"Lives Lost" in motorway pile-up

Ulysses

Horrific scenes and thoughts with all involved.

Have to agree with the post above, this road for some reason sees a high number of pile ups. I think it's because it's low lying so gets heavy fog regularly.

Been stuck for hours on the road before due to bad crashes..

Same, was stuck there for 2 hours in the summer on the way to Minehead in the pissing rain as there had been a smash just ahead.

Sky News had some pretty horrific footage taken by some ghoul driving past on the opposite carriageway.

Think alot of people have lost their lives tonight. Truly horrendous.

Sky News had some pretty horrific footage taken by some ghoul driving past on the opposite carriageway.

Think alot of people have lost their lives tonight. Truly horrendous.

That crossed my mind too, had to turn off at the first service station as he was traumatised.......... then called sky to sell them the video!! down.gif

The M5 has had its fair share of problems. I remember I was stuck overnight on it when the Tewkesbury floods happened. Its a long drag down the M5 its even longer coming back up the way. I would like to think I'm wrong but the first thing I thought of when I heard about it last night was that someone had fell asleep.

scottish_chicP

Apparently they are investigating whether a nearby fireworks display had anything to do with it, the smoke travelling over the road and making it difficult to see?

Apparently they are investigating whether a nearby fireworks display had anything to do with it, the smoke travelling over the road and making it difficult to see?

That's possible it's not often you drive through smoke on a motorway

That sounds plausible. Add thick smoke to fog and you will get awful visual conditions.

Another theory is that the fireworks may have been a distraction making one or two cars crash (drivers craning their necks to see them, not looking) and then obviously the whole thing snowballed from there.

That sounds plausible. Add thick smoke to fog and you will get awful visual conditions.

Another theory is that the fireworks may have been a distraction making one or two cars crash (drivers craning their necks to see them, not looking) and then obviously the whole thing snowballed from there.

Possibly but I'll stick with my gut instinct that someone fell asleep

Pretty horrific stuff. I used to travel up and down that stretch reasonably often when I lived down there for a while.

Archived