?1.10

ColtbridgeJambo

ColtbridgeJambo

Thats the new fare for an adult on LRT buses.

I thought they brought in the ?1 flat fare to make it easier for those people using the bus so that they did not have to fumble around for change.

Say What Again

Gits got ?1.50 from me this morning.

I only had a ?1 coin and a 50p piece :(

Commander Harris

it means day tickets are better value! you only need approx 2 and 1/3 journeys before you've paid it off now whereas it was 2 and a 1/2 journeys.

how's that for positive spin!

Might as well post this here rather than start a new thread...

LRT buses do my ****ing box in. You see them driving around with the "Best Local Bus Company in Britain 2007" sign on the side - what the **** must other local bus companies be like? I've been on four separate LRT buses that have broken down since last November. Then you've got my bus to work, which is always late because of schoolkids getting on it. Surely they should be taking that into account, since it goes right past Auggies? Dicks.

Then you've got the fact that their offices in town don't open on a Sunday, so if your bus pass runs out on the Saturday you're pretty much ****ed. What the ****'s that all about, do people not get buses on Sundays? We're not in the Outer Hebrides ya *****, and it isn't 1952. Grrr.

You should try living in Queensferry/Kirkliston

?2.20 for a single or ?3.60 for a return on a journey that is about 40 mins in rush hour.

Ray Winstone

This is as bad as the time they raised the childs fair from 50p to 60p!

I used to never have the correct change, always used to get stung for a quid!

LRT buses do my ****ing box in. You see them driving around with the "Best Local Bus Company in Britain 2007" sign on the side - what the **** must other local bus companies be like? I've been on four separate LRT buses that have broken down since last November. Then you've got my bus to work, which is always late because of schoolkids getting on it. Surely they should be taking that into account, since it goes right past Auggies? Dicks.

Then you've got the fact that their offices in town don't open on a Sunday, so if your bus pass runs out on the Saturday you're pretty much ****ed. What the ****'s that all about, do people not get buses on Sundays? We're not in the Outer Hebrides ya *****, and it isn't 1952. Grrr.

You can top your bus pass up in anywhere with a paypoint machine. Scotmid, Your Local (infact most supermarkets id assume) Newsagents etc on a sunday.

oh but they are still **** pathetic excuse for public transport we have in this country.

Ray Winstone

When I used to get the bus home from school if it was any time between 4.40 - 6.00 you would have a hard time getting one. They were usually full and you would have 40 odd kids at the bus stop having to wait anything up to an hour to actually get on a bus!

You can top your bus pass up in anywhere with a paypoint machine. Scotmid, Your Local (infact most supermarkets id assume) Newsagents etc on a sunday.

oh but they are still **** pathetic excuse for public transport we have in this country.

I genuinely had no idea about that :laugh: I've been moaning about it to anyone that'd listen, too.

Still, though, seems a bit old fashioned to not open on a Sunday. People might need their offices for, like...something. :unsure:

ColtbridgeJambo

Another about LRT is that you can get on a 26 bus at Clermiston and get off at Seton Sands for ?1.10.

You can get on a 26 bus at Haymarket station and get off at the next stop at west Maitland Street which is about 300 yds at most and it still costs you ?1.10

:evilno:

Ray Winstone
Another about LRT is that you can get on a 26 bus at Clermiston and get off at Seton Sands for ?1.10.

You can get on a 26 bus at Haymarket station and get off at the next stop at west Maitland Street which is about 300 yds at most and it still costs you ?1.10

:evilno:

Should be walking it anyway!

The older system was better where the price was relative to distance!

By the way - in Aberdeen the bus costs 1.40 minimum.

?2.20 for a single or ?3.60 for a return on a journey that is about 40 mins in rush hour.

Has it gone up again or have I been getting on for ?2.10?:eek:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

FFS are they taking the ****.

I got on for a quid this morning though so it's a moral victory to me.

BoJack Horseman

I was on the bus early doors on Sunday and every single person that got on tried for a pound only to be told it was ?1.10. Someone argued that they used Herbal Essences... ok bad joke. Anyway, evertime, people had to fumbled around to get the extra 10p, they definitely should have made it more obvious. It is a bloody hassle, ?1 was just so easy, change wise. You see that you can buy 21 'city cingles' for ?21?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

It boils my **** that they dont do change

The ones in London cant

Peeing rain the other day and I only had a twenty in my hip so I missed my bus and got wetter and hacked off a shopkeeper bursting a twenty on chuggy

I'm new to public transport

Stuart Lyon

Bought 20 tickets yesterday from the LRT shop on Waverley Bridge so I don't have any hassle looking for the 10p. They should consider something like the Oyster card they have in London for infrequent bus users who can't justify having a bus pass. It has a monetary value which decreases as you use it.

Commander Harris

I've got a friend in kirkliston that I go out to see a fair bit - I'm hoping that Lothian buses will start doing a service there as the 3.60 return is a pain in the ass. I'd be better off just learning to drive!

Commander Harris
Bought 20 tickets yesterday from the LRT shop on Waverley Bridge so I don't have any hassle looking for the 10p. They should consider something like the Oyster card they have in London for infrequent bus users who can't justify having a bus pass. It has a monetary value which decreases as you use it.

I could be wrong but I think there is a pre-paid bus card for Lothian Buses that isn't limited by a period of time. could be wrong though (it's happened twice before. :D)

Nucky Thompson

10p is not that much considering the price of diesel is shooting through the roof:mad: this time last year I was paying 91p a litre now it is ?1.14:evilno:

Sexton Hardcastle

talking of buses...Peebles to Edinburgh is about ?8 return. always late over crowded and the bus driver cant speak english 9 always try get a half). I havent been on one fora a while now but its a disgrace. No wonder folk drive into the town. Would hate to think what it is from Galashiels/Hawick to Edinburgh...then again thats a holiday for folks that far south

I've got a friend in kirkliston that I go out to see a fair bit - I'm hoping that Lothian buses will start doing a service there as the 3.60 return is a pain in the ass. I'd be better off just learning to drive!

Not a chance

Those edinburgh citizens who pay edinburgh council tax are less important to the Edinburgh council owned bus company than those living in midlothian

Its absolutly scandalous a company owned by edinburgh city council who have a major say in their policies if they so wish are happy to supply those living in midlothian such as dalkieth with cheap regular buses, but not those 10 mins out the city centre who are edinburgh residents

what makes it worse is edinburgh council are happy to bring queensferry to a standstill all summer long to use the harbour facilities for the larger ships yes offer us reasomable public services? forget it

Anyone moaning about LRT need to come and sample firsts overpriced shoddy service

and when challenged why LRT refuse to offer us a service they blame it on the fact when they did last offer a service 10-15 years ago that they never got enough custom because 1) they were more expensive than first and 2) offered a **** service

If they came back now and offered us the service everyone else except rural west edinburgh get it would be bitten off their hand

First are a joke and have a shoddy monopoly here ( trains and buses) were we pay a fortune and get crap services

Our only alternative is stagecoach which for most means a 10-15 minute to the bridge walk and the risk the buses will be too full from fife

Nucky Thompson
Kirkliston is classed as Edinburgh, they get all the Edinburgh services and not the west lothian ones. Taxi drivers keep their meters on for Kirkliston but as soon as they go under the bridge on the road to Broxburn it changes to a set fare.

Commander Harris
Kirkliston is classed as Edinburgh, they get all the Edinburgh services and not the west lothian ones. Taxi drivers keep their meters on for Kirkliston but as soon as they go under the bridge on the road to Broxburn it changes to a set fare.

I know. I was just saying that the ?3.60 return on the first bus was a pain and I'd rather be able to use my day ticket on a lothian bus to get out there.

Dean Winchester
Should be walking it anyway!

By the way - in Aberdeen the bus costs 1.40 minimum.

Lies... It was ?1.20 for me when I got the 2 from Union Street to Linksfield :cool:

?1.10 is still mucho cheap for bus travel. costs loads more elsewhere.

except for down here if you use oyster

Ray Winstone
Lies... It was ?1.20 for me when I got the 2 from Union Street to Linksfield :cool:

Meh you were lucky then, I think the bus drivers up there actually just make it up as they go along, having paid different prices for the same trip on several occasions!

Union Street to Linksfield is quite a short trip anyway (presuming you were at the King street end of Union Street)

I have never paid less than 1.40 on a bus in Aberdeen!

BoJack Horseman

I'm sure it's a minimum of 70p for 1-2 stops, although the fares just went up. I just get a ?2.30 day ticket anyway.

CompleteIdiot

The standard Lothian Buses bus fare was 55p in 1996. This just shows how out of control inflation has really been under New Labour.

Lothian buses have done well to maintain their ?1 fare for as long as they have whilst diesel and oil prices have shot through the roof.

For you guys that complain about Lothian Buses. Come outside Edinburgh and sample First Bus. Costs me ?1.40 to get into Falkirk town centre (a taxi for the same journey costs ?3) - just over 1 mile - on a bus barely capable of travelling said mile. And on the off chance you catch a First Bus mechanically sound, you can bet your ass it's absolutely bogging on the inside.

First have done fantastically well with the train services up here, but how they get away with their joke of a bus service is beyond me.

portobellojambo1

I think the problem back then was that most people got on and asked for the cheapest fare Tucks, irrespective of the actual distance they were travelling.

I think they then introduced the ?1 as a sort of coverall cost, so that anything they were losing on longer journeys would be balanced out by those using the buses for shorter distances.

I have always assumed I drink because I use the buses, and not because I actually like alcohol. Whenever I get home from the match/club on a Saturday I usually have a mountain of ?1 coins and smash in my pockets which does for my bus fares for the following week.

Not a chance

Those edinburgh citizens who pay edinburgh council tax are less important to the Edinburgh council owned bus company than those living in midlothian

Its absolutly scandalous a company owned by edinburgh city council who have a major say in their policies if they so wish are happy to supply those living in midlothian such as dalkieth with cheap regular buses, but not those 10 mins out the city centre who are edinburgh residents

what makes it worse is edinburgh council are happy to bring queensferry to a standstill all summer long to use the harbour facilities for the larger ships yes offer us reasomable public services? forget it

Anyone moaning about LRT need to come and sample firsts overpriced shoddy service

and when challenged why LRT refuse to offer us a service they blame it on the fact when they did last offer a service 10-15 years ago that they never got enough custom because 1) they were more expensive than first and 2) offered a **** service

If they came back now and offered us the service everyone else except rural west edinburgh get it would be bitten off their hand

First are a joke and have a shoddy monopoly here ( trains and buses) were we pay a fortune and get crap services

Our only alternative is stagecoach which for most means a 10-15 minute to the bridge walk and the risk the buses will be too full from fife

I know folk who have wrote numerous letter to the Labour council in previous years, and their explanation is that they have to run LRT as a business. I personally think that it would be more sensible business wise to extend the current services.

I'd like to think the current council would have tried to bridge the current public transport gap in West Edinburgh, but due to severe mismanagement by the previous Labour (council) Administration. The new council are trying to work out how they can make much-needed savings.

If I'm being optimistic, I would say their will be a LRT bus service to your parts in the next four years. I hope the SNP take it up as a local policy, as we'd go down a storm.

Trying to fight a Ford Transit won't fix it, mate.

Are we going to have to listen to ramblings until you go back to work?

davemclaren
Not a chance

Lothian Buses is the only municipally owned bus company in Scotland, and is only 91% owned by the City of Edinburgh council and the remainder by the councils in East Lothian, Midlothian and West Lothian. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothian_Buses

Guest juvehearts

hey i understand diesil has went up, but ffs the money gathered from one #22 bus all day is more than enough to cover the cost for the fleet!

the coonsil are just at it if you ask em, just another way of making a few xtra ???'s from the punters of edinburgh.

the thing is that we dont have a choice NOT to pay it because their is no compitition, they hold the monopoly in the city, something which IMO is unfair.

remember a few years ago First tryed to gain an advantage on LRT's biggest routes & they kicked up a stink over it.

went to court & a new law passed that LRT wont go outside edinburgh & first wont take over edinburgh. (or was that a gentleman's agreement?)

put it this way, ask ANY driver & they's still tell you that you can get on for a pound, all it takes is 10 people to put in ?1.20/50 then everyone else is covered for the day.

:evilno::evilno::evilno::evilno::evilno::evilno::evilno:

the general

just cos your ambulance was free mate ... and btw the LRT office near Market Street is open on a Sunday

davemclaren
hey i understand diesil has went up, but ffs the money gathered from one #22 bus all day is more than enough to cover the cost for the fleet!

the coonsil are just at it if you ask em, just another way of making a few xtra ???'s from the punters of edinburgh.

the thing is that we dont have a choice NOT to pay it because their is no compitition, they hold the monopoly in the city, something which IMO is unfair.

remember a few years ago First tryed to gain an advantage on LRT's biggest routes & they kicked up a stink over it.

went to court & a new law passed that LRT wont go outside edinburgh & first wont take over edinburgh. (or was that a gentleman's agreement?)

put it this way, ask ANY driver & they's still tell you that you can get on for a pound, all it takes is 10 people to put in ?1.20/50 then everyone else is covered for the day.

:evilno::evilno::evilno::evilno::evilno::evilno::evilno:

The Corporation Buses do go out of the city. One goes to about 300 yards from my front door and very handy it is too. :)

Nelly Terraces

Lothian Random Transport? Yer havin a giraffe.

I drove past a queue of miserable looking folk getting wet at a bus stop this morning in the Nellstermobile, splashing them as I sped past.

Prices gone up? Get a car.

davemclaren

I drove past a queue of miserable looking folk getting wet at a bus stop this morning in the Nellstermobile, splashing them as I sped past.

Get on the green agenda Nelly!! :P

Guest juvehearts

why?

dont need one, never needed one.

where i work their is nowhere to park & if i did find a parking space, i'd get a parking ticket for my ticket expiring, plus the hassle of taxing it, getting a MOT, then we come down to the price of fuel, the occasional; tyre, oil, anti-freeze, not forgetting to clean it, wax it, polish it, kit it out in all the atire then finally the hassle & cost of actually going thru the driving lesson process.

nah ill stick to a bus thank you, at least I know when im smashed on a saturday night i can stagger to a bus stop & hopefuly grt on the correct bus home.

John Findlay

I may be wrong here but, those criticising LRT I can only assume have not lived in other cities of the UK like Newcastle, Liverpool, Sheffield, Birmingham, Portsmouth and Bristol. Try their bus services and prices and then see how LRT compare.

John

Get a bus pass;)

I reckon this is part of the reason that the fares have went up to the very awkward ?1.10. To encourage folk to get bus passes! Just a theory. Guess what I am doing on pay day? :P

maroonlegions

so its gonna be "feck i have only pound coins and some 50ps":rolleyes:, so you need to get the bus for what ever reason right away , can you picture the amount pf people putting in say ?1.20-?1-50 or more if they are caught out with no 10ps , add that up at the end off the year ,mmmmm, must run into thousands but they have the cheek to put it up.:evilno::rolleyes:

tommythejambo

Was on teh bus this morning and the driver came upstairs, gave someone an address and said "Go there if you want your 90p back"

I reckon this is part of the reason that the fares have went up to the very awkward ?1.10. To encourage folk to get bus passes! Just a theory. Guess what I am doing on pay day? :P

Get drunk? Blow all yer cash on a leather coat?

Archived