Derelict football grounds

Craigieboy

Reading the Easter Rd thread made me think of this.

There is something about derelict football grounds. I remember seeing pictures of Third Lanarks Cathkin Pk when I was a kid & it made an impression on me.

I don't know if it's the fact that thousands of people have once regularly stood & watched games in these places year upon year. It is actually rather sad when you see some of them. Like people have just got up one day & left.

Post any photos you have.

Wimbledon

Reading the Easter Rd thread made me think of this.

There is something about derelict football grounds. I remember seeing pictures of Third Lanarks Cathkin Pk when I was a kid & it made an impression on me.

I don't know if it's the fact that thousands of people have once regularly stood & watched games in these places year upon year. It is actually rather sad when you see some of them. Like people have just got up one day & left.

Post any photos you have.

Wimbledon

Cathkin park is very eerie to me,the only other time I felt that way was when we were fishing the Whiteadder reservoir on a boat and my mate said that there was a village right below us that got flooded in the 60's,made me feel very uneasy,don't know why but both had the same effect.

Captain_Peacock

Scarborough?

As was, I vividly remember a Wolves fan falling through the roof there one game.

Captain_Peacock

Bradford Park Avenue's old ground was derelict for a long time in the 80's. There was a cricket pitch right next door to it & the batting side often had a kick about on the old pitch whilst waiting for wickets to fall.

If I can find any pics online I'll post them, don't have any myself.

Francis Albert

Cathkin park is very eerie to me,the only other time I felt that way was when we were fishing the Whiteadder reservoir on a boat and my mate said that there was a village right below us that got flooded in the 60's,made me feel very uneasy,don't know why but both had the same effect.

Agreed. the first time I saw it I came upon it by chance after taking a walk through the park on our way to Hampden. It is weird. You walk up a wooded hill in an ordinary little park, and, because the football ground is in a hollow, without warning you are suddenl;y at the top of what was the terracing (bits remain) in a large bowl of a 30,000 capacity stadium. Worth a look before they tart it up and tidy it up too much.

a bit off-topic, but heres a short 3 minute clip to prove your mate wasnt bluffing - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p008qc6t

Captain_Peacock

Bradford Park Avenue's old Horton Park Ground.

Bradford%20PA.jpg

Old Turnstiles

bradfordparkavevwhitby2.jpg

Earth embankment at Park Ave that used to be the terrace with the cricket pitch & scorebox in the background.

bradfordparkavevwhitby2.jpg

Cheers for the video clip Jack of Hearts, that was the fella. I watched it on the local evening news, IIRC he survived the fall.

Archived