The Doocot Pub.

Lady jambo

Hi guys,

As many of us all know the Doocot on Ferry Road has been refurbished and is due to open late March,

what I would like to know is how much of a dive did it used to be? or as my other half is asking how much of a rough joint was it?

What was the down fall to place just looking for a general inside to what went on and what kinda place it was? whats your veiws on the doocot

Many thanks

LJ :)

place went downhill when they got rid of scottish newcastle and brought in some company that sold english beer, worst pint in edinburgh,

Used to be heaving everyday ten years ago or so.

However was bought over by John Smiths and took the televisions and all entertainment away.

Changed all the beer etc and was just made pish.

Think the same company own the Crammond Inn aswell..

Quite looking forward to it opening because it should take the majority of jake balls away from ye olde inn on a Saturday night. No longer would i have to take threats from randoms because i stop serving them drink :thumbsup:

As for Scottish and Newcastle beer sales in the late 1970's it was in the top three in Edinburgh. The other two was the Rutland and the Maybury.

Miller Jambo 60

LOL.

'Welcome to the Doocot, get in ma face and I will :smashit: '

laugh.gif Was in it a few times , once to get a bus to ibrox, was ok as pubs go.

When Dick Porteous (not Charlie) and his son Richard ran it in the late 60s and early 70s they cleaned-up the pub. The "baddies" relocated to the Ferryboat,the Gunner and the now demolished Willie Muir. There were a few spats en route but they got the Birdcage lounge built and that proved very popular for a few years. It was the best selling beer pub in the east of Scotland during this time. I worked there for Dick Porteous for about 3 years. Planning on going there with another ex-barman when it re-opens. I hope it gets back to being a good pub.

Doo'cot was a great pub. You didn't realise it until it changed to a Samuel Smiths pub. I reckon it took in more per weekend in the old doo'cot than the sam smiths one took in in a month.

It had it's fair share of trouble at times like a lot of local pubs in housing schemes but all in all it was sound.

Taz, you showing your age remembering big Dick running it. That was a long time ago :lol:

When Dick Porteous (not Charlie) and his son Richard ran it in the late 60s and early 70s they cleaned-up the pub. The "baddies" relocated to the Ferryboat,the Gunner and the now demolished Willie Muir. There were a few spats en route but they got the Birdcage lounge built and that proved very popular for a few years. It was the best selling beer pub in the east of Scotland during this time. I worked there for Dick Porteous for about 3 years. Planning on going there with another ex-barman when it re-opens. I hope it gets back to being a good pub.

Ah....the Willie Muir.....Edinburgh's answer to The Sarry Heid.

The Treasurer

As for Scottish and Newcastle beer sales in the late 1970's it was in the top three in Edinburgh. The other two was the Rutland and the Maybury.

I believe that it's beer sales were actually near the top for the whole of Scotland (if not the top)

As some have pointed out it was a great, well run pub that was allowed to go downhill when it changed hands.

It is hoped that the refurbishment will restore it to it's former "glory" thumbsup.gif

However was bought over by John Smiths and took the televisions and all entertainment away.

Samuel Smith's.

The Cramond Inn is cheap for beer but serves the worst food on the planet. No clue how to run the place.

The Willie Muir - the only pub in Edinburgh with a Camel Park for the Arabs that used it!

Aw c'mon Stuart, it wasn't that bad. It was always good for a game of pool. You just had to know who you were allowed to beat and who not to :lol:

Jo I was only ever in it once and that was to swap some stock from the Doocot. As I walked in I could feel the stares of those who were barred form the Doocot so I didn't hang about.

Tam Welsh and Dai Broon (Brown) were two of the local hardmen who got their just desserts for causing trouble in the Doocot.

Doo'cot was a great pub. You didn't realise it until it changed to a Samuel Smiths pub. I reckon it took in more per weekend in the old doo'cot than the sam smiths one took in in a month.

It had it's fair share of trouble at times like a lot of local pubs in housing schemes but all in all it was sound.

Taz, you showing your age remembering big Dick running it. That was a long time ago :lol:

the person running it (cant remember name,son was running the balmoral when it had the fire) says they lost up to 10 grand first month it changed hands

Used to get the four pint draughtpacks on a Sunday night. Magic.

Remember a boy going banzai there mid eighties in the lounge bar one Sunday night. Tables, chairs and glasses getting launched into the gantry, kinda just sat there in amazement.

Pretty sure I remember a woman coming in on a Sunday night into public bar with a plate of food for someone and not best pleased. Did go on a bus to Killie midweek from there once as well.

Used to get the four pint draughtpacks on a Sunday night. Magic.

Remember a boy going banzai there mid eighties in the lounge bar one Sunday night. Tables, chairs and glasses getting launched into the gantry, kinda just sat there in amazement.

Pretty sure I remember a woman coming in on a Sunday night into public bar with a plate of food for someone and not best pleased. Did go on a bus to Killie midweek from there once as well.

and he had the nerve to ask the barstaff for salt and pepper

the person running it (cant remember name,son was running the balmoral when it had the fire) says they lost up to 10 grand first month it changed hands

just remembered haston brian & sandra

place went downhill when they got rid of scottish newcastle and brought in some company that sold english beer, worst pint in edinburgh,

FACT.

Quite looking forward to it opening because it should take the majority of jake balls away from ye olde inn on a Saturday night. No longer would i have to take threats from randoms because i stop serving them drink :thumbsup:

Sam Smiths.

Ah....the Willie Muir.....Edinburgh's answer to The Sarry Heid.

Where they used too, dont know if they still do, serve Buckfast on draught. woot.gif

In the 80's as far as I know, there were only 2 pubs in Edinburgh that served up the magnificent creamy 80 Bob (mothers milk) from S&N, were the Doo'cot and the Diggers, it tasted different anywhere else. thumbsup.gif

I remember having a drink in it after playing football on some hellish football pitch nearby in 2005

They only had some obscure german ale and that cola you get in shops that cost about 29p for two litres.

The pies that we were given were good though.

The doo'cot was a great put till Sam smiths got it

The tollcross bus went from there

It was my local in till I move down to the borders

Hi guys thanks so much for all your opinions,

myself and the other half have applied to run the doocot when it opens in March, yes it's the same company that runs the crammond inn, and it is going to be the english beer and no tv's nor music again. Starting to wonder if this is going to be such a good idea as if there is no music or tv not sure we can regain nor keep punters.

LJ

Drylaw Hearts

myself and the other half have applied to run the doocot when it opens in March, yes it's the same company that runs the crammond inn, and it is going to be the english beer and no tv's nor music again. Starting to wonder if this is going to be such a good idea as if there is no music or tv not sure we can regain nor keep punters.

LJ

I really hate to put a spanner in your works...

But unless The Doo'cot has TV, Skysports, Music etc it will struggle as most of it's old regulars have moved to pastures new where they can watch a match or put a quid in the jukebox.

It was losing an absolute fortune every week under a great and well liked landlady and not even a major refurbishment will return the old Roadhouse to its former glory.

Sam Smiths has killed one of the best local bars in Edinburgh.

However...

If you do take it over I wish you all the best.

Never been to the Doocot, but have been to a few Sam Smith pubs in England.Its the lack of choice which put me off. I like a pint of real ale and from what I remember it was only their bitter or Paulener lager? they sold. The spirits were all there own brand as were the soft drinks/mixers.

It put me off and I would imagine a lot of others. Although The Cardinal in Westminster was the cheapest pub in the area by a long way.

LJ

LJ,

Apologies if this is not what you want to hear, but if it is Sam Smiths beer I fear you will be fighting to keep your pub upright. Can I ask, you don't need to answer if you want, if there is a specific reason you have picked the Doocot? Would you look at running another pub in Edinburgh?

If you want to look at other pubs in Edinburgh, PM me, I may be able to give you another option.

I really hate to put a spanner in your works...

But unless The Doo'cot has TV, Skysports, Music etc it will struggle as most of it's old regulars have moved to pastures new where they can watch a match or put a quid in the jukebox.

It was losing an absolute fortune every week under a great and well liked landlady and not even a major refurbishment will return the old Roadhouse to its former glory.

Sam Smiths has killed one of the best local bars in Edinburgh.

However...

If you do take it over I wish you all the best.

Have to echo that.

The Doo'cot WAS one of the biggest grossing pubs in Scotland back in the day. It needed really tight control in its hey day and for the most part, thats what it got, although even then it got completely out of hand on a few ocassions and has a couple of "in house" murders to its fine history.

Its a massive pub and you need to fill it to make money from it. Filling that pub, to be honest, would not be possible under the same brewer that had it before. Locals deserted the place in droves for that very reason and wont go back if that isnt changed, no matter how good a refurb its had. You are then reliant on whats left of the locals, passing trade, plus novelty effect that you might or might not be able to retain. Filling the pub with locals would also bring other problems, because some of them are frankly, not very nice people. and I say that as a local myself.

Basically its a local pub in a localised area and if the locals dont/wont use it, its fecked.

BIG TAM DURY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o

wrong pub tam had nothing to do with the doocot it was the ferryboat he had

Ahh the Doocot pub. Big Dick Porteous with his Two Alsatian dugs. That as a bairn I took great pleasure in winding up but, only because there was an eight feet wire fence between me and the dugs. Saturday lunch-time in the 70s you couldnt move in the bar(men only, women only allowed in the Lounge)must have been 300-400 men in there on a Saturday lunch-time and yes compared to the Ferryboat, Gunner, The now demolished Willie Muir and the Anchor Inn. The Doocot was an Oasis in a desert of local pubs.

John

John,Woman were allowed in the Family Bar and the Cocktail Bar upstairs. Only the public Bar and the Games Room were men only.

Have to echo that.

The Doo'cot WAS one of the biggest grossing pubs in Scotland back in the day. It needed really tight control in its hey day and for the most part, thats what it got, although even then it got completely out of hand on a few ocassions and has a couple of "in house" murders to its fine history.

Its a massive pub and you need to fill it to make money from it. Filling that pub, to be honest, would not be possible under the same brewer that had it before. Locals deserted the place in droves for that very reason and wont go back if that isnt changed, no matter how good a refurb its had. You are then reliant on whats left of the locals, passing trade, plus novelty effect that you might or might not be able to retain. Filling the pub with locals would also bring other problems, because some of them are frankly, not very nice people. and I say that as a local myself.

Basically its a local pub in a localised area and if the locals dont/wont use it, its fecked.

Are you sure you're not thinking about the Ferryboat?

Drunk in the Doo'cot for years and can't remember any murders there.

Where are you from as i see you say you are a local?

Are you sure you're not thinking about the Ferryboat?

Drunk in the Doo'cot for years and can't remember any murders there.

Where are you from as i see you say you are a local?

I remember two murders related to the Doo'cot, although one bloke was found outside in the car park the following morning and such was the "tight knitted" nature of the locals, no one ever said whether he was in the pub the night before or not. The other one was a glassing to the jugular/carotid with an ashtray which redecorated the lounge a nice red colour. Both were in the 70's as far as I remember. Cant remember who got killed or who done it.

Strangely enough, the DooCot was actually the best and probably the safest pub in the area, if you kept yourself to yourself no-one bothered you.

The Ferryboat had its share of near death and actual death experiences as well in its hey day. The Gunner/Penny Farthing was like Beirut and the Willie Muir was a terrorist training camp, in fact no terrorist group Ive ever heard of would have the bottle to enter the place.

Ive lived and/or worked in the general area from the mid 70's to the late 80's, then moved around the city and back in Drylaw now. People wouldnt believe now how wild it used to be back in the day.

or it could have been harry and davie

If it was a sunday night it'd definately be Harry and Davie :lol:

I remember two murders related to the Doo'cot, although one bloke was found outside in the car park the following morning and such was the "tight knitted" nature of the locals, no one ever said whether he was in the pub the night before or not. The other one was a glassing to the jugular/carotid with an ashtray which redecorated the lounge a nice red colour. Both were in the 70's as far as I remember. Cant remember who got killed or who done it.

Strangely enough, the DooCot was actually the best and probably the safest pub in the area, if you kept yourself to yourself no-one bothered you.

The Ferryboat had its share of near death and actual death experiences as well in its hey day. The Gunner/Penny Farthing was like Beirut and the Willie Muir was a terrorist training camp, in fact no terrorist group Ive ever heard of would have the bottle to enter the place.

Ive lived and/or worked in the general area from the mid 70's to the late 80's, then moved around the city and back in Drylaw now. People wouldnt believe now how wild it used to be back in the day.

70's is a bit before my time. I remember when the Willie Muir was turned over looking for UVF guns and such like, although they never found anything. That was when Brian Haston senior had it, he later went on to manage the Doo'cot before retiring and leaving his wife Moira to run it herself. Mind you she was always the one running the Doo'cot, Brian was there more to keep the trouble down

The Real Maroonblood

70's is a bit before my time. I remember when the Willie Muir was turned over looking for UVF guns and such like, although they never found anything. That was when Brian Haston senior had it, he later went on to manage the Doo'cot before retiring and leaving his wife Moira to run it herself. Mind you she was always the one running the Doo'cot, Brian was there more to keep the trouble down

It sounds like a classy joint.

:whistling:

I forgot to say the ladies were also allowed in the downstairs lounge.

I don't remember any murders in the pub but I do recall one of the my part time colleagues, Duncan (can't remember his surname) was murdered in Telford near where he stayed. He always worked in the games room must have been in his 50s when I worked there. He was a wee,quiet chap. Can't recall the circumstances of his murder.

Archived