Jump to content


Edinburgh Nightclubs of Yesteryear


  • Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 WavyGravy

WavyGravy

    Squad Member

  • Registered Users A
  • 1,271 posts
  • 118 topics

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:15 AM

Evening people.  Looking for a wee bit of help here.  Any Kickbackers of a certain vintage care to share info On Edinburghs nightclub scene in the 80's into the early 90's.  Preferably names, venues, what said buildings are used for now and also musical styles.  Any stories, reminicences would be good to.  The answers may be used for an on-line article on Scottish nighclubs through time, so if you dont want any covers blown, be careful what you say!!!!  Cheers people in advance.

#2 Carl Weathers

Carl Weathers

    Reserve Team

  • Paid Member
  • 5,249 posts
  • 167 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:25 AM

I've heard lots of stories about Wilkie house, but it was just before my time (late 90's).

#3 Beverley

Beverley

    Miss Behaving

  • Paid Member
  • 11,165 posts
  • 45 topics
  • LocationEdinburgh

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:30 AM

i used to love going to cinderellas on st stephens st (i think) when i was an underager

the cav used to be outer limits/coasters and i went to the under 18s every saturday.
there used to be an old woman who sat in the ladies loo (where the cloakroom is now i think) as you went in the door.  she was there to stop the kids drining, but we used to sneak a quarter bottle of voddy in with us (aged 15) and share them with her so we could stay the the club proper opened.

50p or something to get into the under 18s disco, and we would be there til 3am when my mum would pick us up hahaha

mum never had any problems with this as long as she knew where we were and if we WERE gonna drink then it was only a couple.  

it was always threatened that if i was even tipsy, she'd stop me doing it.

think she preferred to know where i was and what i was doing as kids were always gonna try it anyway.  she knew where was and picked me up, ergo i'd be safe.

#4 robbo1874

robbo1874

    Season Ticket Holder

  • Registered Users D
  • 948 posts
  • 41 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:47 AM

 WavyGravy, on 29 January 2011 - 12:15 AM, said:

Evening people.  Looking for a wee bit of help here.  Any Kickbackers of a certain vintage care to share info On Edinburghs nightclub scene in the 80's into the early 90's.  Preferably names, venues, what said buildings are used for now and also musical styles.  Any stories, reminicences would be good to.  The answers may be used for an on-line article on Scottish nighclubs through time, so if you dont want any covers blown, be careful what you say!!!!  Cheers people in advance.
The Hoochie(above outer limits) was one of the first clubs in Edinburgh to play house music before it went massive.I would say about 86.Might be a bit of with the year.  it wasnt just housre then it was all forms of black music.This was started by Yogi and Warren after previous clubs there stopped(The clubs were Texas and The Hoochie Coochie Club).
This was a time when you had discos(normal punters) and clubs punters  with a more serious aprouch to the music,lifestyle fashion etc.This was my main haunt but you had The Shake club and The Kangsroo club both in The Place ,Victoria St.Kangaroo was done by a guy Eric that used to work in a clothes shop called Ricci on Blair st.A year or so later you started to get a lot more thugs/hoolies going and the atmosphere changed and it wasnt the same.
The drugs then were speed,disco biscuits,new yorkers and a whole lot more.Some truly mad times as an 18/19 year old.
Thats my breif discription that i can remember of the time.All of the above may be completely wrong though so if anyone remembers better than me fell free to amend.

#5 wibble

wibble

    BAMMED

  • Paid Member
  • 5,843 posts
  • 310 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:13 AM

 robbo1874, on 29 January 2011 - 12:47 AM, said:

The Hoochie(above outer limits) was one of the first clubs in Edinburgh to play house music before it went massive.I would say about 86.Might be a bit of with the year.  it wasnt just housre then it was all forms of black music.This was started by Yogi and Warren after previous clubs there stopped(The clubs were Texas and The Hoochie Coochie Club).
This was a time when you had discos(normal punters) and clubs punters  with a more serious aprouch to the music,lifestyle fashion etc.This was my main haunt but you had The Shake club and The Kangsroo club both in The Place ,Victoria St.Kangaroo was done by a guy Eric that used to work in a clothes shop called Ricci on Blair st.A year or so later you started to get a lot more thugs/hoolies going and the atmosphere changed and it wasnt the same.
The drugs then were speed,disco biscuits,new yorkers and a whole lot more.Some truly mad times as an 18/19 year old.
Thats my breif discription that i can remember of the time.All of the above may be completely wrong though so if anyone remembers better than me fell free to amend.

Used to see a lot of indie bands in the Hoochie Coochie Club. Marc Riley and the Creepers, The Woodentops, The Bodines etc. This was between 85-87.

#6 inspector

inspector

    Squad Member

  • Paid Member
  • 1,620 posts
  • 21 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:23 AM

Do we include 'clubs' such as Clouds ? Loved the place when l was 15-ish

#7 robbo1874

robbo1874

    Season Ticket Holder

  • Registered Users D
  • 948 posts
  • 41 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:26 AM

At the original Hooch/ Texas I remember seeing the Christians the week after they were on the tube(Chanel 4). Also saw  Norman Cook(Housemartins) DJ just before he became AKA Fat Boy Slim. Maybe these will help confirm my dates. I'm pretty sure they are accurate !

#8 robbo1874

robbo1874

    Season Ticket Holder

  • Registered Users D
  • 948 posts
  • 41 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:27 AM

 inspector, on 29 January 2011 - 01:23 AM, said:

Do we include 'clubs' such as Clouds ? Loved the place when l was 15-ish
Did you ever go to the Norhern Allnighters? They were meant to be epic.

#9 vegas-voss

vegas-voss

    Season Ticket Holder

  • Paid Member
  • 16,930 posts
  • 908 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:31 AM

Used to love the Meltdowns at Calton Studios total sweat box and a dive of a place but so much better than these nice clean clubs with nice decor.9c's was also good  basically if it was a sweatbox I liked it.It was pretty much all about the music then not what a club looked like.90-94 where my clubbing years,now I can't be stars with the places much much prefer pubs.

Edited by vegas-voss, 29 January 2011 - 01:32 AM.


#10 inspector

inspector

    Squad Member

  • Paid Member
  • 1,620 posts
  • 21 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:40 AM

 robbo1874, on 29 January 2011 - 01:27 AM, said:

Did you ever go to the Norhern Allnighters? They were meant to be epic.
Not that l remember. It only took me and my mates 15 minutes to pick up the best totty and then move on.
Our success rate was usually 100%......................bugger all




























Nothing's changed in 30 years....sigh

#11 jambo121

jambo121

    Junior Member

  • Registered Users A
  • 571 posts
  • 16 topics

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:42 AM

In Chronological order

Dillinger in King Stables Road around 1987/8 was my first experience as a wee underager along with Busters think even then it was Craig Smith who DJ'd there.
Then Fresh around 1988 as well Brian who owns the Citru had a club called Hades there with all sorts of weird and wonderful music and people to boot.
You had a classic House and Hip Hop club in the Cowgate, Spanish Harlem, ran by Yogi until Hobo Casuals decided to pour paint in the dance floor for protection money.
Jaffa took over from Dillinger in about 93 and Thursday Indie nights were amazin, open til 5am during the Festival with 20 Voddies all night. Many a great night had in there but can only remember very few.

A few other clubs that we hit for a change of scene Madisons, more of a rock night around 93/94, The Venue - Various gigs and Club nights, one of my mates even saw U2 here when they were wee boys, we had a great night at one of the many Good Bye Mr McKenzie gigs there. Late 80's Calton Studios some great all nighters, saw the Rebel MC there before he died, not a boast just saying.

Edited by jambo121, 29 January 2011 - 01:44 AM.


#12 Brian Whittakers Tache

Brian Whittakers Tache

    Mostly Harmless

  • Paid Member_10
  • 4,119 posts
  • 280 topics
  • LocationDownwind of the San Giro

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:00 AM

First foray into Edinburgh clubs was Ouer Limits at 16 (about 1984) From there was Cinderellas and Zenatec in King Stables Road.

From there I graduated to Busters for many years.

Moved back to Edinburgh in 1991 and the Mission, Soma at the Venue and La Belle Angele were clubs of choice.

Last club in Edinburg I think I was in was Honeycomb.

#13 inspector

inspector

    Squad Member

  • Paid Member
  • 1,620 posts
  • 21 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

 Brian_Whittaker, on 29 January 2011 - 02:00 AM, said:

First foray into Edinburgh clubs was Ouer Limits at 16 (about 1984) From there was Cinderellas and Zenatec in King Stables Road.

From there I graduated to Busters for many years.

Moved back to Edinburgh in 1991 and the Mission, Soma at the Venue and La Belle Angele were clubs of choice.

Last club in Edinburg I think I was in was Honeycomb.
Was Busters Browns at the back of Bread Street? Always thought it was a quality club if it was there.

#14 Only a Game

Only a Game

    Addicted. Help Me !!

  • Registered Users A
  • 9,309 posts
  • 156 topics

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:00 AM

In the 70's (outwith the OP's parameters but never mind) those who werent around at time will scarcely believe that all the clubs in Edinburgh were alcohol free (in terms of buying it at the bar that is)

Our club of choice was the Americana, on the site of the Old Meat Market (how appropriate)in Fountainbridge and what became Fat Sams, then Annabels ( where there was an infamous murder in its latter years and a barmaid ( the daughter of a notorius Edinburgh gangster) was robbed, strangled and hung up in the bar to make it look like a suicide. After that it was another club for a while ( forget the name) then became derelict and is now shiny new apartments I think.

Anyway, The Americana was a dump of a place but Mecca for young men as it was full of young ladies of easy virtue. Stopped going there when the big Edinburgh gangs of the time started using it as a battle ground on a weekly basis. Clouds (now the Cav) was a little bit classier but we usually didnt get in there as they had a fairly strict door policy and frankly, they were a bit up themselves anyway.

The glory days of clubbing in Edinburgh really started when an often forgotten club called The West End Club opened in Princes Street ( above a jewellers and near to what is now a record shop I think ( between Castle St and South Charlotte St) They cunningly exploited a loophole in the then Draconian drinking laws (10pm everything shut AND I MEAN EVERYTHING) which allowed for late drinking provided a meal was served. Most of the time the "meal" was a crusty auld pie and quite often they didnt even bother with that pretence. It was a great club venue for a while until it was populated by "glassers" and it quickly became unsafe to even look at anyone in there, male or female, without requiring stitches immediatly afterwards

Cinderellas in Stockbridge was about the only other decent place to spring up around that time. It was called something else before Cinderellas but I cant remember what. Beverley might remember ?? Getting past the door policy there made you a bit of a hero in our crowd of mates and you felt good for a week just for getting in !!!
EDIT. It was called Tiffanys at one point but I cant remember if that was before or after it was called Cinderellas

Edited by Only a Game !, 29 January 2011 - 03:03 AM.


#15 Coco

Coco

    Season Ticket Holder

  • Paid Member
  • 13,631 posts
  • 201 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:06 AM

Shag and Katch at the Mission

Cubik at 9c

Teasage at the Citrus

Disco Inferno at the Venue

#16

  • Guests
  • 84 topics

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:11 AM

My era consisted of the venue,calton studios,wilkie house,the mission and as tunes progressed the carbolic frolic.Tried the lothian rd not to my liking,and i am proud to say I'm 39 and I've never been in the jurassic park!!

#17 Rab

Rab

    Talks about John Colquhoun a lot

  • Paid Member
  • 2,346 posts
  • 66 topics
  • LocationSilver Spring MD, USA

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:28 AM

Wot no Pure?

Best club Edinburgh has seen in my and many others lifetimes. Mid 90s when all the other clubs were going down the wanky housey-garagey-poppy shite road, Pure was still booking guys like Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson.

Special mention also for Sativa, Fri nights in Edinburgh in those days were legendary.

And while we're at it, what about Taste? Always good for a laugh, anyone who went there was always in a ****-it-i-aint-going-to-work-tomorrow mood and just went wild!

#18 The Gasman

The Gasman

    Nobody's Hero

  • Registered Users A
  • 11,853 posts
  • 15 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:07 AM

Sinatras - St James Centre
Top O' The Walk - St James Centre
Bobby McGees - Rose St Lane Nth
Buster Browns - Market Street
Clouds - Tollcross
The Nightclub - The Playhouse
Tiffany's - St Stephen's Street
Calton Studios - Calton Road
Cinderellas - St Stephen's St
Fat Sam's - Tollcross
The Fountain - Barnton
The Place - Victoria Street

All places "visited" on occasions from 70's - 80's, and while not really what the OP was after may jog some memories. :blink:

I will cry myself to sleep now, as I realise that I am too old for most of the "Clubs of Yesteryear" mentioned by others... :unsure:

Edited by The Gasman, 29 January 2011 - 06:18 AM.


#19 JT1959

JT1959

    Newbie

  • Paid Member_10
  • 613 posts
  • 186 topics

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

J.J's - East Fountainbridge.

#20 systemx

systemx

    shedboy

  • Paid Member
  • 2,128 posts
  • 46 topics
  • LocationAlongtheA1

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:42 AM

 robbo1874, on 29 January 2011 - 01:27 AM, said:

Did you ever go to the Norhern Allnighters? They were meant to be epic.

Went to them all indeed they were epic ,probably the best Nighter experience ever ,even better than The Casino.DJ list and some of the sounds played on the Bumpin and Stompin site.



Another club of the time Valentinos (next to the Muscular Arms?)




#21 Chesterâ„¢

Chesterâ„¢

    I Dont Advertise!

  • Paid Member
  • 8,255 posts
  • 10 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:58 AM

 Rab, on 29 January 2011 - 03:28 AM, said:

And while we're at it, what about Taste? Always good for a laugh, anyone who went there was always in a ****-it-i-aint-going-to-work-tomorrow mood and just went wild!

Speaking of which, they had their last ever, after 17 years on Jan 2nd. A very sad day. :(

#22 interista

interista

    Squad Member

  • Paid Member_10
  • 1,181 posts
  • 148 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

Thunderball

#23 Devries4

Devries4

    Season Ticket Holder

  • Paid Member_10
  • 1,291 posts
  • 332 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

mid-late eighties

The Cats Pyjamas - Stables Road I think -  always seemed to be quiet (maybe me though)  
Mad Hatters - Royal Mile -  if I mind right it was popular with the tourists
Cinderellas - used to like the night where you chose how much you wanted to pay to get in, and then get twice that back in drink vouchers.
Buster Browns - was ok. Pretty sure Stephen Hendry was there more often than not.
Outer Limits - didn'y go there that much and don't remember ever being in the Hootchie Cootchie Club.
Th Red Hot Chilli Pepper Club?? Went there a few times but nothing memorable
There was one downstairs just off Shandwick Place but canny mind it's name. Was busy but don't think it lasted very long.

Was plenty good pubs for underagers back then as well

#24 davemclaren

davemclaren

    Season Ticket Holder

  • Paid Member
  • 14,551 posts
  • 167 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

Was never really a club person but did frequent Valentinos and the West End Club on the odd occasion. Alos have recollection of going to the Royal Mile Club ( above the crepery ) on a few occasions.  :whistling:

#25 Carl Weathers

Carl Weathers

    Reserve Team

  • Paid Member
  • 5,249 posts
  • 186 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

View PostRab, on 29 January 2011 - 03:28 AM, said:

Wot no Pure?

Best club Edinburgh has seen in my and many others lifetimes. Mid 90s when all the other clubs were going down the wanky housey-garagey-poppy shite road, Pure was still booking guys like Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson.

Special mention also for Sativa, Fri nights in Edinburgh in those days were legendary.

And while we're at it, what about Taste? Always good for a laugh, anyone who went there was always in a ****-it-i-aint-going-to-work-tomorrow mood and just went wild!

The last ever Taste was about two weeks ago.

It wasn't a night I went to often, but did manage to see Nick Warren on a Sunday night once.

#26 systemx

systemx

    shedboy

  • Paid Member
  • 2,128 posts
  • 215 topics
  • LocationAlongtheA1

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

Wasn,t the Cats PJs not at Abbeyhill in what was Stewarts Ballroom..Flannigans off Rose St. was another

#27 Tams bird

Tams bird

    Co-Owner

  • Paid Member
  • 9,435 posts
  • 429 topics
  • Location500 yards from tynecastle.

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:59 AM

View PostThe Gasman, on 29 January 2011 - 06:07 AM, said:

Sinatras - St James Centre
Top O' The Walk - St James Centre
Bobby McGees - Rose St Lane Nth
Buster Browns - Market Street
Clouds - Tollcross
The Nightclub - The Playhouse
Tiffany's - St Stephen's Street
Calton Studios - Calton Road
Cinderellas - St Stephen's St
Fat Sam's - Tollcross
The Fountain - Barnton
The Place - Victoria Street

All places "visited" on occasions from 70's - 80's, and while not really what the OP was after may jog some memories. :blink:

I will cry myself to sleep now, as I realise that I am too old for most of the "Clubs of Yesteryear" mentioned by others... :unsure:


I remember most of them... Tho not the Fountain or The place.. Everybodys in Blair St i went to cos my pals sister owned it and free rink... Im the same as you never heard of most of the places on this thread...

Edited by Tams bird, 29 January 2011 - 11:00 AM.


#28 jambovambo

jambovambo

    Tired of all this inertia

  • Paid Member
  • 8,099 posts
  • 184 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

Look up Edinburgh Gig Archive ... The London Hearts of Edinburgh venues ( actually, Davey, it's not a patch on yours ...)

#29 Marvin

Marvin

    The paranoid android

  • Paid Member
  • 10,134 posts
  • 96 topics
  • LocationThe starship Heart of Gold

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

The Calton Studios, Banana Jax next door to Century 2000 to and of course Pure. :thumbsup:

Edited by Mr Nice, 29 January 2011 - 11:29 AM.


#30 Drylaw Hearts

Drylaw Hearts

    1st Team Squad Member

  • Paid Member
  • 20,377 posts
  • 2 topics

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:30 AM

The Edge on George Street and Walkers on Shandwick Place.

Both regularly full of nutters.

Edited by Drylaw Hearts, 29 January 2011 - 11:30 AM.


#31 btian

btian

    Newbie

  • Registered Users A
  • 20 posts
  • 111 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

View PostOnly a Game !, on 29 January 2011 - 03:00 AM, said:

In the 70's (outwith the OP's parameters but never mind) those who werent around at time will scarcely believe that all the clubs in Edinburgh were alcohol free (in terms of buying it at the bar that is)

Our club of choice was the Americana, on the site of the Old Meat Market (how appropriate)in Fountainbridge and what became Fat Sams, then Annabels ( where there was an infamous murder in its latter years and a barmaid ( the daughter of a notorius Edinburgh gangster) was robbed, strangled and hung up in the bar to make it look like a suicide. After that it was another club for a while ( forget the name) then became derelict and is now shiny new apartments I think.

Anyway, The Americana was a dump of a place but Mecca for young men as it was full of young ladies of easy virtue. Stopped going there when the big Edinburgh gangs of the time started using it as a battle ground on a weekly basis. Clouds (now the Cav) was a little bit classier but we usually didnt get in there as they had a fairly strict door policy and frankly, they were a bit up themselves anyway.

The glory days of clubbing in Edinburgh really started when an often forgotten club called The West End Club opened in Princes Street ( above a jewellers and near to what is now a record shop I think ( between Castle St and South Charlotte St) They cunningly exploited a loophole in the then Draconian drinking laws (10pm everything shut AND I MEAN EVERYTHING) which allowed for late drinking provided a meal was served. Most of the time the "meal" was a crusty auld pie and quite often they didnt even bother with that pretence. It was a great club venue for a while until it was populated by "glassers" and it quickly became unsafe to even look at anyone in there, male or female, without requiring stitches immediatly afterwards

Cinderellas in Stockbridge was about the only other decent place to spring up around that time. It was called something else before Cinderellas but I cant remember what. Beverley might remember ?? Getting past the door policy there made you a bit of a hero in our crowd of mates and you felt good for a week just for getting in !!!
EDIT. It was called Tiffanys at one point but I cant remember if that was before or after it was called Cinderellas

Cinderellas was Tiffanys and The West End Club used to be called The International or the Nash as we all called it back then...Also Flannigans in Rose Street Lane :P

#32 heartgarfunkel

heartgarfunkel

    FTH

  • Haymarket Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts
  • 4 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

Great thread.  I've got a vague, extremely underage memory of 'Palmers' up the Bridges, can anyone mind it?

#33 Governor Tarkin

Governor Tarkin

    Aye right.

  • Paid Member
  • 1,454 posts
  • 336 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

The Paradox Club on a Friday at the Calton Studios, and used to do a bit of DJing at Cubic at the 9c Victoria St too. Was only 17 at the time so technically shouldn't have even been in the club.
Happy days. Brain cells still pickled.

#34 Gershwin

Gershwin

    Camden Toon

  • Registered Users A
  • 13,048 posts
  • 280 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

The Venue is still my favourite club in Edinburgh. What is it now? I'm sure they were supposed to turn it into flats but is it not some kind of gallery now...

#35 Brian Whittakers Tache

Brian Whittakers Tache

    Mostly Harmless

  • Paid Member_10
  • 4,119 posts
  • 41 topics
  • LocationDownwind of the San Giro

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

Misread the OP

Cinderella's was in Stockbridge and it burnt down (as nightclubs tended to do in the Eighties)
Busters is still there, no idea whats its called these days
Zenatec was in King Stables Road and has changed names countless times
Century 2000 became The Picture House (fierst went there when it was the Caley Palais)
Outer Limits is the Cavendish now? Or Jurrasic Park as it was know when I was in my mid twenties
Mission is now Espionage (?) on Victoria Street. Brilliant times had in there in what was Edinburghs most socially diverse club at the time.
La Belle Angelle was on the Cowgate and disappeared in a gas explosion
The Venue is now offices!!

#36 robbo1874

robbo1874

    Season Ticket Holder

  • Registered Users D
  • 948 posts
  • 744 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

View Postsystemx, on 29 January 2011 - 08:42 AM, said:

Went to them all indeed they were epic ,probably the best Nighter experience ever ,even better than The Casino.DJ list and some of the sounds played on the Bumpin and Stompin site.
I was too young for Coasters,gutted  missed it as people I have spoken to say it was a bit special.Searling always speaks highly of it.


Another club of the time Valentinos (next to the Muscular Arms?)

Edited by robbo1874, 29 January 2011 - 11:49 AM.


#37 Miller Jambo 60

Miller Jambo 60

    BANNED

  • Registered Users B
  • 14,148 posts
  • 215 topics

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:50 AM

View PostWavyGravy, on 29 January 2011 - 12:15 AM, said:

Evening people.  Looking for a wee bit of help here.  Any Kickbackers of a certain vintage care to share info On Edinburghs nightclub scene in the 80's into the early 90's.  Preferably names, venues, what said buildings are used for now and also musical styles.  Any stories, reminicences would be good to.  The answers may be used for an on-line article on Scottish nighclubs through time, so if you dont want any covers blown, be careful what you say!!!!  Cheers people in advance.

Bobby magees in Rose street was the place in the 80s.
Someone stole my 150 pound leather jacket, and i nicely asked the bouncers to help me get it back.
Ended up getting thrown outPosted Image
Doug.

#38 Tams bird

Tams bird

    Co-Owner

  • Paid Member
  • 9,435 posts
  • 280 topics
  • Location500 yards from tynecastle.

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

I used to go to Bobby Mcgee's a lot.. I never stole your jacket...


What was the name of the one in princes Street above watches of switzerland i think..  All very fuzzy in them days..

#39 Brian Whittakers Tache

Brian Whittakers Tache

    Mostly Harmless

  • Paid Member_10
  • 4,119 posts
  • 89 topics
  • LocationDownwind of the San Giro

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

View PostTams bird, on 29 January 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

I used to go to Bobby Mcgee's a lot.. I never stole your jacket...


What was the name of the one in princes Street above watches of switzerland i think..  All very fuzzy in them days..

Fire Island?

#40 southside1874

southside1874

    Junior Member

  • Registered Users D
  • 5,621 posts
  • 908 topics

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

View PostRab, on 29 January 2011 - 03:28 AM, said:

Wot no Pure?

Best club Edinburgh has seen in my and many others lifetimes. Mid 90s when all the other clubs were going down the wanky housey-garagey-poppy shite road, Pure was still booking guys like Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson.

Special mention also for Sativa, Fri nights in Edinburgh in those days were legendary.

And while we're at it, what about Taste? Always good for a laugh, anyone who went there was always in a ****-it-i-aint-going-to-work-tomorrow mood and just went wild!

Yep the Pure and Taste........fisher and price played at Millionaires before taste. Sativa was a bit industrial for me but some of the mates liked it so I had to go.

#41 vegas-voss

vegas-voss

    Season Ticket Holder

  • Paid Member
  • 16,930 posts
  • 32 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

View PostJohn Matrix, on 29 January 2011 - 11:36 AM, said:

The Paradox Club on a Friday at the Calton Studios, and used to do a bit of DJing at Cubic at the 9c Victoria St too. Was only 17 at the time so technically shouldn't have even been in the club.
Happy days. Brain cells still pickled.
My first night ever in the Calton was when Paradox got raided it was mental bags of sulph and sweeties all lying about the floor everywhere.

#42 Ray Gin

Ray Gin

    Screw you guys

  • Paid Member
  • 7,299 posts
  • 137 topics

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

Wilkie House, La Belle Angele and The Venue RIP. :(
Great clubs sadly missed.

#43 CostaJambo

CostaJambo

    None

  • Paid Member
  • 2,599 posts
  • 29 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

Underage pubs in about 82/83ish included Gatsby's along the East End and the Burnt post in Lothian Road. Palmers was a pub also on Lothian Road on the corner at the Usher Hall(?). There was a wee night club ther called Topos (Grindlay Street?). Also you could sometimes get into the Cottars Howf or The Pub in Rose Street. Annabells disco became Red Hot Pepper Club and then Zenatec. Also Sinatra's in St. James' Centre where I had a joint 18th with 2 mates in 85. The Amphitheatre reopened a wee bit later. There was a kebab shop just down from there in a very odd shaped building near what later became Joe's Garage, anyone remember that? Later when I stopped working and went to Napier full-time wilkie house was a great place to go to. Also saw Thunderball mentioned - was anyone else at the one in Stirling Castle? That was a good night. Must've been 88ish that?

#44 J.T.F.Robertson

J.T.F.Robertson

    Season Ticket Holder

  • Paid Member_10
  • 3,265 posts
  • 44 topics
  • Location6,536 kms west of Gorgie.

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

View PostDrylaw Hearts, on 29 January 2011 - 11:30 AM, said:

The Edge on George Street and Walkers on Shandwick Place.

Both regularly full of nutters.

Waaaay outside the parameters of the thread, but ........ Romano's. (met my ex-wife there)

#45 neonjambo

neonjambo

    Newbie

  • Registered Users D
  • 1,731 posts
  • 137 topics
  • LocationHong Kong

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

View PostThe Gasman, on 29 January 2011 - 06:07 AM, said:

Sinatras - St James Centre
Top O' The Walk - St James Centre
Bobby McGees - Rose St Lane Nth
Buster Browns - Market Street
Clouds - Tollcross
The Nightclub - The Playhouse
Tiffany's - St Stephen's Street
Calton Studios - Calton Road
Cinderellas - St Stephen's St
Fat Sam's - Tollcross
The Fountain - Barnton
The Place - Victoria Street

All places "visited" on occasions from 70's - 80's, and while not really what the OP was after may jog some memories. :blink:

I will cry myself to sleep now, as I realise that I am too old for most of the "Clubs of Yesteryear" mentioned by others... :unsure:



Ah believe Fat sams turned into the redhot pepper club it had a great Kebab shop across from it, however the club was shocking - grab a granny night was a friday night apparently.... Altho every time I went there there was some lovely ladies under 30, the carpet was disgusting tho wipe your feet as you left as they say.

#46 CostaJambo

CostaJambo

    None

  • Paid Member
  • 2,599 posts
  • 83 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

View Postneonjambo, on 29 January 2011 - 02:23 PM, said:

Ah believe Fat sams turned into the redhot pepper club it had a great Kebab shop across from it, however the club was shocking - grab a granny night was a friday night apparently.... Altho every time I went there there was some lovely ladies under 30, the carpet was disgusting tho wipe your feet as you left as they say.

Was Fat Sams definitely a club? I seem to remember it as a restaurant next door to the club???

#47 ManxJamTart

ManxJamTart

    Alex Salmond Fan

  • Paid Member
  • 3,067 posts
  • 1 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

Clubs I used to go to were

Cinderellas
Buster Browns
Rumours (Lothian Road)

What was the place near the Caledonian Hotel, think you went down stairs to get in?
Not a club but used to like Bianco's!

#48 tedarmy

tedarmy

    Junior Member

  • Registered Users D
  • 965 posts
  • 4 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

View PostGershwin, on 29 January 2011 - 11:41 AM, said:

The Venue is still my favourite club in Edinburgh. What is it now? I'm sure they were supposed to turn it into flats but is it not some kind of gallery now...


aye it is now-passed it a wee while back on the way to a gig at studio 24.

wasn`t at any club nights at the venue but i used to go most sundays when bands played. sunday was thrash/death metal night. great times :thumbsup:

clubwise, i always loved the mission :D

#49 Governor Tarkin

Governor Tarkin

    Aye right.

  • Paid Member
  • 1,454 posts
  • 93 topics

Donator

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

View Postvegas-voss, on 29 January 2011 - 02:06 PM, said:

My first night ever in the Calton was when Paradox got raided it was mental bags of sulph and sweeties all lying about the floor everywhere.

Was there that night too. Needless to say I was gutted when I had to launch the stash. The floor was some sight though hey.

#50 Jamhammer

Jamhammer

    Rocks and Rolls

  • Paid Member
  • 3,981 posts
  • LocationWestside

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

The Cats Pyjamas at Abbeyhill. Is now Chatham Honda. Good Time Emporium was above it. I know it's in Indian country but was handy for getting home. Played some quality stuff in the Bunnymen/U2, Simple Minds, Waterboys before they were famous.
Also frequented Roccos on Lothian Road, (Now Karma nights I think), Hoochie, Night Club, Gatsbys, Mr Mustards. Never any bother in any of them either that I recall.