Old Edinburgh Pubs

Stuart Lyon

Stuart Lyon

Purple Onion was in Jamaica Street - now called the Iglu. Over the years it has been:-

Buckingham, The Jacobite, Cockburn?s, Maggie Mason?s, Aubrey?s Raggabar, Northern Bar, Toby, Red Dragon, Little Brown Jug, Upstairs Downstairs, G&T, 2B?s or Two Bees, Purple Onion & Drummonds

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stuart Lyon

Joe?s Garage was at 21 Lothian Road. Has had a few names over the years:

The Capital, Fresh, The Office, Faze, Schloss Bierkeller, Berkley, Ferret & Trouser Leg, Paddy?s & The Vat & Fiddle. Is it the Red Squirrel at the moment?

ArcticJambo

Purple Onion was in Jamaica Street - now called the Iglu. Over the years it has been:-

Buckingham, The Jacobite, Cockburn?s, Maggie Mason?s, Aubrey?s Raggabar, Northern Bar, Toby, Red Dragon, Little Brown Jug, Upstairs Downstairs, G&T, 2B?s or Two Bees, Purple Onion & Drummonds

Any idea why they called it the iglu Stuart?

Stuart Lyon

AJ - No idea at all. Sorry I can't help you there.

Read an interesting article about Baffin Island in the Sunday Times Magazine a couple of weeks ago. Mostly about polar bear hunting but seal hunting also got a mention.

ArcticJambo

Thought it might be your local Stuart, seeing as you reeled off it's titled history, but then you also reeled off a fair few for other emporiums. They have even spelt iglu correctly using a -u instead of a -oo

A fortnight ago, the last two bear tags were used up here, one bear of which was over 10 feet. Down towards floe-edge (on the newer ice) it's been a lot harder to catch seals lately as they're being very careful/quiet with their breathing when they come up - almost impossible to hear, especially if there is little breeze. This happens when they know there are bears around, which is exactly the case. I may go out this afternoon for a bit, and catch up with the pros. Sunny, but still cold at -36C (-47C windchill) as I type.

Stuart Lyon

Not my local. I just have an interest in Edinburgh pubs and their former names. This particular pub used to be frequented by the gay community but I don't know if that's still the case.

The article mentioned the bear tags. The places mentioned in the article are Arviat, Iqaluit and Pangnirtung. It describes the tag allocation as being decided by lottery. Sounds a really hard life. Good luck if you go hunting.

ArcticJambo

Obviously your interest involves sampling too. :)

Jamaica St, (where I believe my dad's parent/family lived prior to moving to Dickson street off Easter Road), and the immediate area have been described as somewhat Bohemian.

Arviat, is in the S Hudson Bay population, and has been the subject of a fair amount of science/traditional knowledge debate/disagreement on numbers over the past few years. Someone posted a pic on FB recently, of a bear harvested 20 miles south of the community coming from Churchill (possibly) that showed the contents of the gut - full of plastic bags, part of a ketchup bottle, and some other very recognizable brand product that escapes me now. Iqaluit, with a big mix of Inuit and non-Inuit (with hunting rights through their spouses) is probably somewhere where the local Hunters & Trappers Association (HTA) is in a dilemma with bylaws, although legally they cannot stop non-Inuit under this arrangement from hunting polar bears. Pang ... never hear anything about Pang when it comes to bears.

The other day on the radio there was an item about how an elder, about to tuck into some boiled bear meat, commented on how dark the meat was ... he had to ask whether it was seal (dark brown, almost tinged black) or bear meat (looks like beef and tastes like it, pretty much). He was concerned about Climate change/pollution and the effects it was having upon bears and their diet. Don't remember from what community.

Yes, most HTAs have lottery draws with anywhere from 24hrs to 5 days to get your bear, as they open up x number of tags at different times of the year. I've been tempted but Mrs AJ would rather eat seal than polar bear. As for today's hunting, I'll most likely only fire off a few shots from my camera.

Stuart Lyon

Certainly does involve samplingAJ.

Thanks for the info on the bears and seals - really amazing how your communities survive in such demanding conditions. Post some of your pics again - the last ones were amazing.

ArcticJambo

Will do ... a dozen or so snowmobiles just left ... Canadian Rangers exercise ... no pubs where they're heading, although they are going in the right direction ... south.

I was meaning to ask ... what was the previous name of the Ormelie, in Joppa ... any ideas?

Stuart Lyon

AJ - no record of the Ormelie having any other name. Certainly in my 60+ years it has always been the Ormelie.

ArcticJambo

Thanks. Good stuff, hope it's still a free house ... one of the last few hold-outs before I emigrated in '96.

The Real Maroonblood

See Robertsons on Gorgie Road re-opened today as Pryde's

Prydes2014.jpg

Mind it was called The Green Tree.

See Robertsons on Gorgie Road re-opened today as Pryde's

Prydes2014.jpg

Have another pastry, Cyril.

Is it true that the Tynie Arms used to be the Midlothian Arms at one point?

Yes it was the Midlothian Arms. It has also been called Campbell's and Hare's.

Learn something new every day! I thought I was getting my chain pulled!

• 3 years later...
The Real Maroonblood

Does anyone remember the name of the pub that was next to Slateford Bowling Club?

Does anyone remember the name of the pub that was next to Slateford Bowling Club?

Next to, as in beside? The Cross Keys and The Dell Inn/ Blue Goose/Tickled Trout were across the road(ish).

Edit. Forget that, before my time. Just seen Mr Lyon's post.

The Real Maroonblood

The Railway Inn, 36 Lanark Road? Now demolished

Many thanks Stuart.

It has been doing my head in trying to remember the name.

It is better.

Thanks again.

I love the historic information you provide.

Agreed.

Stuart is fantastic at this.

Stuart Lyon

Thanks for the kind words guys - EH pubs old and new are of interest to me and I am privileged to have had a considerable amount of information  made available to me by  another contributor to JKB.

Stuart Lyon

Same day it became the Fair Exchange :laugh4:  Can't recall when the FE closed maybe late 80s early 90s. There will be someone out there that has a better idea.

Same day it became the Fair Exchange :laugh4:  Can't recall when the FE closed maybe late 80s early 90s. There will be someone out there that has a better idea.

The Fair Exchange I knew starting in 1954 was opposite the Palais in Fountainbridge, I am not sure when it closed, but probably it was the old name on a new pub, I know there was a new actual telephone exchange opened I am sue it is all related somehow. Its actually a bit stupid of me commenting at all, my Edinburgh has died a thousand deaths since I left.

The Fair Exchange I knew starting in 1954 was opposite the Palais in Fountainbridge, I am not sure when it closed, but probably it was the old name on a new pub, I know there was a new actual telephone exchange opened I am sue it is all related somehow. Its actually a bit stupid of me commenting at all, my Edinburgh has died a thousand deaths since I left.

Bob?

Edinburgh is not even the same as it was five years ago so don't ever stop your contributions.

They are always good, informative posts.

Archived