Police stopping you for having snow on roof of your car

since.1902

sorry if posted already couldnt see in first couple of pages but just got this txt from my mate , dont know if its true or what but thought id post a heads up to everyone braving the snow .

" police will b stopping people from 2moro who are driving with snow on roof of car and will issue fixed penalty of ?60 + 3 points "

There was an AA boy on the news saying that most of us are unaware that it is illeagal to drive with snow on your roof.

The Mighty Thor

Sounds about right. I watched some clown try to drive with barely half the windscreen cleared. Stupid and dangerous and thoroughly deserving of 3 points.

Good to see the Old Bill concentrating on the things that matter and not issuing bullshit fines for................... erm, wait a minute.

There was an AA boy on the news saying that most of us are unaware that it is illeagal to drive with snow on your roof.

i didn't know this

sorry if posted already couldnt see in first couple of pages but just got this txt from my mate , dont know if its true or what but thought id post a heads up to everyone braving the snow .

" police will b stopping people from 2moro who are driving with snow on roof of car and will issue fixed penalty of ?60 + 3 points "

and so they should be. what do you do when you're driving and the snow slides onto your windscreen? common sense to clear it

CavySlaveJambo

Good to see the Old Bill concentrating on the things that matter and not issuing bullshit fines for................... erm, wait a minute.

Snow dislodges over the windscreen and impedes view = accident waiting to happen.

And considering they could have over 6 inches NASTY.

and so they should be. what do you do when you're driving and the snow slides onto your windscreen? common sense to clear it

I would normally use the window wipers :whistling:

And it also flys off the roof as folk are driving onto the cars behind.

To be honest I knew knew there was a law about it, but I always just considered it common sense for these 2 reasons.

I would normally use the window wipers :whistling:

quite clearly not sufficient :down: safety first, stop being a lazy bas and clear your roof

The Mighty Thor

They should be taking the keys off people IMO. How much longer would it take to clear the snow off the whole car? A minute? Two? Lazy feckers deserve a fine and points.

It's like the arseholes that drive about without the windows cleared when it's heavy frost. Morons.

quite clearly not sufficient :down: safety first, stop being a lazy bas and clear your roof

sorry couldnt resist that response

i do clear my roof too. i know how annoying it is when a chunk of snow falls off the car infront

Oh dear Lord.

Points? Points?!

Imagine the final straw, the points that tipped you over the threshold, was for having snow on your roof?

The Mighty Thor

Oh dear Lord.

Points? Points?!

Imagine the final straw, the points that tipped you over the threshold, was for having snow on your roof?

I know and all for the sake of taking an extra minute to clear the roof. Imagine how much of an arse you'd feel. :)

portobellojambo1

Apparently it is actually illegal to drive with snow on your car roof, as if it moves it is either going to impede your vision forwards or backwards, depending on which window it runs down. Cannot remember who told me this, it was just a couple of days ago as well.

sorry couldnt resist that response

i do clear my roof too. i know how annoying it is when a chunk of snow falls off the car infront

now i'm confused :unsure:

you clear the snow off the roof of your car, which surely means you realise that its dangerous not to. yet you still start a thread on here giving the impression that you think the police are out of order? a bit odd

It's not just if it slides forward onto your own windscreen.

It it goes shooting off the back, it can cause the car behind to either skid on it or for it to hit their windscreen, both of which are sure to cause brown trousers and/or a crash.

now i'm confused :unsure:

you clear the snow off the roof of your car, which surely means you realise that its dangerous not to. yet you still start a thread on here giving the impression that you think the police are out of order? a bit odd

Show me where i have gave the impression or said i think the police are out of order? all i dont was start a thread saying they may start stopping drivers and giving fines and points to anyone with snow on their roof????

Show me where i have gave the impression or said i think the police are out of order? all i dont was start a thread saying they may start stopping drivers and giving fines and points to anyone with snow on their roof????

the way you worded it bud. it gave the impression you didn't agree with the police. apologies if i mis-interpreted it.

maybe if you'd wrote "police will b stopping people from 2moro who are stupid enough to be driving with snow on roof of car and will issue fixed penalty of ?60 + 3 points "

instead of "police will b stopping people from 2moro who are driving with snow on roof of car and will issue fixed penalty of ?60 + 3 points "

its a bit like "man kills family pet in park" instead of "man saves toddler from rabid dog"

What about these A holes :woot:

IMG_3089.jpg

they should also stop and fine people who do not clear the snow of their lights... like the first two cars here!

I'm all for this.. very dangerous to have snow on the roof.

Cairneyhill Jambo

It ain't true, its a load of crap.

It ain't illegal to drive with snow on your roof. Its not advisable. The downside of the internet is that folk can say b0ll0cks and its passed on.

This is highly dangerous behaviour when the roads are already trecherous enough.

Well done L&B Police for doing their bit to increase road safety. B)

the way you worded it bud. it gave the impression you didn't agree with the police. apologies if i mis-interpreted it.

maybe if you'd wrote "police will b stopping people from 2moro who are stupid enough to be driving with snow on roof of car and will issue fixed penalty of ?60 + 3 points "

instead of "police will b stopping people from 2moro who are driving with snow on roof of car and will issue fixed penalty of ?60 + 3 points "

its a bit like "man kills family pet in park" instead of "man saves toddler from rabid dog"

I just copied the txt that was sent to me , maybe should've worded it better but as i say true or not i was only passing on what i was told.

It ain't illegal to drive with snow on your roof. Its not advisable. The downside of the internet is that folk can say b0ll0cks and its passed on.

Maybe it isn't specifically illegal, but the cars in the pics above are not safe to be on the road.. lights covers and snow on the roof waiting to slide down and cause an accident!"

Nucky Thompson

I couldn't be ersed clearing it off my roof so I just drove forward a few metres and slammed on my brakes. Job done ;)

http://www.lbp.police.uk/press_release/articles/2010/November/30/1.htm

"Others are not properly clearing their vehicles and then large deposits of snow are falling off, leading to hazardous driving for other road users."

Road Traffic act 1988 Section 3 - If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence.

Cairneyhill Jambo

http://www.lbp.police.uk/press_release/articles/2010/November/30/1.htm

"Others are not properly clearing their vehicles and then large deposits of snow are falling off, leading to hazardous driving for other road users."

Road Traffic act 1988 Section 3 - If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence.

Selective quotes. I saw someone shovelling snow from their driveway earlier on to a main road. Would they be prosecuted. Feel free to phone up your local police force and ask them if its illegal to drive your car with snow on your roof. Let me know what they say please.

I was behind an artic today on the M9 who had a large layer of snow on its box trailer,driving behind it was like being in a blizzard as the snow blew off and then fell off in big lumps, what does the law do about them?

Selective quotes. I saw someone shovelling snow from their driveway earlier on to a main road. Would they be prosecuted. Feel free to phone up your local police force and ask them if its illegal to drive your car with snow on your roof. Let me know what they say please.

Never said they would, just that the potential is there for anyone to be given a fixed penalty, my neighbour got one for not having a mattress securely fastened in the back of his pick up truck, it wasn't visible when he was driving, and was only picked up cos he was stopped for a random check.

Cairneyhill Jambo

I was behind an artic today on the M9 who had a large layer of snow on its box trailer,driving behind it was like being in a blizzard as the snow blew off and then fell off in big lumps, what does the law do about them?

you've got to make allowances for the conditions. Maybe you were driving too close? If he had slammed on his brakes, would you have been able to stop? If you are being affected by snow falling off a lorry sounds like you may have been driving too close.

you've got to make allowances for the conditions. Maybe you were driving too close? If he had slammed on his brakes, would you have been able to stop? If you are being affected by snow falling off a lorry sounds like you may have been driving too close.

I was a fair bit back and bear in mind it was single ruts, it was not causing me a problem,just wondering what the law is on our good trucking buddies. :ninja:

i wouldnt worry about it to much at this rate no one will be going anywhere at all tomorrow its absoloutly hooring down out there .

portobellojambo1

i wouldnt worry about it to much at this rate no one will be going anywhere at all tomorrow its absoloutly hooring down out there .

I live in Gorgie and I was outside having a smoke around 10:30. Snow was off at that point and the surrounding streets were still clear. Just went out again and it looks as if about 1.5 inches must have fallen in the last hour, the streets are all pure white again. And the sky overhead is now relatively clear, and as a result the temperature has suddenly plummeted as well.

With a bit of luck when I phone my office tomorrow morning the message will be not to bother trying to get in, I think the buses could be really struggling tomorrow in Edinburgh if it keeps snowing then freezing over intermittently during the night (feck knows what Edinburgh Park will look like tomorrow, it was chaotic first thing this morning)

The Old Tolbooth

What if you're a Proclaimers burd and can't reach? :unsure:

southside1874

Maybe it isn't specifically illegal, but the cars in the pics above are not safe to be on the road.. lights covers and snow on the roof waiting to slide down and cause an accident!"

Exactly its just as illegal as popping down to B&Q and buying a sheet of timber, placing it on the roof of your car and driving off. Just a tad dangerous.

Nobody's going to get fined or have any points on their license. The police have issued an advisory statement, it's common sense, something apparently lacking in most of the population. I've had umpteen text messages about this, it's all over Facebook, it's just not going to happen.

The police put out a press release and suddenly it's martial law!

They're not going to be stopping and fining people and giving out tickets, advice and warnings maybe.

Just take the snow off your roof if you're braving the roads tomorrow. I just had a look out the window, don't think I'll bother...

Archived