Gracemount...crime capital of Scotland !

Drew Busby !

Folk like me!! 

The topic is about Gracemount in Edinburgh, a city I have spent 18 of my 50 years in and, a city i frequently visit (still have family there) so yes............. I can give an informed opinion, my opinion, which won't change.  And, the reference to Middlesbrough was refering to an earlier post (similar to your statement "what **** does that make Glasgow") when I was asked to make a comparison to that city..................well, I'm NOT making a comparison, the post is about Gracemount in Edinburgh..............EDINBURGH  get it?

The thing is you just didn't refer to gracemount as a shitehole. You called Edinburgh as a whole a shitehole. Hence the then comparisons to other cities and towns in the UK.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
zoltan socrates

Royston is still a ghetto, although its stock full of eastern Europeans these days. Pilton and Muirhouse were cleansed of the real bad apples about 20-30 years ago. Still not high on my list of desirable areas but no where near as bad as they used to be, and certainly not in the class of The Inch or Gracemount.

I wouldnt go near the shopping centre halfway down pennywell road, did the buses not announce theyd stop servicing that area last year after all the trouble? Helicopters extremely common in that part, little bastrds come into silverknowes to hide too

Muirhoo is still grim, so too wester drylaw and im including telford too as some numb nut has been flying a hibs flag there for donkeys

Seymour M Hersh

Folk like me!! 

The topic is about Gracemount in Edinburgh, a city I have spent 18 of my 50 years in and, a city i frequently visit (still have family there) so yes............. I can give an informed opinion, my opinion, which won't change.  And, the reference to Middlesbrough was refering to an earlier post (similar to your statement "what **** does that make Glasgow") when I was asked to make a comparison to that city..................well, I'm NOT making a comparison, the post is about Gracemount in Edinburgh..............EDINBURGH  get it?

Far better than folk like you it appears.

Folk like me!! 

Your last ..erm... sentence:

Yes, the thread is about Gracemount.

No, the thread is not about Edinburgh in general.

Yes, we sort of 'get it'.

Edinburgh is very very good. Parts of it are very very dodgy.

All big cities and all that...

Far better than folk like you it appears.

Totally agree Seymour

:thumb:

Edinburgh = Gracemount :cornette:

The White Cockade

Lived in the area for a good 10 years now. Place has improved since the high flats were knocked down. Hardly see any physco's or nutters these days

I lived in Fala Court from 1961 to 1986

When the flats were first built people from all over Edinburgh wanted to move in as they were clean and modern and had great views

and most Council housing at that time was pretty dire and being demolished

Great place at first and everybody knew each other

By the end they were populated by junkies and degenerates

Was a real shame for the few older people left there who couldn't get a move

I know this is from 2008, but I went to School with De Marco. I stayed on his good side thankfully but even at 15-16 he was always a loose cannon.

I was very good mates with James when at Gracemount Primary until '97

A Boy Named Crow

Folk slagging Edinburgh???!!!!

I've lived in a few places, Sydney included, but always pined for home.

Currently in Inverness and apart from the Ness Islands the town could do with an atomic makeover.

I'd be keen to hear your rationale for the above. I've been living in Sydney for a year now. There's a big similarity with Edinburgh, in that both are international cities, rammed with tourists etc. The difference for me is that the tourism here makes Sydney more a more vibrant place to be. In Edinburgh it just seems to drive sterility and rob the city of personality, if that makes sense. Compare it to places like Barcelona and Madrid too, Edinburgh just seems cold and unfriendly.

It's true that all cities are a mixture of shithole and decent, not sure I'd choose Edinburgh over this, just curious to hear what led you that way. Sitting the now enjoying a beer in the sun before hitting up the Sydney derby later...sunshine, beer, football...what went wrong when you were here???

The White Cockade

Gracemount may well be a shithole but Edinburgh as a whole is not

It is regularly voted one of the best cities in the world to live in and to visit

Princes Street, the Castle, Arthurs Seat, Braid Hills, Holyrood, New Town, Old Town etc etc

No other city can match that

In terms of scenery only Cape Town's Table Mountain can match the view of the Castle

I'll probably not seek opinions from squaddies who can't earn enough to live in on of the many affluent parts of Edinburgh.

Still...Inverness is, er, affordable.

Governor Tarkin

Nothing wrong with bettering yourself, it's the ones who do that then forget where they come from that need to reel, their necks in.

Why?

What if you come from a complete shithole and are embarrassed to be associated in any way with the arseholes which populate it?

Remnants of Standards

I'd be keen to hear your rationale for the above. I've been living in Sydney for a year now. There's a big similarity with Edinburgh, in that both are international cities, rammed with tourists etc. The difference for me is that the tourism here makes Sydney more a more vibrant place to be. In Edinburgh it just seems to drive sterility and rob the city of personality, if that makes sense. Compare it to places like Barcelona and Madrid too, Edinburgh just seems cold and unfriendly.

It's true that all cities are a mixture of shithole and decent, not sure I'd choose Edinburgh over this, just curious to hear what led you that way. Sitting the now enjoying a beer in the sun before hitting up the Sydney derby later...sunshine, beer, football...what went wrong when you were here???

Nothing went 'wrong' - being in Oz and NZ is fine for a fracture but I didn't want it to be terminal. Sydney in particular if you were young, ripped, and have model-looks like myself (ahem) then there's no better place to be.

The pull of home was just too much for me at the time, but I'm sure your loving it!

Folk like me!! 

rasper

cold and unfriendly? Are you a weegie?

Big Shot alert, the fact is no one really cares what you are up to

Certainly not following Hearts

You do that in about 5 months time you'll likely be freezing your tits off yeah?

You're my hero.

Why?

What if you come from a complete shithole and are embarrassed to be associated in any way with the arseholes which populate it?

What exactly is a shithole ?

Burdiehouse was a great place to grow up in when I was a kid, why ? Because I didn't know any better, my neighbours and their neighbours were all working class "schemies", no pretentiousness just normal punters.

In my juvenile mind I was oblivious to the drugs and crime that may well have been on the go, it's not until you mature and get even more Street wise when your eyes begin to widen then reality sets in.

Burdiehouse changed in the early 90's, an influx of other people moved in who were less respectful of their surroundings and own property (council)

" That's when Burdie' changed " is the common phrase, it's went right downhill.

I think I've bettered myself from my last days there but I'm still a Burdie' Boy, not embarrassed, maybe not proud but still not selective from where I was born and bred.

highlandjambo3

I'll probably not seek opinions from squaddies who can't earn enough to live in on of the many affluent parts of Edinburgh.

Still...Inverness is, er, affordable.

Sorry mate........... not getting you on this one, I paid 250k for my house and, currently earn 80 - 95k per year (self employed).  That would certainly allow me to live in most parts of Edinburgh/UK but I choose not to however, I do choose to live in Inverness..................top end of the city of course

Sorry mate........... not getting you on this one, I paid 250k for my house and, currently earn 80 - 95k per year (self employed).  That would certainly allow me to live in most parts of Edinburgh/UK but I choose not to however, I do choose to live in Inverness..................top end of the city of course

FFS !  I wouldn't even give Nookie Bear the time of day highlandjambo3 for that ridiculous comment he made.

Archived