Gracemount...crime capital of Scotland !

Drew Busby !

Colonel Kurtz
*how do you mean?

p.s also from inch!!!

cumnor crescent is known for columbias most famous export

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say What Again
cumnor crescent is known for columbias most famous export

Does Carlos Valderamma stay there? ;)

RockyBalboa
Does Carlos Valderamma stay there? ;)

That would be some story. Sure Faustino Asprilla has visited at one stage though :)

True. His Maw also deserted him when he was about 11 or something and he stayed with "mates" all the time as his dad was in an out of jail all the time (think he's still in for drugs now) lad never had a chance, jails still best place for him though, I'd bet he'll be in an oot all his puff! :mad:

sorry rocky,

but your wrong there mate!!!

i dont want to give all the info on a public forum though.

...well, it seems like it today anyway :confused:

Today: 6 years for the nutter from Captains Road

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Man-gets-six-years-for.3885589.jp

Today: 17 years for the psycho from Captains Drive

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Knife-thug-jailed-for-17.3885732.jp

Last year: the Captains Cabin murder (ok , the rebranded "Marmion")

http://news.scotsman.com/marmionpubshooting/Man-jailed-for-pub-killing.3326255.jp

Christ, my wife grew up in *precisely* that area, or "hood" as it should perhaps be referred to now. Suddenly it doesn't seem like a good idea to get into any arguments with her about who burned the toast ! :eek:

I stayed there for over 24 years , and it is like many other places in Edinburgh, lots of good folk stay there along with a minority of nutcases, no better or worse than many other places as I said.

RockyBalboa
sorry rocky,

but your wrong there mate!!!

i dont want to give all the info on a public forum though.

Fair play, makes sense he's out if others are ;) that all i'm saying.

The sooner these are knocked down and people given better housing, then the area should improve.

multistorey_south.jpg

The sooner these are knocked down and people given better housing, then the area should improve.

multistorey_south.jpg

Really????? You'll be doing well to find those buildings in Gracemount.

multistorey_south.jpg

Is that not the Moredun flats???

rossthejambo

multistorey_south.jpg

they're not gracemount flats. a lot of the gracemount ones were knocked down and are now houses. theres still a couple left i think but they're on there way out IIRC

Flats pictured are indeed Moredun ones, pictured from Moredun Park Road.

These are the flats in Gracemout. FALA, SOUTRA and GARVALD.

3 architectural gems, so they are..........

lglg.jpg

ahh, the memories of those flats.

I mind back in Primary 6 or 7, me and a few mates from Gracemount Primary (of which our psycho nutter friend wa one) used to jump in the lifts, wait til they start moving and then give the door a good hard kick. Used to be able to stop the lift in mid-travel.

Looking back it was pointless, but worryingly still slightly amusing.

My Dad was brought up in Hyvots and my Grandma stayed there until her death in 1992. I was brought up around the corner from James Demarco in Pilton. It's a wonder I'm the well-adjusted chap I am really!

Chip Douglas

I've lived in East Kilngate for 18 months now and not had any bother. There are little enclaves of radges, like anywhere else but if you mind your own, then generally nobody will bother you. Hyvots has been flattened and is currently getting a make over.

My family are from the area, primarily Gilmerton, Inch, Burdiehouse and all were schooled at Gracemount.

Half of them escaped to Boston right enough..

dodethejambo

The picture is taken from the roundabout that was outside old Moredun primary, about where the two trees once stood.

and they have spent a fortune doing them up (new window,heating,security) so little chance of them getting knocked down.

• 8 years later...

haha born and brought up in Gracemount

but if anyone down South asks me where i'm from and I say Edinburgh they always say "oh the posh part of Scotland"!!!!

Born and bred in Burdiehouse and will always be Burdiehouse although I often refer to our estate as "Upper Liberton" when I'm in company of pretentious people who CLEARLY forgot where their roots are, you can tell them a mile off, pricks !

Left the area back in 1989 then moved up to Howden Hall, enjoyed a few refreshments in The Waverley and The Cabin for the following 8 years but moved on to pastures new at the start of the Millennium.  

A new generation has emerged and its pretty scary to read and here that sons and daughters of our friends think nothing of "slicing" a blade through someone's flesh or to pull a gun to intimidate and threaten.

Keep your nose clean and stay away from the scumbags.

Heartsmad1874

Lived in the area for a good 10 years now. Place has improved since the high flats were knocked down. Hardly see any physco's or nutters these days

Royston , Pilton , Muirhouse anybody ? Now those are rough.

Royston is still a ghetto, although its stock full of eastern Europeans these days. Pilton and Muirhouse were cleansed of the real bad apples about 20-30 years ago. Still not high on my list of desirable areas but no where near as bad as they used to be, and certainly not in the class of The Inch or Gracemount.

I lived in East Kilngate for a few years loved my house, but not the area in which I wanted my kids to grow up and go to school.

Also went to Libby High, we had our fair share on nutters:eek:

Used to live in East Kilngate Rigg while I was at uni and for a few years after. Didn't know the area well so often went into the Marmion to have some grub with my mate - did feel it was a bit hostile as a few times we were in there, we'd notice lads staring over at our table aggressively for no reason. Walked back on my own in the middle of the night drunk a few times, pretty stupid thing to do thinking back, but then I did go up Lasswade Road and cut in the back rather than going up Hyvot Bank so probably avoided the worst bits. 

The ground issues to do with old mines up near the Barratt flats was a bit scary, was glad my flat was still worth something after all that!

Born and bred in Burdiehouse and will always be Burdiehouse although I often refer to our estate as "Upper Liberton" when I'm in company of pretentious people who CLEARLY forgot where their roots are, you can tell them a mile off, pricks !

Left the area back in 1989 then moved up to Howden Hall, enjoyed a few refreshments in The Waverley and The Cabin for the following 8 years but moved on to pastures new at the start of the Millennium.  

A new generation has emerged and its pretty scary to read and here that sons and daughters of our friends think nothing of "slicing" a blade through someone's flesh or to pull a gun to intimidate and threaten.

Keep your nose clean and stay away from the scumbags.

:wow:

Knives and guns :vrface:

highlandjambo3

Born In Niddrie till 4, moved to Gilmerton.........Hyvots bank school and Gracemount secondry, joined the Army at 16 (1980) left in 2005 and live in Inverness............. Edinburgh is a shi**er........ would NEVER move back, the only we have in common is my beloved team 

fabienleclerq

Born In Niddrie till 4, moved to Gilmerton.........Hyvots bank school and Gracemount secondry, joined the Army at 16 (1980) left in 2005 and live in Inverness............. Edinburgh is a shi**er........ would NEVER move back, the only we have in common is my beloved team

Edinburgh is a nice place to live, there's shite areas and arseholes everywhere.

Royston is still a ghetto, although its stock full of eastern Europeans these days. Pilton and Muirhouse were cleansed of the real bad apples about 20-30 years ago. Still not high on my list of desirable areas but no where near as bad as they used to be, and certainly not in the class of The Inch or Gracemount.

Got to disagree with you Colly. I travel all round Edinburgh with my job and Muirhouse and the pennywell road area is without doubt the roughest place you will see in Edinburgh. Idiots everywhere though as has been said elsewhere.

Arnold Rothstein

To be fair you didn't really see the best of Edinburgh did you? 

highlandjambo3

To be fair you didn't really see the best of Edinburgh did you? 

was based their with the Army for 2 years.................. like i said, shit hole

was based their with the Army for 2 years.................. like i said, shit hole

It's a very nice city with some dodgy areas and some very nice areas. It's impossible to have a city this size with no problem districts.

Arnold Rothstein

Takes all sorts i suppose but give me Edinburgh over Inverness any day of the week.

People stereotyping Edinburgh based on a few rough areas :vrface:

Ffs, I grew up in the Calders and stone throws from Wester Hailes, Westburn etc....don't live there now, just down the road a bit, but I have nothing but fond memories of my upbringing in the area.

Nutters, good folk(which were the majority)weird folk etc....lived all amongst each other but as people say, stick to your own , stay away from the bams and you were fine.

Sometimes there were times you couldn't help find yourself involved in something, especially as a kid playing in the streets, but the previous rule applies above.

Edinburghs not a shithole mate. Get a grip of yer knickers.

Remnants of Standards

Folk slagging Edinburgh???!!!!

I've lived in a few places, Sydney included, but always pined for home.

Currently in Inverness and apart from the Ness Islands the town could do with an atomic makeover.

These are the flats in Gracemout. FALA, SOUTRA and GARVALD.

3 architectural gems, so they are..........

lglg.jpg

haha, great pic, I lived in Garvald court, great memories 

Nae wonder us matelot called you army chappies pongoes. Nae brains. If Edinburgh is a shite hole you never went for a night out in Middlesbrough when at Catterick?

Visit Middlesbrough then tell me Edinburgh is a shite hole. I say that as one who still lives in West Pilton now.

Lived in Gracemount for 20 years 60s an 70s. Went to Burdiehouse Primary, Gracemount Secondary. Some great guys from there and some real nutters as well. A lot of dead school mates and friends  these days. The Cabin was a real Dodge city pub as was the Waverley. Witnessed a few nasty fights over the years in both Boozers thankfully I was friends with the main nutters and escape any real bother. 

Watched the flats being built and now witnessed them being demolished. My house is also gone along with both school buildings I went to. Must confess I'm glad I've moved away and into a better area.

Lived in Gracemount for 20 years 60s an 70s. Went to Burdiehouse Primary, Gracemount Secondary. Some great guys from there and some real nutters as well. A lot of dead school mates and friends  these days. The Cabin was a real Dodge city pub as was the Waverley. Witnessed a few nasty fights over the years in both Boozers thankfully I was friends with the main nutters and escape any real bother. 

Watched the flats being built and now witnessed them being demolished. My house is also gone along with both school buildings I went to. Must confess I'm glad I've moved away and into a better area.

You are in West Pilton now too?

You are in West Pilton now too?

Even the police wouldn't catch me speeding through there [emoji23]

Through my work I was down there quite a lot and as is the case in Gracemount there are both good and bad. The bad are the ones you hear about, the good just get on with their lives. My wife however has dealings with those that draw attention to themselves particularly as they move around (or get moved around) across the city schemes.

Matthew Le Tissier

...well, it seems like it today anyway :confused:

Today: 6 years for the nutter from Captains Road

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Man-gets-six-years-for.3885589.jp

Today: 17 years for the psycho from Captains Drive

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Knife-thug-jailed-for-17.3885732.jp

Last year: the Captains Cabin murder (ok , the rebranded "Marmion")

http://news.scotsman.com/marmionpubshooting/Man-jailed-for-pub-killing.3326255.jp

Christ, my wife grew up in *precisely* that area, or "hood" as it should perhaps be referred to now. Suddenly it doesn't seem like a good idea to get into any arguments with her about who burned the toast ! :eek:

I know this is from 2008, but I went to School with De Marco. I stayed on his good side thankfully but even at 15-16 he was always a loose cannon.

I lived in Royston Mains as a wee lad, then moved to a prefab in Gilmerton.

Nothing but happy memories of both places.

PS.  Mrs. Budge hails from Royston Mains too.

Seymour M Hersh

Edinburghs not a shithole mate. Get a grip of yer knickers.

Exactly. If Edinburgh is a "shithole" then what the **** does that make Glasgow?

Nothing wrong with bettering yourself, it's the ones who do that then forget where they come from that need to reel, their necks in.

highlandjambo3

Exactly. If Edinburgh is a "shithole" then what the **** does that make Glasgow?

Sorry..................The topic is about Gracemount in Edinburgh not Middlesborough/Glasgow..............and I stand by my statement

Seymour M Hersh

Sorry..................The topic is about Gracemount in Edinburgh not Middlesborough/Glasgow..............and I stand by my statement

Sorry...................but you said Edinburgh is a shitter. I'll defend my city from folk like you. And what the **** has Middlesborough got to do with anything

highlandjambo3

Sorry...................but you said Edinburgh is a shitter. I'll defend my city from folk like you. And what the **** has Middlesborough got to do with anything

Folk like me!! 

The topic is about Gracemount in Edinburgh, a city I have spent 18 of my 50 years in and, a city i frequently visit (still have family there) so yes............. I can give an informed opinion, my opinion, which won't change.  And, the reference to Middlesbrough was refering to an earlier post (similar to your statement "what **** does that make Glasgow") when I was asked to make a comparison to that city..................well, I'm NOT making a comparison, the post is about Gracemount in Edinburgh..............EDINBURGH  get it?

Archived