The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Shanks said no

Just read Ken Follett - a Column of Fire, New release and 3rd in the Kingsbridge series after the Pillars of the Earth and World without End. Set and including Elizabeth I, Mary Tudor and Mary Queen of Scots it's a far more European tale than the earlier books. 

I enjoyed it.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Riddley Walker
On 11/10/2017 at 11:29, Haken said:

Finished The Fireman.  Tbh, if this had been the first Joe Hill effort I'd read, I wouldn't be rushing to get any more.  Long, slow and largely uneventful.

About to start The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.  Have read both her previous novels. She's a bit of a literary critics' darling, but she often leaves me wondering what I'm missing.  No doubt says more about me than it does her.

Be interested to hear what you thought of the Goldfinch - I personally thought it's one of the best books I've read in a while.

Read Less Than Zero by Brett Easton-Ellis last week. Thought it was great, like all of his books you start reading it with rolled eyes til you see his characters' pretentiousness are a main point of his stories.

Started reading Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley, not read any of his books before.

Still making my way through the Little Drummer Girl, I might promote it to my "train pile".

On 17/10/2017 at 07:14, Riddley Walker said:

Be interested to hear what you thought of the Goldfinch - I personally thought it's one of the best books I've read in a while.

Read Less Than Zero by Brett Easton-Ellis last week. Thought it was great, like all of his books you start reading it with rolled eyes til you see his characters' pretentiousness are a main point of his stories.

Started reading Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley, not read any of his books before.

Still making my way through the Little Drummer Girl, I might promote it to my "train pile".

I'll let you know.  Been away for a few days so haven't had much of a chance to read much.  I'm about a quarter of the way through it and so far, so very good.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 07:14, Riddley Walker said:

Finished The Goldfinch last night.  Absolutely tremendous.  I've read Tartt's previous two novels and wasn't exactly blown away by them.  But this just held my attention from start to finish.  I felt there was quite a lot of 'Dickens' in it, with shades of David Copperfield, Oliver Twist and Great Expectations.  Probably a wee bit Dostoevsky-type psychology towards the end, too.  For me, it's a huge achievement for an author to write such a big book, which is beautifully written, which is making who knows how many serious points, but to not lose sight of the actually story element to it - in other words you could read it on a purely entertainment level (which is always the most important level for me when reading fiction) and enjoy a good long story.  Another one of its triumphs for me was that I never lost interest despite not particularly liking any of the characters - towards the end I did find myself sort of rooting for Theo as it became unclear whether he was going to opt for redemption or oblivion.

Whew.  I always try to mix my reading up, so after the long literary efforts above, am now onto a crime thriller called Ragdoll.  There's a bit on the front cover that says: ONE BODY.  SIX VICTIMS.  NO SUSPECTS.  Should be a laugh.

Just started the peoples songs (the story of modern britain in 50 records) by Stuart Macone so far so good. Some eclectic choices of songs , well written and argued but I quite like the guy and listen to his 6 music show most afternoons. Slightly annoying inability to differenciate between England and Britain apart recommend it.

Riddley Walker
9 hours ago, Haken said:

Finished The Goldfinch last night.  Absolutely tremendous.  I've read Tartt's previous two novels and wasn't exactly blown away by them.  But this just held my attention from start to finish.  I felt there was quite a lot of 'Dickens' in it, with shades of David Copperfield, Oliver Twist and Great Expectations.  Probably a wee bit Dostoevsky-type psychology towards the end, too.  For me, it's a huge achievement for an author to write such a big book, which is beautifully written, which is making who knows how many serious points, but to not lose sight of the actually story element to it - in other words you could read it on a purely entertainment level (which is always the most important level for me when reading fiction) and enjoy a good long story.  Another one of its triumphs for me was that I never lost interest despite not particularly liking any of the characters - towards the end I did find myself sort of rooting for Theo as it became unclear whether he was going to opt for redemption or oblivion.

Whew.  I always try to mix my reading up, so after the long literary efforts above, am now onto a crime thriller called Ragdoll.  There's a bit on the front cover that says: ONE BODY.  SIX VICTIMS.  NO SUSPECTS.  Should be a laugh.

Glad you enjoyed it. I totally agree with you on the "enjoyment" factor, it's an extremely readable book without ever losing its literary qualities. I loved the section when he was hanging in the desert city with the Russian guy fairly near the start, just great storytelling.  

I loved her first book but wasn't keen on her 2nd so I'm glad the way this turned out.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Ragdoll.  Readable but, ultimately, a bit meh.

Now onto Runemarks by Joanne Harris.  Fantasy of sorts set in the world of Norse mythology.  Promising so far.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 13:34, Haken said:

Finished Ragdoll.  Readable but, ultimately, a bit meh.

Now onto Runemarks by Joanne Harris.  Fantasy of sorts set in the world of Norse mythology.  Promising so far.

Finished Runemarks, and it was pretty decent.  Cracked along at a fair old pace and I'll look out for more of Ms Harris's work.

Now onto Perfect Prey, the second of Helen Fields' crime thrillers set in Edinburgh.  It's a decent page turner, but I'm annoying myself by picking fault with her research - e.g. Edinburgh cops talking about a burglary rather than a house-breaking. 

Just finished Shaun Hutsons invasion, really enjoyed it. Now starting the heart shaped box by Joe hill. Someone on here recommended it after I read the fireman.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Perfect Prey.  Really enjoyed it.  Having worked in criminal justice, though, I do tend to pick faults when writers get things wrong - more so when the writer's English and just assume that the system in Scotland is no different from down south.  I should really just let it go.

Change of pace and genre, now onto The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu.  It's a fantasy in a far east-type setting.  Think Game of Thrones meets Shogun.  100 pages in and so far, it's alright.  Really hope it turns out good, because I took advantage and also bought the second volume while they were both in Blackwells 3 for 2 selection...

After having the book lying on the shelf for years, I've finally picked up Monuments Men by Robert Edsel. I havent seen the film so didnt know what to expect but it's a fascinating read so far.

• 4 weeks later...

The Grace of Kings turned out to be a pile of shite which I couldn't bring myself to finish.  That'll teach me for buying two volumes in the same series when I have no idea if the series is going to be any good.

Now onto Heart-Shaped Box by Stephen King Jnr, Joe Hill.  It's ok, but can't help but think that it's Joe Hill's version of Thinner.

Riddley Walker

Finished La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman last week. Really kicked into gear in the 2nd half of the book - carried on the series in fantastic style.

Started reading 4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster. Not far through it but hasn't grabbed me yet.

19 hours ago, Riddley Walker said:

Finished La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman last week. Really kicked into gear in the 2nd half of the book - carried on the series in fantastic style.

Started reading 4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster. Not far through it but hasn't grabbed me yet.

I've picked that up, thought about buying it, put it back down a few times now.  Will be interested to hear how it pans out.

Finshed Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box.  It was ok.  Still think NOS4R2 is his best so far.

Now onto Rattle, which is a serial killer thriller type offering.

Just started reading Sleeping Beauties, the collaboration by Stephen and Owen King. I have been lead to believe its every bit as good as (my personal favourite) The Stand.

5 hours ago, Haken said:

Finshed Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box.  It was ok.  Still think NOS4R2 is his best so far.

Now onto Rattle, which is a serial killer thriller type offering.

I didn't enjoy heart shaped box, I gave in about half way through. A pity as after reading the fireman I was really looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, superjack said:

I didn't enjoy heart shaped box, I gave in about half way through. A pity as after reading the fireman I was really looking forward to it.

It was basically a short story padded out to make a novel.

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

Just started reading Sleeping Beauties, the collaboration by Stephen and Owen King. I have been lead to believe its every bit as good as (my personal favourite) The Stand.

Quite fancy that one, too.  Be interesting to hear what you think about it.

Finished Rattle which was actually rather decent.  I see it's to be followed with a second book, and I'll definintly get it when it comes out.

Now onto Un Lun Dun by China Meiville.  This is my first CM book but he appears to have won lots of awards in the sci-fi genre. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Un Lun Dun.  YAF and makes more than a nod towards Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere'.  Anyway, I loved it and will definitely be catching up on CM's other stuff, all of which I gather is pretty weird stuff.

Now onto Divergent by Veronica Roth.  More YAF, this time in 'Hunger Games' type territory.

2 hours ago, Haken said:

Finished Un Lun Dun.  YAF and makes more than a nod towards Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere'.  Anyway, I loved it and will definitely be catching up on CM's other stuff, all of which I gather is pretty weird stuff.

Now onto Divergent by Veronica Roth.  More YAF, this time in 'Hunger Games' type territory.

I really enjoyed the divergent series, read them all last year.

6 hours ago, superjack said:

I really enjoyed the divergent series, read them all last year.

I read them too. Enjoyed them. They’re easy reading so great for on the train into work.

I’m on the 3rd book in the chaos walking trilogy which is another young adult series. 

14 hours ago, Helzibob said:

I read them too. Enjoyed them. They’re easy reading so great for on the train into work.

I’m on the 3rd book in the chaos walking trilogy which is another young adult series. 

Agreed re the first point.  Really enjoying it.

I thought the Chaos Walking books were excellent.

Francis Albert

Two books that most would see as from opposite ends of the political spectrum but don't really fit  left vs right pigeon holing.

Inglorious Empire - What the British Did To India by Shashi Tharroor - for those who still swallow the nostalgia for the Raj's supposedly benign and civilising role in that country and its portrayal in so many films, TV series and books..

The Strange Death of Europe - Immigration, Identity , Islam by Douglas Murray - for those who believe mass immigration and in particular mass Muslim immigration will not (if it hasn't already) fundamentally alter the nature of Europe

Edited by Francis Albert

Just started The Son by Philipp Meyer. Noticed that it was a TV series so got the book and have downloaded the series to watch when I'm finished.

Just finished the red sister by Mark Lawrence. Really good read. I almost gave up early on as it's a slow burner, glad I persevered. The sequel is coming out in May.

Finished Divergent and straight onto Allegiant.  Easy enough read but, so far, not as entertaining as either The Hunger Games or Chaos Walking.

42 minutes ago, Haken said:

Finished Divergent and straight onto Allegiant.  Easy enough read but, so far, not as entertaining as either The Hunger Games or Chaos Walking.

Sat down at lunch to start Allegiant only to quickly realise that it's book 3 and not book 2.  What a fud! 

Will, er, start Insurgent tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Insurgent and now onto the final instalment, Allegiant.  I'm finding this series to be just ok, though incredibly easy to read (not surprising given its target audience).,

I'm spending too much on books and usually wasting my money on tat that I never finish so I went to Oxfam and managed to get The Watchmaker of Filigree Street and Hokkaido Highway Blues .

The first isn't my usual type of stuff at all but it's a brilliant read with a fantasy/gothic/steampunk setting. The other is a travelog by an English teacher who decides to travel through Japan following the path of the cherry blossom as it unfolds in Japan. Very funny reading and insightful stuff on Japanese culture. 

The Heavenly Table

'Just finished this. Remarkable book. If you like your Americana, (Connor McCarthy etc) you'll love it.

Also my Mrs bought me this for Xmas and as a cycling fan I really enjoyed it

9781909715530_L.jpg

Finished AllegiantAll in all, I found the Divergent series a bit meh.  When the author decided to introduce dual narrative view points in the final book, it was obvious what she was up to.

Just started Dark Matter by Blake Crouch, who is the guy who wrote Wayward Pines.

Finished Dark Matter and thought it was pretty damn good.  A real page-turner of a thriller that mixes a bit of parallel universe physics.  Would make a very good film.

Just started Perfect Death by Helen Fielding, the third in the series of DI Callanach books which are set in Embra.

On 22/02/2018 at 08:47, Haken said:

Just started Dark Matter by Blake Crouch, who is the guy who wrote Wayward Pines.

Thought this was a great book.  Moved along at a great pace with a very entertaining subject. Also think it would make a good movie. Thought I'd read somewhere that the movie rights had been sold to a studio.

Currently I'm halfway through The Son by Phillip Meyer. Not bad at all.

Edited by dougal

Just started the painted man by Peter Brett. Not often I get hooked on a boom within the first few pages. As soon as ive finished I'll be downloading the rest of the demon cycle series.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Perfect Death, another decent effort though I still get annoyed by the use of English criminal justice terms being used in a book set in Scotland.

Now onto The Ritual by Adam Neville, a horror about some guys who get lost in a forest in Sweden. 

Finished The Ritual.  I thought it was pretty good though having read some reviews on line I see it's come in for some criticism for being sexist and even fattist.  I should really hone my close reading techniques, but worry that this might just stop me enjoying a decent horror story.

Now onto I Am Travelling Alone by Samuel Bjork.  Scandi-crime, this one set in Norway.

Meant to post last week, finished the painted man by Peter Brett. Probably the best book over read for a couple of years, already downloaded the next 2 books in the demon cycle series. Not sure what to read next though. Any tips for something please, fantasy, horror or dystopian types preferably.

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 18:02, superjack said:

Meant to post last week, finished the painted man by Peter Brett. Probably the best book over read for a couple of years, already downloaded the next 2 books in the demon cycle series. Not sure what to read next though. Any tips for something please, fantasy, horror or dystopian types preferably.

I like Stephen Eriksson's 'Malazan Books of the Fallen'.  The first three in particular are immense.  After those, it kind of loses its way a wee bit.  There's 10 in the series.  I've read them all (some more than once), but the first three are stand outs.  He pitches you into the story and it's up to you to get your head round it.  There's a brilliant bit right at the start of the first book where a seasoned old military campaigner is speaking to a young boy while the city below them burns.  The lad says something about an abattoir having caught fire, because he could smell meat cooking.  The old guy jut looks at him and says something like, 'Aye, lad, that's what it'll be.'

Bought this last week for something to read on the plane to Rome.  I'm posting a link of some of the reviews as I'm struggling to sum it up other than to say it is an incredible read. The scale and breadth of the book is mind boggling.  Forget Rome & Greece being the cradle of civilisation , it was the east that led the way and was the economic superpower even 2,000 years ago. 

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/the-silk-roads-9781408839973/

Edited by NANOJAMBO

9 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Bought this last week for something to read on the plane to Rome.  I'm posting a link of some of the reviews as I'm struggling to sum it up other than to say it is an incredible read. The scale and breadth of the book is mind boggling.  Forget Rome & Greece being the cradle of civilisation , it was the east that led the way and was the economic superpower even 2,000 years ago. 

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/the-silk-roads-9781408839973/

Episode 1 of the Silk Road on IPLAYER. 

Take it it's off the above book.

23 minutes ago, benny said:

Episode 1 of the Silk Road on IPLAYER. 

Take it it's off the above book.

It doesn't seem to make any reference to the book but the subject matter of the prog is in the book IIRC. 

Cheers, have bookmarked for later.