The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

The Girl on the Train

8/10

Emily Blunt is superb, and still manages to be kind of attractive while looking a bit rough playing an alcoholic.

Rudolf's Mate

The Girl on the Train - 9/10 Blunt it brilliant.

War Dogs - 8/10 Really enjoyable and some really funny moments.

Hell or High Water - 8.5/10 Bit different but put together really well. The 3 main actors are really good. 

Hunt For The Wilderpeople - really enjoyed this, very funny. For those who also enjoyed it, the director (who had a cameo as the priest) also made the very funny What We Do In The Shadows which is on Netflix. 8/10

Carl Fredrickson

Another vote for Hunt For The Wilderpeople. Probably the best movie I have seen in the last year or so. Laughed a lot and also a wee bit chocked at one bit. 

9/10

Rudolf's Mate

The Infiltrator 8.5/10

Bryan Cranston is pretty good however there's a few decent parts in it. I put off watching it because it wasn't getting great reviews but glad I did.

rudi must stay

Star Wars Rogue One

Star Wars is in a great place just now. This film is acted superbly from all and really has the sense of fun that the first 3 had. I actually like it better than the one last year for that reason, visually it is superb too

10/10

Say What Again

The Girl on the Train 7/10.

Emily Blunt was great but I found the structure of the film stopped it being an 8 or a 9 for me.

The Magnificent Seven 8/10.

I love westerns so really hoped they hadn't made a pigs ear of the old classic. Absolutely not. Based only loosely on the original, in that seven hired guns help a poor oppressed town, there's plenty cowboy action and a decent bit of humour too. Django's still the stand-out of the recent Western's, but I'm delighted there's been so many decent offerings over the past few years. 

One other thing these two films happened to have in common was a massive added bonus...

haley_bennett_11.jpg

:wub:

Rudolf's Mate

The Girl on the Train 7/10.

Emily Blunt was great but I found the structure of the film stopped it being an 8 or a 9 for me.

The Magnificent Seven 8/10.

I love westerns so really hoped they hadn't made a pigs ear of the old classic. Absolutely not. Based only loosely on the original, in that seven hired guns help a poor oppressed town, there's plenty cowboy action and a decent bit of humour too. Django's still the stand-out of the recent Western's, but I'm delighted there's been so many decent offerings over the past few years.

One other thing these two films happened to have in common was a massive added bonus...

haley_bennett_11.jpg

:wub:

Who's that? :sweeet:

Looks like Haley Bennet but didn't realise she was in Django.

jack D and coke

The Guv'Nor 6/10

Story about Lenny McLean the so called hardest man in London. It's quite interesting I suppose.

Tries to show a different side to the guy and it's a decent enough watch for an hour and a bit.

Say What Again

Who's that? :sweeet:

Looks like Haley Bennet but didn't realise she was in Django.

Apologies for my wording, it is Haley Bennet mate. The 'two films' I was referring to were Girl on the Train and The Magnificent Seven :thumb:

Say What Again

The Guv'Nor 6/10

Story about Lenny McLean the so called hardest man in London. It's quite interesting I suppose.

Tries to show a different side to the guy and it's a decent enough watch for an hour and a bit.

I forgot I watched that on Sunday too. I'd also give it 6/10 (just).

It was reasonably interesting but the son annoyed me. I'm not sure I was buying the emotional roller coaster ride he was trying to put across that filming the documentary was putting him on.

The 'fight' in the cafe near the end seemed a bit staged as well.

You know what you're going to get with these kind of documentaries, but I still had to laugh as it was coming to a finish and Lenny's old mate (ex sparring partner in the blue suit and pocket watch) said everybody had Lenny wrong, he was a real nice guy, wouldn't harm a fly etc etc, he just realised he could make money with his fists. Real nice guy oh yeah, totally misunderstood he was. I must have imagined the bit earlier where he punched his best mate to death and bit - yes ******* BIT - his throat out :lol:

Edited by Say What Again

Rudolf's Mate

Apologies for my wording, it is Haley Bennet mate. The 'two films' I was referring to were Girl on the Train and The Magnificent Seven :thumb:

I'm being thick bud. I should have picked up on that as I watched both films within 24 hours recently and checked as I recognised her. At least that's what I told the Mrs as I mulled over her pics on IMDB [emoji3]

jack D and coke

I forgot I watched that on Sunday too. I'd also give it 6/10 (just).

It was reasonably interesting but the son annoyed me. I'm not sure i was buying the emotional roller coaster ride he was trying to come across filming the documentary was putting him on.

The 'fight' in the cafe near the end seemed a bit staged as well.

You know what you're going to get with these kind of documentaries, but I still had to laugh near then end when the Lenny's old mate (ex sparring partner in the blue suit and pocket watch) said everybody had Lennie wrong, he was a real nice guy, wouldn't harm a fly etc etc, he just realised he could make money with his fists. Real nice guy oh yeah, totally misunderstood he was. I must have imagined the bit earlier where he punched his best mate to death and bit - yes ******* BIT - his throat out :lol:

Aye his laddie just came across a bit too much of a cockney . I love cockneys btw I find them great company and great characters but he was a bit of a *****. He was just a bit too much apples and pears gawd luv a duck yooo slaaaag for me!

As was his mate who tried to paint him as a salt of earth type.

Bollocks[emoji1]

Shanks said no

Christmas with the Coopers

5/10

Watched this a bit late on 12th night! A feel good movie with John Goodman, Alan Arkin and Diane Keaton. Heart-warming stuff, extra point for the deadpan AA.

Blue Ruin  :2thumbsup:  The arrow bit    :33:  :28:  :27:  

Edited by Hector Riva

Riddley Walker

Recently watched:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - 9/10 (thanks JKB)

Captain Fantastic - 8.5/10

Girl on the Train - 7/10

Sully - 6/10

Shanks said no

Nine Lives

5/10

Family comedy starring Kevin Spacey and Christopher Walken. Yes its nonsense but Walken gets the chance to play a weird Cat Shop owner so its not a complete waste of time.

Rudolf's Mate

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - 5/10

Wish I never went back! Think 5's being generous. Really enjoyed the last one but this was meh!

Shanks said no

Cell (2016)

2/10

So much potential ! Based on the Stephen King story and starring John Cusack and Samuel L Jackson. Many similarities to the Walking Dead and it initially felt that it could develop into a better story with the zombies evolving into a force. However it didn't. I watched the end three times and still did not get it. Had to resort to looking for an explanation online, which illustrated I wasn't the only viewer who needed an explanation.

rudi must stay

Convenience

Not bad for a low budget effort. Some good performances, it has some great comic scenes and I did feel it had some excellent scenes

6/10

Shanks said no

The Legend of Tarzan (2016)

6/10

Better than expected and a fairly good Tarzan film. The bad Belgians led by Christoph Waltz are out to enslave the Congo, Tarzan is back in the UK and gets the call to return, along with Jane and Samuel L Jackson...... I really enjoyed the end of the film where the majority of the budget must have gone.

" the girl on the train " - incredibly over rated ( book and film ) I had been looking for a good pyschological thrilled book or author since my favourite Ruth Rendell sadly died . However this is not in her league . It's a fairly bland story which didn't have me " hooked " like so many others apparently . Good performance from Emily blunt although looked nothing like the character from the book . One of the better aspects of the book was London and that was changed for the film. One good thing was the depiction of alcoholism . Very realistic .

Sent from my B3-A30 using Tapatalk

" hell or high water " _ almost a modern day Western in Texas with Jeff bridges , chris pine and Ben foster . Really good film however what the **** is up with Jeff bridges voice ? He's a real mumbler now and it was hard to make him out. Apparently he changes it for these roles and it's not natural . It's ruining his performances although it kind of worked for " true grit "

Sent from my B3-A30 using Tapatalk

Shanks said no

Independence Day: Resurgence 

2/10

Did not like it, only gave it points for the special effects, way too many stereotypes.

Carl Fredrickson

Pride

Recorded it when it was on at Christmas and watched it last night. 

Set in the 1980s, it tells the true story of the gay community in London supporting a group of Welsh striking miners. 

Made by BBC films, it has a few familiar faces in it. 

I grew up in a mining community so I could empathise with a lot of the movie. 

A lot of humour as well as a good reflection on how things were for many of us in the 80s

My wife is too young to remember much of the 80s but she loves the movie too

9/10

Rudolf's Mate

Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them - 8/10

Don't normally watch these with the kids however ended up watching it and was surprised tbh. Very enjoyable.

Famtastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 8/10 - Really enjoyed it and i am not a fan of Harry Potter movies.

Moonlight 6/10 - Didnt really think it was that good but i can see how others might.

Slevinkelevra

10 cloverlfield Lane

Didn't know much about it, started off great, a real mystery about a girl who crashes her car and wakes up in a nuclear shelter. John goodman was brilliant.

Ending was mental and ruined the rest of the film for me

5/10

chester copperpot

Rogue one - 6/10

First hour and 20 mins were boring and couldn't keep my interest and then the movie came alive and was brilliant for the last 40mins.

Shame as was really looking forward to this one.

Say What Again

The Hunstman: Winter War 5/10

Bursd picked it as we saw the first one together in the cinema (went to see something else and missed it).

Expected it to be shite. It was.

Hacksaw Ridge 9/10

Really good movie with some brutal war scenes about Desmond Doss who refused to carry a weapon but still bevcame a hero.

Shanks said no

Anthropoid

8/10

Was a bit late seeing this and can only endorse previous reviews. Old style war film with action rather than millions spent on special effects. In case anyone else has missed its Prague/WW2/Assassinating Heydrich

Captain America: Civil War - more Marvel daftness but I enjoy the Captain America films more than any of the other Avengers films. 7/10

The Drop - took ages to get round to watching this but it was good. Tom Hardy and James Gandolfini top quality as always. 7/10

Shanks said no

Swallows and Amazons

5/10

Movie of Arthur Ransome's classic book. Very Secret 7 / Famous 5 and spot on in that aspect. What I did wonder was who would really like this film, I would have thought a very narrow age band of kids and some nostalgic adults looking back at more innocent time?

Manchester By The Sea - excellent drama about a guy whose brother dies and is made guardian of his teenage son. Casey Affleck is outstanding in it. 9/10

Carl Fredrickson

Captain Fantastic

Watched this on the recommendation of this thread and really enjoyed it Quite sad at times but a very good film. 

8/10

I dont watch many films nowadays so this thread is very helpful in choosing what to watch when time allows. 

La La Land

8/10

Having seen the trailer I thought this was going to be totally style and fun. But there is actually a 'serious' story about following your dream (or not) and the relationship between the characters of Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.

It is a musical though it becomes mostly jazz pieces as part of film story.

Alright. A bit 'soppy' so not everyone's taste but worth a try.