**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

4 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Russell Wilson has been traded to NY. 

Haha, WTF is that all about? Is a baseball career a real possibility for when he finishes his football life?

• Replies 33.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

7 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Haha, WTF is that all about? Is a baseball career a real possibility for when he finishes his football life?

No, but he was a good player as a lad. Was drafted years back, which is not unusual. There are other examples (which I can’t think of offhand!). First time I’ve heard of a trade like this. Presumably some commercial benefit that the Yankees can see.

He’ll never play in MLB. 

6 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

When he was in college at NC State, he wanted to keep playing both sports but the football coach didn't want him to, favoring up-and-coming quarterback Mike Glennon. So he transferred for one year to play at Wisconsin while continuing to play minor league ball in the summer. We went to spring training with his baseball clubs for several years but to my knowledge hasn't gone in recent years.

The funniest part about it is there was a point where 3 of 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL were former NC State quarterbacks (Wilson, Glennon, and Rivers), which for (arch-rival school) UNC fans like me is hilarious because even with three of them NC State never managed to be particularly good.

He's never had a particularly good year in minor league ball but even Michael Jordan enjoyed kicking around the farm teams for a year or so.

On 05/02/2018 at 03:37, Gards said:

But to call Brady a bad loser is a bit off for the player he was...

Aye but he's a shite WR.

Edited by ri Alban

2 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Was it not deion sanders who played baseball and an nfl game the same weekend?

Think Bo Jackson may have done so as well.

Shame how forgotten he's become. He was at the top of both games simultaneously -- one of the most feared hitters in baseball while one of the most dangerous running backs in football.

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Some scenes already at the parade.

Impressive, but compare it to 98 and it’s a bit meh

37 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Jimmy g just got insane money.

Insane is right. Based on what? A good run of games at the end, but two or three dead rubbers in there. 

He may turn out to be a great, but making him the highest paid player ever (on average per year basis) is a nonsense. 

Edited by Peebo

Jason Kelce just went tonto during his speech. Apart from the fact he's started singing about Super Philly, no one likes us like the Huns, he might be my new favourite person.

luckyBatistuta
58 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Insane is right. Based on what? A good run of games at the end, but two or three dead rubbers in there. 

He may turn out to be a great, but making him the highest paid player ever (on average per year basis) is a nonsense. 

It is an insane amount, how much is Rodgers going to get :woot:

18 hours ago, Peebo said:

Only one dead rubber in there (Rams) - the Jags still had something to play for when he put up 37 points against the best D in the league. With Pierre Garcon as his number one receiver!

Its not without risk but one worth taking for the niners. He has looked very good, albeit from a small sample. And even after this, the niners still have the second most space in the salary cap and it puts pressure on the caps of whoever signs Cousins and Smith, as well as those who have QB contracts up next season (Rodgers, Wentz, Wilson amongst others I think) as they’ll all be rubbing their hands together. 

23 minutes ago, Zico said:

Only one dead rubber in there (Rams) - the Jags still had something to play for when he put up 37 points against the best D in the league. With Pierre Garcon as his number one receiver!

The wins against Houston and Chicago came in games where no one had anything to play for. 

The wins against Tennessee and Jacksonville were both impressive. 

28 minutes ago, Peebo said:

The wins against Houston and Chicago came in games where no one had anything to play for. 

The wins against Tennessee and Jacksonville were both impressive. 

Sorry was thinking of games where players were rested. Would’ve liked to have seen him play against a full strength Rams. 

I think its a lot of cap space ($37m) to give to a QB who has not much talent around him next year at the skills positions.  Maybe will get Saquon Barkley in the first round which would be a good pick.

On 08/02/2018 at 19:54, bertracoon said:

Jason Kelce just went tonto during his speech. Apart from the fact he's started singing about Super Philly, no one likes us like the Huns, he might be my new favourite person.

That was sensational.

What a man 

• 3 weeks later...
Sexton Hardcastle

Snowed in watching some combine.

raiders niners  coin toss not long away. Highlight of the day.

hmfc_liam06

Robert Quinn off to the Dolphins with rumours of them wanting to trade up in the draft to get a QB.

Is it just me or has the NFL gone trade daft in the last year?

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Seattle going to be a different team next year with all these defensive departures.

And the Eagles even better!

Landry traded to the Browns for 2 picks, no confirmation on which yet but reports it's for 2018 and 2019 picks but neither in first 2 rounds.

I'd expect Taylor to be the placeholder for whichever QB the Browns draft at #1 or #4 in the draft. Good plan to have a back-up in case the pick needs some time before becoming the starter.

hmfc_liam06

Chicago making moves.

QB: Mitchell Trubisky

RB1: Jordan Howard

RB2: Tarik Cohen

WR: Allen Robinson

WR: Kevin White

WR: Cameron Meredith

TE1: Trey Burton

TE2: Adam Shaheen

Keeping them fit will be the difficult part.

hmfc_liam06
6 minutes ago, Ross992 said:

Was about to dump Paul Richardson in dynasty but that is a nice pay day for him! Might have to hold off for now! :-) 

I thought that was a shocker until I seen what the Ravens are paying Ryan Grant...

:cornette_dog:

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I thought that was a shocker until I seen what the Ravens are paying Ryan Grant...

Is it just me or has the free agency madness kicked up a bit this year?  A few eye raisers all over the place!

Sexton Hardcastle

Carr to nelson will be fun but think letting Crabtree walk will be a mistake. Made a lot of clutch catches past few season.

Sexton Hardcastle
On 14/03/2018 at 11:31, hmfc_liam06 said:

Unfortunately for grant he failed the medical. Do not pass go, do not collect $29m 

luckyBatistuta

Colts have traded their number 3 pick in the draft to the Jets. In return, they will receive the Jets 6th, 37th and 49th picks, plus their second round pick in 2019. When first seeing the headline, I wasn’t happy, but looking at what we are getting and with having so many positions in need of upgrading, it seems like a good trade for the Colts. We could still possibly get Chubb at 6, so could be a great bit of business. 

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Colts have traded their number 3 pick in the draft to the Jets. In return, they will receive the Jets 6th, 37th and 49th picks, plus their second round pick in 2019. When first seeing the headline, I wasn’t happy, but looking at what we are getting and with having so many positions in need of upgrading, it seems like a good trade for the Colts. We could still possibly get Chubb at 6, so could be a great bit of business. 

There genuinely could be 4 QB's go in the first 5 picks with Barkley going at 4. Chubb will almost certainly be there for you at 6.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

There genuinely could be 4 QB's go in the first 5 picks with Barkley going at 4. Chubb will almost certainly be there for you at 6.

Wouldn’t think the Browns will be happy about this trade. They knew the Colts weren’t taking a QB, so I reckon they might have been thinking of taking Barkley with their 1st and then still able to get the QB they want with their 4th pick. It’s possible we might even trade down again.