**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Highly entertaining game, but I thought the normally neutral Chris Collinsworth displayed a bias toward New England.

He thought two of the Eagles' TDs should have been disallowed, even after official reviews ruled them good.

I like him and can see why he would think that. Plenty folk weren’t sure when we were watching it and quite a few didn’t think were. I thought the first one wasn’t as the ball moved and then his second foot was out. I was happy that they gave it though. It was the bbc coverage we were watching and thought they had a great panel, especially  Carlson and Umenyiora.

• Replies 33.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

10 hours ago, Cade said:

So you'd rest on your laurels and stop pushing yourself?

A Superbowl winner's ring cannot be taken away, neither can a Superbowl MVP accolade.

He's young enough to move franchises and try to make his name as a first choice QB. 

But I do agree that he should maybe take a year to milk this triumph for all he can, considering he came in as a replacement in december.

It's a decision a lot of NFL players are making. QBs don't take the head-pounding that other players do, but it's a league that's absolutely brutal on the body with long-term health consequences, and the league is littered with players who had one shining moment and ran themselves into the ground trying to chase another one.

Foles could make millions of dollars a year holding a clipboard with the Eagles, if I were in his shoes, I'd consider it.  The biggest concern would be if Wentz went through a bad spell, the fans would start calling for Foles no matter whose fault it was.

Sticks in my throat to say it as its basically the NFL equivalent of the Hobo's breaking their Scottish Cup duck but Philly undoubtably deserved to win last night. They were locked in and just about managed to keep the Pats at arms length. Was a great game for the neutral though and a good ending to a pretty tough NFL season given everything thats gone on!

Prediction: On the plus side I think the Jets will overpay for Foles and he won't ever repeat his heroics of the last few weeks. Such is the way of the Jets  :rofl:

On another note has the reigning NFL Champs ever played in one of the London games as I see the Eagles travel to play at Wembley against the Jags on either the 21st or 28th October......?

Perhaps the loss of Carson Wentz was the key to the victory last night.

With Foles being a weaker QB, it forced the rest of the roster to raise their game to help him at the end of the regular season.

Then when Foles kicked into high gear and started playing out of his skin during the playoffs and the SB itself, the team as a whole was in better shape than if they'd been relying on Wentz to make plays by himself.

Love me some whataboutery :P 

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I like him and can see why he would think that. Plenty folk weren’t sure when we were watching it and quite a few didn’t think were. I thought the first one wasn’t as the ball moved and then his second foot was out. I was happy that they gave it though. It was the bbc coverage we were watching and thought they had a great panel, especially  Carlson and Umenyiora.

You forgot about Southgate.

:muggy:

1 hour ago, Hendricks said:

Sticks in my throat to say it as its basically the NFL equivalent of the Hobo's breaking their Scottish Cup duck but Philly undoubtably deserved to win last night. They were locked in and just about managed to keep the Pats at arms length. Was a great game for the neutral though and a good ending to a pretty tough NFL season given everything thats gone on!

Prediction: On the plus side I think the Jets will overpay for Foles and he won't ever repeat his heroics of the last few weeks. Such is the way of the Jets  :rofl:

On another note has the reigning NFL Champs ever played in one of the London games as I see the Eagles travel to play at Wembley against the Jags on either the 21st or 28th October......?

Although I was a neutral, I wanted the Eagles to win because, well, just because.

But I hadn't considered the implications.  About halfway through the game my wife looked at me with a puzzled expression and asked, "Are you cheering for a team in green jerseys?"

She plans on grassing to the other members of the family.  I'll never live it down.

52 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Although I was a neutral, I wanted the Eagles to win because, well, just because.

But I hadn't considered the implications.  About halfway through the game my wife looked at me with a puzzled expression and asked, "Are you cheering for a team in green jerseys?"

She plans on grassing to the other members of the family.  I'll never live it down.

I moved here a year and a half ago. Mentioned that I didn't like green but basically didn't have a choice. Don't think my father-in-law would have accepted me not supporting them. I tell myself it's a very dark green, unlike the Hibby spewy green colour. They've been fun to watch all year and I'd say they deserved to win last night. The first "bobble" touchdown I could see them maybe overturning it but the second one - no chance. Caught it, took three steps and broke the plane. Touchdown. My father-in-law was going radge at the commentators at that point. They almost won that game twice last night, 10 points up from the first, then got battered by Brady before sorting it out and finally getting to Brady when it really mattered.

Now, I just hope there's some of Philly left after the parade. Seemed mostly good-natured but folk seem to want to climb poles in this town for some reason!

2 hours ago, bertracoon said:

I moved here a year and a half ago. Mentioned that I didn't like green but basically didn't have a choice. Don't think my father-in-law would have accepted me not supporting them. I tell myself it's a very dark green, unlike the Hibby spewy green colour. They've been fun to watch all year and I'd say they deserved to win last night. The first "bobble" touchdown I could see them maybe overturning it but the second one - no chance. Caught it, took three steps and broke the plane. Touchdown. My father-in-law was going radge at the commentators at that point. They almost won that game twice last night, 10 points up from the first, then got battered by Brady before sorting it out and finally getting to Brady when it really mattered.

Now, I just hope there's some of Philly left after the parade. Seemed mostly good-natured but folk seem to want to climb poles in this town for some reason!

:biggrin:

Funnily enough, that was the excuse I used too.

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You forgot about Southgate.

:muggy:

:laugh: forgot about him.

Love Mike Carlson as a presenter, he knows his stuff, very knowledgable guy. He also adds a good bit of humour t proceedings.

6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Hue makes all the difference in the world. :)

Here's a color chart of all of the official hues for NFL teams. Note the Eagles' is actually more of an aqua green, and so is as close to Hearts trim blue as Hibs green. The only close to Hibs green is the Seahawks second color -- even the Packers shade more to a water green.

https://teamcolorcodes.com/nfl-team-color-codes/

Now cheering for the Boston Celtics, on the other hand....

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

First one he didnt look like he had control until his left foot was coming down and that landed oob so was surprised that stood. Second one i think he was just out the catching phase and tackled as he transfered to the running phase so i think of the two that was clearer cut but both could of gone either way. Its so subjective. Same in baseball number of calls the Bosox had last year where i thought yes we have this one and its gone against us drives me nuts. But it will never be perfect unless you remove the human part and unlike tennis you can’t do that. 

There’s absolutely no debate on Ertz’s touchdown. He took 3 steps after the catch, if that’s not becoming a runner then I don’t know what is.

Don’t think the first should have stood. He didn’t have the ball secured until his foot was OOB.

Eagles fans won’t care though, and neither they should.

59 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

There’s absolutely no debate on Ertz’s touchdown. He took 3 steps after the catch, if that’s not becoming a runner then I don’t know what is.

Don’t think the first should have stood. He didn’t have the ball secured until his foot was OOB.

Eagles fans won’t care though, and neither they should.

I think the debate on the first one was if he lost control, or was just re-positioning the ball, and they decided there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the TD ruling. But we've seen that overturned in other games, so it's a matter of inconsistency over the whole catch rule...again.

213 days until the new season.

I'll miss my NFL Sunday's, looking forward to the schedule coming out in April and planning a trip state side to see a game or two. 

I have big hopes for the Saints next season and really not far away from being a real contender next year. 

Anybody heading to London this year? 

Needing help here. Does anyone remember The Scottish Claymores? if so do you don't happen to know who or where still has a Claymores top/tops and are willing to sell? Medium or Large preferably. 

11 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Hue makes all the difference in the world. :)

Here's a color chart of all of the official hues for NFL teams. Note the Eagles' is actually more of an aqua green, and so is as close to Hearts trim blue as Hibs green. The only close to Hibs green is the Seahawks second color -- even the Packers shade more to a water green.

https://teamcolorcodes.com/nfl-team-color-codes/

Now cheering for the Boston Celtics, on the other hand....

After cheering for a team in green, I feel like a hue jaynus.  :laugh:

Is there scope for the catch rule changing? I thought I heard some chat about it but that could've been a sleep-deprived hallucination :lol:

19 hours ago, bertracoon said:

My dad doesn't enjoy me wearing philly colours much. 

Wearing a shade of green doesnt make me any less of a die hard Jambo though lol

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

After cheering for a team in green, I feel like a hue jaynus.  :laugh:

I can't even pretend it's British racing green. :ninja:

It's black on the telly :D That's my excuse.

3 hours ago, Boof said:

Is there scope for the catch rule changing? I thought I heard some chat about it but that could've been a sleep-deprived hallucination :lol:

It's getting binned.

7 hours ago, Louis Litt said:

I think the debate on the first one was if he lost control, or was just re-positioning the ball, and they decided there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the TD ruling. But we've seen that overturned in other games, so it's a matter of inconsistency over the whole catch rule...again.

Who was the Giant(Beckham?)who caught the ball with one hand against his helmet (Calm Doon). That would be overturned with this control rule. No?

Edited by ri Alban

alwaysthereinspirit

Listening to Sports Radio here in Boston today the belief is Coach Bill may have let his ego get in the way of actually doing “what’s right for the team”

8 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Listening to Sports Radio here in Boston today the belief is Coach Bill may have let his ego get in the way of actually doing “what’s right for the team”

He dropped that lad into the special teams?

alwaysthereinspirit
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He dropped that lad into the special teams?

Malcolm Butler. Played 97% of defensive snaps during the regular season and 100% during the 2 play off games prior to the Super Bowl. Played 1 play during the Super Bowl on a punt.

A decent starting corner back in any ones eyes. Reduced to being a back up to the back ups back up. In a game the Patriots couldn’t get out of their own way. 

Think coach Bill dropped the ball on this one.

7 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Malcolm Butler. Played 97% of defensive snaps during the regular season and 100% during the 2 play off games prior to the Super Bowl. Played 1 play during the Super Bowl on a punt.

A decent starting corner back in any ones eyes. Reduced to being a back up to the back ups back up. In a game the Patriots couldn’t get out of their own way. 

Was he the lad in tears at the anthem. If I remember right did he not intercept the Seahawks on the goal line at the Superbowl a couple of years ago, or was it against the Falcons.

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Was he the lad in tears at the anthem. If I remember right did he not intercept the Seahawks on the goal line at the Superbowl a couple of years ago, or was it against the Falcons.

He was. 

Read something saying he has missed a curfew and got caught smoking weed and that was why he was dropped. Probably not from a concrete source though. 

alwaysthereinspirit
33 minutes ago, KineticBeat said:

He was. 

Read something saying he has missed a curfew and got caught smoking weed and that was why he was dropped. Probably not from a concrete source though. 

The issue around here is he was allowed to dress to play and then did have one play. Once it was obvious Rowe was out of his depth Butler should have been on the field.

1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Over-inflated the ball, Shirley? 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Who was the Giant(Beckham?)who caught the ball with one hand against his helmet (Calm Doon). That would be overturned with this control rule. No?

David Tyree was the receiver in question. 

There was no doubt about it being a catch as the ball never touched the ground.

Also it was the last catch he ever made in the NFL.

alwaysthereinspirit
3 minutes ago, Boston Jambo said:

McDaniels backs out of the Colts job and stays in NE.

The plot thickens! Heir apparent to  Belichick.

I'd guess he's been promised the job after next season. Supposedly a big pay raise too. Him and Brady hopefully have a couple of more chapters to write. I honestly thought Belichick would leave for the Giants. I'm still gutted over Sunday.

6 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I'd guess he's been promised the job after next season. Supposedly a big pay raise too. Him and Brady hopefully have a couple of more chapters to write. I honestly thought Belichick would leave for the Giants. I'm still gutted over Sunday.

He's his natural successor, I said it at the time that I would be surprised if he left NE.

Colts are a shambles :lol:

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

He's his natural successor, I said it at the time that I would be surprised if he left NE.

Colts are a shambles :lol:

What a total embarrassment for the Colts. Yes they’re a shambles, but this is beyond their control. If he wants to renege on a deal, then there is nothing much they can do about it. Think it’s a pretty scummy thing to do, considering he had been getting his own backroom staff in place at Indy. The Pats are welcome to the classless #####, a perfect fit. We move on :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

What a total embarrassment for the Colts. Yes they’re a shambles, but this is beyond their control. If he wants to renege on a deal, then there is nothing much they can do about it. Think it’s a pretty scummy thing to do, considering he had been getting his own backroom staff in place at Indy. The Pats are welcome to the classless #####, a perfect fit. We move on :rolleyes:

Had you guys hired his co-ordinators? Grim if so.

Who's the early favourite?

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Had you guys hired his co-ordinators? Grim if so.

Who's the early favourite?

Yup, they had the other guys in place, some signed I think :sad:

Matt Nagy early favourite 

12 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yup, they had the other guys in place, some signed I think :sad:

Matt Nagy early favourite 

I doubt Matt Nagy will be the favourite, he's just taken over the Bears :lol:

Edited by hmfc_liam06

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I doubt Matt Nagy will be the favourite, he's just taken over the Bears :lol:

:facepalm: what a plum :woot::lol:

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

To be fair, not as much of a classless scumbag as the Colts owner!

luckyBatistuta
15 minutes ago, Peebo said:

To be fair, not as much of a classless scumbag as the Colts owner!

What’s Irsay’s character got to do with this though?

8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

What’s Irsay’s character got to do with this though?

Nothing directly. You mentioned one classless scumbag, and I immediately thought of an even more classless scumbag with a link to the story!

Wouldn’t have been the first time a thread has gone off at a tangent on Kickback...

Back on topic, as he hadn’t signed a contract, the Colts probably jumped the gun. “Rivalry back on”, though :laugh::laugh::laugh:

alwaysthereinspirit
4 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Nothing directly. You mentioned one classless scumbag, and I immediately thought of an even more classless scumbag with a link to the story!

Wouldn’t have been the first time a thread has gone off at a tangent on Kickback...

Back on topic, as he hadn’t signed a contract, the Colts probably jumped the gun. “Rivalry back on”, though :laugh::laugh::laugh:

They do play each other this year. Gillette though. Patriots/Colts was a real rivalry when both teams had a good chance of winning the game. Not for a while has that been a thing.

Just now, alwaysthereinspirit said:

They do play each other this year. Gillette though. Patriots/Colts was a real rivalry when both teams had a good chance of winning the game. Not for a while has that been a thing.

Exactly. Well aware of the rivalry in the not-too-distant past. However, the Colts have recently struggled maintaining a decent rivalry in the AFC South, never mind with the Patriots! 

alwaysthereinspirit
1 minute ago, Peebo said:

Exactly. Well aware of the rivalry in the not-too-distant past. However, the Colts have recently struggled maintaining a decent rivalry in the AFC South, never mind with the Patriots! 

Your division is where the rivalry should be. The Patriots/Colts was more Brady/Manning brought on by ESPN. That was proved later with the Patriots/Broncos "rivalry"

Where did that come from if not QB v QB. I hate ESPN.

luckyBatistuta
24 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Yup, Ballard says that was on him jumping the gun.

From the classless McDaniels to the classy Ballard...

R.I.P.  Edwin Jackson and Jeffrey Monroe

Edited by luckyBatistuta