Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Harry Potter
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The first one looked like a yippy twitch.   Seemed to suddenly flick at it.    Horrible.

Should have walked away , spoke to his caddy for a minute, easy to get trapped in a moment .

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those who miss from within 3 feet will be doing something very basic, I'd bet there's a hand or body movement happening that shouldn't be, short back and smooth through, no weird movement, no wrist action, no hips swaying.

My stroke gets too long sometimes meaning I decelerate and generally my bad putts are pulls. Short controlled stroke. 

Ive also changed my grip to a smaller, less chuncky one and also loosen my grip with the hands. Been putting much better recently for it 

Out early today, open at muir of ord, 14 straight pars, birdied 15th, par 16th , finish bogey, double bogey. Raging. Might get cut a couple, at least one I hope. 

hmfc_liam06

Forfar tomorrow. Played it before and enjoyed it (despite being winter greens), looking forward to enjoying the full course.

Morning all, I finally put in my third card for my handicap yesterday and was given the very stretching handicap of 8. I don’t think there’s any chance I will play to that though. It seems they took my best card (81) and calculated from there and didn’t really look at the other two (89 and 88). The standard scratch is 72 but the course yesterday was playing a lot easier (Craigielaw) with the medal tees being marginally further back than the blues and little to no wind. I guess this is just a starting point and after a few comps I’ll probably move closer to 11 or 12. At least I get a chance to say I have a single figure handicap!

Happy golfing fellow jambos!

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Liberton Open today, first visit.

Anyone else going?  any advice?

How were the greens? They were rapid last year when I played

I threw in an absolute stinker at Forfar today. Worst golf of the year, by a mile. Was blocking everything right off the tee, must have been 3 off the tee 7 or 8 times. Woeful stuff.

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Liberton Open today, first visit.

Anyone else going?  any advice?

How did you enjoy it? Did you find there was no need for the driver? 14 has a bit of length from the back tee but a 3 Wood or driving iron is still suffice. 

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I threw in an absolute stinker at Forfar today. Worst golf of the year, by a mile. Was blocking everything right off the tee, must have been 3 off the tee 7 or 8 times. Woeful stuff.

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

59 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

How did you enjoy it? Did you find there was no need for the driver? 14 has a bit of length from the back tee but a 3 Wood or driving iron is still suffice. 

lovely course, really enjoyed it. greens were very good, I putted well on them (been putting terrible lately).

I drove well today (with driver), but I am not a huge hitter.

Found it difficult getting the ball to stay on the greens.

42,43 (net 71) 

started with stupid 7, then 3x DB's on the back nine (all from nowhere)

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Cheers I'll check it out.

I actually cancelled my lesson with the pro today to play instead. Wrong move :lol:

Samuel Camazzola

I played King's Acre yesterday and was surprised by how green and lush the place was despite the dry, hot spell. The greens were very receptive and soft which was different from what I've been used to of late. 

What was disappointing was the ignorance of some players who fail to repair their pitch marks. When I repair mine, I always make an effort to seek out and repair one other. However, on every green I was repairing up to half a dozen marks which were clearly visible to anyone who'd be in the vicinity of the greens. A lot were obviously fresh as pieces of turf were sitting on the surface. The offenders will no doubt be the ones who complain about conditions when they miss putts! 

Otherwise, an enjoyable game and worth a visit for those who've never played it. 

William H. Bonney
52 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I played King's Acre yesterday and was surprised by how green and lush the place was despite the dry, hot spell. The greens were very receptive and soft which was different from what I've been used to of late. 

What was disappointing was the ignorance of some players who fail to repair their pitch marks. When I repair mine, I always make an effort to seek out and repair one other. However, on every green I was repairing up to half a dozen marks which were clearly visible to anyone who'd be in the vicinity of the greens. A lot were obviously fresh as pieces of turf were sitting on the surface. The offenders will no doubt be the ones who complain about conditions when they miss putts! 

Otherwise, an enjoyable game and worth a visit for those who've never played it. 

A pet hate of mine at kingsacre. 

Knock Offs

Anybody know someone who has bought clubs from AliExpress or someplace similar?

Having just been measured for Ping G400 irons at the weekend and given a quote  I was surprised at how these ones look at a sixth of the price.

Is it a case of the same club coming out a different door of the factory or are they completely sub standard copies?

UTB8W9.0BlahduJk43Jaq6zM8FXai.jpg

Link here for the website

Ping G400 clones

Fancied a change so I've bought some used irons and wedges.     Taylormade RAC irons with fatter grips and some Cleveland CG16 wedges 52 & 56.    Fancied giving the big grips a try for a while so looking forward to it.    I had a jumbo grip on a driver a few years ago and liked it.     Might get my driver and woods regripped if it goes well.    

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
21 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Who's airing the PGA this week, its not on sky?

Elevensports. Online service which is offering a 7 day free trial period. Not ideal but is the way the PGA are looking to market this. 

Disser Pointon
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Elevensports. Online service which is offering a 7 day free trial period. Not ideal but is the way the PGA are looking to market this. 

Sounds great ?

On the 9th June I was off 10.

Cut to 7 today.  Changed nothing, like I’ve said before and after every cut, all I’ve done is started running.  Lowest I’ve been and I’m playing well enough to get to 6 this season.

Well chuffed.

William H. Bonney
3 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Cut to 7 today.  Changed nothing, like I’ve said before and after every cut, all I’ve done is started running.  Lowest I’ve been and I’m playing well enough to get to 6 this season.

Well chuffed.

I love golf but I'll be ****ed if I'm going to start running. 

19 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Well chuffed.

Well done.    That's a significant cut over a short time.

Running has to put strength in the legs.    Leg strength is great for golf.     I wish I wasn't a lazy ****er and would work on this.

Saw another set of cheap used irons for sale so I've hoovered them up too.   Mizuno MP-60s.     Quite similar to the Taylormades.     Also bought some new hybrids.    Adams Tight Lies.    Lovely looking low profile,  bevelled sole things with stiff Kuro Kage shafts.    

Two sets of irons,  new hybrids,  new wedges and a driver.      

:vrface:

Just now, Barack said:

Sandy Lyle dropped off 3 sets of his irons he doesn't need, at St.Fillan's today. Handed them to my Dad(on the comittee.)Along with 500 balls & a signed cap. He's got a big house, with an even bigger garage, in fairness...

Hit each set about 5 times in practice. Some decent golfer will get a bargain, when they get auctioned off.

Superb.    He's a good spud is big Sandy.     Probably X shafts though and quite possibly an inch or so longer.

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yeah, spoken to him a couple of times. Very down to earth. Has a bi-annual Charity Day there. Very popular nowadays.

He was out playing 9 holes today.

Now that his Open exemption is ended,   I hope he does qualifying every year.    It would be nice to see him make another appearance out of the blue like Monty did.     Monty wanted to play Troon so he put in a great effort and made the qualifying.     Sunningdale I think.

Samuel Camazzola
22 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Now that his Open exemption is ended,   I hope he does qualifying every year.    It would be nice to see him make another appearance out of the blue like Monty did.     Monty wanted to play Troon so he put in a great effort and made the qualifying.     Sunningdale I think.

He did 36 holes in one day for qualifying didn't he? Impressive stuff considering the intensity, length of course and returning from injury at his age. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

He did 36 holes in one day for qualifying didn't he? Impressive stuff considering the intensity, length of course and returning from injury at his age. 

Yes if was a great effort and a bit surprising.      Mind you,     Sunningdale ( it was Sunningdale ) is right up Monty's street.      Similar to Wentworth and The Belfry,  etc where he's always done well.

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes if was a great effort and a bit surprising.      Mind you,     Sunningdale ( it was Sunningdale ) is right up Monty's street.      Similar to Wentworth and The Belfry,  etc where he's always done well.

Imagine Monty has another senior major or two in him but it's going to get tougher. A raft of main tour Pro's will soon be eligible - Els, Mickelson, Clarke and Harrington to name a few to add to Jiminez and Stricker who've recently joined and Langer who's going strong. 

Imagine Monty has another senior major or two in him but it's going to get tougher. A raft of main tour Pro's will soon be eligible - Els, Mickelson, Clarke and Harrington to name a few to add to Jiminez and Stricker who've recently joined and Langer who's going strong. 

It looked like Tom Watson was going to dominate but age seems to have caught him up big time.    Langer has been the best and most consistent by far in more recent years.    Monty had a wee purple patch.

It's questionable whether the seniors would interest Mickelson or Els.     Jimenez should be a strong contender.

Samuel Camazzola
28 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It looked like Tom Watson was going to dominate but age seems to have caught him up big time.    Langer has been the best and most consistent by far in more recent years.    Monty had a wee purple patch.

It's questionable whether the seniors would interest Mickelson or Els.     Jimenez should be a strong contender.

I'd imagine they'd compete in the majors unless the were contending in the FedEx and their schedules clashed. 

Samuel Camazzola

Went for some twilight golf at The Fairmont last night. Played the Torrance and the conditions were sublime. 

Although it's not a true links course, the wind had picked up and it allowed for some shot-making with the knock-down and 2 irons off the tee. 

Really enjoy it up there and will look to squeeze in more evening games before the light fades. 

No Mizuno MP60s now. Just had a story from the seller saying the courier hasn't collected them.   Very quick to refund.   I think he must think they went too cheaply.   They did.     Almost got a great deal there but it's just as well due to the other set coming.     Not until next week though.    Was looking forward to some new bats for the weekend comp.

Just off the New at St Andrews. It was an absolute delight. The greens were outstanding. Under 4 hours to get round which is always a bonus. Playing the Castle on Monday. I will report back with my moans and groans about how unfair it is later ?. Nice views though.

10 min wait for bus.   Half hour bus journey.  Shoes on and clubs sorted out.  9 holes playing 2 balls + extra chipping around the greens.   Clubs away and trainers on.  Shite.  A mile walk.  5 min bus journey.  5 min walk.  Made tea.  Ate tea.  Football bets on.  Reviewed emails.   Wrote this post.

150 mins flat.    No ****ing about.

Edited by Victorian

John mcCartney
23 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Went for some twilight golf at The Fairmont last night. Played the Torrance and the conditions were sublime. 

are they doing twylight deals there chief ?
i would love to play the torrance again
goswick,a big fave of mine,have twylight on all year at 30 squid after 3pm.......thats a superb deal

goin monktonhall sunday for the chase trophy,fakn rain forecast altho I might miss the heavy stuff

Cleveland wedges are tremendous.   A nice weighty feel and easy to float or punch out of a variety of lies.   Good spin on firm fast greens.

19 degree Adams hybrid.   Very strong club with a bit of weight in the small head.   Hit a couple of them to a green from approx 220.   One of them made the green.  That's tremendous hybrid length for me.   The 22 degree will be even easier to hit and draw.     

Medal tomorrow.  Means something therefore decent chipping will become 10 times harder due to club swinger turning into a jellyfish.

1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

I found the Cleveland wedges to be a bit lightweight, nice wedges, but prefer my vokeys now. 

CG16s.   Definitely a bit of weight.  Maybe other ones are lighter.    These are semi-cavity style rather than blades.  I think there's a low C.O.G. because they slide under the ball very easily.   I could end up chipping like a golfer soon.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

CG16s.   Definitely a bit of weight.  Maybe other ones are lighter.    These are semi-cavity style rather than blades.  I think there's a low C.O.G. because they slide under the ball very easily.   I could end up chipping like a golfer soon.

Aye it was 2 years ago I had them, can’t mind what model. 

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

RTX 2 or 3s? The 4s have just been released and look classy. 

Samuel Camazzola
45 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

are they doing twylight deals there chief ?
i would love to play the torrance again
goswick,a big fave of mine,have twylight on all year at 30 squid after 3pm.......thats a superb deal

goin monktonhall sunday for the chase trophy,fakn rain forecast altho I might miss the heavy stuff

I'm unsure as I've got one of the membership packages. Worth looking into as you can carry over unused rounds to the next year if you don't make use of them. Tee off times may have cheap times displayed if they do but you can also pay for 9 holes. 

I tee's off at 7pm to play 9 holes and it was ace. 

29 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Vokeys are raved about but even used sets are pricey.    If you want ones with decent grooves and grips.     

Anybody use anything more lofted than about 56 degrees?    I don't see much point in 60 or 62 lob wedges personally.

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Vokeys are raved about but even used sets are pricey.    If you want ones with decent grooves and grips.     

Anybody use anything more lofted than about 56 degrees?    I don't see much point in 60 or 62 lob wedges personally.

My Mizuno wedges were gapped at 52 and 56 but when I switched to Cleveland, got 52 and 58. I have a mate's 60 Vokey to try but it's too lofted. 

I see you can get the new Clevelands with an option of bounce as low as 3 degrees. You'd have to be playing of super-tight, dusty links fairways all the time to be getting the benefit of tgem

My Mizuno wedges were gapped at 52 and 56 but when I switched to Cleveland, got 52 and 58. I have a mate's 60 Vokey to try but it's too lofted. 

I see you can get the new Clevelands with an option of bounce as low as 3 degrees. You'd have to be playing of super-tight, dusty links fairways all the time to be getting the benefit of tgem

Yeah that's the way I see a set of two wedges.  56 sand iron with 52 gap wedge.    Tried hitting a full shot with a sixty something lob wedge once and it went about 30 yards.    Nut.

I'm not up to full knowledge on bounce loft stuff so I just get whatever looks average.    

Samuel Camazzola

The more bounce, the more the leading edge of the blade sits up. Not ideal for nice tight lies as increases the chances of skulling the ball. 

Ideal for bunker play, and cutting through lush juicy lies or rough.