Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Samuel Camazzola

Irufushi - Have you had the fortune to play the Carnegie Club up by Skibo? I've been reading up on it and this has leapt to #1 on my want list. May be a birthday treat to myself in the coming years.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Irufushi - Have you had the fortune to play the Carnegie Club up by Skibo? I've been reading up on it and this has leapt to #1 on my want list. May be a birthday treat to myself in the coming years.

No I haven't mate, I don't know anyone that has. I watched that shells wonderful world of golf when Norman played couples, didn't think it looked all that great tbh.

Wouldn't image it would be better than Royal Dornoch.

hmfc_liam06

No I haven't mate, I don't know anyone that has. I watched that shells wonderful world of golf when Norman played couples, didn't think it looked all that great tbh.

Wouldn't image it would be better than Royal Dornoch.

Dying to play Dornoch, mates a member so I've no excuse for not playing it.

My top 10 want to play in Scotland is probably: Royal Dornoch, Machrihanish, Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, Turnberry, Cruden Bay, Boat of Garten, Castle Stuart, Gullane 1 and obviously the Old Course.

According to the top 100 list (http://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/scotland?page=1) the highest ranked course I've played is the Duke's.

My top 10 want to play in Scotland is probably: Royal Dornoch, Machrihanish, Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, Turnberry, Cruden Bay, Boat of Garten, Castle Stuart, Gullane 1 and obviously the Old Course.

According to the top 100 list (http://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/scotland?page=1) the highest ranked course I've played is the Duke's.

Carnegie Club is ?300 pound for a round :rofl:. Dornoch for me is the best I've played, nothing comes close to it. Castle Stuart is lovely, but imo it plays really fair, not an overly difficult course.

I think I've said its over rated before, but I would add 'The Nairn' to your list if you haven't already played it. They have an open in July and a 5 day open in August I believe. Oh and spey Valley is my favourite inland course.

hmfc_liam06

Carnegie Club is ?300 pound for a round :rofl:. Dornoch for me is the best I've played, nothing comes close to it. Castle Stuart is lovely, but imo it plays really fair, not an overly difficult course.

I think I've said its over rated before, but I would add 'The Nairn' to your list if you haven't already played it. They have an open in July and a 5 day open in August I believe. Oh and spey Valley is my favourite inland course.

Castle Stuart sounds ideal for me then...if it's the type of course where you can be teeing on the first and hit the 3rd fairway then it's right up my street :lol:

My mate and his work mates go on a trip north every year, they're just back actually. 3 days and play Castle Stuart, Dornoch and Nairn. Sure they played Nairn Dunbar last year too. Spoilt for choice up your way!

Samuel Camazzola

I saw the standalone rates were very expensive but you get get golf and other activities included in a packaged stay (which is expensive but would be a treat). I only found out last week it is owned by the Sunderland FC chairman.

Wanted to play Dornoch for a while so that would be incorporated with the visit.

I'm back up to Spey Valley in September and looking forward to it. The last time I played, I played off the back tees and it was very long. Was pleased with my score of scrambling to an 80 only to witness Brooks Koepka's scorecard in the club house. He holds the course record whilst on the challenge tour which was in the low 60's!

I'm looking to do a day trip to Pitlochry too as heard good things about it.

Castle Stuart sounds ideal for me then...if it's the type of course where you can be teeing on the first and hit the 3rd fairway then it's right up my street :lol:

My mate and his work mates go on a trip north every year, they're just back actually. 3 days and play Castle Stuart, Dornoch and Nairn. Sure they played Nairn Dunbar last year too. Spoilt for choice up your way!

Yea, really lucky up here, list is endless! Nairn Dunbars greens on Saturday were unreal, couldn't believe how quick they were for April. My course opens its new course in early 2019, I am really looking forward to it.

I saw the standalone rates were very expensive but you get get golf and other activities included in a packaged stay (which is expensive but would be a treat). I only found out last week it is owned by the Sunderland FC chairman.

Wanted to play Dornoch for a while so that would be incorporated with the visit.

I'm back up to Spey Valley in September and looking forward to it. The last time I played, I played off the back tees and it was very long. Was pleased with my score of scrambling to an 80 only to witness Brooks Koepka's scorecard in the club house. He holds the course record whilst on the challenge tour which was in the low 60's!

If you do come up, check for opens at Dornoch, you'll get on for around ?40 instead of the standard green fee which is around ?120+ I think.

I've played spey a few times, blows my mind what the challenge tour guys score round it, it's great for an open the css is around 6 above the par :lol:

hmfc_liam06

I absolutely loved Pitlochry. We played it last September, it was wet as we'd had a fair bit of rain but the condition and layout of the course was brilliant. It's quite a short course but it's hilly, the first 3 holes are all on a climb...buggy is advised! You'll enjoy it.

hmfc_liam06

Yea, really lucky up here, list is endless! Nairn Dunbars greens on Saturday were unreal, couldn't believe how quick they were for April. My course opens its new course in early 2019, I am really looking forward to it.

I remember you mentioning that before, I'll have to look out for it.

My favourite area for golf to date has to be Angus, some really cracking courses - Strathmore, Alyth, Forfar, Monifeith, Arbroath, Downfield, Panmure, Montrose and then the two big guns of Carnoustie and Blairgowrie.

Samuel Camazzola

Credit Card company just increased my limit by over a grand.

Clubhouse Golf are doing half price new season sales on equipment.

Why do you tempt me, Satan! :sob:

Don't do it. ALWAYS go for a custom fitting.

Top 100 courses - I've play 31 of them, my ranking is

Trump International Aberdeen (experience worth every penny)

Muirfield

Kingsbarns

Renaissance Club

Old Course (only for holes 1, 17 & 18)

Gleneagles (Kings)

Luftness

Archerfield (both)

Queens & PGA

Gullane 2

Eyemouth (not on the list)

Pitlochry

Duff House Royal (not on the list)

hmfc_liam06

Muirfield

Kingsbarns

Renaissance Club

Gleneagles (Kings)

Luftness

Archerfield (both)

Queens & PGA

Gullane 2

Pitlochry

31...that just makes me depressed!

My top 10 to date is: Golf del Sur, Lundin Links, Pitlochry, Crail Balcomie, The Dukes, Scotscraig, Forfar, Strathmore, Leven & Arbroath. Yet to play what I'd consider an elite level golf course.

Had 18 hole practice today's my home course, started with a shank :facepalm: shot 76,+7. Back nine I played really well, +2 into a strong wind. Greens were terrible though.

Happy with that, only my second round this year

John mcCartney

I remember you mentioning that before, I'll have to look out for it.

My favourite area for golf to date has to be Angus, some really cracking courses - Strathmore, Alyth, Forfar, Monifeith, Arbroath, Downfield, Panmure, Montrose and then the two big guns of Carnoustie and Blairgowrie.

playing panmure in sept,might go for monifieth as well in august(opens)....yes ,like the scots pine,heathland sort of golfing 

landscape up there....has montrose two courses?

just remembered im in for the  earlsferry thistle open over east neuk way soon n all

haddington spring open week saturday

hmfc_liam06

playing panmure in sept,might go for monifieth as well in august(opens)....yes ,like the scots pine,heathland sort of golfing

landscape up there....has montrose two courses?

just remembered im in for the earlsferry thistle open over east neuk way soon n all

haddington spring open week saturday

I'm not sure if it has 2 courses or not, Monifieth definitely has 2 though.

deesidejambo

Muirfield

Kingsbarns

Renaissance Club

Gleneagles (Kings)

Luftness

Archerfield (both)

Queens & PGA

Gullane 2

Pitlochry

Why do you like the Trump course?   Layout?  Views? Greens?  Overall experience?   Interested to know as I may play it this year but its expensive.

Why do you like the Trump course?   Layout?  Views? Greens?  Overall experience?   Interested to know as I may play it this year but its expensive.

Ok, we played it on the last weekend of the winter rates, ?180 for 2 rounds if you play them within 7 days of each other, we played Saturday, stayed in a Premier Inn close by and went back on the Sunday.  The clubhouse wasn't fully built then so it was cabins, it was good enough but I've been back since and the clubhouse is unreal.

The practice area is unbelievable, loads of different bunkers, loads of different greens, flat pitching areas up high and down low, big whiskey barrels of balls, the greens on the practice area are mind blowing.

The practice putting green looks like you are wearing virtual reality glasses, it's perfect, it has a touch of the St Andrews Himalayas while also having loads of space to practice long straight putts. 

The tee's (the starter tells you which colour of tee's to play from - take this advice) they're like snooker tables, if my club had greens like these tee's then I'd be delighted.

Every hole involves taking your camera out, the views are spectacular - I went there Pre-President Trump with no real care and I must admit I 100% back his wind farm argument, you go there and see the views and he's correct that the view from that coast will be spoilt (now, I like a wind turbine too!)

The walkways from tee to fairway and perfect in every way, the colour, the condition, they're like a perfect carpet - but grass! Then you walk down to the fairway, which are all protected by dunes higher than houses, the fairways are a condition that I've never played off of, deep green surrounded by there pale dunes, it's honestly breath taking.

The greens (given the read above you can guess the greens are perfect) if you play on a better green than this then you wont be in Scotland and you'll be playing Augusta.

I played the Old Course in January and outside of the 1, 17 and 18 the rest just blend together, Trump I can remember nearly every hole, the photo below shows hole 3 - it's honestly amazing, this photo gets shown a lot and it is in fact taken from behind the hole looking towards the tee, all the Trump course photos look photoshopped but I can guarantee the views look exactly like this.

The Saturday was WILD and I shot 95 (quadruple bogey on par 3 16th) then on the Sunday it was calm and I was 86.  What was more unbelievable was Trump was there on the Sunday to see the new clubhouse and we met him out on the course, this was pre-president, he couldn't have been nicer.

getImage.gif?ID=100195

Here's a photo of mine from the 18th tee taken in the iPhone - no fancy camera work, lighting or filters.

11080344_10153155366380196_5121222055406

You might have guessed I liked it!  Heading to play Turnberry soon, ?149 for a night in a local hotel, round on Trump Turnberry and another on a local course.  It can't be as good as the above, I'll cum in my pants if it's close.

hmfc_liam06

Sake man you've now got me thinking of going up for a round! I believe Scots get a discounted rate too.

That's a cracking rate on Turnberry, where did you get that?

Sake man you've now got me thinking of going up for a round! I believe Scots get a discounted rate too.

That's a cracking rate on Turnberry, where did you get that?

Yourgolftravel - ?160 it is for both courses and B&B.

We got a discount as we all had AB post codes ... (you just need a utility bill from somebody is Aberdeen).

Honestly, my best golfing experience.

luckyBatistuta

Yourgolftravel - ?160 it is for both courses and B&B.

We got a discount as we all had AB post codes ... (you just need a utility bill from somebody is Aberdeen).

Honestly, my best golfing experience.

Four of us are planning an overnight(or a couple) trip somewhere in Scotland in a couple of months time. You've got me thinking seriously about going there now, that's looks incredible.

That last photo is from the back of the 10th green, 495 yard par 5 and the green is tucked up onto the left .... talking about this today has fairly brought back the amazing memories!!!!

luckyBatistuta

That last photo is from the back of the 10th green, 495 yard par 5 and the green is tucked up onto the left .... talking about this today has fairly brought back the amazing memories!!!!

Looks fantastic, it's actually cheaper than I thought it would be.

Here are a few more of my snaps ... again, iPhone camera and taken in the last weekend of March last year

11083764_10153152699040196_2563619397004

10522581_10153155351840196_4191075931469

11046368_10153152764825196_9796002356420

I tried to post some of my photies of Trump before, but

I messed it up on Tapatalk. No need now because they're virtually the same as yours ha

For anyone tempted by Trump... Bite the bullet if you can and get up there.

It's the best course I've played in this country, and is only "trumped" overall by the stadium course at sawgrass.

Here are a few more of my snaps ... again, iPhone camera and taken in the last weekend of March last year

11083764_10153152699040196_2563619397004

10522581_10153155351840196_4191075931469

11046368_10153152764825196_9796002356420

Crumbs. I want to go there.

They have an open at trump Aberdeen and a scramble, both towards the end of the year, another option of playing it for a much cheaper rate.

Ok, where do I start. I'm not sure who enjoyed it more...the kids playing, or me watching them play. As you said bud, we're hooked already. I'm gutted that we can't go this weekend though, as my boys are away on a trip with their football team. They both really enjoyed themselves and a great bit of experience for them, as they've never been in anything competitive with golf. I told them to just go out and enjoy it and don't worry about winning or losing and they seemed to have a great time and made a couple of friends already. The parents seemed to be a right good bunch too. Thanks again for telling me about this mate and hopefully see you at the next one. Oh, almost forgot...they were in Stenson and Rose.

North Berwick on Sunday???

Finally got myself a rangefinder purchased. Hopefully arrive on Monday.

179 had a 50 quid voucher to use so got a decent deal.

luckyBatistuta

North Berwick on Sunday???

Nope :sad:

My eldest plays for a football team and his matches are clashing with these unfortunately. He really wants to get right in to the golf, but he doesn't want to give up his football. We aren't going to make Swanston next week either and that's where they are members. We should be ok for Gogarburn on the 30th though. I take it that you will be going to North Berwick bud and were you at Kingsfield on Sunday?

hmfc_liam06

Don't think you'll be allowed on our course with that on :lol:

Haha I noticed my error and posted it in the correct thread!

Nope :(

My eldest plays for a football team and his matches are clashing with these unfortunately. He really wants to get right in to the golf, but he doesn't want to give up his football. We aren't going to make Swanston next week either and that's where they are members. We should be ok for Gogarburn on the 30th though. I take it that you will be going to North Berwick bud and were you at Kingsfield on Sunday?

Aye we're there, great wee course but the greens are the fastest of the season!  It's a shortish opener, they use the hotel as a base for the parents and Stevie G tends to be there for the opener.

Kingsfield was excellent, we watched from a distance and let the boy go out with the Pro on his own, he was in the youngest team by a good few years and they still went round in 36.

After Googarburn May has 2 down Haddington way which we will give a miss and concentrate on local club medals until June time.

luckyBatistuta

Aye we're there, great wee course but the greens are the fastest of the season!  It's a shortish opener, they use the hotel as a base for the parents and Stevie G tends to be there for the opener.

Kingsfield was excellent, we watched from a distance and let the boy go out with the Pro on his own, he was in the youngest team by a good few years and they still went round in 36.

After Googarburn May has 2 down Haddington way which we will give a miss and concentrate on local club medals until June time.

Great experience for them getting to go out with the pro, how old is your son?

Wander into American Golf for an hour while car's being serviced.

Walk out with a new waterproof Under Armour sweatshirt, an Under Armour hat, a new 3 wheel push-pull trolley and a 2nd hand set of AP1's, that have been played with for about 5 rounds.

?289 lighter, but felt like I've robbed the place. Chuffed with the clubs to say the least.

?289 seems like a steal for all that gear :thumbsup:

Great experience for them getting to go out with the pro, how old is your son?

He's 9 and absolutely loves it, he's playing in the US Kids Golf European Championships at the end of May.

luckyBatistuta

He's 9 and absolutely loves it, he's playing in the US Kids Golf European Championships at the end of May.

He must be quite good then. I wouldn't stick my boys in that,if I was able too, as it might destroy their confidence, having not played much, or against anyone. I know it's good experience, but they're not ready for anything like that. I'm picking your brains mate when we meet up. :thumbsup:

He must be quite good then. I wouldn't stick my boys in that,if I was able too, as it might destroy their confidence, having not played much, or against anyone. I know it's good experience, but they're not ready for anything like that. I'm picking your brains mate when we meet up. :thumbsup:

Haha I totally get you, 2 years ago I stood at Kingsfield with a boy that had just turned 7 and a guy told me about the SG Foundation, I told him "I don't want him competing, I just want him to have fun"  he done it once and was hooked! His first handicap was 30 when he was 8 off the gents tee's and he's just getting better and better, he tells everybody he wants to play on the PGA Tour.

hmfc_liam06

Wander into American Golf for an hour while car's being serviced.

Walk out with a new waterproof Under Armour sweatshirt, an Under Armour hat, a new 3 wheel push-pull trolley and a 2nd hand set of AP1's, that have been played with for about 5 rounds.

?289 lighter, but felt like I've robbed the place. Chuffed with the clubs to say the least.

714's?

I paid nearly that just for my 714's last December!

luckyBatistuta

Haha I totally get you, 2 years ago I stood at Kingsfield with a boy that had just turned 7 and a guy told me about the SG Foundation, I told him "I don't want him competing, I just want him to have fun"  he done it once and was hooked! His first handicap was 30 when he was 8 off the gents tee's and he's just getting better and better, he tells everybody he wants to play on the PGA Tour.

Fingers crossed

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread