Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Samuel Camazzola

For anyone who's not seen the coaching sessions carried out by Harrington, Poulter, Westwood  and Kaymer this week, enjoy! 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/10/2017 at 05:51, Tommy Brown said:

I tried to enter their open in September,but it's restricted to East Lothian clubs members only.

Uphall & Niddry Castle are having monthly Winter Opens.

That will keep in involved this winter, in all my years, I have virtually played no golf at this time of year.

If anyone of any other opens (pref Links), please post

HI there,

The Glen hold a weekly open stableford during the winter ( Thursday)

www.glengolfclub.co.uk

Cheers.

Samuel Camazzola

Liam, when you visited the Roxburghe this season, where did you stay and is it recommended? Also, where did you play for your additional round(s)? 

Going back next season but arranging to stay down that way this time. 

Cheers in advance. 

10 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Liam, when you visited the Roxburghe this season, where did you stay and is it recommended? Also, where did you play for your additional round(s)? 

Going back next season but arranging to stay down that way this time. 

Cheers in advance. 

The course itself is fantastic, I really enjoyed it.

We stayed in Kelso, The Black Swan. It was like walking through a time warp when we walked in but it was fine, room was ok for £45.

We played Kelso as part of the Bunkered deal, it was a bit...shite tbh. I wouldn't bother playing there. We also played Hirsel, that wasn't a Bunkered deal but it's a really nice course.

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The course itself is fantastic, I really enjoyed it.

We stayed in Kelso, The Black Swan. It was like walking through a time warp when we walked in but it was fine, room was ok for £45.

We played Kelso as part of the Bunkered deal, it was a bit...shite tbh. I wouldn't bother playing there. We also played Hirsel, that wasn't a Bunkered deal but it's a really nice course.

Cheers. 

I'd been recommend Woll and might look into that. It's not too far a drive away. 

Will see what hotels are within the vicinity although a Travelodge would do the trick. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Cheers. 

I'd been recommend Woll and might look into that. It's not too far a drive away. 

Will see what hotels are within the vicinity although a Travelodge would do the trick. 

There's a Travelodge in Berwick.

Never played Woll but heard it's decent.

13 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Have you booked your trip up north yet?

Not yet, we're deliberating over Inverness or Newcastle...it'll only go one way tbh :lol:

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Not yet, we're deliberating over Inverness or Newcastle...it'll only go one way tbh :lol:

If you do book I’d just go with muir of ord bud. Last 3 holes are like a construction site at the moment, no idea what it’ll be like for next year .

Samuel Camazzola
42 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

There's a Travelodge in Berwick.

Never played Woll but heard it's decent.

Will probably look to stay on other direction. Berwick is a 'unique' night out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have we all stopped playing during the winter - no posts for 2 weeks!!!! Oh well, I got cut the other day as we have winter medals, back to how I started the season - 12. Missed winning by 2 shots - which was the 2 shots it cost me for losing a ball in the leaves, just off the fairway and no more :(

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Cyprus Jambo said:

Have we all stopped playing during the winter - no posts for 2 weeks!!!! Oh well, I got cut the other day as we have winter medals, back to how I started the season - 12. Missed winning by 2 shots - which was the 2 shots it cost me for losing a ball in the leaves, just off the fairway and no more :(

Not played for a few weeks. Will likely be links golf for the winter period from now on. 

In Tenerife just now and itching for a game here after seeing the course in the sunshine. 

Disser Pointon
3 hours ago, Cyprus Jambo said:

Not me, I play all year round! Was out at musselburgh yesterday, 18 winter greens and freezing but it keeps the swing going and it's what Saturday mornings are for!

6 hours ago, Cyprus Jambo said:

Just bounce rounds at the local course for me, nothing to write home about.

Will hopefully get a round at a nice links course in before Xmas.

On 26/11/2017 at 14:04, Samuel Camazzola said:

Not played for a few weeks. Will likely be links golf for the winter period from now on. 

In Tenerife just now and itching for a game here after seeing the course in the sunshine. 

If its Adeje you are playing watch our for the cactuses.   If you find any balls in there they are mine.

Great to see Tiger back and scoring well, 2 duffed chips and a pushed drive = penalty shot weren't that bad, wondering if the fused back will maybe hold him together better then ever.

Kilspindie for me tomorrow, luckily been able to play links golf every Saturday for the last 5 weeks, just playing once a week and I can see a difference in my consistency. 

Managed my best round for a while yesterday at Kilspindie.  One missed green and a 3 putt resulted in a double bogey on the front 9, couple of birdies on the back 9 kept it on track.  Nothing spectacular, driving straight, hitting greens and a decent touch with the putter.

Scratch 70 less 9 ??

0E2AF78B-8531-4E51-B8B0-C5B223A7EF4D.jpeg

One shot I've never ever had is the bump and run, it's always a lottery and I only play it if I have to bump under a tree.  So, the last 4 weekends I decided that I would only play 7 irons in to every green unless I had to flick it over something, the difference at the weekend was night and day, rolling it close most times and giving myself a chance.

The bump and run - that's my shot of 2018!

Not looked at a golf club for nearly 3 weeks but back at it in the morning. A cool -3 degrees forecasted at the start will make the frosty course complete guesswork. 

Not a day for thinning irons!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Anyone got any decent Golf and Spa suggestions. For clarity I don't give a flying ..... about the Spa, it's basically an excuse to get another course in and a delicious breakfast in comfort!

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Anyone got any decent Golf and Spa suggestions. For clarity I don't give a flying ..... about the Spa, it's basically an excuse to get another course in and a delicious breakfast in comfort!

Fairmont, St Andrews Bay. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Cheers good shout

After the round, take the short drive up to Kingsbarns for the Cheesy Toastie Shack. You'll not be disappointed! 

16 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Fairmont, St Andrews Bay. 

And play the Torrance.  It's full tee's and greens and you won't pay over £25 for the round.  The breakfast at the hotel is as good as you'll get.

Had a go at the range today to see how much my break from golf had destroyed my swing, pleasantly surprised! Few thins hurt a bit in the freezing conditions ☹️

John mcCartney

i had a gander at the fairmont site last night and couldnt access any of the low cost green fees of last winter..
fees seem to be 50 squid now......had a great one at the torrance last winter

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

i had a gander at the fairmont site last night and couldnt access any of the low cost green fees of last winter..

Just had a brief look at Tee Off Times webpage. Monday is displayed as £30 and next Saturday is £35.

Contact them direct as £25 might be possible if you ask. They usually hand out business cards to visitors with 20% discount codes on them too so just mention you had one but have misplaced it... 

John mcCartney

yeah nice one samuel,hadnt looked at accessing via tee off etc.....altho it be worth calling them if they are doing a deal with those sites/time favoured.
i had a bit bov with that site last year, a time booked at another course made that didnt exist.....

Can’t say I’ve ever had any other bookings via teeofftimes. Although the Fairnont definitely have pushed their winter prices up this year.

Samuel Camazzola
On 16/12/2017 at 19:31, John mcCartney said:

Itison have an offer of £49 for 2 at Fairmont (although small print shows weekend rounds are subject to a £10 supplement pp). I'm sure most places will offer the same deal without having to commit to the voucher. 

Re the Fairmont I'd be phoning the shop and asking what's the best deal they can do, I'd also tell them you played in the Troon Trophy last year and couldn't commit to play again this year (that was the offer of £125 for 5 rounds and you submitted 5 stableford scores, then then offered the £25 a round deal for any further rounds you wanted).

• 2 weeks later...

blew Away the cobwebs around eyemouth in a pairs open today. Played decent but nowhere near good enough I’d guess. Course was playing very long into the stiff breeze but it’s in pretty good nick considering and the greens are a nice pace to putt on for the time of the year. 

Managed to get out today after a 4 week absence, played at a very frosty St Michael’s.

Break looks to have done me good, shot an 84 to sign for a 6 under round.

So it’s the end of 2017, what has been the highlights for everyone this year?

I’ve managed to play some superb courses this year, definite highlights for me are the Kings at Gleneagles, Boat of Garten and my first ever round abroad at Golf del Sur.

Hopefully 2018 is even better, already have a round at Trump International planned.

Disser Pointon
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

So it’s the end of 2017, what has been the highlights for everyone this year?

I’ve managed to play some superb courses this year, definite highlights for me are the Kings at Gleneagles, Boat of Garten and my first ever round abroad at Golf del Sur.

Hopefully 2018 is even better, already have a round at Trump International planned.

You'll enjoy Trump Aberdeen, I'm looking forward to Turnberry this year, haven't played it since the changes and also lucky enough to have another year's membership at Gleneagles which I never tire of. Finished this season strongly, getting back down to 6 so hoping to take that into the new year.

John mcCartney

`looks nice` is surely the understatement of the golfing year !!!  21deg n all sun at this time of the year cant be bad paully !!!!!

im hoping to get over a miniscus strain on me knee very soon as i cant hit a ball properly at the mo,been 3 weeks now and been sore
have rounds at elie and monifieth lined up,hopefully able to schedule later in the week knee permitting .....

looking forward to next season as ive realised my swing getting `in the slot` consistently now, providing the missing link for me....

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread