Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Thanks for the info chaps. We tour at the moment. As many different courses as we can pack in. Currently not a member. Use Golfshake for handicap.

Anything decent down Motherwell way? Might sneak a round before the game in 2 weeks?

Edited by Sir Gio

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the info chaps. We tour at the moment. As many different courses as we can pack in. Currently not a member. Use Golfshake for handicap.

Anything decent down Motherwell way? Might sneak a round before the game in 2 weeks?

Never played it but heard Airdrie is meant to be decent enough.

El Fifero Bandito still leads the way, I see...

I welcome the chase...

Didn't even play over the weekend, likely not to play this weekend either.

I've got to try and get 2 more medal rounds in to at least get my 10, don't think I can get one in this weekend either unless an early tee time becomes available

32 points on Sunday......... with only 15 holes scored on.

I hate golf. :lol:

Why can't I do it over 18. Haha.

Playing mince at opens has done in my challenge for the league.

Should get a few home medals in September A few 32pts to lnock off the board

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Never played it but heard Airdrie is meant to be decent enough.

Airdrie?

Bus got stoned the last time I paid a visit :)

Thats very low for a scramble. They always boil down to which teams hole the most putts and 'dovetails' the best but to have 5+ scores at that number is a bit out of the ordinary.

Samuel Camazzola

49.6 or something, mate text me saying we were 5th, reckon he's swindled my voucher :lol:

When it's that format, I think the exact decimalised individual handicaps should be used as part of the calculation.

Par 67 course. So low scores are the norm. Handicap was 4 combined 10% of that is the handicap.

Edited by Irufushi

Par 67 course. So low scores are the norm. Handicap was 4 combined 10% of that is the handicap.

The winning team had a combined of 4? If so then I'd say 49.6 was possible on a par 67 course. That's 17under so just a birdie on 17 holes but as you said there were Eagle chances. If you've a team good enough to be combined 4, then you have good players, thus 50 - 0.4 (10% 0f 4) = 49.6 definitely possible

The winning team had a combined of 4? If so then I'd say 49.6 was possible on a par 67 course. That's 17under so just a birdie on 17 holes but as you said there were Eagle chances. If you've a team good enough to be combined 4, then you have good players, thus 50 - 0.4 (10% 0f 4) = 49.6 definitely possible

No, no 10% of the 4 handicaps, dunno what the winning teams handicap was. Ours was 3.3

****ing prick was winding us up. We did indeed win. Text me a pick on a voucher :yas:

Thought our score was easily good enough, tough course with long par 3's.

In all seriousness though, whatever your most reliable club is off the tee, use it. It's not a long course but you need a fair bit of accuracy off the tee.

I mostly used my 3 hybrid and kept it in play.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

In all seriousness though, whatever your most reliable club is off the tee, use it. It's not a long course but you need a fair bit of accuracy off the tee.

I mostly used my 3 hybrid and kept it in play.

Cheers, got a reliable 19 degree hybrid so I'll use that :thumbsup:

Cheers, got a reliable 19 degree hybrid so I'll use that :thumbsup:

Wise choice.

I don't get a huge amount of extra length from my 3 wood or driver anyway so was a no-brainer going to the hybrid for me. 

There are a few holes you can open it up with the driver like but playing strategic should help you more than trying to mash the driver.

Don't be a shitebag.

Driver.

:)

:lol: got some bad rights going with the big stick lately, and having looked at the holes online they look tight! Shitebag indeed!!!

has anyone played cardrona recently? What's it like and do you have any tips? I probably play off around 15 at the best of times but I've been having a mare recently. I used to badly slice a lot of my drives but in trying to correct it I'm now bad for having a bad hook occasionally as well. I'm used to playing at Dunbar where apart from the first few holes you can't hit it right so I'm hoping this is slightly more forgiving.

I really should just save up for lessons but always spend my money on something that sounds better at the time.

Edited by neal-jambos

Managed to play medal last night after getting away from work. 34 points not bad considering the conditions and at least it was buffers

Boat of Garten is beautiful, will certainly be back. Reminds me of Forres, with added trees and heather, not as narrow as I expected, either way I played shit. 78 gross, highlight was birdie, birdie on 16/17, finished with a double though.

Duddy greens a bit slow and bobbly today.

Not a patch on last summer when I played the open.

Clearly the affects of a really wet year we're having. Shame that. They're not bad by any stretch of the imagination. Just not same class as last years.

Boat of Garten is beautiful, will certainly be back. Reminds me of Forres, with added trees and heather, not as narrow as I expected, either way I played shit. 78 gross, highlight was birdie, birdie on 16/17, finished with a double though.

Stunning course ain't it?

Played Alloa courtesy of teeofftimes.co.uk today. Not bad at all for ?14. Couple of really nice holes. Greens were mega soft.

The standing ovation from the clubhouse after a wedge in birdie from 60 yards was worth the green fee alone :lol:

Stunning course ain't it?

Played Alloa courtesy of teeofftimes.co.uk today. Not bad at all for ?14. Couple of really nice holes. Greens were mega soft.

The standing ovation from the clubhouse after a wedge in birdie from 60 yards was worth the green fee alone :lol:

Aye, it's really nice, I'd fancy my chances of scoring well now I've got my eye in. Me and my mate may pop back for the greensomes in September.

Aye, it's really nice, I'd fancy my chances of scoring well now I've got my eye in. Me and my mate may pop back for the greensomes in September.

Aye, very much a course knowledge is key kinda place.

Aye, very much a course knowledge is key kinda place.

Think I missed one fairway all day on the 6th?? Dog leg, left to right, should suit me and I hooked it into the forest and finished with a 7. Pish :lol: played the par 3's -1.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Montrose fast and firm. North East Riviera?

Tough enough for a poor player like myself but surprised its a Europro course and Open Qualifying. Classic Links though if that's your bag. Good driving course

Another bizarre, inconsistent round from me today.

Front 9, flawless driving - every one down the middle with a slight draw, 250 yard +. Short irons sloppy AF, putting chronic (23 putts). 42.

Back 9, suddenly my drives go to shit, only hit one fairway. Pitching suddenly clicks in to place, putting greatly improves (15 putts). 41.

It was like 2 different golfers playing 9 holes each, switched exactly on the turn. 

This game man. :lol:

William H. Bonney

Front 9, flawless driving - every one down the middle with a slight draw, 250 yard +. Short irons sloppy AF, putting chronic (23 putts). 42.

Back 9, suddenly my drives go to shit, only hit one fairway. Pitching suddenly clicks in to place, putting greatly improves (15 putts). 41.

It was like 2 different golfers playing 9 holes each, switched exactly on the turn.

Yep. I hate and love golf in equal measures.

Sums up my year to be honest. I've had very little rounds this year where it's come together like I know it can.

Same here. Patchy. Custard pie right in the pus around every corner. Nothing really completed without some kind of blemish / **** up / armageddon.

My best (potential) round of the season was pied by diabolical luck. The rest is down to slack play.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

If only it all clicked at the same time. But what if it all went wrong at the same time?

A wondrous game so many skills and elements before we reach conditions

If only it all clicked at the same time. But what if it all went wrong at the same time?

A wondrous game so many skills and elements before we reach conditions

It doesn't all go wrong for you at the same time?? :lol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It doesn't all go wrong for you at the same time?? :lol:

Once this year. I actually enjoy not playing well and scrambling more than playing well and not scoring, that devastates me! I am a high handicapper so my expectations are suitably low :)

Just heading off to Cardrona...2 rounds of golf and bed and breakfast for ?59. Anyone know what the course is like, never played it.

Your boys been playing the SG events???

luckyBatistuta

Your boys been playing the SG events???

Yeah mate, think I love it more than them :lol:

Youngest needs to stop watching the wildlife and thinking about his golf :lol:

Eldest is getting there. It's his putting that's letting him down, 3 putts most of the time :sad:

Both still young though and they'll get there, just as long as they're enjoying it though, that's the main thing.

Disser Pointon

Outing at Duddingston tomorrow, medal at Musselburgh Sunday, Royal Musselburgh next Friday, Dukes on the Saturday, Gleneagles on the Wednesday then Alyth Open on the Saturday..............................unfortunately I can't use lack of play for my shit golf this season!!!!!!!

Outing at Duddingston tomorrow, medal at Musselburgh Sunday, Royal Musselburgh next Friday, Dukes on the Saturday, Gleneagles on the Wednesday then Alyth Open on the Saturday..............................unfortunately I can't use lack of play for my shit golf this season!!!!!!!

I'm off all of next week and hoping the weather is kind...

Sat & Sun - Hirsel

Mon - Kelso & Roxburghe

Tues - Lochgelly tuesday comp (home club)

Wed - Leven

Thurs - Lochgelly thurs comp

Fri - Crail

Sat - North Inch

Sun - Lundin

I'll either be bang on form or utterly dross by Sunday, I'll lean towards the latter.

You'll be knackered by Wednesday.

8 days of golf? :lol:

To be honest I'm not overly fussy for the rounds at the home club, others are just bounce rounds (mostly free) other than North Inch which is their open.

Still, 6 out of 8's hard going. Would be for me currently mind you, given my feet are a mess and I'm waiting for the doctor to fix them.

18 holes on a Parkland course, took it out of me the other day. 15th hole and I could've finished right there. :(

They hilly courses you're playing?

Lundin, Crail & Leven are links. Kelso is pretty short but the Roxburghe is a bit of a beast (though we'll be getting buggies).

North Inch is short and flat, no idea about Hirsel, short but dunno if it's hilly or not.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread