Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

Okay cheers. It's either that or no round Sunday. As long as the greens are okay I forgive a lot of other sins :)

Always go with the round!

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Always go with the round!

Can't be worse than the Aberdeen council courses. Mind you Longside were the worst greens I have ever seen. Shame decent folks

hmfc_liam06

Can't be worse than the Aberdeen council courses. Mind you Longside were the worst greens I have ever seen. Shame decent folks

If it's specifically Perth then King James is a better option.

neal-jambos

Is there anywhere in Edinburgh that people would recommend for lessons? I played a lot as a junior and was a member at Dunbar until I went to uni. Played a bit at uni but want to get back playing properly now.

Played for the first time this year last night (had a shoulder op in march) and was getting so frustrated. One birdie, three pars but a whole lot of 7s and 8s around dunbar. Just couldn't hit my irons consistently. Too many slices into the sea on the back 9.

Is there anywhere in Edinburgh that people would recommend for lessons? I played a lot as a junior and was a member at Dunbar until I went to uni. Played a bit at uni but want to get back playing properly now.

Played for the first time this year last night (had a shoulder op in march) and was getting so frustrated. One birdie, three pars but a whole lot of 7s and 8s around dunbar. Just couldn't hit my irons consistently. Too many slices into the sea on the back 9.

I have had a few lessons with Ross at Kings Acre. He's got me hitting the ball more consistently and working on a few other things too. The facilities at kings acre are great and last but not least he's a good Hearts man.

Cheers

At last I got a medal in at the weekend - 34 stableford points - 42/42/84 less 10, 17 & 17 points.  Could've been soooo much better.

Outing to Drumoig this Saturday.

6,956 yard course...in gusts of up to 40mph.

:sob:

Dull yin. Anything above 20mph winds becomes a complete farce. 

hmfc_liam06

Dull yin. Anything above 20mph winds becomes a complete farce. 

Played a few proper windy rounds. Remember playing Tulliallan the weekend of the Open at St Andrews where play was suspended due to wind. Wasn't too bad there as it was well protected but Drumoig is pretty much treeless.

Played a few rounds on links in around 35mph winds, that was hard going.

I'd rather it rained.

Yip, I'd take rain over the wind any day.

Into the wind/downwind I can live with, crosswinds though.... Hideous.

hmfc_liam06

Yip, I'd take rain over the wind any day.

Into the wind/downwind I can live with, crosswinds though.... Hideous.

No doubt cross winds at this section...

e6bb7535d7311fb329cc34db7dfe74bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmfc_liam06

5 iron punch from the tee.180 yards...leaves what, 220 max if it's 400 yards. Take your putter from the fairway, keep it under the wind. Skelp it, and it'll run about 100 yards.

Two putts on the green...take a 5 nett par...stroll off like a boss.

Save you about 4 shots. :thumbsup:

Just shy of 400.

And I'm double stroking on that hole, 5 net 3 :thumbsup:

Benefits of being shite :lol:

Another 36 points for me today, becoming a common theme this season, although this time it was with a lost ball, still waiting actually shooting a score this year

Samuel Camazzola

Got a game at Longniddry this week for the first time in a couple of years. Cracking weather with little wind which meant the course played pretty short - it's not the longest.

The greens were surprisingly slow for being hard and dry. For those who've played it, I was surprised to see they have done away with the tiered green on the 5th. The lower level has gone and it's now an elevated green guarded by bunkers.

We encountered quite a bit of arsehole behaviour from members. Teed off with nobody in sight ahead and nobody behind until we were on 3rd. Got to 4th Green only for a dick to cut in and tee off on 5th. Finished 10th only to see more arseholes hovering at 6th green and looking to cut in to 11th.

Got to 11th to see someone else cut in. No acknowledgement from any of them but the got a tee shot fired their way to let them know.

Sten may be able to advise if this is common behaviour. They were older guys so I know it wasn't him before others chip in! :))

Got a game at Longniddry this week for the first time in a couple of years. Cracking weather with little wind which meant the course played pretty short - it's not the longest.

The greens were surprisingly slow for being hard and dry. For those who've played it, I was surprised to see they have done away with the tiered green on the 5th. The lower level has gone and it's now an elevated green guarded by bunkers.

We encountered quite a bit of arsehole behaviour from members. Teed off with nobody in sight ahead and nobody behind until we were on 3rd. Got to 4th Green only for a dick to cut in and tee off on 5th. Finished 10th only to see more arseholes hovering at 6th green and looking to cut in to 11th.

Got to 11th to see someone else cut in. No acknowledgement from any of them but the got a tee shot fired their way to let them know.

Sten may be able to advise if this is common behaviour. They were older guys so I know it wasn't him before others chip in! :))

Greens have been slow recently due to the excessive rain. Think that's the reason anyway?! They were absolutely lightning during that dry May anyway.

I've seen plenty folk cut from 6 to 11. Missing out the bottom field of 7,8,9,10. But never had an issue with being held up because of it. Generally always the old guys.

Someone cutting in at the 5th, that is pretty bad patter though! Haven't heard of that before......

Think the 5th was redesigned because the green had serious drainage issues. Seemingly this new design has fixed that.

You enjoy your round despite that? I'm playing Friday & Saturday. To be windy. Hopefully no rain!

Edited by Sten Guns

Samuel Camazzola

Greens have been slow recently due to the excessive rain. Think that's the reason anyway?! They were absolutely lightning during that dry May anyway.

I've seen plenty folk cut from 6 to 11. Missing out the bottom field of 7,8,9,10. But never had an issue with being held up because of it. Generally always the old guys.

Someone cutting in at the 5th, that is pretty bad patter though! Haven't heard of that before......

Think the 5th was redesigned because the green had serious drainage issues. Seemingly this new design has fixed that.

You enjoy your round despite that? I'm playing Friday & Saturday. To be windy. Hopefully no rain!

Yeah, it was enjoyable but strange playing it without any real wind. Always been used to having to batter an approach shot into and under the wind but could fly everything high.

I'll need to play 5th differently next time as would have more of an advantage being further back for the approach shot. Possibly a 4/5 iron to shot to leave an aggressive short iron in.

I'm unsure if my GPS gave me a correct yardage from the 14th tee. Put my tee shot in the stream with a hybrid despite intending to play conservatively.

Have they enhanced the practice area in the last couple of years? Can't recall seeing it like that before.

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

Yeah, it was enjoyable but strange playing it without any real wind. Always been used to having to batter an approach shot into and under the wind but could fly everything high.

I'll need to play 5th differently next time as would have more of an advantage being further back for the approach shot. Possibly a 4/5 iron to shot to leave an aggressive short iron in.

I'm unsure if my GPS gave me a correct yardage from the 14th tee. Put my tee shot in the stream with a hybrid despite intending to play conservatively.

Have they enhanced the practice area in the last couple of years? Can't recall seeing it like that before.

I always take 4 iron off 5 now. Definitely find it a better strategy.

14 is a funny one. Sometimes with that elevated tee, a strong hybrid struck well, can get damn close to the burn. Seems to run a lot and even if there's a little wind it's generally down wind. Never a real issue off the white tees, but can be off yellows.

The young guy who won our Scratch open shooting 63 pulled out his driver and flew the burn. I'm neither consistent enough or brave enough for that. Haha.

Samuel Camazzola

For anyone looking for tips or drills to help sharpen your putting, chipping and pitching, have a look at Phil Mickelson's Secrets of The Short Game on YouTube. Some great tuition on there. Simple little adjustments to ball positioning and shift of body weight can provide huge improvements and consistency.

For anyone looking for tips or drills to help sharpen your putting, chipping and pitching, have a look at Phil Mickelson's Secrets of The Short Game on YouTube. Some great tuition on there. Simple little adjustments to ball positioning and shift of body weight can provide huge improvements and consistency.

I'm going to have a look later. My chipping from greenside out of rough or if the ball is sitting down in the grass is harrowing. Fine off the short stuff or out of an inviting lie.

Samuel Camazzola

I'm going to have a look later. My chipping from greenside out of rough or if the ball is sitting down in the grass is harrowing. Fine off the short stuff or out of an inviting lie.

He covers that and how to transfer your weight to avoid thinning it or swishing under the grass and going nowhere.

Watching this now, looks very useful and exactly what I need to work on. Cheers.

hmfc_liam06

Cheers for the info earlier. Got a deal at the lesser Murrayshall. Played Drumoig. Tough. Elevated greens tight fairways and it's own Amen Corner. Nice though

Cracking courses at Murrayshall, both with their own unique challenges.

Question for you, are you a generally fit individual? :lol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Cracking courses at Murrayshall, both with their own unique challenges.

Question for you, are you a generally fit individual? :lol:

I believe I will encounter some slopes :)

hmfc_liam06

I believe I will encounter some slopes :)

You will indeed haha!

You'll either love it or hate it. I love it by the way! First is a cracking hole, the approach is very daunting.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Medal on each of the next 3 weekends. Then a mid season lull until August for another 5 or so. Having a wee golfing trip for a week coming up soon. Blairgowrie and Montrose and a couple up near to Ullapool. Weather could be better.

Medal on each of the next 3 weekends. Then a mid season lull until August for another 5 or so. Having a wee golfing trip for a week coming up soon. Blairgowrie and Montrose and a couple up near to Ullapool. Weather could be better.

My best mate is the Ullapool greenkeeper,( only been there a few years and has transformed the place), he'll have it in great order, worth playing, 9 holes and 18 tee's.

My best mate is the Ullapool greenkeeper,( only been there a few years and has transformed the place), he'll have it in great order, worth playing, 9 holes and 18 tee's.

Cheers. Not sure where I'm going yet in that area but I'll check it out. I fancy the idea of playing that type of course.

Cheers. Not sure where I'm going yet in that area but I'll check it out. I fancy the idea of playing that type of course.

No worries, if you need any advice just ask.

73-1 in the Eyemouth open today. Was going really well in pretty breezy conditions but doubled 17.

36 pts for the league

33 stableford points at Wishaw last night, quite impressed with the course, some really good holes and the par 3's were a real test!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

You will indeed haha!

You'll either love it or hate it. I love it by the way! First is a cracking hole, the approach is very daunting.

We enjoy variety :) Not a long hitter so being short is to my liking. Playing in Aberdeenshire hills are normal. Hoping that the wind stays down to a strong breeze

hmfc_liam06

Played our outing at a Drumoig today, the wind made it a bit of a bloodbath!

Got round in 33 points and early scooped top prize!

Can't remember who it is that's playing it soon but it's in phenomenal condition, best greens I've played this year.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Played our outing at a Drumoig today, the wind made it a bit of a bloodbath!

Got round in 33 points and early scooped top prize!

Can't remember who it is that's playing it soon but it's in phenomenal condition, best greens I've played this year.

Good going. I played it in similar weather. Years ago now but not changed much from what I gather. Spectacular round the turn

hmfc_liam06

Good going. I played it in similar weather. Years ago now but not changed much from what I gather. Spectacular round the turn

It was that section that meant I didn't hit handicap 0/3/0 points from the 3 holes.

1St scratch despite making an arse of it. Got the best of the weather being first off I think. New driver fund started!

Wind was mental yesterday. Stableford medal.

Standard Scratch went to 30 points.

I managed 33. So cut 0.6. :)

Happy but frustrated as I was 32 after 16 holes.

Finished 6,6. Last two holes are long and square in to the wind. Kinda shat it knowing I was in with a chance of winning. 34 was still leading late afternoon. Ah well. Least I was cut.

1St scratch despite making an arse of it. Got the best of the weather being first off I think. New driver fund started!

What driver you after?

What driver you after?

Not really thought about it that much to be honest. 917 is the obvious answer but I'll try not to be biased towards a brand when I get fitted again.

Not in any great rush, my 915 is still going strong, it's just the next thing in the bag needing updated.

Not really thought about it that much to be honest. 917 is the obvious answer but I'll try not to be biased towards a brand when I get fitted again.

Not in any great rush, my 915 is still going strong, it's just the next thing in the bag needing updated.

Wise words.

Fitting so important.

I'm in a similar position with my 915, but I've booked an appointment with Scott Gourlay for a driver fitting on Thursday.

Willing to try anything as long as it works, not really a fan of the look of the Taylormade with the black and white, plus there's green on the Callaway Epic, will see what we end up with, will take whatever produces the best results

That's the most solid I've hit the ball all year. Putted very safely too. Narrowly missed a few and bagged a couple. Holing out was solid again.

Now.. the game of golf is and always will be the school of hard knocks. After overhanging the hole at 17, I've slayed a drive down 18 that looked like it was on the green and putting for eagle. I get up there and it's found the extreme edge of the greenside bunker and it's right up the face and dead. A bogey 5. Take that right up the farter says lady luck. Still numb.

37 points for the league. I'm sweating on the CSS to see if I've got -0.2. Otherwise it's nothing but a dull yin.

I'm in a similar position with my 915, but I've booked an appointment with Scott Gourlay for a driver fitting on Thursday.

Willing to try anything as long as it works, not really a fan of the look of the Taylormade with the black and white, plus there's green on the Callaway Epic, will see what we end up with, will take whatever produces the best results

Let us know how he fitting goes mate.

A friend of mine was surprised to find he needed 12 degrees of loft on his driver after being fitted by Scott.

He'd always tried to play 8.5/9.5.

Interesting stuff.

Samuel Camazzola

A friend of mine was surprised to find he needed 12 degrees of loft on his driver after being fitted by Scott.

Interesting stuff.

There seems to be a trend with the modern drivers where more folk have been fitted to higher lofts. Some professionals are 10 degrees and above now.

About five years ago, Bubba Watson was 7/7.5 loft. Would be interesting to see if that's changed.

Interesting stuff.

Will do, currently use a 9.5 915, which is probably the most loft I've played on a driver for years, so will be interesting to see what I end up with

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread