Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

JKB management has kindly agreed to a golf sticky for all matters pertaining to the great British (and abroad) golfing year. Whether it be great courses played and to be played, matches won and lost, competition rounds, clubs and equipment chat, tales from the 19th holes of the world, or whatever.

Mightily looking forward to a shplendid gowfing year and let's hope the weather is kind.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had my second hole in 1 at the weekend there.

A lovely 4 iron into a strong wind. 16th hole, Number 1 at Gullane and 186 yards

I called the shot, a lot cut into the wind and run it up the green and watched it roll into the hole.

Bottle of whisky on the bar for all to enjoy. .

SWEET

JKB management has kindly agreed to a golf sticky for all matters pertaining to the great British (and abroad) golfing year. Whether it be great courses played and to be played, matches won and lost, competition rounds, clubs and equipment chat, tales from the 19th holes of the world, or whatever.

Mightily looking forward to a shplendid gowfing year and let's hope the weather is kind.

Good news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8026668.stm

Off to the isle of white next week for my annual golfing jaunt,hopefully some good golf and plenty beer.

Guest jambomickey

A lovely 4 iron into a strong wind. 16th hole, Number 1 at Gullane and 186 yards

I called the shot, a lot cut into the wind and run it up the green and watched it roll into the hole.

SWEET

played gullane a couple of weeks ago!

Midloth_Iain

Supposed to be playing at Liberton on Sunday (challeng match, Hearts v Hobo's) but trapped my thumb in the car door this morning (****in agony).

Its on ice as I type :10800:

SWEET

well done. at the weekend you say? what is this... thursday? and now you mention the bottle on the bar.

meh.

never played gullane 1 but took a trip down to play gullane 3 at about this time last year (maybe a few weeks earlier). it's great to get away from the edinburgh mud heaps and on to quality fairways and lightning greens.

Ray Winstone

I have been hitting the ball sweet as nut at the range over the winter.

Looking forward to a few rounds on Royal Aberdeen before I head home for the summer.

jack D and coke

Anybody ever been to South Carolina for golf? We normally go a golf trip every year but we've missed this year due to a few of the boys getting married and stuff so we're thinking about pushing the boat out next year and going over there.

Done Portugal, Costa Del Sol, Florida and considered Belek but i've only heard good things about SC. Really want to go there, any KB'ers been?

Anyone able to give me tips on chipping?

I can hit the ball well off the tee, and my irons seem to have improved oveer the winter break for some unknown reason. As soon as I get within 50 yards of the hole though, I can't do anything right. Exact same swing will 1 time catch it full and it will sail over the back, the next time it will fluff it a few yards.

Went round 21 over for my first round (although its a fairly easy course), which is decent for me, so if I could learn to chip I could actually put together a good score

I can hit the ball well off the tee, and my irons seem to have improved oveer the winter break for some unknown reason. As soon as I get within 50 yards of the hole though, I can't do anything right. Exact same swing will 1 time catch it full and it will sail over the back, the next time it will fluff it a few yards.

Went round 21 over for my first round (although its a fairly easy course), which is decent for me, so if I could learn to chip I could actually put together a good score

for anything about 50-70 yards, if you have little feel for the distance to hit the ball, you would probably benefit from a very lofted lob wedge. you will be able to play these shots as full shots and get more consistent distance control.

for under 50 yards you need feel for the shot. just keep practicing playing little pitch and runs and the feel will come. a help would also be to keep your hands ahead of the shot. always 'lay off' the club through the shot, this should ensure you don't belt it through the back.

for anything about 50-70 yards, if you have little feel for the distance to hit the ball, you would probably benefit from a very lofted lob wedge. you will be able to play these shots as full shots and get more consistent distance control.

for under 50 yards you need feel for the shot. just keep practicing playing little pitch and runs and the feel will come. a help would also be to keep your hands ahead of the shot. always 'lay off' the club through the shot, this should ensure you don't belt it through the back.

Cheers for the tips. I might be playing again tomorrow so I'll give it a bash!

If it fails though, I'll hunt you down :gun_bandana::P

Carl Spackler

When I'm struggling with chipping like that I try to make sure I confidently accelerate through the ball (with a shortened swing obviously). I find it's "decelerating" through the shot that causes a fluff and concentrating on being positive with the shot sorts it out.

For me the same can be said for putting and bunker shots.

Midloth_Iain

All about getting the feel for the shot, practice, keeping your eye on the ball, practice and more practice.

I have similar problems. I know what I am doing wrong, I just cant seem to rectify it !!

Cheers for the tips. I might be playing again tomorrow so I'll give it a bash!

If it fails though, I'll hunt you down :gun_bandana::P

i stand to be hunted. :)

just practice though. you'll find your own preferred way of playing all the shots through repetition and confidence.

Carl Spackler

Meh. Yanks golf:tongue:

I don't disagree it's a good fix but it's not proper golf.

Ive got a terrible hook just now when I am driving. Probably just because I was trying to hammer it quite a bit. It was my first round of the year though, but I probably hooked most of my drives and hit about three or four straight with decent distance. A trip to the driving range is needed before my next round I think.

Miller Jambo 60

Sometimes prefer the pitch and run with a 7 iron , than flicking it up with a pitching wedge

Lots of fixes, depends on the problem.. Could be a too steep angle of attack, this leads to Thinning it, or hitting the ground just before the ball and fluffing it..

Try not breaking your wrists and keeping the clubhead low in the take-back and this will reduce the angle of attack.

Also, think about the where the weight is in your stance... A huge HUGE HUGE difference can be made in your short chips by mixing it up a little. Try the weight in your right foot, then your left then try it 50.50... See what happens.. you get very different shots..

Also - Ball placement, forward in your stance (you have to have an open stance for this) .. or back in the stance.. Again this will produce different shots....

Practice with these and see what happens, it should help out.

jack D and coke
When I'm struggling with chipping like that I try to make sure I confidently accelerate through the ball (with a shortened swing obviously). I find it's "decelerating" through the shot that causes a fluff and concentrating on being positive with the shot sorts it out.

For me the same can be said for putting and bunker shots.

Thats what sorted a lot of my approach shots too. Sound advice there.

Grip slightly further down the shaft also for more control.

Say What Again
Dexter has kindly agreed to a golf sticky for all matters pertaining to the great British (and abroad) golfing year.

Dexter wants to hurry hisel up and get the pi.sh sticked as promised then! :yawn::sleeping:

PS do I have to wear dress trousers and a collared shirt to be allowed access to your thread? :euro:

:teu26:

Meh. Yanks golf:tongue:

I don't disagree it's a good fix but it's not proper golf.

arf. i know what you mean though. a much more satisfying thing to feel the shot out rather than clobber a lob wedge. mind you if you play a pro-v ball you don't half get some 'sook' playing these shots. that's satisfying too.

Sometimes prefer the pitch and run with a 7 iron , than flicking it up with a pitching wedge

i can just picture the dougstar brandishing a 7 iron around the course.

i'm sure i heard a shout of MA HA the other day. who needs FORE when you have MA HA?

Dexter wants to hurry hisel up and get the pi.sh sticked as promised then! :yawn::sleeping:

PS do I have to wear dress trousers and a collared shirt to be allowed access to your thread? :euro:

:teu26:

golfist post IMO. the only thing worse than a golf hater is an ex-smoker.

:D

Carl Spackler
arf. i know what you mean though. a much more satisfying thing to feel the shot out rather than clobber a lob wedge. mind you if you play a pro-v ball you don't half get some 'sook' playing these shots. that's satisfying too.

I'm such a traditionalist I use a gutty percha and hickory shafted clubs............do If^%k! I'm all over any help Mr Titleist can give me too.

alwaysthereinspirit

Played my first round of the new season about three weeks ago.

First hole par 4, second shot to 6 feet. My neighbour (first time with us) holes his second for eagle. Last time he gets invited. I even picked him up and bought him a coffee.

SWEET

Got a hole in one a couple of years ago under the worst possible circumstances. Out practicing on my own so nobody around to see and blinded green (14th hole at Auchterarder) - didn't even see it go in the hole and didn't have anyone to back me up :50:

Going out to Pennsylvania to teach kids golf this summer so should get a fair bit in myself too. Bring on June!!

oh ah grantona

slide hands further down club towards lower end of grip works for me

slide hands further down club towards lower end of grip works for me

Great tip... Works amazing into the wind

If your having a mare inside 50yds you could also try laying up to say a full PW or 9 iron even.

The Old Tolbooth

I play but not very often, but my first game is at Perth next Wednesday, never played it so don't know what to expect.

If your having a mare inside 50yds you could also try laying up to say a full PW or 9 iron even.

steady on tiger!!! you're advocating the kind of distance control and course management which should be reserved for pros and possibly cat1 players. the chap asking for the tip has stated he's in the 20 handicap bracket. you can't possibly play for that kind of accuracy at that level. i'm well into single figures myself and i would not attempt that kind of game.

i don't necessarily like to disagree with your point but that's not the right thing for the chap.

I play but not very often, but my first game is at Perth next Wednesday, never played it so don't know what to expect.

king james VI. the one on the island in the tay?

if yes then it's a nice wee flat track. good chance of a low score.

steady on tiger!!! you're advocating the kind of distance control and course management which should be reserved for pros and possibly cat1 players. the chap asking for the tip has stated he's in the 20 handicap bracket. you can't possibly play for that kind of accuracy at that level. i'm well into single figures myself and i would not attempt that kind of game.

i don't necessarily like to disagree with your point but that's not the right thing for the chap.

True to a point i suppose,but perhaps instead of taking driver from from the tee he could hit a 3 wood or even long iron,would keep it in play more often plus leave him fuller shots to the green.

True to a point i suppose,but perhaps instead of taking driver from from the tee he could hit a 3 wood or even long iron,would keep it in play more often plus leave him fuller shots to the green.

i agree completely with the theory but it's not for that level of golf. a golfer in the 20 handicap bracket can't guarantee the consistency of striking to credibly leave himself in the correct area of the fairway to do it. i would say the lowest level of golfer who could consistently play that kind of game would be low-end cat1 players (3 handicap or better).

long irons are even worse. a 'wood' is miles easier to hit off a tee peg than an iron for a handicap golfer.

the game is difficult enough as it is. the simpler it's kept until the guy improves to a certain level the better.

The Old Tolbooth
king james VI. the one on the island in the tay?

if yes then it's a nice wee flat track. good chance of a low score.

I think that's the one mate, and as for the low score, you ain't seen me playing yet :wacko:

Thanks for all the tips guys. Will mess around with it tomorrow and see what works.

I already use a 3 wood off the tee as I can't control the driver. My 3 wood off the tee is the main attribute of my game, as I can hit it well and fairly accurately. It normally leaves me with a good distanced shot to the green, but the problem arrives if I misjudge distance/push or pull it.

Par 3s are probably my biggest problem. They take out my big hitting advantage, and since I rarely land it on the green in 1, bring chipping into it a bit too much for my liking. My front 9 the other day was 13 over par, and 7 of those was on 2 par 3s :eek:

I think that's the one mate, and as for the low score, you ain't seen me playing yet :wacko:

if it's that one then i played it once years ago. totally hared doon all the way round so couldn't enjoy it. unless it's changed in some way i think the only access to the place is via a footpath alongside a railway, other than a causeway over the river (only when the river level is low).

after all this you will no doubt be going to some other course entirely. all the best anyhow.

i agree completely with the theory but it's not for that level of golf. a golfer in the 20 handicap bracket can't guarantee the consistency of striking to credibly leave himself in the correct area of the fairway to do it. i would say the lowest level of golfer who could consistently play that kind of game would be low-end cat1 players (3 handicap or better).

long irons are even worse. a 'wood' is miles easier to hit off a tee peg than an iron for a handicap golfer.

the game is difficult enough as it is. the simpler it's kept until the guy improves to a certain level the better.

I now play a 3 iron off the tee most of the time. 'Saving' The driver for the really long holes.

Made a huge difference to my game.. But I do play off 5.5

I P Knightley
Good news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8026668.stm

Off to the isle of white next week for my annual golfing jaunt,hopefully some good golf and plenty beer.

I've only played one course on the Isle of Wight - Freshwater Bay. Cracking course but exposed to the elements.

Having been given redundancy, I'm hoping that I'll find a new employer soon who'll sign me up but not need me to start until October. Been stuck around 17-18 handicap for too long, I've got a good enough game when it clicks to get down to 12 easily, just need the practice.

Today was my 4th shift in 2 weeks putting in hour or so on the practice ground and I've squeezed in a few holes between. A few more weeks and I'll be dangerous.

Added bonus today in that there was a lovely new lady member on the practice ground. Definitely a yummy mummy and she's planning on spending a lot of time on the practice ground.

Don't know about a hole-in-one but I'd hope there's a chance of some hole ;)

Last year I was aiming for at the most, under 100 every round. I've played 4 times in the last 10 days. Over the winter I seem to have improved some how!

My first game this year I scored 100, after 58 on the front 9!! I then played about 14 holes and seemed to play better as I got 50 on the front 9. Then I played last friday and scored 45's in and out for a solid 90!

Then on tuesday afternoon I played 14 holes again, this time at the Braids for the first time. Started of with 4,4,3,4 level par after 4 holes, the best start Ive made. I then made a 8,7 and a 6 but managed to pull out another 2 4's for a 44! Considering it was the first time Ive played the course I was pretty happy and the 8 and 7 were definately avoidable!

The Old Tolbooth
if it's that one then i played it once years ago. totally hared doon all the way round so couldn't enjoy it. unless it's changed in some way i think the only access to the place is via a footpath alongside a railway, other than a causeway over the river (only when the river level is low).

after all this you will no doubt be going to some other course entirely. all the best anyhow.

The fact there's water beside it worries me greatly!

I should stock up on balls methinks

Guest GhostHunter

Stickied now Mr Love-you-Long-Time :D

For the record, JKB Admin also play gowf - I got myself a set of (stiff !) shafted blades at the tail end of last year, as well as a Big Bertha like driver (I'm getting old now)...

Haven't read the whole thread, but I reckon it's time to try and organise a proper JKB golfing day somewhere we can all get to.

Midloth_Iain
Stickied now Mr Love-you-Long-Time :D

For the record, JKB Admin also play gowf - I got myself a set of (stiff !) shafted blades at the tail end of last year, as well as a Big Bertha like driver (I'm getting old now)...

Haven't read the whole thread, but I reckon it's time to try and organise a proper JKB golfing day somewhere we can all get to.

Agreed

Could everyone who wants to play in a KB Golf outing please e-mail the offishul kickback golf outing e-mail address here thanks;

[email protected]

I have a contact list of about 40 people already and I'll add everyone else and we can get the ball rolling..

We have played at Dalmahoy (small course) and 3 times now at Craigmiller Park. Lots of suggestions have been made about were to play and I think we are all open to new courses.

I guess it would be best in town, and at the weekend for drinking purposes. However it gets expensive on a Sunday to play sometimes.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread