Rome

Norm

I'm currently in Rome with the missus and was wondering if any JKBers had suggestions for things to see. We did the Coloseum and the Roman Forum yesterday and we're at Ostia Antica today. We have one more day to do and the obvious choice is going to see Frankie and his mates at the Vatican but wondered if there was anything else JKBers would suggest? The Vatican is quite pricey and the missus has been before so was hoping that there might be something else that's worth seeing. 

Over to you Kickback... 

I'm guessing you've done the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain.  Have you visited one of the catacombs?  I didn't find out about them till afterwards and if going back would be something I'd like to see.

For me, the Vatican was the best thing to visit in Rome,  Worth every penny.

The best steak I have ever had was in a restaurant called Bucatino in Via Lucca della Robbia.  Pyramides Metro stop for this place.

Edited by Morgan

It depends how much you like walking. If you go off the beaten track in Rome then you can come across some absolutely gorgeous architecture and sights. Just wander up and down some of the hills.

A stroll down the via del Corso ? Top bursd spotting , maybe something for the missus too ?

There's one or two monuments along the way although nowt spectacular. At the northern end of it is the piazza del popolo and there a couple of old churches and a Cleopatra needle type thing. 

If you haven't been to piazza navona you must go. Check Google images- it is absolutely stunning IMO. 

The Pantheon, Torre de Argentina (where Julius Caesar was murdered), Vittorio Emanuele monument (big white marble thing at the top of the forum).

Did you do the Palatine Hill?  It used to be included in the Colosseum ticket.

Ostia is brill a real hidden gem imo.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really wanted to see the Vatican and it's near the Trevi, Pantheon and the Argentina thing so looks like we're going there. The missus wasn't totally against the idea so it seems a definite. 

And as Jimbo said, Ostia is outstanding and I'd recommend that to anyone going to Rome. 

4 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I really wanted to see the Vatican and it's near the Trevi, Pantheon and the Argentina thing so looks like we're going there. The missus wasn't totally against the idea so it seems a definite. 

And as Jimbo said, Ostia is outstanding and I'd recommend that to anyone going to Rome. 

Yip, few people travel outside of Rome centre and Ostia is a 20 minute train ride from the Piramide station.

Did you go upstairs from the underground to see the Pyramid of Cestius?

Ostia is second only to Pompeii in it's level of preservation, stunning place, been twice now.

By the way the Vatican as in St. Peter's Basilica is free, it's only the Vatican Museums which cost to enter.

One other place worth a visit and it's right down the road from the Vatican is the Castel St. Angelo, it featured in Angels & Demons as the place where the priests were kept captive and has the walkway between it and the Vatican (not open to the public except by special permission), it was orginally the Mausoleum of Hadrian, the same guy who built the wall in the North of England.

I'd recommend the Vatican and climbing the steps inside the basilica. Amazing views.

It's not really near the Trevi though, it's a good 30-40 minute walk. 

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

PS don't bother with the Spanish steps. 

You can't go to Rome and at least not see them.

Just now, Barack said:

Don't eat on them though. Tourist Police about 2 seconds away, from batoning folk's ice-cream out of their hands. Quite right. Ignorance, is no excuse.

Hotdogs in the Coloseum, Candy-Floss in The Forum? What's next!

Loved Rome. Would go back tomorrow.

Yup. An amazing city. You can just breathe in the history.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Don't eat on them though. Tourist Police about 2 seconds away, from batoning folk's ice-cream out of their hands. Quite right. Ignorance, is no excuse.

Hotdogs in the Coloseum, Candy-Floss in The Forum? What's next!

Loved Rome. Would go back tomorrow. 

And don't dare sit down on the steps at the Vittorio Emanuele Monument or you'd get chased by a big Italian woman with a whistle who'd blow the whistle and shout something probably not very pleasant in Italian at you.

Spanish Steps did nothing for me, in saying that good views from the top though.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Pizza slices in the deli's, & extra strength vodka @ The Highlander Bar, I certainly breathed in.

Philistine. ;)

Captain Sausage

There’s a food tour in Trastavere, bit off the beaten path but comfortably the best thing we did in Rome. The food is utterly sublime. Porcetta and arancini in particular. 

We also did a historical underground tour of one of the churches near Piazza del Popolo. Perfectly preserved 2000 year old mosaic floor, unbelievable to take in. 

Just now, Barack said:

Yeah. Really liked the Borghese Park & Gardens though, up from Piazza Del Popolo.

Yeh been there, nice.

Just remembered another place, some folks might think it's creepy but a visit to the Capuchin Church on the Via Veneto, where there are several rooms decked out with the bones of the dead monks going back hundreds of years, they have made chandeliers and lamps out of the bones and patterens on the floors and walls, not to everybody's taste.

There is now a museum etc etc and it was something like €6 entrance fee, you have to check as the church is only open at certain times.

Trajan's market is also worth a visit, it's that semi-circular building across the road from the forum but there is much more than just that to see, the entrance is at the very bottom of the Via Nazionale at the roundabout IIRC, at the top of the steps leading up from Trajan's column if coming up from the forum area.

29 minutes ago, Barack said:

Seen some men dressed as Gladiators...

Saw them too, outside the Colloseum.  Turned out one of them was a Celtic fan from Ayr. Needless to say, I was ‘big man’ to him, which sort of spoilt the illusion.

33 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And don't dare sit down on the steps at the Vittorio Emanuele Monument or you'd get chased by a big Italian woman with a whistle who'd blow the whistle and shout something probably not very pleasant in Italian at you.

Spanish Steps did nothing for me, in saying that good views from the top though.

We were very disappointed with the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain (much smaller than we had anticipated).

15 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Saw them too, outside the Colloseum.  Turned out one of them was a Celtic fan from Ayr. Needless to say, I was ‘big man’ to him, which sort of spoilt the illusion.

We were very disappointed with the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain (much smaller than we had anticipated).

I'm not sure I saw much of the steps themselves, there were so many people sitting on them. ;)

On my second day I was given a tour in the early evening, in a very slight drizzle, by my Roman host. It was excellent - hardly anyone on the streets, the whole place mystical in the early evening sun and the eventual sunset.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

You can't go to Rome and at least not see them.

Yes you'll see them and your instant reaction will be - is this it??

I can't recall the name of the place but it's on via Nazionale. We were killing time until the flight and poppedinto this pub, well it served the best pasta I've ever tried. 

I must find the name of it...

28 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yeh I just don't get the Spanish Steps at all.

The Trevi I do quite like and I've seen it without any water in it, covered in scaffolding (being cleaned 2014) and just a few months ago when it was back to it's former glory nice and clean.

There is a webcam for the Trevi and over a dozen more.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lazio/roma/fontana-di-trevi.html

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yes you'll see them and your instant reaction will be - is this it??

Most probably, but in that one moment of seeing them, "Spanish Steps" becomes reality to you, not just a name. You now have a memory and an opinion you can give others. And it's not as if you have to pay to see them... I personally didn't find them particularly impressive, but I know I think that because I've seen them and not because someone else told me. Sorry if that sounds a bit convoluted. :)

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Most probably, but in that one moment of seeing them, "Spanish Steps" becomes reality to you, not just a name. You now have a memory and an opinion you can give others. And it's not as if you have to pay to see them... I personally didn't find them particularly impressive, but I know I think that because I've seen them and not because someone else told me. Sorry if that sounds a bit convoluted. :)

I know exactly what you mean, as everybody's perceptions are different, some folks just love the Spanish Steps whilst others not so, however you have to see it for yourself to form your own opinion.

Personally for me my favorite place in Rome is the Pantheon, every time I walk through the threshold I am just blown away with the sheer side of the place, although I was quite disappointed the last time (May this year) as there were queues to get in, never had that before and also it was crowded and the drain below the oculus was cordoned off (never seen that before), it was just too busy, hell I've been there when there was 6 people in the whole place, and it was absolutely wonderful, and that's what I'll always remember.

The White Cockade

You must do St Peter's Basilica it is incredible

and climb the steps up on to the roof for great views

Look out for the memorial to the Stuarts - Charles Edward etc

Castel San Angelo is close to the Vatican and more than worth a visit

The Pantheon is also amazing and well worth a look and visit the Trevi Fountain as well

Loads of other great places to see both famous and not so well known we just wandered around on foot

Just popped back from the Trevi fountain. It's a nice fountain but not what I'd call spectacular. Definitely more impressive things to see. Maybe it's because Ostia blew me away earlier. Being able to stand behind the bar of a 1800+ year old pub that still had the mosaic menu on the wall was pretty special. 

Edited by Normthebarman

All roads lead to Gorgie

The Baths of Caracalla on Vaile delleTerme di Caracalla has some interesting ruins and lovely grounds. Also worth a mention is a small park on top of the Aventine Hill which has great views of the city and the River Tiber. We sat there every night as it was near our hotel but it was spoiled somewhat on the last night when a guy in a smeltic shirt turned up. 

20 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

You must do St Peter's Basilica it is incredible

and climb the steps up on to the roof for great views

Look out for the memorial to the Stuarts - Charles Edward etc

Castel San Angelo is close to the Vatican and more than worth a visit

The Pantheon is also amazing and well worth a look and visit the Trevi Fountain as well

Loads of other great places to see both famous and not so well known we just wandered around on foot

You have a beautiful white marble monument in St. Peter's and are buried in the crypt below it sir, I have seen your casket and that of your father & brother.

I also live close to Traquair House where you spent your last days in Scotland before marching south to reclaim your rightful claim to the throne.

All roads lead to Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Just popped back from the Trevi fountain. It's a nice fountain but not what I'd call spectacular. Definitely more impressive things to see. Maybe it's because Ostia blew me away earlier. Being able to stand behind the bar of a 1800+ year old pub that still had the mosaic menu on the wall was pretty special. 

I thought the same as it is squeezed into a tiny square in among some narrow streets and lanes. Absolutely moving with tourists and a real honeypot though! 

12 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The Baths of Caracalla on Vaile delleTerme di Caracalla has some interesting ruins and lovely grounds. Also worth a mention is a small park on top of the Aventine Hill which has great views of the city and the River Tiber. We sat there every night as it was near our hotel but it was spoiled somewhat on the last night when a guy in a smeltic shirt turned up. 

Wasn't overly impressed by them tbh, in saying that I visited them in 2008 so there may well be more open now.

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

For me, the Vatican was the best thing to visit in Rome,  Worth every penny.

The best steak I have ever had was in a restaurant called Bucatino in Via Lucca della Robbia.  Pyramides Metro stop for this place.

Do they sell decent ale in the Vatican?

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

No, but the holy water from the font in St. Peters is rank, just ask my brother-in-law who drank from it and spent the next couple of days in the shit house, of course I told him it was the big man's retribution for him pretending to play a flute inside St. Peters Basilica, much to my aghast I may add.

All roads lead to Gorgie
12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Wasn't overly impressed by them tbh, in saying that I visited them in 2008 so there may well be more open now.

I was there in 2010 and found the grounds the best part as they were nice and quiet in a city known for the noise of traffic especially the mopeds in the evenings. There was an admission charge though which maybe would put some off visiting but almost all the museums and other sites charge as well. I think you can buy a pass which gets you into a lot of places with the one ticket though!

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Only this stuff mate.  They seem to like the colour of it.  Strange that...

120DAFDA-1CBA-4434-97A7-FAEDB915307C.jpeg

2 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I was there in 2010 and found the grounds the best part as they were nice and quiet in a city known for the noise of traffic especially the mopeds in the evenings. There was a admission though charge which maybe would put some off visiting but almost all the museums and other sites charge as well. I think you can buy a pass which gets you into a lot of places with the one ticket.

The Roma Pass, wouldn't be without it tbh, well worth the money.

Edit. There are changes to sites all the time, I've been to Rome 5 times now and some sites are different every time I've been with more or less open to the public.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yup. Definitely worth it in my opinion. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

No, but the holy water from the font in St. Peters is rank, just ask my brother-in-law who drank from it and spent the next couple of days in the shit house, of course I told him it was the big man's retribution for him pretending to play a flute inside St. Peters Basilica, much to my aghast I may add.

:laugh:

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I wish we had known to buy it on arrival but we had already visited The Colosseum, Forum and so on before we realised it was available. ☹️

2 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Yup. Definitely worth it in my opinion. 

Alone for by passing the queues at the Colosseum, last time I was there it took me 7 minutes to get into the colosseum whilst some folks waited a couple hours to get in, insider knowledge is a wonderful thing sometimes, just don't ask me about the first time I went to the colosseum tho. ?

1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I wish we had known to buy it on arrival but we had already visited The Colosseum, Forum and so on before we realised it was available. ☹️

The arseholes on kickback are a wealth of knowledge. ?

All roads lead to Gorgie
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The arseholes on kickback are a wealth of knowledge. ?

I forgot to ask them at the time ?

14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

A flute in the Vatican you say...

E901A984-73FE-46B2-98CB-B7B50617231F.jpeg

BA003E2D-0ADA-4A77-B94E-4406A1B9E064.gif

E61B6CF2-F3F6-45C1-8A9F-E8227DC419E8.png

I went into the Colosseum in a group with a guide.

Well worth the extra jumping the queue and a good knowledgeable guide.

Vatican museum as well.

21 minutes ago, Morgan said:

A flute in the Vatican you say...

E901A984-73FE-46B2-98CB-B7B50617231F.jpeg

BA003E2D-0ADA-4A77-B94E-4406A1B9E064.gif

E61B6CF2-F3F6-45C1-8A9F-E8227DC419E8.png

I warned him at the time, but he's a Rangers tw@t so it went over his head.

Wasn't that when he was shitting his insides out over the next couple of days though, karma and all that came to mind. :rofl:

He'd did the same pretending to play a flute on the Wednesday in St. Peter's Square during the Pope's address, and people just stared at him, probably thinking he was some kind of unfortunate simpleton, but he thought this was fantastic, just showed and proved to me how thick stupid and ignorant Rangers fans really are.

Personally I'm non religious, but I respect other peoples beliefs and try not to openly upset them, even if I think they are fecking weirdos.

I P Knightley

There's a restaurant, Parolaccia, which is famous for the rudeness of the waiters. I never got to visit last time I was there - was with the kids - but I'm told by an Italian colleague that the food is really worth it. 

And just north of the Pantheon, there's an ice cream shop with about 150 different flavours. Knocks Boni's into a cocked hat.

Climbed up St Peters today. Huuuuuuge mistake. I have an issue with a damaged nerve in my ear. Makes me really susceptible to getting dizzy and there's a part of the staircase where the ground is level but the walls are all slanted. Completely threw my balance off and spent the whole time at the top trying not to be sick. An hour later and I still feel dodgy. 

Wife liked it though. 

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

There's a restaurant, Parolaccia, which is famous for the rudeness of the waiters. I never got to visit last time I was there - was with the kids - but I'm told by an Italian colleague that the food is really worth it. 

And just north of the Pantheon, there's an ice cream shop with about 150 different flavours. Knocks Boni's into a cocked hat.

It's called Della Palma and yes they claim to have 150 different flavours, although I've never counted them.

Back in 2014 it cost €3.50 for a medium tub which was very reasonable I thought.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

Climbed up St Peters today. Huuuuuuge mistake. I have an issue with a damaged nerve in my ear. Makes me really susceptible to getting dizzy and there's a part of the staircase where the ground is level but the walls are all slanted. Completely threw my balance off and spent the whole time at the top trying not to be sick. An hour later and I still feel dodgy. 

Wife liked it though. 

Did she enjoy the climb as well??