Any useful free transfers out there?

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

After this morning's shitty news. I know we have a good squad, but we've now lost our first and second choice CBs and our first choice CF. I wonder if we might make a short-term signing or two?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wavydavy

• DH1986

• JamboAl

• Spellczech

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably just the dregs that are left to be honest. 

I’d rather we just stuck with the squad we have.

Besides, the players that are free agents would probably be weeks away from match fitness anyway.

Edited by iantjambo

EastSideJambo
1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

Probably just the dregs that are left to be honest. 

I’d rather we just stuck with the squad we have.

We are 1 central defender issue away from a real problem though 

3 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

Yeah that’s fair enough but do you think it would be wise to sign an unfit, below average player just so we have cover?

Don’t get me wrong, If there’s one available that can come in and do a job for us then by all means get him in.

If Clare comes in and plays the CAM role and we have the option to move Naismith forward it still only gives us Naismith and Maclean up front (i dont think Wighton is ready to play week in week out). Thats not enough depth to see us through untill January and then you have the problem at the other end of the park. Im confident that Dikamona can form a strong partnership with Dunne but that olny leaves Hughes as back and although he is extremely experienced his lack of pace and general fitness will leave us in a bad situation if any of the afore mentioned pick up a knock. I think we have to look at possible out of contract players (if the wage budget allows) for the short term as we are extremely short at both ends of the park. We could move Haring back to CB but i feel he offers balance and a cool head in the def mid position and we are short of players who could play that role to the same standard week in week out.

Steven caulker. Played until recent, knows the league,

Give him any off field support he might need and get him signed and back to his best

Edited by Alan_R

Selkirkhmfc1874
16 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

No we're not ! Haring can play there , Michael Smith can play there aswell 

21 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

After this morning's shitty news. I know we have a good squad, but we've now lost our first and second choice CBs and our first choice CF. I wonder if we might make a short-term signing or two?

I think it is possible, but these may have to be "free agents" as opposed to "free transfers".

10 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

We've already over spent our budget for the season with the signing of Sean Clare.

We’ll have a few extra from semi-final tickets plus the SFA will be covering the salary of Souttar.

Giuseppe Rossi, the Italian/American striker is available. He's scored around 125 goals in Spain and Italy in the last decade. More than likely way outwith our wage structure but it would only be for three months. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

No, use the squad. December is going to be the killer again, we have a plethora of midfielders and surely some games Hughes could play as well as putting Haring in at centre back. More concerned about the lack of strikers than defenders

5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We’ll have a few extra from semi-final tickets plus the SFA will be covering the salary of Souttar.

No they won’t.

Not even worth it now, by the time they are match fit, Vanecek will have come in and Berra will be back fit. 

We really needed to replace Lafferty there and then. We never and it’s going to cost us our best chance of a challenge in a long time. Steven MacLean is a great signing and can do a job but he could get injured or feel the burn of playing too many games with dodgy knees. 

At least with Souttar we have cover with Dikamona and Hughes. 

EastSideJambo
12 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

No we're not ! Haring can play there , Michael Smith can play there aswell 

Square pegs to a large extent though. Both being deployed at CB weaken us in right back and defensive MF. 

No point bringing in a run of mill just to sit about and pull a wedge 

Today is bad news 

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

We've already over spent our budget for the season with the signing of Sean Clare.

Mmm.. But we have money available for January? 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, EastSideJambo said:

Square pegs to a large extent though. Both being deployed at CB weaken us in right back and defensive MF. 

No point bringing in a run of mill just to sit about and pull a wedge 

Today is bad news 

Every team suffers injuries and it's why we have a big squad , now time to use the squad we have rather than bringing anybody else in imo 

1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Mmm.. But we have money available for January? 

Glad u have said this for those not itk Ann Has said that money is there to improve the squad In January if needed.

2 hours ago, EastSideJambo said:

We're not really though - We have Dunne, Hughes, Dikamona and Haring...

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

And Smith. 

Just now, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

And Smith. 

Indeed. And Dikamona looks a player...Up front is where I am most concerned but it is just a case of hoping McLean stays fit until January... It's bad news but not a total disaster, and no need to go shopping the bargain basement again.

4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Hughes is to slow and is injured to much and cant play 2 or 3 games a week if required, taking Haring from the midfield would cause us to be weaker in that position. So yes we are 1 central defender injury away from having problems

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, jambo3tevie said:

Hughes is to slow and is injured to much and cant play 2 or 3 games a week if required, taking Haring from the midfield would cause us to be weaker in that position. So yes we are 1 central defender injury away from having problems

It's not ideal to lose both centre half's, but would we get better than what we have just for the next 3 months?

I don't think so. 

We have a squad for a reason. Dunne has been good, Smith is more than able in centre half, Dikamona looks ready and Haring is a centre half by trade. 

It's not that bad, although all these aren't at the same standard of Berra and Souttar, but we won't get better than them now anyway if we got someone else in. 

Up front, we are 1 injury away from a big problem. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

1 minute ago, jambo3tevie said:

We have Bozanic who can come into midfield for Haring if necessary, or Clare if we play him alongside Lee or Djoum and forego a DM. We have the two young RBs on the way back which could allow us to move Smith into CB...

If you just think First XI is Best XI then yes we obviously have a problem.

2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

I doubt we will have budgeted for the additional 500k plus we will make from the league cup semi.

I doubt either that we will have already spent our player budget for the season with the January transfer window looming.

Agree regards Dikamona, he looks ready to slot in straight away but regards Smith, if we have to put him in at centre half then who do we play at right back with brandon and godinho still injured. Morrison couldnt play right back unless its a back 3 with him as wing back and even then its not ideal. Like yourself i dont think we could get better than what we have but if there was a player out there (with acceptable wages) who we could get in as cover untill January then its a no brainer. The same regarding our striking options in my oppinion

HeartOfWestLothian

Can't we get someone in on an emergency loan? 

For January I would use some cash to sign that Halkett from Livingston, he wouldn't cost too much and has proven he can perform well in this league. 

EastSideJambo
31 minutes ago, jambo3tevie said:

How I see it bud 

Captain Canada

I'm not concerned about the defence at all as there are lots of options. The striking situation is more likely to cause us problems. Wighton, MacLean and Naismith are all quite similar and like coming deep for the ball. 

There is no target man and also a lack of pace. It showed against Livingston how one dimensional we were up front. 

29 minutes ago, jambo3tevie said:

Agree regards Dikamona, he looks ready to slot in straight away but regards Smith, if we have to put him in at centre half then who do we play at right back with brandon and godinho still injured. Morrison couldnt play right back unless its a back 3 with him as wing back and even then its not ideal. Like yourself i dont think we could get better than what we have but if there was a player out there (with acceptable wages) who we could get in as cover untill January then its a no brainer. The same regarding our striking options in my oppinion

Godinho is fit and training

StevenNaismith

Wouldn’t surprise me if we lost Haring soon as well as he’s been playing through the pain barrier for weeks. We’ve really got no luck at all with injuries.

52 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Indeed. And Dikamona looks a player...Up front is where I am most concerned but it is just a case of hoping McLean stays fit until January... It's bad news but not a total disaster, and no need to go shopping the bargain basement again.

Naismith up front with McLean, Give Wighton his chance or revert to one up front it’s not long until January. No need to be looking at other signings especially the bargain basement. 

With Vanacek coming in January and Berra hopefully back by then, I think we power through with the squad we have. Really doubt there's anyone available in October who's fit and an improvement on what we've already got. 

rudi must stay
23 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Naismith up front with McLean, Give Wighton his chance or revert to one up front it’s not long until January. No need to be looking at other signings especially the bargain basement. 

I'd put Wighton in one week (not Saturday, tough game and I think we need our best team which is McLean and Naismith). Reckon he has a strong attitude and will want to make amends for the Livi game.

1 hour ago, HeartOfWestLothian said:

Can't we get someone in on an emergency loan? 

For January I would use some cash to sign that Halkett from Livingston, he wouldn't cost too much and has proven he can perform well in this league. 

Why would we be granted an 'emergency loan'? We have a good sized squad to use. 

georgiehearts66
3 hours ago, El Diez said:

No they won’t.

Yes they do. No salary/fee, but fully insured re injury.

47 minutes ago, AGoodLaugh said:

With Vanacek coming in January and Berra hopefully back by then, I think we power through with the squad we have. Really doubt there's anyone available in October who's fit and an improvement on what we've already got. 

in this country maybe,wonder what's knocking about in the likes of Haring's old stamping ground.

avhudtheteeshirt

What worries me is, with all the injuries were still top of the league!

Now would be the ideal time for referees to put paid to any chance we might have to do anything in this league!

When you think you have enough cover, it only takes one dodgy red card and were screwed!!!

9 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Dimitar Berbatov is without a club. 

Good player but questionable attitude at times. Look at poor old Manu! ?

3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Good player but questionable attitude at times. Look at poor old Manu! ?

He’s as close to those daft freestyle footballers as I’ve ever seen live. Terrifying ability with a football.