Anyone remember this pub?

Rick James

My dads recalling a pub that used to be on Leith Walk, roughly opposite Stories bakers.

He says it was on 3 levels, downstair was the main bar, and up stairs had pool tables and a gym. He says he took me along when i was younger so we must be talking as recent as mid 90's.

Anyone got a clue?

Im sure Leith and Roseburn Hearts used to leave from there after we moved from a pub that was called the something Dug. Samsons or similar??

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, logie green said:

the walk inn? became jaynes now the harp & castle.

Used to be Youngers.

I think.

2 minutes ago, pablo said:

Definitely Morrisons and definitely pre Leith Walk gentrification. 

The Golden Lion (ok boozer) then became Morrison's (not so ok).  Only 3 level pub on the Walk

5 minutes ago, LeithJambo said:

The Golden Lion (ok boozer) then became Morrison's (not so ok).  Only 3 level pub on the Walk

As a Leither what do you think of the transformation of the Walk? 

12 minutes ago, pablo said:

As a Leither what do you think of the transformation of the Walk? 

Open minded at present. We'll see how it goes. Might be a bit too many students for me. 

8 minutes ago, LeithJambo said:

Open minded at present. We'll see how it goes. Might be a bit too many students for me. 

Always amazed how many Hearts are in Leith.  Was in Wilkies Great Junction a couple of months ago and loved how many Hearts fans were around. Football on the TV! 

6 minutes ago, pablo said:

Always amazed how many Hearts are in Leith.  Was in Wilkies Great Junction a couple of months ago and loved how many Hearts fans were around. Football on the TV! 

Shhhhhhhhhhhh

Definitely Morrison’s, was across the road from where the Alhambra is opposite Lorne street

Edited by Jambo4523

1 hour ago, Jambo4523 said:

Definitely Morrison’s, was across the road from where the Alhambra is opposite Lorne street

Lorne Street?

Is that where the wee school is?  Was there not a Lorne Bar right on the corner?

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, Morgan said:

Lorne Street?

Is that where the wee school is?  Was there not a Lorne Bar right on the corner?

Indeed.

Bridge of Djoum

As I understand it, the ''gentrification'' of Leith Walk has zero to do with making it better for the current residents. The student flats which are slated to be built there are only required to be student accom for a set, short number of years before their designation reverts to private letting property. Essentially the developer will get big tax breaks to provide the flats, then reap the reward once it reverts to private let. 

Someone at the council is looking after his/her friends.

Placid Casual
7 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

As I understand it, the ''gentrification'' of Leith Walk has zero to do with making it better for the current residents. The student flats which are slated to be built there are only required to be student accom for a set, short number of years before their designation reverts to private letting property. Essentially the developer will get big tax breaks to provide the flats, then reap the reward once it reverts to private let. 

Someone at the council is looking after his/her friends.

I didn’t know that. What a shower of *******s.

I was in the Leith Depot the other night and the current residents are still fighting hard against it.

http://saveleithwalk.org

7 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Indeed.

One summer, when on school holidays, I got a job as a caretaker in that school.

I was sitting in a wee room and heard a lot of shouting and noise from the gym which was on the 3rd or 4th floor.  I phoned the Education dept. at Torphichen Street to report it and to ask what I should do. They told me to go up and investigate.

I was like ‘aye, right, straight away’.

I left the premises.

I'm going Golden Lion, had a very weird atmosphere? - like you were in it but not accepted?.  It amazes me all these Pubs I know from the eighties and nineties on these threads.  I knew I had a good time when in my twenties, gawd knows how I held down a job though, as almost every single mention of a pub on these threads brings back memories

59 minutes ago, Placid Casual said:

I was in the Leith Depot the other night and the current residents are still fighting hard against it.

Didn't know that either.  Maybe this deserves a new thread? (I don't post enough to justify me starting one_).  Much as I'm against Leith for ninety minutes, the people don't deserve to be screwed to provide profits for developers.

Fxxx the SPFL
15 hours ago, obua said:

Lord Nelson was in trafalgar street of ferry road.

Still is Obua iv'e been in a couple of times try to avoid the Oceana clientele after spill out time can get a bit tasty.

1 minute ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Still is Obua iv'e been in a couple of times try to avoid the Oceana clientele after spill out time can get a bit tasty.

I heard it had tried to go up market recently with new owners ,I didn’t know if it changed name or not.

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, Placid Casual said:

12 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Didn't know that either.  Maybe this deserves a new thread? (I don't post enough to justify me starting one_).  Much as I'm against Leith for ninety minutes, the people don't deserve to be screwed to provide profits for developers.

I'm a leither myself, and that part of the Walk does need some tarting up. I also understand that this growth of ''student flats' isn't unique to the fit o' the Walk. Apparently it's happening in Fountainbridge and the Southside too. Possibly other areas. I have a friend quite high up in city planning, he stayed with me recently and was filling me in on a few things. Apparently the developer stands to make considerable money for his very small outlay. 

jack D and coke
18 hours ago, Locky said:

My dads recalling a pub that used to be on Leith Walk, roughly opposite Stories bakers.

He says it was on 3 levels, downstair was the main bar, and up stairs had pool tables and a gym. He says he took me along when i was younger so we must be talking as recent as mid 90's.

Anyone got a clue?

Used to go there on a Friday sometimes after work for beers and pool. That would’ve been early 90’s. 

At Fountainbridge - with all the new flats round the old Vietnam bar (remember that?), they were developing derelict land for the most part.  While I agree Leith needs investment, Id say that area needs Social housing to replace the flats over all those shops scheduled to go, and new shops to replace them too.  Is Edinburgh Uni financing and reaping benefits too? - they are mentioned on the graffiti chalked up on the boards over the windows of the shut down shops?

Bridge of Djoum
4 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

At Fountainbridge - with all the new flats round the old Vietnam bar (remember that?), they were developing derelict land for the most part.  While I agree Leith needs investment, Id say that area needs Social housing to replace the flats over all those shops scheduled to go, and new shops to replace them too.  Is Edinburgh Uni financing and reaping benefits too? - they are mentioned on the graffiti chalked up on the boards over the windows of the shut down shops?

Edinburgh Uni and the Church of Scotland own swathes of land and buildings in the city. It’s fair to say they will benefit in some way. The uni I mean. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, Jambo4523 said:

Some non profit organisation for volunteering. Big change from the Morrison’s days!

75F3DF30-AA1B-4038-B75F-05E32D017405.png

Pffftttt. No get many stabbings in there.

Defo Morrison’s. Always remember that place as it was painted in garish Red, green and yellow colours. Stood out like a sore Griffiths. Sure the entire building was demolished and a three story effort put up in its place. Was a lighting design company before becoming a charity HQ. 

Morrisons it was. (Not Samsons as above). Now what was the one on the street opposite. I thought Wally Dug but that's in the newtown. Deffo the something dug. I remember a Hibs fan getting thrown through the window there by a well known Hearts fan

On 17/10/2018 at 22:17, Husky said:

Think it may be the lord nelson had many a happy Friday night there

Lord Nelson was on Trafalger Street, between ferry road and pity street. Billy Connolly had a fight there in 'just another saturday'. Fxxxxn alley from the same film was just off Fort Street

10 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Morrisons it was. (Not Samsons as above). Now what was the one on the street opposite. I thought Wally Dug but that's in the newtown. Deffo the something dug. I remember a Hibs fan getting thrown through the window there by a well known Hearts fan

The pub you're thinking of was the Collie Dug.  

On 17/10/2018 at 20:22, LeithJambo said:

Open minded at present. We'll see how it goes. Might be a bit too many Hibs for me. 

:thumbsup: 

10 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

It was Morrisons in its later days but when it opened and during the 80's at least it was the Golden Lion. 

Sawdust Caesar

The guy that ran/owned Morrisons used to live in my old street. Not long after he moved in he was spotted coming of his house with a shit filled nappy which he dumped in the gutter outside his house. Talk about shitting on your own doorstep.