American Football.

upgotheheads

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Pretty sure there is a league minimum guarantee or base salary. Obviously contracts are hugely incentivised ie. roster bonus, appearances, number of td’s etc. You would loose that, but if not contributing can’t expect to be the full whack to someone who is putting their neck on the line and performing. Whilst players union is the NFL pretty strong so when you leave the game pension and various other benefits are provided.

Obvious it will vary massively player to player but in general there is a desire to try and long term plan for them. Now some may argue, not enough as these guys are putting their health at risk when they step on field.

College players get royally screwed over imo. The colleges make millions as do tv etc off these guys and they technically get nothing. Their rights are sold about them and they have no comeback. Now I appreciate there is a very grey area it terms of perks etc but the fact people are having to operate in area is a sham. College football is just as big as the NFL in many ways.

I totally agree. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Peebo

• Chester™

• hmfc_liam06

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Pretty sure there is a league minimum guarantee or base salary. Obviously contracts are hugely incentivised ie. roster bonus, appearances, number of td’s etc. You would loose that, but if not contributing can’t expect to be the full whack to someone who is putting their neck on the line and performing. Whilst players union is the NFL pretty strong so when you leave the game pension and various other benefits are provided.

Obvious it will vary massively player to player but in general there is a desire to try and long term plan for them. Now some may argue, not enough as these guys are putting their health at risk when they step on field.

College players get royally screwed over imo. The colleges make millions as do tv etc off these guys and they technically get nothing. Their rights are sold about them and they have no comeback. Now I appreciate there is a very grey area it terms of perks etc but the fact people are having to operate in area is a sham. College football is just as big as the NFL in many ways.

Just as big? Bigger in many parts of the country. If it were openly professional, I’m not sure that that would be the case, though.

College players get a hell of a lot of benefit from scholarships etc., but at the same time, there is no question they are also being exploited. 

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Peebo, I think you live in us. You got a college team?

Just interested. .

I don’t any more, but lived in an area where college football was certainly bigger for about six years. I couldn’t get into it, as I didn’t have any affinity for any of the colleges. Got hooked on NFL instead, and had a season ticket for five years. 

Now I’m trying to take an interest in the Florida Gators as my nephew goes there, but don’t make too much of an effort to watch their games. 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Cheers just windered. What was the college team as a matter of interest?

Mental how big it is in certain areas. Had a mate a Bamma and visited him, that was a shock realising how massive it is. Granted probably 20 years ago but stuck with me.

I lived in Houston. Texas A&M were nearest top tier college team, and University of Texas probably had the biggest following. University of Houston got decent crowds etc., but weren’t an elite team.

College football definitely bigger than NFL in the South, and particularly around Alabama etc..

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Did you follow them when out there b’ball or football? Was it as big as nfl or nba in the 80’s

College Football and Basketball have always been huge in the US. I was there in NC from 81-82 and that was the year Coach Smith won his first National Championship. The starting line up was Jimmy Black, Sam Perkins, James Worthy, Michael Jordan and Matt Doherty. I was up in the mountains so never actually got to Chapel Hill to watch a game live but after the Championship game about 10 of us drove down there to party in Franklin St. It was pretty wild. I'd say the college sports (the big 2) have always rivalled and often beaten the pro games for supporters but no sports coins in the money (anywhere in the world) like the NFL. Even back then Michigan were getting 100k for their home football games. College sports is massive in the states and back then was bent as a 9bob note from an "amateur " point of view especially in the big football and basketball schools. Players in all sports were given easy or virtual free rides on the academics sides. Money was handed over by University boosters to players and players families. I think it's an awful lot more regulated and strict now but the bending and breaking of rules will still be there just done more covertly.  

I used to watch the highlights when they had the old NFL Europe and the Scottish Claymores played at Murrayfield. They got to the final and hosted the “World Bowl”.

I went a long with a few school mates, must have been about 1997? We had literally no clue how long the stoppages were... We stayed to the end but we were all thoroughly bored and put off the game.

I don’t mind watching highlights shows and I do enjoy compilation videos of the NFL’s most amazing moments, biggest errors etc, but it’s never going to be as good as going to the football.

On 15/10/2018 at 13:45, Bridge of Djoum said:

Good to see Peter keeping up his form of jumping onto threads to whine about how he hates the subject. Tragic patter from our America hater-in-chief. Never set foot on the land, never seen a sports event live,  never met a Yank he likes. 

There are 5 year olds with more life experience than him.

Been several times, seen several live, meh probably.

Carry on your obsession with me though. It's... not... creepy.

On 15/10/2018 at 23:17, luckyBatistuta said:

307BB157-1E11-42AD-9E35-C7FEDADF523C.gif

:rofl: I only get the coat reference to be honest.

I've been to several American football games and never got into it at all. Some of the games were NFL fixtures (albeit for shite teams) whilst the rest were college/university level (where they actually won their division, I got free tickets before you ask).

I went to the games genuinely hoping to get interested in it but it was so stop/start it made it impossible. I read that only around 11minutes of the game is actually in-play action. For me it's like watching a movie with advert breaks every 3 seconds or so.

7 hours ago, peter_hmfc said:

I went to the games genuinely hoping to get interested in it but it was so stop/start it made it impossible. I read that only around 11minutes of the game is actually in-play action. For me it's like watching a movie with advert breaks every 3 seconds or so.

That makes absolutely zero sense, the clock is only ever running during plays/after a catch. The full hour is played, every game.

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That makes absolutely zero sense, the clock is only ever running during plays/after a catch. The full hour is played, every game.

Even in times when the clock is running there is a lot of standing about doing nothing.

I'm guessing the WSJ must be talking shite then?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

You score an own goal by mentioning how the matchtime is to be 1 hour (4x15). An NFL game takes on average about 3 hours 30mins to be carried out, so where does the rest of the time go?

Edited by peter_hmfc

14 minutes ago, peter_hmfc said:

Even in times when the clock is running there is a lot of standing about doing nothing.

I'm guessing the WSJ must be talking shite then?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

You score an own goal by mentioning how the matchtime is to be 1 hour (4x15). An NFL game takes on average about 3 hours 30mins to be carried out, so where does the rest of the time go?

An own goal? The rest of the time is taken up by stoppages and breaks in play.

That standing about doing nothing you speak about is them organising the upcoming play, at the line of scrimmage, working out the defense etc. That's all part of the football and not merely "standing about doing nothing". There's more to the game than when the ball has been snapped. Perhaps you just don't understand the game?

Nice of you to link to an article that's behind a paywall to "back up" your argument though.

8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

An own goal? The rest of the time is taken up by stoppages and breaks in play.

That standing about doing nothing you speak about is them organising the upcoming play, at the line of scrimmage, working out the defense etc. That's all part of the football and not merely "standing about doing nothing". There's more to the game than when the ball has been snapped. Perhaps you just don't understand the game?

Nice of you to link to an article that's behind a paywall to "back up" your argument though.

:rofl:Your first sentence literally proves my point. So what are the viewers supposed to do when they're standing around organising and debating the next play? Can we hear what they're saying? No. Is this supposed to entertain the spectators?

Fair enough I didn't see the paywall. Here's essentially a review of the review.

https://curiosity.com/topics/the-average-nfl-game-has-only-11-minutes-of-action-curiosity/

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The clock frequently runs in between plays, and not only after a catch. Unless you count the play as being “live” when the clock is running before the snap. 

The clock runs for a total of 60 minutes. The ball is in play for a considerably shorter period. 

1 hour ago, Peebo said:

The clock frequently runs in between plays, and not only after a catch. Unless you count the play as being “live” when the clock is running before the snap. 

The clock runs for a total of 60 minutes. The ball is in play for a considerably shorter period. 

I do yes. Identifying how they are lining up etc is all part of the action for me.

Going down the route of counting the minutes the ball is in play is just silly and not exclusive to the NFL. Is the ball in play for 90 minutes at football? I must mind tell the wife my rounds of golf aren't actually four hours but the few minutes or so I've spent addressed at the ball.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

12 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I do yes. Identifying how they are lining up etc is all part of the action for me.

Going down the route of counting the minutes the ball is in play is just silly and not exclusive to the NFL. Is the ball in play for 90 minutes at football? I must mind tell the wife my rounds of golf aren't actually four hours but the few minutes or so I've spent addressed at the ball.

In football (real football) it is far higher. One review put EPL games at an average of 53minutes to 59minutes of actual gameplay out of 90minutes.

https://talksport.com/football/315919/average-ball-play-time-each-premier-league-side-201718-season-171127263506/

That's significantly higher than watching about 200minutes of US football to see 11minutes of action.

Are you really comparing golf to US football? Really?

Edited by peter_hmfc

We both define action differently so there's no point going round in circles.

You'd obviously prefer it if the players raced back to the LoS after a play and went straight into another one. Meanwhile in the real world...

23 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Fair enough. I just thought your post that I quoted may have needed some clarification.