American Football.

upgotheheads

Bridge of Djoum

I never liked or understood the game until I started playing Fantasy Football. Now I've been glued to it a while. Tough game to get into TBF, and the commercial breaks are a pain, but IMO, it's a terrific sport.

Steelers for me. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Peebo

• Chester™

• hmfc_liam06

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Got to throw in Ice Hockey too. It should be exciting but the "fights" are as staged as WWE and I can never see where the puck is...You need a buzzer and a flashing light to know there is a goal, and then slo-mo on telly to see it!!!

Staged fights there was one in the game Canucks v Calgary, one of the combatants is still not playing because of bone fractures in his face. There have been a number of men who in their time were the designated fighter, they have commited suicide because of injuries particularly head injuries they suffered in their staged fights. Whatever the criticisms of hockey may be, seldom are the fights staged, on occasioins a non fighter will cover up and hold on, but most of the fights are genuine, and part of a serious program because of lasting medical problems to get them out of hockey.

10 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

PHM = Washington Redskins. :cool:

John Riggins even has the same initials as John Robertson ffs.

Firmly second that.

Image result for washington redskins uniforms history

Even the colours are pretty close, and your right the best two JR's in sport Robertson and Riggins.

16 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Got to throw in Ice Hockey too. It should be exciting but the "fights" are as staged as WWE and I can never see where the puck is...You need a buzzer and a flashing light to know there is a goal, and then slo-mo on telly to see it!!!

If you think the fights 'are as staged as WWE', I'd recommend you watch the documentaries 'Ice Guardians' or 'The Last Gladiators, to see what these guys go through.

33 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Staged fights there was one in the game Canucks v Calgary, one of the combatants is still not playing because of bone fractures in his face. There have been a number of men who in their time were the designated fighter, they have commited suicide because of injuries particularly head injuries they suffered in their staged fights. Whatever the criticisms of hockey may be, seldom are the fights staged, on occasioins a non fighter will cover up and hold on, but most of the fights are genuine, and part of a serious program because of lasting medical problems to get them out of hockey.

Don't know a great deal about the sport but you'd have to think the ruling bodies would've tried to cut down on the number of fights if there were so many serious injuries.

I guess the sport would lose a large percentage of viewers if there's no chance of violence.

Rodger Mellie
7 hours ago, Peebo said:

It’s a cracking stadium location to go to a game. I went for a couple of nights for my only NFL away trip; certainly beats Dundee or Dunfermline away! 

Yeah the stadium is in a fantastic location and Nashville is a great little city. Ravens fans seemed to take over town over the weekend and I guess most visiting teams bring a large following to Nashville. Be some away trip for fans when Vegas gets its team!

16 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Don't know a great deal about the sport but you'd have to think the ruling bodies would've tried to cut down on the number of fights if there were so many serious injuries.

I guess the sport would lose a large percentage of viewers if there's no chance of violence.

Thats so true, the fans want it but the league and the teams would just as well get rid of it. For the club management its a waste of a player because the best fighters are seldom your skilled player so technically you are using brawn as opposed to brain. Saturday was an example, a nineteen year old Canuck was viciously checked and injured by a Florida player, not long ago that would have caused a brawl. No physical action taken by Canucks, who actually won the game.

To get back on topic which is football, I started watching Canadian football similar to American when I first came to Canada. It was the most confusing sport I had ever watched, of course I also encouraged more confusion by watching American football. My

son chose football as his sport of choice, and was really good at it, he inherited his paternal grandfathers speed, aggression, and natural sports ability, but when he hit eighteen I would not let him continue, he just was not big enough and would have been murdered at that age. Because of his involvement though I have become quite a football fan, B.C. Lions and Seattle Seahawks my favorites. Baseball and basketball I just cannot watch, but still enjoy wtaching a good old fitba' game.

32 minutes ago, Jeff said:

It isn't so much serious injuries in fights it was the frequency of them. The game schedule in hockey is punishing on its own with teams playing every 3 days or so with long journeys often in-between so injuries and minor concussions never really go away and escalate. These are big guys hitting each other with serious venom behind it. As shown in the film The Last Gladiators mentioned above. 

Doesn't look staged to me

Edited by Tazio

49 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m not a ice hockey fan. I find it really hard to follow the puck. 

However, I was reading something that basically said that ice hockey effectively the players reffed the game. Whereas the refs were almost there to make sure things didn’t get out of hand for contentious issues ie. fights starting. They step in one players hits ice or something.

Furthermore certain players are in team due to the fact they can handle themselves. A goon or enforcer I think was the title. 

Ice hockey seemed to be to be governed by lots of unwritten rules.

Is this true?

Yes and no. There's a 'Code' (something that a lot of sports have) about what you can do or not. The officials are there to officiate and despite all our complaining, most of them are actually pretty good at it. IMO, they've probably the hardest reffing job in sports. They'll pick up a lot of the stick infractions etc but there's only so many sets of eyes, so things will get missed and thats where the chat of 'players reffing it themselves' comes into it. If a fight breaks out, the linesmen will be the ones to separate them if need be, whether that be when one hits the ice or a shirt comes over the head. The 'goon' or 'enforcer' is going the way of the Dodo. All players on the ice (in the vast majority of leagues) need to be able to play these days and the one dimensional fighter is almost done away with. Even when they were in line-ups, they rarely fought anyone outside their weight class. There was also a myth that if your guy won a fight, it changed the dynamic of the game and got your side on top. Studies have shown that this was a very rare occurrence.

47 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Fighting, save for one or two leagues, is down considerably and in top level European leagues and Internationals, its effectively non-existent as you're immediately thrown out in you drop the gloves.

The concussion issue and head shots being linked to CTE is a deep issue in the NHL/hockey as a whole (as it is in most heavy duty contact sports). Checks to the head, that were routine just a decade or so ago, are beginning to be outlawed and stiff penalties handed out to those who offend. Despite what some old timers will have you believe, the excitement and pace levels havent disappeared and its allowing more of the skill players to flourish again.

I got a ticket to the Texans vs. Cowboys game last weekend in Houston. First game I've been to in a while. It's a bloody great day out, even if you 1) don't understand the game, or 2) like the game all that much. As said, the pre-game activities are always fun. 

One thing that gets on my tits though is that at certain points  the game goes to adverts on TV. The ref actually waits for the adverts to finish before restarting the game. That has never sat well with me for some reason. 

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Thanks for the response. 

I just found it interesting they ‘allegedly’ refed themselves. Do they call fouls on themselves or just give puck back if a foul committed but not called? Or am I being really naive thinking they penalise them self’s?

Do the fights serve a purpose or is simply someone does something ‘dickish’ and they get called out on it.

Do the refs just step in to stop people getting hurt? I imagine hitting ice or shirt over head could put someone in a vulnerable situation.

Sorry for what will seem like stupid questions I’m jistvwondering. My knowledge of ice hockey is based solely on watching the mighty ducks and once attending a game to watch Dallas stars 

Im just about to google anyone use the skate as a weapon in ice hockey fight!

No. They dont ref themselves like you've asked there (I did cover that in my reply!). The referees (there's two) ref the game, with assistance from two linesmen.

Is there a purpose? Mainly to call out behaviour that is 'dickish' as you put it, though there's been an increase in fights occurring after good, clean and legal hits, which gets right on my tits tbh (as it does for many fans).

As also noted in my reply, the linesmen will step into fights if one player drops to the ice (eg, loses balance, shirt over head etc). They'll sometimes get in between a scrum of players to calm tempers as well.

Hope that covers it!

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Well I have loads of other questions but I’ll use google. Cheers for reply.

I'll happily answer them (if I know the answer!).

There's always the Ice Hockey thread as well (one of the stuck threads).

43 minutes ago, trotter said:

I got a ticket to the Texans vs. Cowboys game last weekend in Houston. First game I've been to in a while. It's a bloody great day out, even if you 1) don't understand the game, or 2) like the game all that much. As said, the pre-game activities are always fun. 

One thing that gets on my tits though is that at certain points  the game goes to adverts on TV. The ref actually waits for the adverts to finish before restarting the game. That has never sat well with me for some reason. 

I only really ever noticed that at games that were on nationwide TV. For most games, I never really noticed that at the Texans - the breaks always seemed pretty well aligned with play clock, two-minute warning etc..

1 hour ago, Rodger Mellie said:

Yeah the stadium is in a fantastic location and Nashville is a great little city. Ravens fans seemed to take over town over the weekend and I guess most visiting teams bring a large following to Nashville. Be some away trip for fans when Vegas gets its team!

Aye, I was there supporting the Texans about 5 years ago or so; we were decent, and the Titans were shite. The stadium was about half full and the majority seemed to be supporting the Texans. 

J.T.F.Robertson
13 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

PHM = Washington Redskins. :cool:

John Riggins even has the same initials as John Robertson ffs.

Strangely enough I still remember (I think) the first game I watched after deciding I would make an effort to "get into" the NFL. It actually featured the Steelers and Redskins, was a Monday night job and must have been at the old Three Rivers as the Steelers wore their black and gold outfit. I knew literally nowt about either team, or the sport for that matter, but you'd have thought I'd have chosen Washington given the similarity to Hearts' colours but plumped for Pittsburgh. I know I loved their colours but it may also have had something to to with Pitts"burgh" / Edin"burgh". Who knows.

Anyhoo, this was around 1973, and I'm firmly of the opinion they have me to thank for their six SB's, given they had won sweet-tweet prior to my conversion. :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Thanks, I have just been reading an article on John Scott who seems to have been one of the last ‘enforcers’. I find it interesting, it’s pretty unique concept in sport I think.

Why is fighting such such a big part of the sport? Is it historical? I appreciate its getting less from what I can pick up.  Historical. Its been used a tool to try and intimidate (have a read of the 'Broad Street Bullies' in 1970s), to settle long standing feuds/scores or simply to reply to a bad hit or poor play with the stick (remember players know where there isnt padding).

Is it just lessening now due to us becoming a more civilised society in general or is a specific change in sport to appear more viewer friendly or whatever? Its lessening now mainly because of tactics. All players need the ability to play, contribute to the team (eg score/pass/take a faceoff/be a good defensive player) and skate properly, rather than simply being there to go out, start a fight and then sit on their arse for the rest of the game. Society has some influence and some of it is down to previous years where games were simply fight fests. Despite what many think, continual fights are really dull to watch. One or two can get the crowd going but any more than that can get really tedious. Fighting perhaps attracts people to go in the first place but after a couple of games, that soon turns into being hooked for the actual sport and level of skill needed.

Could enforcers play play or where they just there to fight? Or depend on player? Some could play. Arguably the greatest 'enforcer' of them all, the late Bob Probert, could certainly play. Many became enforcers as their general skills, despite sometimes being stand outs at junior level, didnt get them recognised by top level coaches, so they turned to fighting to get noticed. There were plenty, certainly in previous years, who could barely stand on two skates (see the film 'Goon').

Is their etiquette to fighting ie. you both need to throw down gloves to fight. So if one person throws gloves down and other doesn’t. Fight can’t happen? You mentioned only fighting your own weight class. There is some etiquette. You generally fight someone who is of similar stature (height and weight) to yourself. Its frowned upon if a 6 foot 5, 230 lbs bruiser starts flinging punches on a 5 foot 10, 185 lbs, skill player. (not to say it doesnt happen, but its rare).

When engaging in a fight, if one throws gloves down and the other doesnt, usually the officials step in and separate it and the player that throws the gloves down is assessed a penalty (usually 2 minutes). Again, it can happen that a player just gets pounded upon anyway (though thats also a rarity).

Is fighting a bit of show for fans. It clearly serves a purpose but is it similar to say a manager get thrown out at baseball where he almost needs to make a scene. In the past, fighting was sometimes used to try and gee the team and fans up, and 'swing momentum' back if you were losing. Scientific studies have shown thats mainly a myth, though its still a dominant attitude within the game.

Is there a game you would recommend watching to hook me? Depends on what you're after. If its fighting on its own, try hockeyfights.com. They list every fight from most leagues around the world, going back years and they have loads of videos (on their site and YouTube channel). For the purist, try and track down the 2010 Winter Olympic Final between Canada and the USA. Probably one the best games ever.

Has anyone used the skate as a weapon or is that just happy Gilmore chat? Not that I can recall, though it probably has happened. You're more likely to see the stick being used as a weapon tbh.

I’ll check out the sticky but the thought reading a massive thread takes some warming up to!!! (Please tell me a uragyan poster hasn’t been spouting their ‘knowledge’ there!). There's probably no need to read the whole thread tbh. Just jump and get into it. And no, said poster isnt there.

Anything else, just ask away. :thumbsup:

As mentioned, I highly recommend both 'Ice Guardians' (available on Netflix) and 'The Last Gladiators' (you'll find it somewhere!) for an insight into fighting and enforcers.

Edited by Chester™

3 hours ago, Chester™ said:

If you think the fights 'are as staged as WWE', I'd recommend you watch the documentaries 'Ice Guardians' or 'The Last Gladiators, to see what these guys go through.

Well my comment is based on the rule that they have to remove protective gear in order to fight - Stick thrown away - ok; Gloves off -ok but why helmet off? 

Best way to stop fights would be having the first guy who throws a punch be smacking a helmet. Ouch.

Edited by Spellczech

15 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Well my comment is based on the rule that they have to remove protective gear in order to fight - Stick thrown away - ok; Gloves off -ok but why helmet off? 

Best way to stop fights would be having the first guy who throws a punch be smacking a helmet. Ouch.

The helmet (since they became mandatory around 1980) has never needed to come off. Indeed, removal of a helmet, during a fight, was outlawed a number of seasons ago.

It was often (not always) taken off as that was the 'right way' to fight. Two guys, simply going at it, to settle whatever difference there is.

29 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

The helmet thing became more prevalent when more players started wearing face masks as well as helmets. The removal of the helmet generally by the aggressor is also to protect hands against damage.  Its now illegal to get into a fight if you have any type of bandage or wrap on your hands. The whole aggression thing is dying down, people like the Swedes and other non U.S. or Canadian players just do not see fighting as part of the culture.

I first started watching live hockey before the Canucks were in the NHL, Western Hockey League games were normally hockey interrupting brawls. I remember one game a Portland winterhawks player named Connie Madigan, attacaked a Canucks player who was smaller and lighter, as they skated to the penalty box the Canuck player picked up his dropped stick, and swung and hit Madigan on the back of the head, you could hear the crack all over the arena, Madigan turned around, shook his head and pointed at the Canuck player obviously warning about the future, stick fights were not all that unusual then 1967/68.  It all stopped when two players one of them Wayne Maki got into a stick swinging episode and Maki ended up with a frac tured skull.

I think but stand to be corrected the helmet rule may apply to removing your own helmet, I know they are often removed accidentally by an opponent during a fight, I am not sure I have seen that penalised.

Edited by bobsharp

11 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

The helmet (since they became mandatory around 1980) has never needed to come off. Indeed, removal of a helmet, during a fight, was outlawed a number of seasons ago.

It was often (not always) taken off as that was the 'right way' to fight. Two guys, simply going at it, to settle whatever difference there is.

Fair do's, I stand corrected then. I knew there was a rule about removing gloves and no sticks. I assumed the helmet was covered by this rule too, as this was what I'd seen in practice, but if that bit was just "gentlemanly conduct"...

It's been an interesting read-through, the above info. Have to put my hands up and say I was wrong about the sham impression I had due to regularlity and rules applied to fighting. 

8 hours ago, Bring on the Future said:

I'm another Bears fan, watch all the games on Game Pass. If the Tarik Cohen TD that was disallowed for OPI (soft call that) was given, I think we'd have won in normal time. Our recent track record for FG's when it matters though really sucks :(

Yeh, the kicker is pretty accurate until a game winning FG is required.

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I was going to leave you alone however what is poor stick play? Is it just essentially trying to hurt some one with a stick. I assume it’s something that can happen during the course of normal play but the players step in as they know what was intentional and accidental. Hence the players refereeing and dishing out ‘justice’ as opposed to refs all the time?

Using your stick illegally eg using it to slash (ie whack) your opponent, especially across the wrists or back of the ankles, using it to hit the head (a 'check to the head') etc. Most of it isnt particularly malicious and part of the game. Players know the difference though.

As for getting to know the game more, the best thing to do is sit and watch it. After a while, you get used to knowing where the puck is.

51 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Fair do's, I stand corrected then. I knew there was a rule about removing gloves and no sticks. I assumed the helmet was covered by this rule too, as this was what I'd seen in practice, but if that bit was just "gentlemanly conduct"...

It's been an interesting read-through, the above info. Have to put my hands up and say I was wrong about the sham impression I had due to regularlity and rules applied to fighting. 

No bother. Certainly give those documentaries a watch. Ice Guardians, in particular, is a fascinating insight.

Edited by Chester™

I love AF, The Redskins are my team. RJR  'The Diesel' and Darrell Green were my favourite players. 

Soft spot for the Browns and the old Oilers. 

Like Ice Hockey too. 

Edited by ri Alban

I’ve got into it the last couple of years. Like BBC’s coverage. Osi and J Bell are always watchable and Chappers is decent 

54 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’ve just watched the ice guardians as recommended by Chester. Good documentary and worth a watch.

A few thoughts......

**** me those guys can bang. I didn’t realise what the fights were like. I didn’t realise ko’s were being dished out on the ice. It’s pretty brutal

There is undoubtably a technique to fighting on ice. Jeez a lot of them seemed to be training fighting as much hockey.

It looks like like one of the toughest sports I have ever seen. I didn’t realise they skate at 30-35mph that’s a hit to take.

Interesting to see players take on fighting. It’s definetly a bit self governing in some ways or used to be. I can kind of get the principal but part of me thinks it just because an arms race to get your advantage. 

I found it strange some leagues fighting was welcomed (us and uk) Whilst Sweden or other countries that doesn’t fly. 

The reasons for fighting are still difficult to understand fot a non follower. I found it strange how many fights just started at kickoff/restart/puck off guys just threw gloves and start. I get there must have been a reason. However, all of sudden 3/4 guys throwing gloves down so they can throw down undoubtably gives it a staged appearance.

it left me thinking a lot more to hockey than thought. 

Fighting, maybe not now, was clearly a big part of the sport and appeal to a section of the fans. 

I forgot about the film slap slap shot I’m going to watch that again!

Its one tough sport.

Im defo going to try and watch a few games to see if get it. 

Goon is so crap it's good. 

Edited by ri Alban

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I’ve just watched the ice guardians as recommended by Chester. Good documentary and worth a watch.

You should watch The Last Gladiators, it should be on Netflix as well, or it certainly was. It's very human in that the film is mainly about Chris Nilam, and the toll it took on him during, and more importantly after, his career. 

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You should watch The Last Gladiators, it should be on Netflix as well, or it certainly was. It's very human in that the film is mainly about Chris Nilam, and the toll it took on him during, and more importantly after, his career. 

Unfortunately got removed from Netflix UK months ago.

Though as much as I'm a huge fan of Alex Gibney documentaries, and that one in particular, I'd say Ice Guardians is the better of the two.

Edited by Chester™

Just now, Lord BJ said:

Without wanting ruin the documentary is about the concussion issue?

Not really.

More focused on one player in particular, Chris 'Knuckles' Nilan, and how fighting took its toll on his wider life and health. Touches on others here and there too.

luckyBatistuta
On 14/10/2018 at 20:54, peter_hmfc said:

As a side note, American football is utter utter shite.

Worst sport in the world.

11 hours ago, been here before said:

American football is watchable shite. Golf, tennis, cricket, snooker and basketball are unwatchable shit sports.

307BB157-1E11-42AD-9E35-C7FEDADF523C.gif

luckyBatistuta

Brilliant sport, can’t get enough of it. Only problem with it, is that it takes what seems like an eternity for the season to start again. 

Watched the odd bits of games but I’ve no idea what’s going on. I have however got a Texas A+M top that I was given by my old may as they are similar maroon colour to the famous. 

Edited by Irufushi

J.T.F.Robertson

Great game. Admittedly it takes a bit of effort to get into it but once you do, you'll love it. Like any sport, having a team makes a huge difference.

I've been to see the big 4 live in the last year and it was my first time watching a live NBA game (Wizards vs Hawks). Thoroughly enjoyed it. There was much more to take in than what a lot of people see as "you score, we score" procession of basketball. You can actually see teams playing out particular plays or enforcing certain tactics, which I've not noticed when watching televised games. As for the NFL, I finally got a chance to see the Redskins (good guys team of choice) at Fed Ex field albeit they lost. Again as with basketball there is much more to take in and it's pretty impressive to see just where the QBs start throwing the ball (which looks like it's miles away from a player) and where it's caught. There are a lot of stoppages but when you're at the game they have plenty of things going on during the stoppages from cheerleaders to highlights from other games that you don't really notice it too much. As for hockey, got to see my team (Capitals) winning two games against the Oilers and the Penguins and during their Stanley cup winning season. I love ice hockey and while I understand that it can be hard (mainly on tv) to follow the puck, when you're live at a game it is much easier to follow it. Went to the ice hockey with five friends, 4 of whom had never been to a game and they all enjoyed it and they also did mention it being easier to follow at the game. As has been previously stated the fighting in the NHL is become less frequent. A lot of the time it comes around due to a particular incident that maybe happened earlier on in the game or even at a previous game. The fans do love it. I don't think it will ever completely disappear as sometimes the officials do miss some dirty plays and it's on those occasions that teams will send out their "enforcer" to sort it out. And I think most fans would expect that. I presume that a lot of the people on here are from in and around Edinburgh and with the Edinburgh Capitals folding it makes it difficult but if you can get to a EIHL game ( Fife Flyers, Dundee Stars and Glasgow Clan are the nearest) then I would definitely recommend it. Yes, it's nowhere near as good or as fast as the NHL but it's enjoyable and a good introduction to the sport, plus there are plenty of players who have played or been drafted to the NHL so the standard is pretty good.

Bridge of Djoum
On 14/10/2018 at 15:54, peter_hmfc said:

As a side note, American football is utter utter shite.

Worst sport in the world.

Sakes man. Your bitterness regarding things you've no knowledge of is hilarious.

Bengals for my sins.

Getting back into it after being away from it for a couple of decades - The Channel 4 glory years of Boomer Esiason and the Ickey shuffle.

Takes work to get a handle on things at the outset but as previously mentioned as much a tactical/strategic contest as it is a physical one.

17 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

As an aside love NFL, think it’s an amazing sport. Unfortunately for my sins I support the raiders who have probably be the second worst team in NFL for about 20 years. 

Gruden can go and **** himself, I have seen little evidence he does anything other than talk a great game.

Went to my fist NFL game last year. Amazing experience and probably the best sporting event I have been to and I have been to a lot. 

NFL is a sport which I think works much better live. The athletes these guys are amazing it’s the 1% of the 1% stuff.

At least the Raiders offered a sensible contract to Gruden and not like a really, really, really long one ?

If any proof was needed, the Patriots/Chiefs and 49ers/Packers games showed how epic this sport is. No other sport does drama like American football / NFL.

Does the American public have the same contempt for these massive salaries that we Brits tend to have for footballers, or are they a bit more relaxed about it?

J.T.F.Robertson
31 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Does the American public have the same contempt for these massive salaries that we Brits tend to have for footballers, or are they a bit more relaxed about it?

Not to my knowledge. I think it's obscene, but then I probably still fit the "we Brits" category. 

27 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think it must be generally accepted that to get the best you have to pay for it. I can certainly say I have heard less about "and for that he gets paid millions of dollars" compared to my nineteen fifties, after getting soaked standing on an open terrace, watching Hearts lose badly  and hearing comments such as " didye watch that Currie eedjit, and he's getting five pounds a week for that". American and Canadian sports are more of a night out situation, most of the bigger arenas have bars, restaurants, beer sales by people with a tray of beer for sale ,  snack bars, stores where you can by team souvenirs, caps jerseys etc, most are  well covered and have reasonably comfortable seating with minimum seats having restricted views. Population helps of course and crowds are large.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not from my experience. Major league sports is one of the few areas people can actually achieve the American dream (ie becoming wealthy and successful despite coming from nothing). 

Cheers guys. 

Interesting stuff. I imagine the top guys are very well paid but outside the pro leagues it’s a different story (so it really is just the elite that coin it in)

8 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Cheers guys. 

Interesting stuff. I imagine the top guys are very well paid but outside the pro leagues it’s a different story (so it really is just the elite that coin it in)

Just don't get injured. 

12 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Cheers guys. 

Outside the pro leagues...people aren’t getting paid! 

You’ve got the NFL where you might have one guy getting £20M per year lining up alongside a dozen teammates on “only” about half a million. In the Arena league, the salaries are pretty low.

No one gets “officially” paid when playing in college. 

1 hour ago, Peebo said:

Outside the pro leagues...people aren’t getting paid! 

You’ve got the NFL where you might have one guy getting £20M per year lining up alongside a dozen teammates on “only” about half a million. In the Arena league, the salaries are pretty low.

No one gets “officially” paid when playing in college. 

I knew the college footballers were officially unpaid but the coaches earn a fortune. 

Considering the money generated, that seems harsh. 

Having said that, I expect they get their fees paid for on scholarships. 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

I knew the college footballers were officially unpaid but the coaches earn a fortune. 

Considering the money generated, that seems harsh. 

Having said that, I expect they get their fees paid for on scholarships. 

Scholarships and backhanders!

The top college coaches earn more than than many NFL coaches. 

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Just don't get injured. 

I am not sure about football bus suspect they would be similar, hockey players have a pretty good insurance plan, I think either by their union or the league.

12 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I am not sure about football bus suspect they would be similar, hockey players have a pretty good insurance plan, I think either by their union or the league.

If they make the roster their contracts are fine. Get injured without a guarantee I think they're in trouble. I don't know if it has changed tho.