Moving house

Jambo 4 Ever

Jambo 4 Ever

Where would people recommend looking for flats?

in thinking of moving from Hamilton 

but would like to live in or near Edinburgh 

any surrounding areas worth living in?

Shanks said no

Start your search using the ESPC or Zoopla. See what's available with whatever budget you have. Obviously don't know your circumstances but its likely Edinburgh will be an awful lot more expensive than Hamilton.

42 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Where would people recommend looking for flats?

in thinking of moving from Hamilton 

but would like to live in or near Edinburgh 

any surrounding areas worth living in?

I just spoke to someone who is looking for a 2 bed flat in Edinburgh. They don't drive so they need to have decent transport links.

Long story short they can't find **** all.

Shanks said no

Where do you want to get the train to?

Peebo is right if you are trying to get the train back west. Alternative is on the Bathgate line if getting to Airdrie / Glasgow is enough. That then opens up Uphall, Livingston and Bathgate.

If its just any train station then possibly South Gyle although you would be pushing your budget - 1 bed =£695pcm

SwindonJambo

Any town in West Lothian with a station on either the Glasgow-Airdrie- Edinburgh line or Glasgow-Shotts-Edinburgh line should surely be much cheaper than Edinburgh. Both lines have frequent services and the Shotts line is in the process of being electrified.

Still likely to be dearer than Hamilton, my original hometown. I grew up in Silvertonhill.

Edited by SwindonJambo

Jambo 4 Ever

Cheers all

what are the best websites to search on?

i was looking at Linlithgow too but will also check out places on the Shotts line like livingston, Kirk newton and Fauldhouse etc 

11 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Any town in West Lothian with a station on either the Glasgow-Airdrie- Edinburgh line or Glasgow-Shotts-Edinburgh line should surely be much cheaper than Edinburgh. Both lines have frequent services and the Shotts line is in the process of being electrified.

Still likely to be dearer than Hamilton, my original hometown. I grew up in Silvertonhill.

West Lothian prices are through the roof.

Easy access to Edinburgh/glasgow/stirling etc. make  it a good option for a lot of people.

The old british leyland factory in Bathgate has  thousands of new house's built.

There is now a large Edinburgh contingent (cant afford the city moved in)

We even have hibs fans in town these days ffs ?

However 4 trains an hour,20 mins to haymarket.

40 mins to the weeg if your that way inclined.

1 minute ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Cheers all

i was looking at Linlithgow too but will also check out places on the Shotts line like livingston, Kirk newton and Fauldhouse etc 

Fauldhouse has snow 11 monhs of  the year,really bad in the winter,

Shanks said no
3 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Cheers all

Zoopla has a search function where you can draw an area on a map, for example round Livi North train station, 2 bed there is about £600pcm

Shanks said no
1 minute ago, Tott said:

Fauldhouse has snow 11 monhs of  the year,really bad in the winter,

Beat me to it, not sure I would leave Hamilton to go to Fauldhouse and the girl I know from there talks about "incomers" all the time

SwindonJambo
13 minutes ago, Tott said:

Easy access to Edinburgh/glasgow/stirling etc. make  it a good option for a lot of people.

The old british leyland factory in Bathgate has  thousands of new house's built.

Oops - I gladly stand corrected. Joining up the gap in the  line between Airdrie and Bathgate then electrifying the Route has been an excellent move.

For rail Links, the coming thing has to be the Shotts line. Previously a tatty treacle slow shambles which only narrowly avoided the Beeching/Marples Axe in the 60s , it’s been greatly improved in the last few years and will be even better once electrified. 

Edit - just noticed JiH is already on the case. Hamilton’s not so bad btw, despite the bashing it gets from some on here. I stay with family there whenever North for Hearts games and getting through to Tynie by train is an easy change at Motherwell and cheap  fare too.

Edited by SwindonJambo

2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Beat me to it, not sure I would leave Hamilton to go to Fauldhouse and the girl I know from there talks about "incomers" all the time

Most west Lothian  Towns have incomer problems.

Livi and Bathgate are too big for anybody too care.

Good luck in the surrounding villages though.

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Cheers all

ESPC website is best for Edinburgh areas 

chester copperpot
6 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Cheers all

Please do not pick Airdrie. Please!

9 hours ago, Tott said:

I moved there 5 years ago, got a three bedroom end terraced house for 3k more than a colleague bought a 2 bedroom flat in Niddrie 

Still trying to figure out where the Bathgate Hearts supporters club is 

The Real Maroonblood

Avoid Grant Management to rent.

An horrendous company to rent from.

Not my own personal experience but a friends.

Inverkeithing is good 98% of trains stop there going north. There are night buses from Edinburgh. 

Ideal for going North or to Glasgow via Kincardine.

Good chippy there were 8 pubs but unsure now maybe 5.

A couple of Bakers.

Out with rush hour only 25 minutes by car.

7 hours ago, Bozi said:

Still trying to figure out where the Bathgate Hearts supporters club is 

When they do run a bus ( usually only for the bigger games these days) it leaves from the railway tavern.

9 minutes ago, Tott said:

When they do run a bus ( usually only for the bigger games these days) it leaves from the railway tavern.

Used to be the Fairway when I was around there. Wasn't great back then, so tended to go with Whitburn & Blackburn instead. Later upgraded to Linlithgow and Bo'Ness :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Dunks said:

Used to be the Fairway when I was around there. Wasn't great back then, so tended to go with Whitburn & Blackburn instead. Later upgraded to Linlithgow and Bo'Ness :thumbsup:

Two buses back in the days when supporters clubs were all the rage.

One ran from the Fairway and the other from the next pub along the road ..The railway.

The railway one still exists (Bathgate & Armadale Hearts  SC)

Mostly semis/cup finals these days though .

Upgrade and bo'ness used in  sentence for first  time ever,jkb  world exclussive ?

1 hour ago, Tott said:

Upgrade and bo'ness used in  sentence for first  time ever,jkb  world exclussive ?

:rofl:

I boarded in Linlithgow 

:verysmug:

John Findlay
4 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

For renting too?

Your nearly 47 years old. It's time to let go of your mum's apron strings.

The_razors_edge

If you want to be within reasonable travelling distance of Edinburgh and in an area where you're less likely to get torn a new arsehole for renting then try Fife. I live in Crossgates and can get to Edinburgh in about 30 mins if I get a good run over in the car. Inverkeithing is a good shout as it has excellent rail and bus links. 

John Findlay
2 hours ago, The_razors_edge said:

If you want to be within reasonable travelling distance of Edinburgh and in an area where you're less likely to get torn a new arsehole for renting then try Fife. I live in Crossgates and can get to Edinburgh in about 30 mins if I get a good run over in the car. Inverkeithing is a good shout as it has excellent rail and bus links. 

So does my sister. Poor you.

On 07/10/2018 at 00:28, Old Castle Rock said:

ESPC website is best for Edinburgh areas 

Moved 14 months ago rightmove is the website with the most coverage nowadays. Particularly outside the city boundary.

Edited by EIEIO
Spelling mistake

Shanks said no
14 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

For renting too?

Well JiH, plenty of help and advice has been given by fellow kickbackers.

Have you had any more ideas about where you want to look?

8 hours ago, The_razors_edge said:

Some good houses in dalgety bay and good links for the bus and train 

The_razors_edge
44 minutes ago, Husky said:

Some good houses in dalgety bay and good links for the bus and train 

True. Although in my experience dalgety bay is a wee bit more expensive than the likes of inverkeithing and crossgates. Great place to live and bring up a family though

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Well JiH, plenty of help and advice has been given by fellow kickbackers.

Have you had any more ideas about where you want to look?

Thanks to all who have helped with advice so far

thinking of doing what someone said ealier and look at Dalry or Gorgie or fountain park areas...

7 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

If this where’ you live?

I live in North Berwick.

Sunny Dunny is a good little town on the way up.

I saw hipsters drinking coffee there the other day.

It has good schools, amenity and transport links.

1 hour ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Thanks 

Will check some of these out.

foes anyone here live in Polwarth? Any good?

Polwarth is a good area. Like Dalry and Fountainbridge (all adjacent), they are near Haymarket. 

If you have £700 to spend on rent, want to live in Edinburgh and near a station, look in those three areas. Depends on circumstances, of course. Many of the ex-Edinburgh alternatives mentioned are good if you need more than a one bedroom flat...

The Old Tolbooth

Another shout for Fife, been in Rosyth for 11 years now and it's absolutely fine, you can rent for half the price of Edinburgh and be near to train stations (Rosyth, Inverkeithing, Dunfermline etc) which are all easily accessible for Edinburgh, plus an off peak return to Edinburgh is only around a fiver. 

Jambo 4 Ever
8 hours ago, Peebo said:

Polwarth is a good area. Like Dalry and Fountainbridge (all adjacent), they are near Haymarket. 

If you have £700 to spend on rent, want to live in Edinburgh and near a station, look in those three areas. Depends on circumstances, of course. Many of the ex-Edinburgh alternatives mentioned are good if you need more than a one bedroom flat...

Thanks 

On 07/10/2018 at 00:24, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Cheers all

Have a wee look at Albany Lettings in Bruntsfield.

Don’t have a wee look at Trinity Factors in Bruntsfield.

One word of warning about Gorgie, if you have yo go anywhere on match day DO NOT take your car. 

I lives in Wardlaw for a while and had to go pick my nephew up for games and could never get parked again. 

Now I live in Bathgate I wreak horrible revenge by coming through early and parking as close up to my old gaff as possible 

Blackford Hearts

ESPC is an alternative to CityLets offering flats for rent as well as to buy.

What are you looking for size wise? 

On 10/10/2018 at 17:42, Blackford Hearts said:

ESPC is an alternative to CityLets offering flats for rent as well as to buy.

What are you looking for size wise? 

Cheers

1 bedroom probably 

On 12/10/2018 at 11:49, TheStig said:

£700 on rent ouch! That would nearly cover my mortgage for 2 months. Have you thought about buying?

Fair point but plan to rent for a tear to see if I like the near area first, then I’ll look yp buy.

at the moment I’m looking at a flat in Gorgie, in Sighthill, near the Gyle, Polwarth or fountain bridge and trying to work out with is best area to live in

1 minute ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Fair point but plan to rent for a tear to see if I like the near area first, then I’ll look yp buy.

at the moment I’m looking at a flat in Gorgie, in Sighthill, near the Gyle, Polwarth or fountain bridge and trying to work out with is best area to live in

You should give wester hailes a look or the calders.