A Sign of How Far We Have Come

JJ93

You’re leading the game 1-0 for 70 minutes, and then Hibs get a penalty and score. Hibs pack the midfield and stifle the game. You turn to the bench... I’d want to see Milinkovic sitting there, as opposed to Amankwaa or any of our other subs, and that’s purely down to the fact he isn’t a ‘hit the byline’ winger, he’s more of a maverick type attacking player, and you know that in that last twenty minutes he’ll work his absolute socks off and either grab a goal, or unlock the defence for someone else to.

I personally think Milinkovic really stood out last season because our other options were limited and we were weak all over the park. Granted, he scored some good goals but when he started I felt he was less effective than when he came off the bench. My issue with him was that I couldn't really work out what position he was best suited to. Maybe he would have scored more this season running off Uche. He went were the money was, which is fine, that is his career choice but there is a lot to be said for being happy in your work. He has barely played for Hull and having visited family there several times, it has none of the quality of living that Edinburgh offers. With our signings this year, he wont be missed. I was a bit gutted when it was announced he was going to Hull but that memory has well and truly been diluted with the other acquisitions over the summer.  Good luck "The Malinkovic", to talk about one's self in the third person should only be reserved for true greatness. I wouldn't class sitting on the bench at Hull as worthy of that accolade...

16 minutes ago, Bez said:

You’re leading the game 1-0 for 70 minutes, and then Hibs get a penalty and score. Hibs pack the midfield and stifle the game. You turn to the bench... I’d want to see Milinkovic sitting there, as opposed to Amankwaa or any of our other subs, and that’s purely down to the fact he isn’t a ‘hit the byline’ winger, he’s more of a maverick type attacking player, and you know that in that last twenty minutes he’ll work his absolute socks off and either grab a goal, or unlock the defence for someone else to.

I agree. But skinny wouldn’t want to sit on the bench

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

I agree. But skinny wouldn’t want to sit on the bench

That’s true. He’d just have to make himself undroppable then.

:jjyay: 

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

So you disagree that the likes of Milinkovic, Walker etc took the wrong career path by listening to their agents whose only interest is getting their cut from any deal ?

I’ve no idea what sort of advice either of these players received from their agent, and what they did or didn’t listen to.

13 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

I suppose the Lafferty money has brought others to the club, but he did bring a feel good factor to Tynecastle. in the end though I feel you will be right

Worked like a bear too, which is worth something.  I won't slag him off, and hope he does well in his career, but yes, he'd be a squad player only in the current team.

1 hour ago, communist said:

I'll hold my hands up and say I was one of those who would've liked him to stay. He was one of our most exciting players last season and I loved watching him. Happy to be proved wrong however, and CL has made some cracking signings. Not looked forward to a Hearts V Livingston home match in quite some time! 

HHGH.

We would have signed him but he got a better offer . Fair enough .

Not sure who we would then have missed out on ?

I thought he brought energy to the team and would have been happy to sign him .

But we are now more potent going forward so no huge loss 

13 hours ago, Spellczech said:

In truth Levein used him quite sparingly, and seldom away from home...He was good in a poor team, same as Lafferty. Now that the team is better, we are not really missing individuals...

Think Levein could see through his flaws tbh.

The biggest one not carrying out the managers instructions on the park !!!

Hindsight is a great thing.  Last season our attack was a bit one dimensional and predictable.  Milink gave us a bit of variety in the way he floated around the front and in some games was hard to mark.  Lafferty was our top scorer by a distance.  Without knowing the variety and goal threat we now have it was a reasonable desire to have both of these players in Maroon again this season.  

2 hours ago, Bez said:

Said before he could be turned into an attacking cm. He was unpredictable and difficult to play against, not short of trickery for beating players in a congested part of the pitch. 

2 hours ago, Bez said:

You lost all credibility for your argument by suggesting that Hibs would get an equaliser against us.

Perhaps Barcelona in the Champions League would have been a better choice.

?

11 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Said before he could be turned into an attacking cm. He was unpredictable and difficult to play against, not short of trickery for beating players in a congested part of the pitch. 

That’s where he was most effective. He worked like a dog to close opposition players down and win the ball, then he had one thing on his mind and that was to dance through the middle of the field to either have a shot or play a team mate in.

4 minutes ago, corryjambo said:

You lost all credibility for your argument by suggesting that Hibs would get an equaliser against us.

Perhaps Barcelona in the Champions League would have been a better choice.

?

:D

Munny-spinnerz tho.

I thought that he was a good player and I reckon he would’ve done well for us this season but I never got the feeling that Levein was a huge fan.

CL was talking today about how much he trusts his players but I don’t think he trusted Milinkovic 100%. 

Dave could have gone on to have the same sort of impact as suso, there were a lot of similarities. Unfortunately things didn't work out so we will never know, good luck to the guy, he got offered a good deal in England so you can't blame him for taking it.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill said:

I thought that he was a good player and I reckon he would’ve done well for us this season but I never got the feeling that Levein was a huge fan.

CL was talking today about how much he trusts his players but I don’t think he trusted Milinkovic 100%. 

Bang on. I also think he would have done well in our revamped side.

I loved his work rate and determination to correct his own mistakes, but Levein didn't necessarily want him popping up at right back trying to win the ball back.

I suspect Clare is seen as the new roving maverick midfielder. We'll see soon enough how he compares.

Honestly I was not bothered that Milinkovic and Lafferty left.

Both had their moments but nothing special in my opinion.Quite a few games where both did nothing of note.

Walker would have been a huge loss if he had kept up his great for from previous seasons into his last year for us.

On the plus side it looks like Hearts are getting Walkers best performances of his career.

9 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Another player badly advised by his agent.

I'm sure he's miserable cashing the Allam family's checks.

He wanted to get paid. He got paid, at the expense of playing time.

Both players were instrumental in the 4-0. I find it impossible to be bitter about this.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

I´d forgotten all about berra! That shows how far we´ve come. Absolute epic time to be a hearts fan...it´s just starting to sink in how good a squad we´ve assembled. Now to overcome any success barriers and power on and start winning everything in sight and angrily so because we damn well deserve to.

Awful decision to join Hull IMO, was nowhere  near ready for the challenges of the championship. Had he signed up up with us it would have been perfect and allowed him another season to build on and work on his consistency. He'll be turfed out of Hull soon enough and go from one club to another with such speed that Pinilla would be jealous. 

We're in a far better position now anyway, I cant say I miss him and I don't honestly think he'd add much that isn't there already. Levein has built a quality squad and i think Milinkovic falls under the high maintenance category of player he has referred to in the past.

8 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Would come back to us in a heartbeat isn't enjoying time in Hull he is already throwing hints on a move back to us.

He's desperate. Still a no.

Screenshot_20180921-072456_Twitter.jpg

14 hours ago, Ugly American said:

I'm sure he's miserable cashing the Allam family's checks.

He wanted to get paid. He got paid, at the expense of playing time.

Both players were instrumental in the 4-0. I find it impossible to be bitter about this.

Not bitter in the slightest.

I just think it's a shame that players let their agents dictate how their career is going to go, just for the sake of a quick financial gain

I’d take him back in a heartbeat. Honestly, it’s not down to ability with this guy, it’s all that other nonsense. He’s a player, and if you added his unpredictable maverick style to our well drilled and finely tuned machine, we’d have the whole package in our squad. Levein would get the best out of him.

Anyway... what’s Pinilla up to these days?

On 20/09/2018 at 12:30, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Meh on Milinkovic. And Lafferty can **** off too. Someone said he brought a feel good factor. Not for me. Even when he was here I thought he was a dick. It's just that he was our dick. We're a better squad with that arsehole gone. 

What a bizarre post. Lafferty was a proven game changer. Already forgotten about 1-0 Celtic game obviously. He wasn’t perfect but Laff is proven quality with a great goals ratio for Hearts

gordon simpson
On 20/09/2018 at 03:30, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Meh on Milinkovic. And Lafferty can **** off too. Someone said he brought a feel good factor. Not for me. Even when he was here I thought he was a dick. It's just that he was our dick. We're a better squad with that arsehole gone. 

could not agree more glad he is away and we got money from sevco for him  they belong together HHGH 

2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

He's desperate. Still a no.

Screenshot_20180921-072456_Twitter.jpg

Reckon we would take him back but on our terms maybe a loan in January good player just a shame he went to Hull Instead.

We could take him back in January on one condition he sacks his agent. Badly advised does not even cover this situation. Anyway Sean Clare will make up for his absence I mean we really are missing him(sarcasm)

On 19/09/2018 at 22:20, Kiwidoug said:

We need to be cautious but the loss of Malinki, Berra, Levein and Lafferty has barely created a ripple.  That is amazing.

Great OP.

Agreed, and that is testament to the good position we are in, the strong team we have running the club on and off the pitch and the excellent recruitment we have done over the summer.

But some on here are adding 2 and 2 and getting 5, I think.

Yes we have coped admirably with the loss of key players.

But just because we have improved after their departure doesn't make these guys not good enough and doesn't mean they wouldn't have added something to the current mix.

I'd happily still have any one of Adao, Milinkovic or Lafferty in our current squad and each would add quality to the playing squad and perhaps options that we do not have at present.

I don't see anyone saying "told you Berra wasn't up to much, look how easily we have coped with his injury"

2 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Agreed, and that is testament to the good position we are in, the strong team we have running the club on and off the pitch and the excellent recruitment we have done over the summer.

But some on here are adding 2 and 2 and getting 5, I think.

Yes we have coped admirably with the loss of key players.

But just because we have improved after their departure doesn't make these guys not good enough and doesn't mean they wouldn't have added something to the current mix.

I'd happily still have any one of Adao, Milinkovic or Lafferty in our current squad and each would add quality to the playing squad and perhaps options that we do not have at present.

I don't see anyone saying "told you Berra wasn't up to much, look how easily we have coped with his injury"

What's amazing to think about is when Berra gets back, Souttar and the WBs will be able to push further up the pitch. What a side that will be!

2 hours ago, Rents said:

We could take him back in January on one condition he sacks his agent. Badly advised does not even cover this situation. Anyway Sean Clare will make up for his absence I mean we really are missing him(sarcasm)

How do you know it was his agent that advised him to join Hull and not Hearts, maybe it was Skinny who pushed for Hull and his agent actually advised him to join Hearts?

Edited by brux

1 hour ago, brux said:

How do you know it was his agent that advised him to join Hull and not Hearts, maybe it was Skinny who pushed for Hull and his agent actually advised him to join Hearts?

Yeh  that could be true also agents are in the game for what is best for players and not their own pockets my mistake.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
6 hours ago, mayfield said:

What a bizarre post. Lafferty was a proven game changer. Already forgotten about 1-0 Celtic game obviously. He wasn’t perfect but Laff is proven quality with a great goals ratio for Hearts

Yes, good player for us no doubt. But I could never take to him. Never felt like one of us. Glad to see the back of him tbh. He's where he belongs now. 

1 hour ago, Rents said:

Yeh  that could be true also agents are in the game for what is best for players and not their own pockets my mistake.

So you are guessing then to fit in with any agenda you may have?

On 21 September 2018 at 17:08, brux said:

So you are guessing then to fit in with any agenda you may have?

Correct based on knowledge over the years of how agents work.

Most Hearts fans I talk with accept that Milinkovic's agent played us if you want to believe it was Milinkovic you go ahead.

Back on topic we could have done with him yesterday.