A Sign of How Far We Have Come

JJ93

It wasn't that long ago when we were praying for Milinkivic to be signed permanently and gutted when he left. Now he isn't even getting on the bench for Hull and I bet the majority of us wouldn't care if we had him or not. The same can be said for Lafferty.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/ex-hearts-winger-david-milinkovic-vows-to-save-hull-career-1-4802539

I suppose the Lafferty money has brought others to the club, but he did bring a feel good factor to Tynecastle. in the end though I feel you will be right

Bazzas right boot

Tbh, I called that one without the benifit of hindsight.

No where good as some made out, but would still be OK in our squad. 

Some wanted him over Naismith as a priority. ?

Can't really remember many games where he was close to man of the match (Celtic 4-0 game maybe). For me he was overrated by most fans but he had potential. 

In truth Levein used him quite sparingly, and seldom away from home...He was good in a poor team, same as Lafferty. Now that the team is better, we are not really missing individuals...

We need to be cautious but the loss of Malinki, Berra, Levein and Lafferty has barely created a ripple.  That is amazing.

Great OP.

31 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Tbh, I called that one without the benifit of hindsight.

No where good as some made out, but would still be OK in our squad. 

Some wanted him over Naismith as a priority. ?

The gushing praise for Milinkovic was baffling to me. I always felt he was distinctly ordinary. 

Lafferty scored a number of crucial goals for us. Naismith would be the real loss. Mind you I thought that about Berra....

38 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

He’s kind of proved hinself to be a bit  of a badge kissing mercenary dick hasn’t he?

And one who seems to have started referring to himself in the third person...   :muggy:

will-i-am-a-jambo
41 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

And one who seems to have started referring to himself in the third person...   :muggy:

Thought my eyes were deceiving me when l read that - very Billy Davies-esque if you ask me! What kind of weirdo does that?!

Didn't have a good feeling at the end, but watching the highlights of the 4-0 again he was enormous in that game, which puts him well below "legend status" but certainly "hero for a day."

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Meh on Milinkovic. And Lafferty can **** off too. Someone said he brought a feel good factor. Not for me. Even when he was here I thought he was a dick. It's just that he was our dick. We're a better squad with that arsehole gone. 

I never really understood the hype with Milinkovic but I suspect that folk were just desperately looking for a hero that they got swept away by the slightest hint of one.  He had a couple of good games and had potential but he was a stop gap and no more.

I was actually very surprised that he got a move to England.

As for Lafferty, he was always heading for Ibrox.  His loss and thanks for the goals but it barely registered with me.

Brighton Jambo

I was never convinced by Milikcovic and like a few other posters didn’t see why others were so bothered about him re-signing.  Then I was accused on here of having that view as part of anti Craig Levein conspiracy where we would all turn on him when Milincovic wasn’t signed and we were doing badly.  Amongst the many pluses of our good start is some of our more annoying fans have disappeared from JKB!!  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

8 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

And one who seems to have started referring to himself in the third person...   

Bizarre behaviour so it is. That and the “god is great” stuff.

He is a decent player lets all be honest. We’ve moved on and he’s got what looks to be a real battle on his hands. I read it was a chairman’s signing which looks right as he’s not even near the bench.

he will be away in January. At least he’s got the 3 year deal down there

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
17 minutes ago, Bez said:

Loved Milinkovic. Think he’d give us the option of something different in today’s squad too.

no mate we're better off without him (and lafferty), I'm pleased Berra is injured too

the original point of the squad being so good that we're doing really well without them is down to the fairly predictable outcome that levein would use the money wisely and fill the gaps 

some know-alls wanted alan Archibald spending that money -yup alan Archibald 

:lol:

Milinkovic was good fun last year in a team that had little in the way of attacking flair.  I feel much the same way about Lafferty, too. 

This season's team is much more of a team.  Yes, there are very good individuals in it, but they don't appear to be in the 'look at me look at me' bracket.

And, as noted above, when you start talking about yourself in the third person, Haken believes that you have lost the plot.

Milinkovic has some great outings for us last year, but I struggled to see where he was going to fit into Levein’s long term plans.

I wish we still had Lafferty, but we appear to be putting the transfer fee, and freed-up wages, to good use. 

11 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Another player badly advised by his agent.

This seems to be the automatic assessment on here when a player struggles to make an impact at a new club. 

Further evidence that alot of players enjoy their best days at Hearts. He was bang in form, scoring goals, loved by the fans, living in Edinburgh, now his career has stalled and is living in Hull.

I understand that the money has to be chased, but career wise more often than not going down south doesn’t work out.

47 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

no mate we're better off without him (and lafferty), I'm pleased Berra is injured too

the original point of the squad being so good that we're doing really well without them is down to the fairly predictable outcome that levein would use the money wisely and fill the gaps 

some know-alls wanted alan Archibald spending that money -yup alan Archibald 

:lol:

You’re pleased Berra is injured????

Really?

highlandjambo3
4 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

He made his bed so can away lay In it while we've moved on bigger and better 

Bet he is gutted looking at where we are now.

5 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Bet he is gutted looking at where we are now.

He will look at his pay cheque and smile, but where will his next move land him?

A good player who was badly advised. Bet he wishes he was here now. Interesting to see where he lands up next. Got a feeling Hull will be anxious to unload him ASAP.

37 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Really?

I know I blinked at that comment in an otherwise reasonable post.

I'm sure he didn't mean it literally ☺

40 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Really?

Thought I'd misread that comment or it was a strange attempt at humour .

Perhaps the poster is a contrarian or , maybe , just an attention seeker ?

Bizarre post of the year contender , sorry , winner

1 hour ago, Peebo said:

This seems to be the automatic assessment on here when a player struggles to make an impact at a new club. 

So you disagree that the likes of Milinkovic, Walker etc took the wrong career path by listening to their agents whose only interest is getting their cut from any deal ?

Can't blame him for wanting to try his luck in England. 

We're not missing him but his contribution last year was pretty good and i was sad we couldn't hold onto him. He's a good guy.

Tough titties Skinny - you had your chance. 

Tough titties Laff, you also had your chance of winning a title... instead you chose mid-table mediocrity and pumpings in Europe. :verysmug:

LOVE where we are just now.

Re Berra - maybe bad choice of wording but I’m presuming he means that Berra being injured has really given souttar a shot in the arm and he’s improved his game as a result.

Imagine when Berra comes back that Souttar is as good as or better than berra due to the extra responsibility and experience - our defence will be a completely impenetrable unit....

33 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

How opinions change when a player has the cheek to leave our club

Not just us. Sheffield Wednesday's fans were doing some great backtracking this week, and the Rangers fans have discovered a whole new emotion this summer, forgiveness, that they never knew they had in them. Quite the revelation for a club whose previous incarnation was built solely on hate...

Edited by Spellczech

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
9 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Re Berra - maybe bad choice of wording but I’m presuming he means that Berra being injured has really given souttar a shot in the arm and he’s improved his game as a result.

Imagine when Berra comes back that Souttar is as good as or better than berra due to the extra responsibility and experience - our defence will be a completely impenetrable unit....

yes very bad choice of words

what I meant was I'm glad Berra is unavailable as like milinkovic and lafferty he can't be that great as we are doing so well without him (following standard logic for the thread)

:)

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
55 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Thought I'd misread that comment or it was a strange attempt at humour .

Perhaps the poster is a contrarian or , maybe , just an attention seeker ?

Bizarre post of the year contender , sorry , winner

apologies John Thomas bad choice of words 

i hope me inadvertently getting a bit of attention doesn't affect your day too much

4 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

apologies John Thomas bad choice of words 

i hope me inadvertently getting a bit of attention doesn't affect your day too much

It certainly has , hope you are suitably ashamed !

Talking of how far we’ve come, my recommended on YouTube is full of videos from when hearts needed to win every game to stay in the Premiership, to think that was already 5 years ago! 

I'll hold my hands up and say I was one of those who would've liked him to stay. He was one of our most exciting players last season and I loved watching him. Happy to be proved wrong however, and CL has made some cracking signings. Not looked forward to a Hearts V Livingston home match in quite some time! 

HHGH.