Need to get Souttar on a new contract

Heartsmad13

I would like to think that he will show some loyalty to both us and Craig.

I'm sure he will listen very carefully to everything Craig has to say to him.

He is still very young for a CH.

7 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I don't understand why folks are so panicky about Souttar's contact situation? He has almost 2 years left on his current contract. He has a great relationship with Levein. So do his parents. He is only 21 which is young for a CB. He is still developing. He is well aware of the risks that poor player management can result in - as he's experienced it firsthand...

Unfortunately football has changed.  18 months on a contract means months of speculation in media.  We've see it with Sow, Paterson, Walker in the past few seasons.  18 months is the crucial time to get a new deal sorted in my opinion, after that the agents, media start to get in players heads and the ball is in there court.  I agree and think Souttar is very sensible and well guided lad, i'm pretty positive he will sign a new deal before end of season but suspect it will have a minimum release clause.

29 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Unfortunately football has changed.  18 months on a contract means months of speculation in media.  We've see it with Sow, Paterson, Walker in the past few seasons.  18 months is the crucial time to get a new deal sorted in my opinion, after that the agents, media start to get in players heads and the ball is in there court.  I agree and think Souttar is very sensible and well guided lad, i'm pretty positive he will sign a new deal before end of season but suspect it will have a minimum release clause.

But my point is that you cannot take a generalisation and apply it to Souttar's situation. Souttar and his parents will know that Levein has a plan for John Souttar's career, and that plan is far better and more influential than any agent or the media. I have never been less concerned that a player will do the dirty on Hearts...

Souttar also has the careers and advice of Berra and Naismith should be wish it and neither of them will advise him to leave on a free at 22 and risk being benched because there was no "investment/transfer fee" spent on him. The worst thing you can do is be cheap labour in England. Makes you a squad filler.

Edited by Spellczech

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

But my point is that you cannot take a generalisation and apply it to Souttar's situation. Souttar and his parents will know that Levein has a plan for John Souttar's career, and that plan is far better and more influential than any agent or the media. I have never been less concerned that a player will do the dirty on Hearts...

Souttar also has the careers and advice of Berra and Naismith should be wish it and neither of them will advise him to leave on a free at 22 and risk being benched because there was no "investment/transfer fee" spent on him. The worst thing you can do is be cheap labour in England. Makes you a squad filler.

I think you can, there is not much loyalty in football these days - both from player and club.  We've had players come through youth teams who are diehard Hearts fans that have run down their contracts to sign for teams down south.  The money down there is life changing and I don't begrudge players wanting the move.  Hopefully the cases of Walker, Cumming, Nicholson will act as a timely reminder to John that it can be a risk.  But my point is that the ball is currently in Hearts court to get best possible deal for both parties.  Once we get to the 18 month mark then the power turns around to player/agent. 

So Make Some Noise..

Would be very surprised if we got him on a new deal. A solid season with more caps and he'll more than likely go down the same path as McGinn did and be off next Summer with 12 months left on contract. Crucial part is that we do the same as hibs and stand strong on our value.

1 minute ago, So Make Some Noise.. said:

Would be very surprised if we got him on a new deal. A solid season with more caps and he'll more than likely go down the same path as McGinn did and be off next Summer with 12 months left on contract. Crucial part is that we do the same as hibs and stand strong on our value.

Normally I would agree . Could be wrong but think Souttar is not your average footballer (personality wise) .

I think he will extend his contract . Obviously he will go eventually

So Make Some Noise..
2 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Normally I would agree . Could be wrong but think Souttar is not your average footballer (personality wise) . 

I think he will extend his contract . Obviously he will go eventually

It's more the unavoidable SFA pressure of playing 'at the highest level' to keep his place in the international team I'm concerned with. Agree he's a sensible lad though. Ideally another 2 years on his deal takes him to 24, by which time you'd like to think he's developed into someone that can walk into a lower end Premiership team with 30+ caps under his belt and having continued to work with Berra and Levein who undoubtably have helped him.

Just read that aston villa are looking at other players  in scotland . Id strongly imagine soapy is one.  It said that mckenna  from aberdeen  was valued at7m so hope hearts are thinking on these lines when he goes.  Dont know if there is a sell on clause from dundee united 

5 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I don't understand why folks are so panicky about Souttar's contact situation? He has almost 2 years left on his current contract. He has a great relationship with Levein. So do his parents. He is only 21 which is young for a CB. He is still developing. He is well aware of the risks that poor player management can result in - as he's experienced it firsthand...

In general, the concern would be that once a key (potentially high value) player is into the 2nd last season of their contract, you're either looking at selling them in the January window, which is disruptive and a difficult time to sign a replacement, or you potentially get a significantly lower transfer fee for the player the following summer because they've only got a year left, and potential buyers might be inclined to wait another year to get the player on a free. The really big transfer fees are only likely to be obtained for players with at least a couple of years left on their contract. 

I think you're right about Souttar though, given how things went at Dundee United, I think he'll see the wisdom of staying at Hearts for a while longer rather than jump at the first chance to go down south, and therefore I'd imagine he'll be happy to sign a new contract, assuming he's offered one in due course that reflects the fact that he's now established himself as one of our top players.