Edinburgh will be Scotlands biggest city within 15 years

CJGJ

Geoff the Mince
4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

as per Evening News

No surprise with the amount of housing being built , shame no one thought to build more Schools and GP surgeries .

also the new housing from Sheriffhall all the way up past Straiton means the bypass ain't a bypass anymore .

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

No surprise with the amount of housing being built , shame no one thought to build more Schools and GP surgeries .

also the new housing from Sheriffhall all the way up past Straiton means the bypass ain't a bypass anymore .

That needs seriously addressed now too not in a few years. The bypass I mean. 

Whoever designed it with two lanes and large parts with no hard shoulder should be birched.

Enormous investment needed in Edinburgh’s infrastructure. 

35 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Whoever designed it with two lanes and large parts with no hard shoulder should be birched.

:spoton:

East Lothian will be Scotlands biggest city judging by the tens of thousands of houses being built from Dunbar right  up to Musselburgh’s west side.

Roads still the same though 

luckyBatistuta
38 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Yup, not fit for purpose now and not enough room to widen the full stretch. Another bypass directly above the existing one please, that’ll do the trick ?

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

East Lothian will be Scotlands biggest city judging by the tens of thousands of houses being built from Dunbar right  up to Musselburgh’s west side.

Roads still the same though 

I know it will get worse the closer you get to Edinburgh but I love living and driving in East Lothian, the roads are mainly great with no traffic jams.

Along the same lines as the bypass comments (100% accurate in my opinion),.. The infrastructure around Edinburgh Airport needs addressed with much urgency.

The airport has taken on quite a number of new routes  and with the Royal Highland showground right next door, summer is a nightmare for taxi/private hire drivers taking customers to/from the airport. 

Took me 2.5 hours a couple of years ago to do a 20 minute drop off from Broxburn to the airport. Thanks to the Royal highland Show. has improved slightly last two years but still absolute joke when you consider it's Scotlands' busiest airport. 

A couple of weeks ago the long term/pick up carpark was so rammed with pick up traffic they had to leave the barriers up as chaos was well on its way. Took 40 minutes to pick up customers. 

If there are no options to improve infrastructure then don't expand. 

Also, lower the parking charges you robbing *******s. Glasgow, £2 pick up, £2 drop off. Easy. 

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

It was designed in the 70s to be fair. ?

4 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Along the same lines as the bypass comments (100% accurate in my opinion),.. The infrastructure around Edinburgh Airport needs addressed with much urgency.

The airport has taken on quite a number of new routes  and with the Royal Highland showground right next door, summer is a nightmare for taxi/private hire drivers taking customers to/from the airport. 

Took me 2.5 hours a couple of years ago to do a 20 minute drop off from Broxburn to the airport. Thanks to the Royal highland Show. has improved slightly last two years but still absolute joke when you consider it's Scotlands' busiest airport. 

A couple of weeks ago the long term/pick up carpark was so rammed with pick up traffic they had to leave the barriers up as chaos was well on its way. Took 40 minutes to pick up customers. 

Also, lower the parking charges you robbing *******s. Glasgow, £2 pick up, £2 drop off. Easy. 

Edinburgh has a free pick up, drop off area.

If you want to use the one right outside the terminal then it is only £1 if you are quick.

Edited by graygo

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

If you want to use the one right outside the terminal then it is only £1 if you are quick.

Apparently pick up at the terminal is now £2.90, still £1 for drop off.

Free area still available at the long stay car park but means passengers need to bus it to the terminal.

Edited by graygo

28 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

I had to take the Mrs to the airport a few weeks ago and got caught up in that :muggy: 

Funnily I got caught in the same situation on exactly the same weekend the year before when we coming back from holiday - something to do with all the Edinburgh Uni students flying in apparently - took us about 2 hours to get a cab, get out of the airport and get home (we live 20 mins along the bypass from Turnhouse!).

The whole bypass/hermiston gait M8 junction/airport road situation is a shambles. 

28 minutes ago, graygo said:

Free area still available at the long stay car park but means passengers need to bus it to the terminal.

£4.00 for first 15 minutes now. 

36 minutes ago, graygo said:

Taxis/private hire can't pick up at the £1.00 drop off as we are monitored for such activity. 

£150.00 fine and banned from drop off for a month. They have traffic wombles enforcing this and use cctv retrospectively. Number plate recognition used to further enforce bans.  

luckyBatistuta
16 minutes ago, graygo said:

£4 bud to pick up, even if you’re only in for 1 minute, ####### rip-off. I’ve had numerous arguments with the guy on the barrier at the £1 drop off. When it’s busy and you can’t move for traffic, or you’re stuck at the pedestrian crossing watching a steady stream of people passing, they still try and hit you for the higher charge as you’ve been in too long. I tell them that it’s not my fault that there setup is inadequate and  if they don’t let me out, I’ll just turn my engine off and sit there all day and then they open the barrier...robbing #####. They really are a desperate bunch running this airport. We get passengers who sometimes want picked up in the drop off and this is a major no no for the airport, because they’ll lose out on £3. The police go around this car park taking drivers details and make them appear in front of the cab inspector for this heinous crime (possibly lose their licence)  The police are doing this, because they are being paid by the airport to enforce a bylaw on private land, the same police force and officers, who are also at the same time receiving money from taxpayers, to protect members of the public and their property…disgusting.

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

£4.00 for first 15 minutes now. 

Taxis/private hire can't pick up at the £1.00 drop off as we are monitored for such activity. 

£150.00 fine and banned from drop off for a month. They have traffic wombles enforcing this and use cctv retrospectively. Number plate recognition used to further enforce bans.  

Yet at the same time, no enforcement of members of the public picking up in the drop off car park.

9 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yet at the same time, no enforcement of members of the public picking up in the drop off car park.

I always pick up in the drop off as it’s cheaper. 

luckyBatistuta
Just now, davemclaren said:

I always pick up in thr drop off as it’s cheaper. 

As a lot of people do, yet I could lose my livelihood for doing the same thing...even if the passenger has requested this as the pickup point.

Seymour M Hersh

I'm not convinced. For as long as I can remember Edinburgh's population has been around 480k and while it may rise I don't see it doubling in size. 

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'm not convinced. For as long as I can remember Edinburgh's population has been around 480k and while it may rise I don't see it doubling in size. 

Its probably closer to 500k now but its the surrounding East, Mid & West lothians along with Fife that are growing rapidly. The whole South East including Edinburgh must be approaching 1.2m or so. 

Just my best guess it must have grown by 50% in the last 30 years & if its the same growth in the next 30 it will be around 1.8m. 

Plus the invaders during the festival. Rammed!

All roads lead to Gorgie
9 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

There should be an airport dedicated dual carriageway from the bypass junction to the airport with an entrance at Ratho Station too. The council want everyone to arrive by tram though so it will be hard for them to approve it in the short term anyway. However, the airport don't seem to be using the old runway, apart from car storage now so perhaps they could run a road there and pay the costs of that section anyway. 

On the bypass, why is it always so busy/gridlocked about 4:00 everyday going Westbound?

I can’t figure it out as it’s the wrong direction for commuters and it surely can’t be the school pick ups etc. It’s often worse than rush hour. 

jack D and coke
26 minutes ago, Shrekeo said:

On the bypass, why is it always so busy/gridlocked about 4:00 everyday going Westbound?

I can’t figure it out as it’s the wrong direction for commuters and it surely can’t be the school pick ups etc. It’s often worse than rush hour. 

It’s the same as rush hour in the morning and christ knows why. Seems to be the straiton and farmilehead junctions that cause it cos once you get past those it tends to clear. 

Same as eastbound at the wrong times, snarled up until you get up the hill and past the Baberton junction. Mysteriously clears after that.

They need to address things quickly with it though, more and more cars and the town getting worse and worse for driving through. Edinburgh looks in trouble for commuters in the next 10 years unless enormous investment is made. 

Edited by jack D and coke

luckyBatistuta
51 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s the same as rush hour in the morning and christ knows why. Seems to be the straiton and farmilehead junctions that cause it cos once you get past those it tends to clear. 

Same as eastbound at the wrong times, snarled up until you get up the hill and past the Baberton junction. Mysteriously clears after that.

They need to address things quickly with it though, more and more cars and the town getting worse and worse for driving through. Edinburgh looks in trouble for commuters in the next 10 years unless enormous investment is made. 

My mates who are traffic cops tell me that it’s the lorries that cause the problems around Baberton, as they can’t get the speed up the hill?

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

My mates who are traffic cops tell me that it’s the lorries that cause the problems around Baberton, as they can’t get the speed up the hill?

Makes sense I suppose. You wonder how though it makes it grind to a complete halt further back and almost makes you think there must be an accident or something then up the hill and it’s clear. 

Seymour M Hersh
10 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

How often do you see these fekkers overtaking another lorry doing 55mph at 58mph. They should be banned from overtaking on the by-pass.

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Makes sense I suppose. You wonder how though it makes it grind to a complete halt further back and almost makes you think there must be an accident or something then up the hill and it’s clear. 

Yup, drives you mad when you see there was nothing there to justify the tailback. When it’s really busy, I always stick to the inside lane until just before an on ramp, then once I’ve passed that, it’s back to the inside lane, normally works a treat.

14 hours ago, Geoff the Mince said:

And all the water needed to build the houses and supply these new houses when they've families living in them all coming from the same few reservoirs, is there any machanism for diverting water to the Edinburgh area from other water sources? 

There are mumblings of having to create a new reservoir or 2 around the North West to cope with demand, even with the ability to bring water from the Lake District. 

luckyBatistuta

Jamie Fraser’s workplace, looks alright considering that large fire.

90B0E766-9353-46D9-99AB-6DA198CE01DE.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yup, drives you mad when you see there was nothing there to justify the tailback. When it’s really busy, I always stick to the inside lane until just before an on ramp, then once I’ve passed that, it’s back to the inside lane, normally works a treat.

There is an engineering term for this (which I can't remember at the moment). We've probably all been in a situation (more likely on the M8) when it's slowed to a halt or virtual halt. And when it speeds up you don't see an accident or broken down vehicle to explain the slow down. This is when this situation comes into play it is caused by someone a few miles up the road cutting in front of another car forcing them to brake. The chain reaction/domino effect of all the other cars behind breaking means stopped traffic a couple of miles further back. 

9 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

There is an engineering term for this (which I can't remember at the moment). We've probably all been in a situation (more likely on the M8) when it's slowed to a halt or virtual halt. And when it speeds up you don't see an accident or broken down vehicle to explain the slow down. This is when this situation comes into play it is caused by someone a few miles up the road cutting in front of another car forcing them to brake. The chain reaction/domino effect of all the other cars behind breaking means stopped traffic a couple of miles further back. 

Phantom or Ghost jams I've heard them described as. 

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Phantom or Ghost jams I've heard them described as. 

I seem to remember it was more technical than those but effectively that what they are.

Stewie Griffin
42 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

How often do you see these fekkers overtaking another lorry doing 55mph at 58mph. They should be banned from overtaking on the by-pass.

100% agree with this 

14 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Spot on. The Bypass is a calamity and it's getting materially worse. It's almost to be avoided at all cost in the morning. Bypass the Bypass therefore 

The amount of new housing being built with absolutely no cognisance of the impact due to lack of transport infrastructure is a real dereliction of duty by those in authority 

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That and the slip road at the top of the hill. Drivers seem incapable of coming on to a road at the best of times but are really bad at that one and everyone slams on the brakes.

luckyBatistuta
12 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

Spot on. The Bypass is a calamity and it's getting materially worse. It's almost to be avoided at all cost in the morning. Bypass the Bypass therefore 

The amount of new housing being built with absolutely no cognisance of the impact due to lack of transport infrastructure is a real dereliction of duty by those in authority 

A double decker bypass would solve the problem

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

It’s madness. You look at the thousands of homes that are being built right along the south side of the city, Wallyford, Tranent, prestonpans etc and no new infrastructure is planned at all to cope with it. No new railways, no extra roads nothing. It’s going to be an absolute nightmare getting around at the rush hour times. 

All the arseholes come up with is things like traffic calming and a 20mph speed limit in town. They should all be sacked for that alone btw. 

:seething: 

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s madness. You look at the thousands of homes that are being built right along the south side of the city, Wallyford, Tranent, prestonpans etc and no new infrastructure is planned at all to cope with it. No new railways, no extra roads nothing. It’s going to be an absolute nightmare getting around at the rush hour times. 

All the arseholes come up with is things like traffic calming and a 20mph speed limit in town. They should all be sacked for that alone btw. 

:seething: 

That’s what happens when you put a ####wit who has never owned a driving licence in charge.

15 hours ago, Geoff the Mince said:

The bypass stopped being a bypass well before those houses were planned. At Rush hour I often need to bypass the bypass if I’m to get anywhere in decent time. 

I know now there’s plans to introduce a flyover at sheriffhall, but that won’t make much of a difference if the old Craighall junction and the other end isn’t revamped. The current route’s from the bypass to over the Forth (in both directions) is a complete joke.