Car tax issue

Muppetboy

My friend bought a second hand car today and was told the previous owner had already paid 30 for the year therefore the car didn’t need taxed. Is this bullshit or does he need to tax it again? There’s no information about who has taxed it when he’s typed in the registration number and the reference number

Just now, Sooperstar said:

What Milky says. Changed in the last couple of years. Free money for the Government when people sell cars and don't reclaim their unused tax.

the refund happens automatically, well a cheque in the post. what they do get is an extra month as only full months get refunded

As others have said he needs to tax it himself. It is taxed to the person and not the car.

Another car question. I bought a second hand car in July. The car was registered in Dec 17 but the garage is telling me the service is due in Oct. Wouldn’t it be Dec? Unless it had done high mileage and it’s not even at 5000. 

16 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the refund happens automatically, well a cheque in the post. what they do get is an extra month as only full months get refunded

Correct, I'm sitting on a cheque for £4 odds from selling my bike earlier this year and because I don't have a local branch it'll probably sit here forever.

DVLA must be making a packet out of lazy gits like me.

9 minutes ago, Helzibob said:

Another car question. I bought a second hand car in July. The car was registered in Dec 17 but the garage is telling me the service is due in Oct. Wouldn’t it be Dec? Unless it had done high mileage and it’s not even at 5000. 

It would depend on the service intervals, which are usually one of: Time, mileage or 'flexible'. 

With 'flexible' the car should display a message to inform you.

Time and mileage are what the manufacturer specify. 

What does it say in the owners manual or service handbook about service intervals.

49 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Ah, that's not so bad then.

21 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

It would depend on the service intervals, which are usually one of: Time, mileage or 'flexible'. 

With 'flexible' the car should display a message to inform you.

Time and mileage are what the manufacturer specify. 

What does it say in the owners manual or service handbook about service intervals.

States 12 months or 10,000 miles. It’s only done 5000 miles and 12 months isn’t till December. Think I’ll call them tomorrow as I’ve had an email and a text saying it’s due October which I just can’t see is right.

2 hours ago, graygo said:

Correct, I'm sitting on a cheque for £4 odds from selling my bike earlier this year and because I don't have a local branch it'll probably sit here forever.

DVLA must be making a packet out of lazy gits like me.

If you are with BoS you can take a photo of the cheque with the app and they will put the money in your account! 

The government will always score out of this now for every single car which doesnt change hands at the end / start of a month.

If I want to sell my car today for example, and i've paid for my tax up till the end of the year, i'll receive a refund for the months of October, November and December.

As we're already in to September, i've had to pay for Septembers tax already and that wont be refunded, in fact, even if i were selling my car on say the 2nd September, that full month is paid for and wont be refunded.

The person who buys the car from me is then obliged to tax the car themselves upon purchase. Despite the fact i'd already have paid for the month of September myself and wont be getting a refund for it, they will then be obliged to tax their new car effective 1st September.

This means that for the month of september, the car has been taxed twice.

In the scheme of things, in the sale of a car, we're talking about small numbers on an individual basis - but if you take each one of those individual months from each sale and add them all up - its a massive massive con.

Quite why the government cant work their system on a day by day pro rata basis in this day and age is beyond me.

If I sell a car on the 15th of the month, i should be refunded 50% of the cost of the tax for that month.

If I buy a car on the 15th of the month, i should only be getting charged 50% of the cost for that month.

There are no excuses for it being the way it is other than to rake in extra money.

14 hours ago, Helzibob said:

States 12 months or 10,000 miles. It’s only done 5000 miles and 12 months isn’t till December. Think I’ll call them tomorrow as I’ve had an email and a text saying it’s due October which I just can’t see is right.

It will be from when car was first registered by the garage. My boss got a new company car a few years back at the start of April (new tax year). When he last went to road tax it online it said no valid MOT. When he eventually dug out the paperwork the car had been registered at the end of February so he'd been driving for a couple of months without MOT

1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

I just pay my tax monthly by direct debit. Think I pay slightly more but it saves a lot of hassle and can be cancelled any time.

5% extra but you still get done with the non refund con of the part month that you cancel.

ps. You don't need to cancel the direct debit, when you notify them of the sale of the vehicle they cancel it for you.

Edited by graygo

3 hours ago, joe.gausden said:

It will be from when car was first registered by the garage. My boss got a new company car a few years back at the start of April (new tax year). When he last went to road tax it online it said no valid MOT. When he eventually dug out the paperwork the car had been registered at the end of February so he'd been driving for a couple of months without MOT

I checked the first registration date online with the DVLA and it shows as Dec. 

I’ll try and call them to check though. 

008FB7D6-C946-44A0-9D35-10814BD28CFD.png

20 minutes ago, Helzibob said:

I checked the first registration date online with the DVLA and it shows as Dec. 

I’ll try and call them to check though. 

008FB7D6-C946-44A0-9D35-10814BD28CFD.png

Tell them to go forth then and get it done in December.

4 hours ago, graygo said:

That’s what I was thinking. I might give them a call and see what they’ve got to say but it’s not due till December as far as I’m concerned. 

12 hours ago, Erik said:

The government will always score out of this now for every single car which doesnt change hands at the end / start of a month.

If I want to sell my car today for example, and i've paid for my tax up till the end of the year, i'll receive a refund for the months of October, November and December.

As we're already in to September, i've had to pay for Septembers tax already and that wont be refunded, in fact, even if i were selling my car on say the 2nd September, that full month is paid for and wont be refunded.

The person who buys the car from me is then obliged to tax the car themselves upon purchase. Despite the fact i'd already have paid for the month of September myself and wont be getting a refund for it, they will then be obliged to tax their new car effective 1st September.

This means that for the month of september, the car has been taxed twice.

In the scheme of things, in the sale of a car, we're talking about small numbers on an individual basis - but if you take each one of those individual months from each sale and add them all up - its a massive massive con.

Quite why the government cant work their system on a day by day pro rata basis in this day and age is beyond me.

If I sell a car on the 15th of the month, i should be refunded 50% of the cost of the tax for that month.

If I buy a car on the 15th of the month, i should only be getting charged 50% of the cost for that month.

There are no excuses for it being the way it is other than to rake in extra money.

I'd go further and say that it shouldn't be refunded based on where you are in a month, it should be based on how many days use you've had. Being of variable lengths, months shouldn't be used to calculate anything where refunds are concerned. 

19 hours ago, graygo said:

Called them. Turns out their system makes a decision on “average mileage” and they assumed I’d be hitting 10,000 even though I bought the car 2 months ago with 4000 miles on the clock. They agreed it’s not due till Dec.