Is this the best squad we’ve ever assembled?

gashauskis9

Was thinking about this last night, when looking at another thread on our best 11.  

Whilst I reckon you could argue that the strongest 11 in 85/86, 97/98 and 05/06 was probably on par if not better, I can’t remember us having this much depth and quality as a squad.  Our subs bench is going to be ridiculous, especially when players come back from injury and Vanacek arrives.

85/86 - no depth.  We were pretty much reliant on fielding the same 11 and same approach each week.

97/98 - no offence, but Grant Murray and Jose Quitongo weren’t in the same league as Weir and Adam.  That said, I see huge similarities in the starting 11 to our current starting 11 in terms of passion, team spirit and determination.

05/06 - no question, the most talented team I’ve ever watched wear the maroon.  However, when Janny and Bednar got injured, we trundled and lost momentum.  In addition, the subs bench for half the season still had Simmons and McCallister. Yes we signed 11 players in January, but most of them were utter keek and didn’t even make the bench half the time.  I dread to think what would have happened that year if Pressley, Hartley and Skacel had missed a number of games.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Peebo

• Enzo Chiefo

• Jammy T

• gashauskis9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brighton Jambo

2005/06 was quite a bit ahead for me, Pospisil, Mikoliunas were on the bench and then when we got Aguiar, Brellier couldn’t get in the team (mostly due to Vlad!). Webster was also available but not being played.  

Some of the January signings were poor but Goncalves was one of them as was Neil McCann.  

And of our current starting 11 Not very many would displace their equivalent in the 2006 team so that seals the deal for me.  

For the fact that we've not had to go millions of pounds into debt to put together this squad and threaten our existence then yes this is the better squad of players since 98. 

Edited by Snedds76

6 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Best team 05/06.... would have won the league if Vlad had not been a nutter.

Those who hero worship VR might do well to remember that 

19 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

2005/06 was quite a bit ahead for me, Pospisil, Mikoliunas were on the bench and then when we got Aguiar, Brellier couldn’t get in the team (mostly due to Vlad!). Webster was also available but not being played.  

Some of the January signings were poor but Goncalves was one of them as was Neil McCann.  

And of our current starting 11 Not very many would displace their equivalent in the 2006 team so that seals the deal for me.  

I think you’ve missed my point.  It isn’t about the starting 11 here it’s about depth and quality of the whole squad and the options available.  I agree, not many would displace the 2006 team (the best I’ve seen), but that side was pretty vulnerable to injuries, suspensions and Vlad-flu.

Hibs last good player just turned 72.  Jimmy O'Rourke and he was really good.  Just thought I'd mention it as he was part of the last good squad they had, around 50 years ago.

Never understand why I suffer abuse on bankdefaulters when I'm always talking them up like this.

Imo this is the strongest squad we've ever had although I know little about the reserve goalie scenario.

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm all for being on the happy train, but some folk are getting way ahead of themselves.

This.

In terms of depth, possibly.  In terms of quality, absolutely not.

Edited by Le Chat

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm all for being on the happy train, but some folk are getting way ahead of themselves.

How?  Did I mention us winning the treble?  Still waiting for someone to point out a stronger squad.

10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Correct

5 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

How?  Did I mention us winning the treble?  Still waiting for someone to point out a stronger squad.

Wait until at least we’re half way through the season to make judgement not after 5 games.

55 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I dread to think what would have happened that year if Pressley, Hartley and Skacel had missed a number of games.

Just think how dangerous we'd be they were in our current starting XI.

Love big Uche, but in two of the seasons you mention, we had strikers who could be considered top class; Robertson and Janny.

Whats interesting about 98, is we had Jim Hamilton up front. He was effective and always scored goals, but he was a journeyman player who wasn’t on the radar of other clubs like his team mates ended up. If we had had Robbo in his prime in that team, and cover for Cameron... who knows... That could have been the league title.

You make a really good point about depth. I think we have more depth. Don’t think the first team are as good quality as the seasons you mention though.

Edited by Bez

You can only compare them to the 2006 and 98 squads after they have won something. 

This is a good squad but the others are remembered for their success.

Depends on how this current team gels, going on technical ability there is no reason why this this team can't better it's predecessors, and as Doddie & Mr Jim showed its amazing what team spirit can be built in teams , so going on my faith in oor Craig, I say this squad will be the bestest ever.

word of warning: if any players in the current team do any unsettling then they can gtf.?

I still see us very much as a work in progress. Some of the "strength in depth" has still to be tested and only will be if we were to lose several key players at the one time.

I would have to say the loss of Berra has not been as bad as I feared. Jimmy Dunne has been a bloody good deputy. 

I also think we have a great spirit in the squad and that helps players come in and do a job when required. 

The future though is looking very very positive but still a huge amount of work to be done. 

After suffering the devastating endings of 64/65 and 85/86 I'm not getting carried away this early in any season. 

The OP phrased the question carefully and it’s a debate worth having.

In previous teams the loss of Cameron for example probably cost us the league. Had we had a better squad we might have won the league - indeed I think I am right that JJ wanted to add 2 or 3 players half way through the league but was denied this.

As people say the 85/86 team could not have withstood any injury to players - indeed a flu ridden team had to play a lot of players in a title decider who would not have played today.

The 05/06 team was a bit ahead of this team and I think on balance was a better squad - it was Vlad’s gross mismanagement that did us that season. That said Rangers and Celtic were stronger then than now do all things are relative.

What Levein knows and has learned, being a PHM is that to get close to winning a league you need cover and cover that can step into the first team at first team level when shit happens. This proven - so far - to our reaction to losing arguably our two best and key players from last season.

There remains an absolutely key player to us though - Naismith. But no team our size can have the equivalent of a Naismith as an understudy.

So I don’t think I have ever seen us with a squad as well balanced and with as good cover for all positions or the players that allow us to play as many potential formations and styles.

Was Romanov’s squad as a whole better? Probably but it was completely wasted on us because Rox and Valdez were not allowed to utilise it properly so what was the point ?

Special Agent Dale Cooper
9 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

I still see us very much as a work in progress. Some of the "strength in depth" has still to be tested and only will be if we were to lose several key players at the one time.

I would have to say the loss of Berra has not been as bad as I feared. Jimmy Dunne has been a bloody good deputy. 

I also think we have a great spirit in the squad and that helps players come in and do a job when required. 

The future though is looking very very positive but still a huge amount of work to be done. 

After suffering the devastating endings of 64/65 and 85/86 I'm not getting carried away this early in any season. 

This.

We will see how good the squad is once we have a situation where 6 or 7 players are unavailable simultaneously, or we lose a couple of matches and team spirit is tested. 

Just now we can only speculate.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I prefer the same team to play every game. Not a fan of big squad rotation. 

Almost impossible to implement though.

Even if you get the rub of the green with injuries, losing players due to suspensions is a certainty in modern day football.

6 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Rox and Valdez

Spanish Language Cartoon on Nick Jr?

Tynecastle Valhalla
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Totally agree 

It a strong squad, not at the sane level as 05/06..we had several top top players in that team.. Hoping sean clare takes us on another level again 

letsalldothebeattie

Best team since 05/06 definitely. Hard to tell really we’ve got a very strong squad currently but would be hard to argue against this being the strongest squad ever if we can win the league or even bring in both cups. 

Id love to see a game between 05/06 squad against 18/19 squad 

I’d say the first XI is not as strong, but the second XI is probably stronger than we’ve had. More depth but less quality. Not sure if that makes it a stronger or weaker squad. 

6 minutes ago, grumpy rebus said:

I’d say the first XI is not as strong, but the second XI is probably stronger than we’ve had. More depth but less quality. Not sure if that makes it a stronger or weaker squad. 

What matters is - how does the quality of our squad now versus then compare with the other squads - then versus now?

Are Rangers as strong as 05/06? I’d say no. Are Celtic? Questionable.

Edited by Jammy T

Bazzas right boot

Interesting. 

We have around 5/6 current internationals or guys that have been involved recently. 

Berra

Souttar

Naismith

Smith

Hughes

Djoum 

2x aussie guys

Lafferty just left us. 

Mitchell, man utds reserve player of the year. 

Wighton amongst many of our young lads under 21 or below. Even Dunne and our reserve goalie are capped recently at their level. 

Don't remember any Hearts team with such an amount of current or recent internationals at various levels. 

Quite a good indicator of the quality level of the squad. 

06 relied had skacel and Hartley allot, I don't think we have that quality in midfield, but up front and especially at the back we are matching them. 

Early yet but the balance and depth of the team seems far better and the loss of a single player won't hurt as much, imagine losing Hartley or Skacel in 06?

We've lost our captain and hardly broken stride, Naismith would be the biggest loss but I think we'd manage for a while without if need be. 

It's still early tho, but the signs are that our new batch of players have all added something with the exception of Edwards. 

39 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Almost impossible to implement though.

Even if you get the rub of the green with injuries, losing players due to suspensions is a certainty in modern day football.

A different era. I miss it. 

tartofmidlothian

If we're talking purely in terms of squad depth, our best was probably the second half of 2005/06 after that January spree, even if Aguiar and Goncalves took a while to get going and some of the other quality signings never really clicked.

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's a tricky one. If you can't enjoy 5 out of 5, then what's the point of following football, but a lot of folk are getting way ahead of themselves as well. Most of it is just internet bantz, but some are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Remember, we won 5 out of 5 after promotion, so it's not a 100% indicator of how the season will go. But i also know Levein is a more experienced campaigner than Robbie, and has a stronger squad, so will know how to keep things fresh and react to any defeats along the way.

5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

05/06 wins by a mile imo.

However.....

This bunch do appear to really have something about them.

This the 05/06 team had class throughout but it was assembled down to purely money/players coming into their twilight - always felt in my gut it would be one season wonder.  The squad this season looks to be much more hungry, togetherness to them.  If they can stick together for 2/3 seasons who knows what they're capable of.  

7 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

05/06 wins by a mile imo.

However.....

This bunch do appear to really have something about them.

Without knowing what goes on behind closed doors, i think it is pretty obvious that this team has more togetherness and spirit than the 05/06 squad, and that counts for a lot.

tartofmidlothian
14 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Interesting. 

We have around 5/6 current internationals or guys that have been involved recently. 

Berra

Souttar

Naismith

Smith

Hughes

Djoum 

2x aussie guys

Lafferty just left us. 

Mitchell, man utds reserve player of the year. 

Wighton amongst many of our young lads under 21 or below. Even Dunne and our reserve goalie are capped recently at their level. 

Don't remember any Hearts team with such an amount of current or recent internationals at various levels. 

Quite a good indicator of the quality level of the squad. 

06 relied had skacel and Hartley allot, I don't think we have that quality in midfield, but up front and especially at the back we are matching them. 

Early yet but the balance and depth of the team seems far better and the loss of a single player won't hurt as much, imagine losing Hartley or Skacel in 06?

We've lost our captain and hardly broken stride, Naismith would be the biggest loss but I think we'd manage for a while without if need be. 

It's still early tho, but the signs are that our new batch of players have all added something with the exception of Edwards. 

The only one which comes close is Cathro's team...

48 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

The OP phrased the question carefully and it’s a debate worth having.

In previous teams the loss of Cameron for example probably cost us the league. Had we had a better squad we might have won the league - indeed I think I am right that JJ wanted to add 2 or 3 players half way through the league but was denied this.

As people say the 85/86 team could not have withstood any injury to players - indeed a flu ridden team had to play a lot of players in a title decider who would not have played today.

The 05/06 team was a bit ahead of this team and I think on balance was a better squad - it was Vlad’s gross mismanagement that did us that season. That said Rangers and Celtic were stronger then than now do all things are relative.

What Levein knows and has learned, being a PHM is that to get close to winning a league you need cover and cover that can step into the first team at first team level when shit happens. This proven - so far - to our reaction to losing arguably our two best and key players from last season.

There remains an absolutely key player to us though - Naismith. But no team our size can have the equivalent of a Naismith as an understudy.

So I don’t think I have ever seen us with a squad as well balanced and with as good cover for all positions or the players that allow us to play as many potential formations and styles.

Was Romanov’s squad as a whole better? Probably but it was completely wasted on us because Rox and Valdez were not allowed to utilise it properly so what was the point ?

Naismith , Uche in particular will be out at times through injury and suspension .

Think with players we have Wighton  MacLean etc we will change our style to fit them in .

Not wishing this to happen but will be curious as to how we deal with this 

6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Most teams will have a spell of variable results. 

If/When it happens to us, it's how we react to it that will determine our season.

For sure, the media will be all over it, but feck them. 

Strong characters required and hopefully we now have that.

I am optimistic, however we have only started the league campaign but momentum is very important and should not be underestimated.

One thing i remember about Levein's team the last time round was that we reacted well. After losing 4-0 at Falkirk in the cup we went and won at Pittodrie.

Something to respect at present is the clearly successful “No dickhead policy” that CL and AMc have implemented with the transfer personnel. We don’t have any big-headed idiots annoying the squad - characters like Larry Kingston or Mikey Stewart wouldn’t last 5 mins in the current dressing room. They all trust and back each other - a decent team can perform amazing things with the right dynamic.

Berra & Souttar, compare favourably with Webster & Pressley. Dead heat for me.

On the right, we had Neison, Chesney & Miko...this season Clare, Smith, Godinho, Morrison & others. For me this squad wins.

Skacel, Fyssas, Hartley ...probably edges Mitchell, Garuccio, Naismith.

DM...Aguiar, Brellier ahead of Haring, Lee

Up top we’re not as strong...Janny and Bednar were awesome. However Uche and Vanecek may surprise us...certainly Uche has been immense so far.

I would probably give the edge on starting 11 to 05/06, however, when I look at the players not even mentioned, like Djoum, Boz, Harry, McDonald, McLean, Dunne et al, I think the current squad is stronger in depth.

Edited by cb1874

• davemclaren locked this topic