Is this the best squad we’ve ever assembled?

gashauskis9

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

When you use the term "ever", you're covering a lot of ground.  That includes the teams of the 1950's when we won the league a couple of times, the Scottish Cup, and a couple of League Cups.

Therefore, no, I don't think that this is the best-ever squad.  We could be seeing the most exciting year since 05/06, maybe 85/86, and I'll settle for that.

97/98 and even 91/92 were great seasons too. Winning at Parkhead in Jan 92 to stay top of the league, in front of 7500 Hearts fans ..great days. Guys like John Millar would walk into our first XI this year. It all went tits up iirc when Jordan went away for a few days to study AC Milan's training methods then we lost 0-4 to Aberdeen. Rangers strengthened that January and we were possibly only one signing away from really making a challenge. 87 /88 team was great too...finished 2nd i think and robbed of a SC Final place. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Peebo

• Enzo Chiefo

• Jammy T

• gashauskis9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

97/98 and even 91/92 were great seasons too. Winning at Parkhead in Jan 92 to stay top of the league, in front of 7500 Hearts fans ..great days. Guys like John Millar would walk into our first XI this year. It all went tits up iirc when Jordan went away for a few days to study AC Milan's training methods then we lost 0-4 to Aberdeen. Rangers strengthened that January and we were possibly only one signing away from really making a challenge. 87 /88 team was great too...finished 2nd i think and robbed of a SC Final place. 

No.

Just to reiterate my OP.  I’m talking about squad not first team/starting 11 (if I was, 05/06 wins it in my lifetime).

Two very different things.

14 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Just to reiterate my OP.  I’m talking about squad not first team/starting 11 (if I was, 05/06 wins it in my lifetime).

You can’t separate the first XI from the rest of the squad, though. Not really different; rather, one is an integral (and the most important) subset of the other.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
21 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

On paper the 98/99 and 06/07 squads were better. We underperformed both years though. 

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Do you remember how many goals he scored from midfield? Who would displace him?? 

Just now, Peebo said:

Yes, he would.

John Millar scored 7 goals in his first season,  1 in his second, 4 in his third and hit the giddy heights of 10 in his fourth season.

Lets not make him out to be a Cameron or a Hartley here.

He was a distinctively average footballer who other than the odd goal here and there.....really contributed very little else in a Hearts jersey.

JJ found him out very quickly and punted him.

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

John Millar scored 7 goals in his first season,  1 in his second, 4 in his third and hit the giddy heights of 10 in his fourth season.

He was a distinctively average footballer who other than the odd goal here and there.....really contributed very little else in a Hearts jersey.

We don’t have a Cameron or Hartley in our current team.

8 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

He played in a team that played in SC Semi Finals and led the league in 91/92. Are you suggesting Olly Lee is a better player??

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Slating John Millar. I'm out. *******s. 

?

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I’d say this squad has some way to go before being compared with 05/06. And I’m pretty sure we’ll never again have one that compares with late 50s when we won the league looking back.

11 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We have Naismith. 

We do, aye.  And I wouldn’t put him up there with either of them (not yet, at least).

Not many others in the first team on that level, though, which is more pertinent to the point at hand. IE John Millar of early 90s was more than good enough to get in the current Hearts team. 

The bar is much, much lower these days than the last couple of decades.

16 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

On paper the 98/99 and 06/07 squads were better. We underperformed both years though. 

98/99 is a warning from history.  We kept the same squad, never lost anyone of importance, and added players. 

Started the season superbly (we all thought another challenge was on) then hit that horrendous rut as one slip up led to another. 

I was there that night at Tannadice when Mickey dragged us to victory and we were suddenly transformed for the last dozen matches.  

You really can't do anything else in football than take each week as it comes....then laugh or cry depending on the outcome :) 

6 minutes ago, Peebo said:

We do, aye.  And I wouldn’t put him up there with either of them (not yet, at least).

Not many others in the first team on that level, though, which is more pertinent to the point at hand. IE John Millar of early 90s was more than good enough to get in the current Hearts team. 

Spot on Peebo.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

98/99 is a warning from history.  We kept the same squad, never lost anyone of importance, and added players. 

Started the season superbly (we all thought another challenge was on) then hit that horrendous rut as one slip up led to another. 

I was there that night at Tannadice when Mickey dragged us to victory and we were suddenly transformed for the last dozen matches.  

You really can't do anything else in football than take each week as it comes....then laugh or cry depending on the outcome :) 

Too true. 

Weird season. We'd added genuine quality with guys like Pressley and MacKinnon. 2-0 up after 20 odd minutes on the first day and running Rangers ragged. I made I'd probably favourites for the league that night. 

Then everything unravelled. I remember being properly shellshocked after the McCoist hattrick game at Rugby Park. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Loved John Millar. Honest as the day was long. 

But he is not strolling into this team. 

I was not enthralled by the Olly Lee signing but he has been wonderful. 

Haring is probably the comparitor for Millar. 

Fun times to watch how the class of 18/19 evolve. 

Not relegation material though are they :)

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Too true. 

Weird season. We'd added genuine quality with guys like Pressley and MacKinnon. 2-0 up after 20 odd minutes on the first day and running Rangers ragged. I made I'd probably favourites for the league that night. 

Then everything unravelled. I remember being properly shellshocked after the McCoist hattrick game at Rugby Park. 

The Mo Berthe game at Dundee was a very concerning day

8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

But the point is Sir Gio, comparisons are being made after a handful of games. Guys like Millar  had experience of scoring and winning at places like Parkhead. At the end of October, having played Hibs, Rangers and Aberdeen we will be better placed to compare. Having said that though, as Peebo stated, the bar is far lower now, standard wise, than back in those days.

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

7 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Too true. 

Last sentence is exactly the way I felt. I was there too and it didn't seem real.

This was meant to be a routine 3 points for a team carrying on form from the previous season.  I remember the glee of some vermin at work but that was borne out of relief and them shiteing themselves we'd be in the hunt again.

3 hours ago, loveofthegame said:

Without Berra the defence still gives me slight concerns. We’ve been largely untested so far and even in games we’ve won comfortably we’ve shipped some big chances especially down our right flank (ICT before we scored & St Mirren in particular spring to mind). 

Smith can be suspect defensively, and Dunne/Dikamona are largely unproven. Sooner Berra is back the better- a suspension or injury to Souttar could be an absolute disaster.

same goes for Uche as we’d lose our only target man (until big vanecek comes in).

I’ll keep riding the happy train for now and hope it lasts all season but I think the starting line up would lose to 98 and 06 teams comfortably- we don’t have players of the calibre now that we did back then (Naismith, Flogel, McCann, Cameron, Adam, fyssas, Gordon, pressley, Hartley, rudi, janny, bednar). The squad depth looks gd now but most of our back ups would significantly weaken the first team. 

I think the point above about the OF being weaker than 98/06 is a valid one however, so to an extent it is all relative.

Yep - your last para in particular.

There is a good argument to say that our 98 and 05 teams (even with Vlad on the scene) would not just beat our current team but would also win the league this season.

It is all relative - entirely 

14 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

This

The bar is lower ?!?!?!

John Millar wasn’t a better footballer than Haring, Djoum or Lee. Millar could only dream of having the fitness, pace, touch or passing ability of these guys. 

Millar could definitely head a ball though......that was his only strength imo. I never once left a game think John Millar was MOTM today.....his passing was immense. 

3 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

No my point is that any squad that had Pospisil, Brellier, Berra, Webster, Mikolinius, McCann, Goncalves on the bench is stronger than who we have on the bench today. 

Depends what team dickhead had put out that day to be fair. 

30 minutes ago, S Form said:

I’d say this squad has some way to go before being compared with 05/06. And I’m pretty sure we’ll never again have one that compares with late 50s when we won the league looking back.

Well about 4 games...:

28 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Naismisth’s career has proven that he is better than Hartley was. What we haven’t had from Naismith yet at Hearts is 3 years of Hartley’s form for us. That’s all.

11 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

The bar is lower ?!?!?!

John Millar wasn’t a better footballer than Haring, Djoum or Lee. Millar could only dream of having the fitness, pace, touch or passing ability of these guys. 

Millar could definitely head a ball though......that was his only strength imo. I never once left a game think John Millar was MOTM today.....his passing was immense. 

In terms of the standard of Scottish football in general . Fitness and GPS stats possibly but then Dave Mackay and Gary Mackay wouldn't match up fitness wise but would win hands down in terms of football ability, compared with their modern day equivalents. Box to box midfielders don't exist now, thanks to Academies producing identikit players but, it's safe to say that if Olly Lee does as well as John Millar did over several seasons with us, we can mark him down as an excellent signing.

15 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Naismisth’s career has proven that he is better than Hartley was. What we haven’t had from Naismith yet at Hearts is 3 years of Hartley’s form for us. That’s all.

Yup. That is all. That’s what I’m judging it on. The 9 months I’ve seen from Naismith have not been as good as the 3 years of Hartley, or the 5 of Cameron. 

Naismith has not been as good for Hearts as Hartley was. By the time he has completed his time with us, that appraisal may well change. I hope it does, as it will mean we have had another outstanding club legend. 

Edited by Peebo

22 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

The bar is lower ?!?!?!

Only strength? **** me.

Each to their own. 

2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

05/06 team would smash this current team into smithereens, imo. 

It would be cigars out by half time but there's no shame in that. We've a great squad just now who are playing really well as a collective.

10 hours ago, Kid Creole said:

1957-58 squad was quite good ?

Yes it was. In fact all of the squads from 1955 to 1962 were pretty good. Not many of you will be old enough to remember, but many of the names are legendary - as well as the incomparable Dave Mackay,  there were Willie Bauld, Alex Young, Alfie Conn, Jimmy Wardhaugh, Ian Crawford, Gordon Marshall, Bobby Kirk, Andy Bowman, John Cumming, Freddie Glidden, Bobby Blackwood, Johnny Hamilton, Jimmy Milne, Jimmy Murray, Jim Cruickshank, Willie Wallace, Norrie Davidson, Davie Holt, Gordon Smith, etc.

Squads were much smaller then but there were no passengers in that lot!

Edited by 56anawthat

Lord Beni of Gorgie
46 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

But the point is Sir Gio, comparisons are being made after a handful of games. Guys like Millar  had experience of scoring and winning at places like Parkhead. At the end of October, having played Hibs, Rangers and Aberdeen we will be better placed to compare. Having said that though, as Peebo stated, the bar is far lower now, standard wise, than back in those days.

I think a few are forgetting how shite Celtic were after 88 for many years. A bit like The Rangers have been. 

Hibs too. Aberdeen were a decent side though

21 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I think a few are forgetting how shite Celtic were after 88 for many years. A bit like The Rangers have been. 

Hibs too. Aberdeen were a decent side though

Celtic were pretty shite, but in John Collins (the one who springs to mind), they had a midfielder in the early 90s much better than anyone they have today. They are shite now. 

Aberdeen of that era were indeed decent. They had a player who played alongside Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard in the 1990 World Cup. 

12 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Celtic were pretty shite, but in John Collins (the one who springs to mind), they had a midfielder in the early 90s much better than anyone they have today. They are shite now. 

Aberdeen of that era were indeed decent. They had a player who played alongside Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard in the 1990 World Cup. 

Hans Gillhaus was superb, unplayable on his day.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

In terms of the standard of Scottish football in general . Fitness and GPS stats possibly but then Dave Mackay and Gary Mackay wouldn't match up fitness wise but would win hands down in terms of football ability, compared with their modern day equivalents. Box to box midfielders don't exist now, thanks to Academies producing identikit players but, it's safe to say that if Olly Lee does as well as John Millar did over several seasons with us, we can mark him down as an excellent signing.

I honestly think you’re memory of JM is severely distorted. 

You can surely already see that Lee is a better footballer than Millar?.....and Lee is no Aguiar. 

Millar didn’t pass the ball well.....he didn’t dribble well....he wasn’t a creator of goals. He wasn’t tough holding role midfielder.....he wasn’t a box to box man. Just what are you recalling he did so damn well that makes you think he would stroll into our current team ?

I don’t think that period was exactly golden for Scottish football......I doubt you’d see many players from that era get into the equivalent sides these days. I think football has moved on more than you realise.

queensferryjambo
1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

What utter garbage John Millar was hardly a distinctly average player. In fact I would go as far as say he was an excellent player for Hearts. His contribution over the seasons he played for us was tremendous. 

He played a completely different role to Hartley and Cameron so is hardly comparable to them. They both played an attacking midfielder role. Millar's job was to break up play in midfield and regained possession for Hearts.  

Millar scored 21 goals in 122,  Hartley scored 31 in 118 and Cameron scored 48 in 157. Considering Millar was not an attacking midfielder his scoring ratio is almost as good as Hartley and he certainly never played in any teams as good as 1997/98, 2005/06 or 2006/07 that Cameron and Hartley had the luxury of.

As for Millar displacing Haring, Lee or Djoum. See when any of our current midfield score a winner at Parkhead, score a winner against Rangers (in fact score 4 times against Rangers in 4 different games) and  scores 3 goals against Hibs (2 in wiining games and one saving the 22 in a row record) come back and tell us how little Millar contributed.

Jeffries hardly found Millar. Millar was almost 30 and Jeffries had to use him as part of the deal to get a 24 year old Cameron from Raith.

Millar was an excellent player for Hearts and hardly needs our own fans trying to belittle his contribution to our club to try and win an internet argument. 

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Do you remember how many goals he scored from midfield? Who would displace him?? 

Djoum, Lee, Haring, Cochrane and Naismith for starters.

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, the jambo poet said:

I think a lot of people are comparing squads and determining who was better with regards to who we played, scores, etc when talking about the different eras. However to get a clearer picture of the whole picture you have to perhaps compare our rivals teams/squads also from the same periods/years...

For  instance...the Celtic team of 2006 was far far superior to their current team. The one which beat us 3-2 (unfairly) was this....

Artur Boruc

Ross Wallace

Neil Lennon

Bobo Balde

Stephen McManus

Paul Telfer

Stylan Petrov

Alan Thompson

Shaun Maloney

Shunsuje Nakamura

John Hartson

subs: Mo Camara, Adam Virgo, Stephen Pearson, Paul Lawson, Aiden McGeady, Wei Du, David Marshall

our team was:

Craig Gordon

Robbie Neilson

Andy Webster

Steven Pressley

Takis Fyssas

Rudi Skacel

Deivadas Cesnauskis

Paul Hartley

Julien Brellier

Edgaras Jankauskas

Calum Elliot

subs: Stephen Simmons, Jamie McAllister, Steve Banks, Neil MacFarlane, Michael Pospisil, Lee Wallace, Christophe  Berra

If you look at our team/match day squad that's as good as it gets....our subs bench is very strong although Wallace and Berra and I guess Simmons too were youngsters at the time. The majority of that Celtic team played in the English Premier League at some point so were pretty good.

Celtic team we beat 1-0 this season :

Craig Gordon

K Tierney

M Lustig

J Hendry

J Simunovic

S Sinclair

J Hayes

K Eboue

S Brown

C McGregor

L Griffiths

subs:  James Forrest, Michael  Johnston, Kristoffer Ajer, Odsonne Edouard, Olivier Nitcham, Tom Rogic, Scott Bain

Our current team aren't nearly as good as the 2006 team, but the same can be said of Celtic's current team.

What I guess I am saying is,  it's all relative to the teams you are playing against. Yes our new team/squad is looking really strong but not as strong as the best team/squad we have had, which in my opinion, was 2006. However the current champions are in the same boat.

Celtic are imo on par, imo

Edouard (sp), rogic and  forrest came on from the bench in our recent 1-0. 

Boyata also rested. 

I'd even argue celtic are better now v then. 

Think you're being a bit hard on the relative thing. 

Rangers are worse, no doubt. 

I'd also argue that Aberdeen and Hibs are far better, along with St Johnstone and Killie. 

Our team has yet to prove it is as good as 06, one can only guess. 

I'm going to say yes and put my neck on the line , time will prove this team is our best. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

14 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Djoum, Lee, Haring, Cochrane and Naismith for starters.

Short memory JJ..Djoum is an imposter imo. Never kicked a ball for months after the African Nations Cup and should have been shown a red card with his first touch of the ball a fortnight ago . Comparing Millar to a 17 year old laddie that may or not make it along with a guy who was originally brought in as cover for  CH??? Fair enough , have the discussion in May or after we've played against the majority of the top teams but now??? Nah.

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

24 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

What utter garbage John Millar was hardly a distinctly average player. In fact I would go as far as say he was an excellent player for Hearts. His contribution over the seasons he played for us was tremendous. 

He played a completely different role to Hartley and Cameron so is hardly comparable to them. They both played an attacking midfielder role. Millar's job was to break up play in midfield and regained possession for Hearts.  

Millar scored 21 goals in 122,  Hartley scored 31 in 118 and Cameron scored 48 in 157. Considering Millar was not an attacking midfielder his scoring ratio is almost as good as Hartley and he certainly never played in any teams as good as 1997/98, 2005/06 or 2006/07 that Cameron and Hartley had the luxury of.

As for Millar displacing Haring, Lee or Djoum. See when any of our current midfield score a winner at Parkhead, score a winner against Rangers (in fact score 4 times against Rangers in 4 different games) and  scores 3 goals against Hibs (2 in wiining games and one saving the 22 in a row record) come back and tell us how little Millar contributed.

Jeffries hardly found Millar. Millar was almost 30 and Jeffries had to use him as part of the deal to get a 24 year old Cameron from Raith.

Millar was an excellent player for Hearts and hardly needs our own fans trying to belittle his contribution to our club to try and win an internet argument. 

Hi John.

30 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Well said QJ

TBH what our squad lacks right now is an X-factor player. Naismith could become that player for us, but currently I can’t see anyone else turning a game with something created out of nowhere, a la Skacel.

Re: the John Millar discussion, I really liked him as a player. The team of 1991-92 doesn’t get a lot of love compared to some of the others as they never won a trophy, but just look at the players:

Henry Smith

Alan McLaren

Tosh McKinlay

Craig Levein

Gary Mackay

Dave McPherson

Scott Crabbe

Derek Ferguson

John Robertson

John Millar

John Colquhoun

Millar and Crabbe were the only two of that 11 not to get full Scotland caps.

9 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

TBH what our squad lacks right now is an X-factor player. Naismith could become that player for us, but currently I can’t see anyone else turning a game with something created out of nowhere, a la Skacel.

Re: the John Millar discussion, I really liked him as a player. The team of 1991-92 doesn’t get a lot of love compared to some of the others as they never won a trophy, but just look at the players:

Henry Smith

Alan McLaren

Tosh McKinlay

Craig Levein

Gary Mackay

Dave McPherson

Scott Crabbe

Derek Ferguson

John Robertson

John Millar

John Colquhoun

The first team that I properly remember as a 10 year old. Proper hero worshipping time. 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

It’s a tidy squad. Up there with the best? Can’t be said until we win a trophy. At the moment even the 2012 squad is superior due to winning a trophy. It’s all about winning for me. 

I hope albert Kidd isn’t playing when we play dundee away on the 27th......

3 minutes ago, By the light said:

The first team that I properly remember as a 10 year old. Proper hero worshipping time. 

I was 18 and in my first year at uni. It says something that I can still rattle off that team 27 years later, including who wore what number. (The only other team I can do that with is the 1990 Grand Slam rugby team - I even have to think to name the 97/98 Cup winners).

21 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Henry Smith

Alan McLaren

Tosh McKinlay

Craig Levein

Gary Mackay

Dave McPherson

Scott Crabbe

Derek Ferguson

John Robertson

John Millar

John Colquhoun

Vanecek.

the jambo poet
1 hour ago, queensferryjambo said:

I agree that John Millar was a very underrated player for Hearts but he was limited in his footballing ability. What I will say is he had a knack of being able to put the ball in the net which money can't buy nowadays. His worth as a ball winning midfielder outweighed by his ability to be in the right place at the right time to score goals. It was uncanny. A great natural runner who managed to get beyond the midfield of the other team and cause problems, normally resulting in a goal. We signed him from Blackburn with no fuss, under the radar and he turned out to be a great signing. 

• davemclaren locked this topic