Who else can take points off Celtic..?

Section Q

We need other teams to do the biz against Celtic. Rangers still freeze at the sight of them, so hopefully Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie can get something off them. They dont seem the best prepared squad wise for mid week games in Europe. 

Edited by Section Q

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redjambo

• Bazzas right boot

• Spellczech

• sairyinthat

letsalldothebeattie

Anyone if they actually put their minds to it. We’ve shown twice now that if you actually go at Celtic they don’t like it and are vulnerable and will lose games. St Mirren showed as well on Friday night with a solid defensive game and a good on the break attack(despite not getting a goal) you can make Celtic uncomfortable. 

If others can do the same this season we can put ourselves in a cracking position. Big test for the Tims on Sunday at Rugby Park 

3 minutes ago, Texia said:

Not a chance in hell will Aberdeen take points off Celtic, they’re big game shitebags.

A chance at Pittodrie,  none at Parkhead.

St Mirren have already & I think there will more however; it’ll be the same for us. The more we win the more teams will treat playing us like a cup final & we will be a big scalp. 

That said, not seen a squad like this for a long, long time. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

If St Mirreen can then anyone can. It's just a case of catching them on an off day which seems more likely this year. They look to be a bit flat and struggling to raise themselves for 'lesser' games

Now is the time for teams to be playing  them. A weakened squad and a host of midweek games coming up.  They will undoubtedly strengthen in January, so teams should be filling their boots while they can. 

I'm sorry but I don't want Hibs to take points off anyone this season.

As a side note, if it came down to the last game of the season, Hearts and Celtic are level on points and goal difference, Hibs v Celtic as their last game. How many do you think Neil Lennon's Hibs would concede?

In that situation I'd want Hibs to take points ?

avhudtheteeshirt

With the Europa Cup played until just before Xmas, then I would expect quite a few teams to give it a go to take points of both of the Uglies!

With our position in the League at the moment, I fully expect teams to try even harder to brake us as well!!

Hibs probably best placed to do so. The other teams completely fold at the sight of them.

Kudos to St Mirren at the weekend though, totally unexpected.

I think both Rangers and Celtic will drop a decent amount of points this season. Both having European games on Thursdays is a big advantage for us.

11 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

As a side note, if it came down to the last game of the season, Hearts and Celtic are level on points and goal difference, Hibs v Celtic as their last game. How many do you think Neil Lennon's Hibs would concede?

?

The answer to that question is however many Celtic needed, just like St Mirren did all those years ago!

Rangers, Hibs and Aberdeen should reduce Celtic's overall points in a range from 6 to 15.    2 to 5 per team.    We already have 3 and I think we'll need to deprive them of another 3-4 to stay in touch.    The other teams should manage the odd result.     

We're going to need good records versus Rangers, Hibs and Aberdeen.    Potentially needing to win as many as 7 or 8 of them.     As well as winning most of the other games.

4 minutes ago, 1953 said:

The answer to that question is however many Celtic needed, just like St Mirren did all those years ago!

:spoton:

Defensively Celtic are brutal, and I think Tierney playing centre half for Scotland is maybe getting to him. Boyata coming back is maybe a blessing but can he be bothered trying? 

I'd like to think they will come good, but I genuinely feel that if we are still where we are even by 1 point or a couple behind come the end of November anything can happen. We have depth in our squad and right now not sure where we could strengthen if anywhere.

26 minutes ago, Section Q said:

We need other teams to do the biz against Celtic. Rangers still freeze at the sight of them, so hopefully Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie can get something off them. They dont seem the best prepared squad wise for mid week games in Europe. 

The one thing you can Guarantee is it Won't be the Losers after biting quite badly the hand that feeds them.Aberdeen iffy but feasible Killie yes same Rangers decent chance Motherwell.If any of the rest take something it will be a bonus.

I've more confidence in clubs like Killie, Motherwell, Hibs and St. Johnstone taking points from them. Celtic always seem primed for games v. Rangers and Aberdeen, whilst both of them are, in turn, the opposite (or, to put it more bluntly/accurately, total shite bags). 

Edited by martoon

To put it in some context,   in 85/86 we won 11 matches versus Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Hibs.    We dropped the 3 point win equivalent of 20 points in the games against them.    

The Europa league is a complete blessing for us, they get hammered with games and don't get the financial windfall of the Champions League.

- 2019 -

We win the league.

Get through to the Champions League groups stages.

Sit with £20M+ in the bank laughing like **** :)

That was last nights dream!!

41 minutes ago, Section Q said:

St Mirren managed it, so should the rest, its all about putting your mind in a positive frame , go in negative and you will lose.

Would love to be wrong but just don't see Killie taking anything. They aren't the team they were last season (yet). Us and Rangers have both went there and been pretty comfortable.

Killie missing mulumbu badly.. Syaing that i think celtic are weaker and will drop points. Especially with europa league fixtures to contend with as well.. Rangers are stronger than last season.. But still vulnerable 

38 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

If Hibs take points off Rangers and Celtic but constantly lose points to teams like Livingston then I'd be delighted

Aberdeen as always will fart and follow through at the very sight of the OF.

Hibs always seem to raise their game against the OF.

Killie and Motherwell are capable of taking points from them as well.

Theoretically anyone can. I think teams are gradually realising that both Celtic and Sevco are nothing special. Perharps not Brendan  but, the Celtic board by not opening the biscuit tin to wide have allowed Celtic stagnate. Gordon is on decline. I can see Bain in goal soon.

No matter what combination of centre backs they use. They have mistakes in them. Lustig at right back can certainly be got at. Tierney great going forward but doesn't like it when forced back.

Midfield they are very strong. However, get in Brown's face and don't be bullied by him and no-one else steps up to the plate.

Despite having Griffiths, Eduardo and Sinclair upfront  they are not firing. Sinclair has really gone of the boil and Brendan is having difficulty firing him up again.

We have to turn the screw at every opportunity we can. We did it last Saturday and we have to do it again this Saturday and the Saturday after. The Sunday after that we are getting no favours from anyone whatsoever.

Queue Beaton or Madden being in the middle at Ibrox. Don't be surprised if Uche or Naismith see Red there.

This is where we find out about Brendan. St mirren were very smart, whenever the celtic keeper/ defence had the ball they all dropped back behind the celtic midfield, leaving their defence unchallenged. The 3 defenders then have 7 outfield team mates to play the ball to, but those 7 are being covered by 10 opposition players. Nightmare to play against. 

Scottish football has found a chink in the armour, it'll be interesting to see if they develop a game plan to counter this. 

Shanks said no
45 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

As a side side note, imagine if we only needed 3pts to win it as opposed to Celtic and were playing Sevco last game of the season.......

38 minutes ago, billbaberton said:

Defensively Celtic are brutal, and I think Tierney playing centre half for Scotland is maybe getting to him. Boyata coming back is maybe a blessing but can he be bothered trying? 

I'd like to think they will come good, but I genuinely feel that if we are still where we are even by 1 point or a couple behind come the end of November anything can happen. We have depth in our squad and right now not sure where we could strengthen if anywhere.

Not me. I'd like to think they continue to experience problems for the rest of the season.

4 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

As a side side note, imagine if we only needed 3pts to win it as opposed to Celtic and were playing Sevco last game of the season.......

I spoke to a Rangers fan about that very scenario a couple of days ago.  He'd expect Gerrard to play their under 12's team as they are so desperate to stop 10 in a row.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

St Mirren have already & I think there will more however; it’ll be the same for us. The more we win the more teams will treat playing us like a cup final & we will be a big scalp. 

That said, not seen a squad like this for a long, long time. 

Not only that, but teams will become more defensive v us and that poses a different type of problem to what we've not faced so far. 

Noticed that in 06, teams changed  as they realised we were quite good. 

Teams will take points of each other, hopefully (unless us) no one can put a long winning or unbeaten streak together. 

Celtic, as in the past can go on a daft 20 game or something run where the barely drop anything and takes them out of sight. 

It will be away from home they will drop points. The pitch at celtic park is huge compared to most others in the league and a lot of the time it tires the other teams out. On the smaller pitches, some of the teams can give them a good fight.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

They'd roll over so badly it would be hard to disguise. 

7 minutes ago, Durham Jambo said:

I spoke to a Rangers fan about that very scenario a couple of days ago.  He'd expect Gerrard to play their under 12's team as they are so desperate to stop 10 in a row.

I personally would like to see us win the title by beating either St Mirren or Dundee away.

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, martoon said:

I've more confidence in clubs like Killie, Motherwell, Hibs and St. Johnstone taking points from them. Celtic always seem primed for games v. Rangers and Aberdeen, whilst both of them are, in turn, the opposite (or, to put it more bluntly/accurately, total shite bags). 

The smaller teams sit deeper and if celtic don't score early it is posing them a problem they are struggling to answer, especially away from home. 

Aberdeen, Rangers especially at home tend to try and attack more and get picked off as it suits celtic. 

At celtic Park, thier wingers and midfield get more space and usually get through teams by controlling and being patient. 

Celtic have a big problem braking teams down who sit quite deep, Harry and are direct., especially away. 

They don't have the physicality up front to go more direct, so have no plan B. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I personally would like to see us win the title by beating either St Mirren or Dundee away.

I wouldn't be giving a ****. 

Not in a position to be choosey on how we win the title ?

Aberdeen :rofl::rofl::rofl::illogical:

absolutely no chance. They wet the bed and then some.

best chance is Sevco at Ibrox and the wee team (who don’t shit it off them like the sheep).

killie on Sunday may get a point 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Dallas Green said:

Same amount of goals we'd concede if the role was reversed. 

Just now, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

I wouldn't be giving a ****. 

Not in a position to be choosey on how we win the title ?

Hopefully we will be in such a position. ;)

I just think that it would be a nice piece of icing on the cake to put 1986 to rest at the same time as winning the league. Poetic justice so to speak.

4 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Aberdeen :rofl::rofl::rofl::illogical:

absolutely no chance. They wet the bed and then some.

best chance is Sevco at Ibrox and the wee team (who don’t shit it off them like the sheep).

killie on Sunday may get a point 

This. Aberdeen are complete pants against the OF. Probably the team most likely to lose against them, Dundee aside.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Hopefully we will be in such a position. ;)

I just think that it would be a nice piece of icing on the cake to put 1986 to rest at the same time as winning the league. Poetic justice so to speak.

Save that for 4 in row. ?

7 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Same amount of goals we'd concede if the role was reversed. 

You think Craig would do that?

1 hour ago, Dallas Green said:

I don't think Hibs have a strong enough defence to take points off Celtic this season. They are shipping almost 2 goals per game on average - 19 conceded in 11 games...won't be Rangers either

Aberdeen don't have the guts or gumption to beat the OF. A draw might be possible, though they would need to find some form first.

I think Killie are the best bet. They could even sneak a win. Motherwell also have a chance if they get the opener.

Edited by Spellczech

30 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Never going to get that unless we wrap it up in March!