George Peat on BBC - Club urged SFA not to help Rangers in 2008

Shanks said no

Shanks said no

Not read this elsewhere so giving it a mention

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45550817

Former Scottish FA president George Peat says a club chairman urged him "not to help Rangers in any way" amid a fixture backlog in 2008.

The Ibrox side were competing on three fronts near the end of season 2007-08, having already won the League Cup.

They lost the Uefa Cup final to Zenit St Petersburg and finished second to Celtic in the Scottish Premier League but won the Scottish Cup.

"The prominent club asked me not to and I refused," Peat told BBC Scotland.

Rangers played five games over 11 days at the end of the 2007-08 season, with the SPL responsible for the league fixture scheduling and the SFA having oversight of the Scottish Cup.

The Ibrox side had two league games in hand and the finale to the SPL campaign was delayed for top-half sides from 18 May to 22 May so all six teams finished on the same day.

After losing to Zenit in Manchester on 14 May, Rangers played rearranged league fixtures against Motherwell (17 May) and St Mirren (19 May) before losing against Aberdeen on 22 May as Celtic beat Dundee United to finish top of the table with a three-point lead.

Rangers then beat Queen of the South in the Scottish Cup final two days later.

When discussing his presidency from 2007-11, Peat was asked about what disappointments he had from his time with the SFA.

And he explained: "There were certain things that disappointed me. One in particular disappointed me.

"I remember when Rangers got to the final in Manchester. I got a phone call from a prominent chairman of a club requesting me not to help Rangers in any way.

"And it so happened that I had already had a meeting with Lex Gold at the SPL because what we were willing to do was to extend the season because of the fixture pile-up that Rangers had and I was most disappointed when I got back to the office to receive this call to ask me not to help them in any way.

"That really stuck in my throat."

I'd have thought Georges biggest regrets would have been missing out on two tournaments under his stewardship and failing to bring in any substantial revenue to the league. The huns also skirted by with their EBT's for another couple of years after he left so he missed that too. 

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

It was mentioned in the Christophe Berra on Sportsound thread.

Apologies hadn't caught up when I posted

They shouldn’t have been playing in Europe, never mind the UEFA cup final anyway as they had players improperly registered with the football association and therefore would have been ineligible to play in Europe. 

I honestly cannot believe the levels of delusional and arrogance that they somehow feel wronged by this. It’s as if they are completely oblivious to how their death came to be and believe that the rules don’t apply to them because “they arra peepul”. 

:seething:

I heard the whole interview. Found it really odd that he chose to bring this up now. Curious what his agenda might be unless he just fancied a bit of publicity.

the club in question are no longer in existence so it’s pretty much irrelevant as there’s no come back thank goodness.

gerrard can go on about history all he wants (as he seems to do in every interview) but history shows that the club he manages has no history. They are 5 years old 

I digress though, so yes, I hope it was Vlad. Please be Vlad

Edited by 1971fozzy

1 minute ago, graygo said:

More likely to have been John Reid.

George Peat being a good Rangers man was probably told by John Reid that if they bend over backwards for Rangers, they (Celtic) will leak their tax avoidance scheme to the press and HMRC would then get wind of it. That seems likely. It had to be something or someone with the clout to stop it from happening. 

been here before
13 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Had to be Lawwell or Petire right?

Maybe Vlad?? ;)

Wouldnt have been Lawell as John Reid was Celtic chairman 2007-2011.

In 2007-2008 Celtic, under John Reids Chairmanship,won the league by only 3 points from Rangers. Thus they qualified straight for the CL group stages.

Just saying like.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

George Peat being a good Rangers man was probably told by John Reid that if they bend over backwards for Rangers, they (Celtic) will leak their tax avoidance scheme to the press and HMRC would then get wind of it. That seems likely. It had to be something or someone with the clout to stop it from happening. 

Fair shout, although it doesn't necessarily need to be a Celtic chairman. Vlad wouldn't have thought twice about blackmailing the hu- I mean SFA

Given oldco's financial activities during that decade, Peat's words are a good insight into the SFA mindset

Edited by Riccarton3

1 minute ago, OTT said:

Fair shout, although it doesn't necessarily need to be a Celtic chairman. Vlad wouldn't have thought twice about blackmailing the hu- I mean SFA

Vlad would have to had known about what Rangers we’re doing though. Celtic would have known about what Rangers were up to without a doubt imo. Those two are always doing shady deals in Private. 

Plus I doubt VR or any other club other than Celtic would have the clout to ring up the SFA President and say, “whatever you’re thinking of doing, don’t even think about it following through” and then Peats arse caves in to the demand. If it wasn’t something big or blackmail, then surely he would have just told them to bolt? 

8 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Double standards from the cheats. 

The zombies refused to move a game for us. **** them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/923069.stm

wasn't there a game v them a year or so later where they asked us to move a game and we refused but the sfa/spl moved it? or was it we had agreed to move a game for them the previous season then they decided not to help us

queensferryjambo
26 minutes ago, been here before said:

Wouldnt have been Lawell as John Reid was Celtic chairman 2007-2011.

In 2007-2008 Celtic, under John Reids Chairmanship,won the league by only 3 points from Rangers. Thus they qualified straight for the CL group stages.

Just saying like.

Thanks for the info on it being John  Reid.

Seems very plausible it would be Celtic as they had the most to gain from it.

10 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

It was Celtic, anyone else would have been told to ‘**** off’. 

Yes, that.

It couldn't have been Vlad anyway - he was never the Chairman (remember when they changed the rules specifically so they could fine us for his pronouncements?)

It is depressing that this is actually the SFA President's worst memory of the job - that someone didn't want him to bend over backwards to help Rangers.

4 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

It is depressing that this is actually the SFA President's worst memory of the job - that someone didn't want him to bend over backwards to help Rangers.

Indeed. A club who at the time were defrauding the taxpayer, Scottish football and rather a lot of Scottish business.

Shanks said no
2 minutes ago, Jambotommy said:

If it was Romanov, it would have been leaked in 2008...

A very good point, he wouldn't have hidden the fact, particularly are we are riding so high.

22 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Yes, that.

It couldn't have been Vlad anyway - he was never the Chairman (remember when they changed the rules specifically so they could fine us for his pronouncements?)

Yeah, never mind Scotland failing to qualify for another two tournaments and three clubs going into admin (one dying completely) on his watch, plus us and Rangers spiralling downwards - how about that mean phone call! Made a lot of money from Vlad though for the blazer fund.

Edited by Guest

Have just re-read the article on the BBC site and I'm thinking, can anyone provide any links to articles where the same gentleman comes out about how the oldco Rangers degraded the core values of football in Scotland by systematically cheating all other clubs over a 10 year period? I certainly can't recall any.

48 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

It was Celtic, anyone else would have been told to ‘**** off’. 

They were told to **** off and the league was extended.

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

They shouldn’t have been playing in Europe, never mind the UEFA cup final anyway as they had players improperly registered with the football association and therefore would have been ineligible to play in Europe. 

I honestly cannot believe the levels of delusional and arrogance that they somehow feel wronged by this. It’s as if they are completely oblivious to how their death came to be and believe that the rules don’t apply to them because “they arra peepul”. 

:seething:

This.

And the carnage visited upon Manchester.

Rangers became Sevco and then became Celtic in the victimhood of wronged clubs. 

It's fairly obvious that the 'prominent' club he is referring to is Celtic.  No other club in Scotland is likely to have given a shit about accommodating Rangers fixture congestion, as it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.  The only club who stood to gain an advantage was Celtic.

Why George Peat chose to come out with this now, I don't know, but he is well known for being a 'proper' Rangers man.

Seymour M Hersh

By 2008 I seriously doubt Vlad would have been given the time of day had he tried to call and pressure the GFA about old co. Reid would be my favourite as the caller. A vile nasty piece of work imo so it fits right in with his MO. 

5 hours ago, BangkokHearts said:

Can I just remind everyone...

The Rangers died and the Hearts survived!

I remind the f****** at every opportunity :D

7 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Scottish football in a nutshell sadly.

9 hours ago, OTT said:

I'd have thought Georges biggest regrets would have been missing out on two tournaments under his stewardship and failing to bring in any substantial revenue to the league. The huns also skirted by with their EBT's for another couple of years after he left so he missed that too. 

Too true.

Scottish football has been a shambles and the national team has been a failure in his time in charge, yet the thing that he's most disappointed by is that a "certain club" didn't want him to bend over backwards to help a "certain other club"

Kind of sums up the mindset of those that run the game in this country

Jambof3tornado
10 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

I heard the whole interview. Found it really odd that he chose to bring this up now. Curious what his agenda might be unless he just fancied a bit of publicity.

Has he got a book coming out??

9 hours ago, Jambotommy said:

If it was Vlad he would have held a press conference. Explaining how the league were bending over for the Old firm.

when peat started talking about it I thought he was going to mention the Manchester riots being a total embarrassment... nae chance

11 hours ago, Jambotommy said:

Absolutely correct!

Glamorgan Jambo

You have to wonder why this gets dragged up in this way now. The Sevco intimidation campaign shows no signs of moderating that's for sure.

12 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Remember it well.

Pity that as they no longer exist we can't really return the favour.

Maybe, when the opportunity arises, we will have to make do with the team that inhabits their old stadium instead.

58 minutes ago, farin said:

They were helped & the league was extended to help them too. 

4DE2C133-5FA5-4CE2-BAA9-A43731EED1B4.thumb.jpeg.2b5257ab827af054a9b460294e5056d6.jpeg

And they still lost 0-3 to Lyon... Hahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha!!!

14 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

I'm not 100% sure why we asked for that game to be moved tbh - it's been common practice for a long time to play Thursday/Sunday in Europe.

Actually stepping back from the whole Rangers (RIP) thing, helping clubs with fixture congestion/issues is something the League and governing Association should do. Especially when they are representing the country at European competition finals and such like. 

(where possible within the rules)

The issue is when it is only ever done to help one or two specific clubs. 

Has anyone asked Peat why he didn’t bother doing something about this at the time ?

Absolutely ridiculous that someone in his position swept this under the carpet.

I’ve listened to Peat’s interview. I believe that was all set up so that Peat could finish the interview with what he said about Sevco and that season end. 

He was asked for his one regret. 

What he said was very contentious yet he needed no time to think about his reply, nor even choose his “one regret”.