Irony of Celtic fans accusing us of bigotry.....!

Tommy Walker

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Des Lynam said:

That doesn’t make it right though. I will agree the condemnation on here won’t make one difference to the problem of those singing shite like that. 

And you honestly can’t expect people to confront those singing and expect there to be a reasoned debate. 

I'm not in anyway saying it's right but it's always been there ! Hasn't the law around football songs been changed ?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Alex Kintner

• Selkirkhmfc1874

• Governor Tarkin

8 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

This is a society problem not a Hearts fan one. Are we really going to have Celtic fans moralise on the subject of offensive chanting? 

Correct Des, just a wee bit over exuberance from the lads!!

5 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

No I'm 49 years old and in all my years supporting hearts these songs have been sung , all I'm saying is why if anybody feels so strongly don't they confront the lads 

Listen, I was only joking and apologise at any offence caused. We are in the same age bracket as the other poster and I can understand why he didn't confront them. I go with my 15 year old son and I have no doubt they would turn on us in a moment. The club needs to be more proactive on this issue. It's pathetic and all the brilliant initiatives, like the disabled awareness day this Saturday, get lost as the press only want to pick up on negative stories. 

Edited by Jodami

Selkirkhmfc1874
11 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

This is a society problem not a Hearts fan one. Are we really going to have Celtic fans moralise on the subject of offensive chanting? 

Totally agree 

I've said before if anyone is going to be made an example of by the GFA it'll be us whilst they conveniently continue to ignore the majority of Celtic/Rangers supporters belting these songs out week in week out.

It's the 21st century. Hardly anyone goes to church. Please just consign this pish to the history books.

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Jodami said:

Listen, I was only joking and apologise at any offence causednl. We are in the same age bracket as the other poster and I can understand why he didn't confront them. I go with my 15 year old son and I have no doubt they would turn on us in a moment. The club needs to be more proactive on this issue. It's pathetic and all the brilliant initiatives, like the disabled awareness day this Saturday, get lost as the press only want to pick up on negative stories. 

I go with my 2 son's aged 9 and 8 mate and personally wouldn't sing those songs 

11 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

As a say I'm a Catholic myself as is my family but a always remember my grandad telling me our support always signed these songs and also my dad aswell so it's always been there 

So was racism and hooliganism

but it became unacceptable and so it stopped

so why keep this particular form of bigotry alive?

39 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Why didn't you take bull by horns and confront them rather than calling people scum bags online ?

39 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

Its a side issue but this was picked up by some non sports journalist last night on twitter.

Apparently Edinburgh is just as bad as Glasgow re sectarianism. 

These neds are just giving the West Coast media and authorities a stick to hit us with.

The real question is how to you tackle it? I have no idea. At Tynecastle we have (yes obviously there is still incidents).  They think its cool and funny. The more we say its not the bigger the thrill they get doing it. 

What annoys me is when challenged (I've tried a couple of times) you get abuse and told you don't know the history and traditions of our club. No if you sing that nonsense you clearly don't know the history of our club.

Selkirk , this is why most won’t challenge it face to face , most people are not going to go up to a group of thirty or forty and say oi behave. Its no different to a group of 30/40 folk fighting , you go up and say oi behave and the whole group turns on you. Some will most can’t or won’t. 

What do you expect them to do? We don’t live in a world where the 30/40 people will go yes sir sorry sir and behave because one person tells them.

Selkirk :facepalm:

57 minutes ago, jambo_ said:

daft wee kids will be daft wee kids ... vast majority probably dont even understand what their ****ing singing about

The ones I saw singing it were daft wee idiots in their mid-twenties.

The other annoying thing about it is that we had just won out fifth match on the trot and had they been singing any decent Hearts song everyone would have joined in but most folk didn’t. It was clear which version they were singing so most folk didn’t even bother joining in with the clean bits.

The Old Tolbooth

I'm just gobsmacked that Celtic fans can try to even begin to take any sort of moral high ground on a subject like this, their VicTim mentality knows no bounds, and although they sing their pish every single week, there's not a media outlet in the entire country brave enough to out them for it for fear of repercussions, and although I don't agree with our fans singing that nonsense, I find this garbage just another round of whataboutery, we must be worrying them just now. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

So was racism and hooliganism

but it became unacceptable and so it stopped

so why keep this particular form of bigotry alive?

These songs have always been sung at hearts games, my personal choice is I don't join in with them ! 

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'm just gobsmacked that Celtic fans can try to even begin to take any sort of moral high ground on a subject like this, their VicTim mentality knows no bounds, and although they sing their pish every single week, there's not a media outlet in the entire country brave enough to out them for it for fear of repercussions, and although I don't agree with our fans singing that nonsense, I find this garbage just another round of whataboutery, we must be worrying them just now. 

Totally agree with you 

17 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

It's a problem for society AND a problem for Hearts. And we need to deal with it.

For some bizarre reason, a significant number of our support believe that we are in some way a Protestant/loyalist/orange club in the same mould as Rangers. Wherever and whenever this behaviour crops up, it must be challenged. This works. There is less of this kind of thing than there used to be. More could be done. For a start, the club, along with FoH and Kickback, could organise some kind of fan-based group to explore and tackle this. It can be done.

Sectarian is not who or what I am. I want nothing to do with it. I'm fed up with Hearts being tarred with this brush.

2 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

These songs have always been sung at hearts games, my personal choice is I don't join in with them ! 

In no way does that make the songs OK

All roads lead to Gorgie

It was rife in the 80s, still there to a lesser degree in the 90s but after the millennium I can't remember much at all and I was in section G then. The great seasons ending in 98,06 and 2012 saw great atmosphere but everything was positive. Why the Feck can't that be the case again. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

In no way does that make the songs OK

Not in anyway saying these songs ok , all I'm saying is they've always been there as far back as my grandad following hearts and my personal choice is a just don't join in with these songs 

24 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

We were just talking about how its a problem in society and given a platform with social media and with the world politics as they are its becoming a larger problem. As Selkirk says it has and will aways be there to a degree but we as a club and the police by not stepping in are currently providing it a platform which is unfortunate. 

45 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

I like the Hello song, it’s a rousing football song and gets the crowd on its feet. However, I’m not religious or bigoted so refrain from any of the naughty bits. But, if it’s going to be used as a stick to beat us with or even faintly used to compare us with either of the arse cheeks, we need to stop it. We’re better than this, better at many levels than them and if we want to continue to hold the moral high ground, retaining our reputation as a forward thinking family team, we need to break away from this crap and never, ever give the west coast press the opportunity to compare us with them.

Well said, TJ.

There's got to be some reward from being a Hearts supporter and, for me, one of those rewards is that we are NOT like the gruesome twosome. So we shouldn't be relying on their songbook.

50 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Why didn't you take bull by horns and confront them rather than calling people scum bags online ?

There's an awful lot of this sort of keyboard warrior bullshit on display whenever the little Hun ***** in our support are  brought up - 'why didn;t you confornt 40 neds by yourself'?  **** sake. Talk sense.

Arsehole singing sectarian shite *are* scumbags, and any jambo with any sense should want them to gtf from your support.

Edited by HighTimes

1 hour ago, Frank1874 said:

Singing sectarian songs

:facepalm:

Filming you and your mates doing it

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Posting it online

:facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

This, this and this.

8 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

This is spot on though - the idea that Celtic of all clubs can try to take nay moral high ground as they chant their support of a group of murderers on a weekly basis is laughable.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, HighTimes said:

There's an awful lot of this sort of keyboard warrior bullshit on display whenever the little Hun ***** in our support are  brought up - 'why didn;t you confornt 40 neds by yourself'?  **** sake. Talk sense.

Arsehole singing sectarian shite *are* scumbags, and any jambo with any sense should want them to gtf from your support.

Why would a want to confront them ? My choice is a just don't sing those songs ! It's not about keyboard warrior stuff but if people feel so strongly about it confront them in the act rather than hiding behind social media 

2 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

This, this and this.

Not surprising though when you own more burberry jumpers than you have brain cells.

Edited by Frank1874

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, HighTimes said:

This is spot on though - the idea that Celtic of all clubs can try to take nay moral high ground as they chant their support of a group of murderers on a weekly basis is laughable.

Couldn't agree more with you 

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Why would a want to confront them ? My choice is a just don't sing those songs ! It's not about keyboard warrior stuff but if people feel so strongly about it confront them in the act rather than hiding behind social media 

Step back and have a word with yourself ffs :rofl:

Edited by Frank1874

1 hour ago, Jodami said:

It would be better if the club took some ownership on the issue, Inspector Clouseau could track these clowns down. 

What can they do if the police don't seem to do anything?

Selkirkhmfc1874
4 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Step back and have a word with yourself ffs :rofl:

Why have a word with myself ? Way a see it is if people not got Tue balls to confront people face to face then why feel brave enough to do it on social media hiding behind a username ?

ToadKiller Dog

If we are to be mounting a challenge, we will be under the microscope for everything we do from the west coast media from the Ugly supporters. 

Far more than the case in 2005.

Celtic fans clearly are getting worried. 

This includes fans behaviour, we are not mini huns, but we do have an element that maybe thinks they are. 

If our group of bigots can think for themselves that what they are doing makes things harder for us, then the club will have to step in. 

Unlike celtic who are scared of their support I'm sure hearts will take action against supporters who they deem have crossed the line. The club have done so and done it quickly in the past. 

To bring up the lennon attack again, that game was a culmination of many things, not defending the ejit that ran on the pitch, it was a nasty and intense atmosphere from the start, and don't forget the same game celtic supporters robbed the pie stands, scaring kids, the fans then protected the thief's from the police. 

Celtic should look at their own support, the same way as we should look at ours. 

15 minutes ago, sadj said:

We were just talking about how its a problem in society and given a platform with social media and with the world politics as they are its becoming a larger problem. As Selkirk says it has and will aways be there to a degree but we as a club and the police by not stepping in are currently providing it a platform which is unfortunate. 

It’s virtually impossible to police this issue and very difficult to prosecute. 

6 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Why have a word with myself ? Way a see it is if people not got Tue balls to confront people face to face then why feel brave enough to do it on social media hiding behind a username ?

It’s already been pointed out to you multiple times how stupid a point of view that is. You’re either being obtuse or you’re not that bright.

Should I have approached the eight drunken arseholes on the train who shouted the sexual harrassment at the young woman?

Edited by Frank1874

14 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Not in anyway saying these songs ok , all I'm saying is they've always been there as far back as my grandad following hearts and my personal choice is a just don't join in with these songs 

I am aware of how long it has been going on

But as someone who takes my kids along- I don't really want them listening to this shite anymore......let alone having to explain it.

I can cope with the swearing and so on, but trying to explain to the kids why some folks are singing about murdering catholics is a struggle.

I really cannot find a good explanation to give them beyond- "because they are idiots"

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

“A large number of Hearts fans share the song book enjoyed by Ibrox fans with a hatred for Catholics and Irish the focal point for their ‘support’."

“So Fen*** means Catholic, but H** doesn’t mean Protestant?  Now I understand. 

?

6 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Your stance on this issue of confronting these fans is as ridiculous as calling the club to put names to faces or even worse contacting the press. 

8 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

You really need to stop here . You are making an absolute tit of yourself .

To whoever posted 'who cares' , I do and so should all of us .

I don't give a shiny one about what Celtic fans think but I do know what kind of club I want us to be .

How this stuff becomes a debate is beyond me . 

If any of the young unionists are on that frequent Tynecastle then you should take a minute and educate yourself on the troubles of Northern Ireland. Peter Taylor has done some wonderful documentaries on this issue. 

1 minute ago, johnthomas said:

You really need to stop here . You are making an absolute tit of yourself .

To whoever posted 'who cares' , I do and so should all of us .

I don't give a shiny one about what Celtic fans think but I do know what kind of club I want us to be .

Have you approached the poster who posted “who cares?” directly or are you just hiding behind an anonymous user name?

18 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Well said, TJ.

There's got to be some reward from being a Hearts supporter and, for me, one of those rewards is that we are NOT like the gruesome twosome. So we shouldn't be relying on their songbook.

The problem is, there is the potential to offend someone with any fotball song. I have no desire to be upto my knees in any form of blood so refrain from that bit but, on the otherhand I do join in other songs but have no idea as to what percentage of Hibs fans are homosexual,  I have never tied a scarf around a funnel and I have my doubts as to whether Drew Busby does in fact drink Newcastle Brown.

9 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Confronting a group of lads, who are boozed up isn't a very safe thing to do.

They are stupid enough to sing sectarian songs and act in an aggressive manner so I wouldn't put it past them to do one of their own fans. I use that term 'fans' lightly because anyone idiotic enough to be singing sectarian songs I'd rather not have in our support or stadium.

I'd also rather my seven year old son doesn't think it's normal to act like a bigoted hooligan at the football. We aren't one of the bigot sisters. This element needs kicked out of our club.

2 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Have you approached the poster who posted “who cares?” directly or are you just hiding behind an anonymous user name?

Good question . Unfortunately I'm having an identity crisis at present so can't answer

6 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

“So Fen*** means Catholic, but H** doesn’t mean Protestant?  Now I understand. 

?

Hun doesn't mean protestant

Fenian also does not mean Catholic, but the association to the "troubles " is there.

there is no link at all between the term "Hun" and any religion/ war/battle/ political movement at all involving Northern Ireland.

I am now so utterly sick of the whole sectarian blight that I reckon we should use Brexit to get rid of Northern Ireland entirely- just give it to Europe

11 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

It seems to stem from the same degree of intelligence as singing the song in the first place...

10 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

If any of the young unionists are on that frequent Tynecastle then you should take a minute and educate yourself on the troubles of Northern Ireland. Peter Taylor has done some wonderful documentaries on this issue. 

I don't think these people are closely acquainted with "education". The documentaries would have to be by Mr Tumble.

Who really gives a flying fk what these tramps think.

The vast majority of these cretins sing their party songs all through most games...........and there away support, its probably 90/95% of them. 

We have a very small minority that sing odd song........we always have had since I have been going in 70's and it was  a lot worse back then. I wont be losing any sleep over it.

These young guys should be encouraged to change there ways. Not lambasted by crisp packet rustlers on here! If half our support would get off their arse and actually sing a song once in a while we maybe would have more of a songbook. 

There an absolutely breath of fresh air home and away and I for one are grateful to have them! 

A few idiotic words sung in the moment ain’t gonna change my opinion of that especially when the OF do it for a whole match every week! 

40 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

It's a problem for society AND a problem for Hearts. And we need to deal with it.

For some bizarre reason, a significant number of our support believe that we are in some way a Protestant/loyalist/orange club in the same mould as Rangers. Wherever and whenever this behaviour crops up, it must be challenged. This works. There is less of this kind of thing than there used to be. More could be done. For a start, the club, along with FoH and Kickback, could organise some kind of fan-based group to explore and tackle this. It can be done.

Sectarian is not who or what I am. I want nothing to do with it. I'm fed up with Hearts being tarred with this brush.

This 100 per cent. However,  for whoever said there's only 10-15 singing,  there maybe in the video but there was 10 times this number "up to their knees" and belitilling cancer victims on my train out of Motherwell on Saturday. They had a police escort who let things go until the Tommy burns& Scott Brown's sister cancer stuff where he shouted them down bu,t in reality he was powerless to do much.

All twats on both sides, can’t believe I clicked on that link, not enough facepalms available sad sad sad !!!

Plastic paddies and loyalist twonks to a man  away and swallow your own tongues that lot of you.

HHGH