Another bassa of a disease

Jamdub

IMO the funniest comedian that Scotland has ever had, now being savaged by this ******* of a disease.

www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/billy-connolly-no-longer-recognises-close-friends-as-parkinsons-battle-takes-its-toll

2 hours ago, Jamdub said:

IMO the funniest comedian that Scotland has ever had, now being savaged by this ******* of a disease.

www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/billy-connolly-no-longer-recognises-close-friends-as-parkinsons-battle-takes-its-toll

I love BC and this is shite what's happening to him. But BC forgot who he was well before Parkinson disease took it's toll . 

Edited by ri Alban

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Jamdub said:

Remember being on holiday with 1st wife 1988 , Palma Nova , Majorca, stopped at a bar and had a wee drink

as you do outside.

Suddenly all i hear is the big yins voice, owner was playing a tape of him on the tv, the whole place loved it.

Thats my memory of a great comedian, hope hes safe with the ones he loves.

Big yins no longer the big yin. Sad times. 

Didn't think Parkinson's affected the memory just took its toll on the body. 

15 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Big yins no longer the big yin. Sad times. 

Didn't think Parkinson's affected the memory just took its toll on the body. 

Unfortunately it does both and as Billy had a very intelligent brain and unbelievable recall, which was made what him such a great storyteller and funny man.

Edited by Jamdub

I saw him in around 2008. was great, it was just him on stage with a table with a glass of water. He started to tell jokes and stories and kept getting sidetracked with other stories. i think i spent the whole time laughing. From that i imagined he was the type of guy you would love to go to the pub with and have a laugh with

Harry Potter
9 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I saw him in around 2008. was great, it was just him on stage with a table with a glass of water. He started to tell jokes and stories and kept getting sidetracked with other stories. i think i spent the whole time laughing. From that i imagined he was the type of guy you would love to go to the pub with and have a laugh with

His story about dropping a jobby out the plane over corstorphine was epic, as a resident there , had a bit meaning lol

12 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

His story about dropping a jobby out the plane over corstorphine was epic, as a resident there , had a bit meaning lol

he never told that one. he did tell the story of a chat he and a few comedians had about their worst shows. This one guy was giving a show that overlooked a dock/pier and a few days previously a disabled person has rolled their wheelchair into the water and died. The comedian when giving the show was not getting any reaction and saw people were looking behind him. It was at this point the persons wheelchair was being lifted out of the water.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I love BC and this is shite what's happening to him. But BC forgot who he was well before Parkinson disease took it's toll . 

On a forum full of absolute throbbing posts you have taken the ******* biscuit with this one. Bravo!

4 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

On a forum full of absolute throbbing posts you have taken the ******* biscuit with this one. Bravo!

Observation. A working class hero to one of the establishment. 

I saw him at the Playhouse, in 1996 I think, and again when he was at the Usher Hall in 2014. While the latter show was good, he was nowhere near as funny as I remember from the earlier one.  Sure, age and illness have taken their toll, but I've thought for quite a while that he had lost something. A good deal of his earlier work was based on observations from life; from his school days, his young adulthood, working in the shipyards, and touring before he was famous.  These are all things he doesn't have anymore and I think his comedy suffered for it.

I too didn't realise Parkinsons affected people like that. My dad had Parkinsons, along with other problems, and was on sharp as a tack until until just before he died. Learning this has just made what I already thought was horrible disease a whole lot worse.

3 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I saw him at the Playhouse, in 1996 I think, and again when he was at the Usher Hall in 2014. While the latter show was good, he was nowhere near as funny as I remember from the earlier one.  Sure, age and illness have taken their toll, but I've thought for quite a while that he had lost something. A good deal of his earlier work was based on observations from life; from his school days, his young adulthood, working in the shipyards, and touring before he was famous.  These are all things he doesn't have anymore and I think his comedy suffered for it.

I too didn't realise Parkinsons affected people like that. My dad had Parkinsons, along with other problems, and was on sharp as a tack until until just before he died. Learning this has just made what I already thought was horrible disease a whole lot worse.

I agree that he did become a bit gentrified. He was hilarious in the 70s and 80s though. I only saw him live once, in the mid 70s while he was wearing banana wellies iirc. 

Man is a legend and part of Scottish culture. Seen him on more than a few occasions. Last one Perth. His good pal Parkinson mentioned he was at a function with hIm in past couple of years(might have been a funeral)  and BC said to Parkinson "I know you don't I?" or words to that effect. Really sad times. Man is a genius.   

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Fek me Aussie.

Forgot who he was before this disease.

Although I appreciated his observational comedy better in his earlier days .

This was a guy that grew into his life.

You don't.

Fekin stunted inward looking shite and bitter post from you.

You have a real chip on your shoulder son.

21 hours ago, Jamdub said:

Unfortunately it does both and as Billy had a very intelligent brain and unbelievable recall, which was made what him such a great storyteller and funny man.

Not in all cases, thankfully!

Cognitive decline is more common in elderly onset however.

Governor Tarkin
20 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Observation. A working class hero to one of the establishment. 

Correct. Working class people have no right to try and improve their material conditions.

Better to remain a martyr to the oppressed underclass eh.

Billy may be suffering from what is known as Parkinson's with Lewy Body Dementia, it's a severe form of the disease which involves severe cognitive decline and fast progression. Robin Williams was diagnosed with this form not long before he committed suicide.

One of the biggest challenges in PD is defining the different sub types of the condition, it is becoming widely accepted that Parkinson's is an umbrella term for multiple different forms in the same sense that cancer is an umbrella term for multiple different forms. However currently there are limited treatment pathways for PD, so it's more difficult to tailor a treatment regime specific to an individual.

I actually have one of the known sub types caused by a mutation in the Parkin gene, which is a common form for those who are diagnosed in their 30s or earlier, it is characterised by slow progression, good response to the drugs and no cognitive impact. This is probably why 4 years post diagnosis I still work full time, I'm a father to a two year old son and still have an active social life (including being at Dunfermline away on Saturday past!).

It is very much still an awful illness, but not quite as awful for some as it is for others.

2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Billy may be suffering from what is known as Parkinson's with Lewy Body Dementia, it's a severe form of the disease which involves severe cognitive decline and fast progression. Robin Williams was diagnosed with this form not long before he committed suicide.

One of the biggest challenges in PD is defining the different sub types of the condition, it is becoming widely accepted that Parkinson's is an umbrella term for multiple different forms in the same sense that cancer is an umbrella term for multiple different forms. However currently there are limited treatment pathways for PD, so it's more difficult to tailor a treatment regime specific to an individual.

I actually have one of the known sub types caused by a mutation in the Parkin gene, which is a common form for those who are diagnosed in their 30s or earlier, it is characterised by slow progression, good response to the drugs and no cognitive impact. This is probably why 4 years post diagnosis I still work full time, I'm a father to a two year old son and still have an active social life (including being at Dunfermline away on Saturday past!).

It is very much still an awful illness, but not quite as awful for some as it is for others.

Great to hear you have responded so well to the treatment. :thumb: