The Shit-Life Syndrome.

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Brutal, this from studies and data from various sources, a mixture of poverty related life styles and an increasingly  growing inequality world.

Trends in the US are more serious and foretell what is likely to happen in Britain without an urgent change in course. Death rates of people in midlife(between 25 and 64) are increasing across the racial and ethnic divide. It has long been known that the mortality rates of midlife American black and Hispanic people have been worse than the non-Hispanic white population, but last week the British Medical Journal published an important study re-examining the trends for all racial groups between 1999 and 2016 .

THEGUARDIAN.COM

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

Brutal, this from studies and data from various sources, a mixture of poverty related life styles and an increasingly  growing inequality world.

Trends in the US are more serious and foretell what is likely to happen in Britain without an urgent change in course. Death rates of people in midlife(between 25 and 64) are increasing across the racial and ethnic divide. It has long been known that the mortality rates of midlife American black and Hispanic people have been worse than the non-Hispanic white population, but last week the British Medical Journal published an important study re-examining the trends for all racial groups between 1999 and 2016 .

THEGUARDIAN.COM

Living in scotland is not too bad, i speak to a lot of Americans and they think Edinburgh is lovely, TBH they are not wrong.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Wait til inflation really hits. It will be the 70s again. 

Somehow I don't think I'll ever see  UK inflation rates of 24% or even 15% or even 11% again.

However if I do, well at least I might actually get something back on my savings.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Somehow I don't think I'll ever see  UK inflation rates of 24% or even 15% or even 11% again.

However if I do, well at least I might actually get something back on my savings.

Swings and roonaboots. ⚖️

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Swings and roonaboots. ⚖️

Yip, as is everything, sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, and usually life is a bitch and then you die.

SwindonJambo
4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, as is everything, sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, and usually life is a bitch and then you die.

Now there's a cheery thought :D

I agree about the 70s being tough times, especially in Scotland. My dad had one pair of shoes and I don't remember us eating terribly well. They'd just stretched to getting a bigger house and moved from Blantyre to Hamilton (believe me, that's a step up!). Already skint, shortly afterwards they got news that a bonus 3rd baby was on the way :)

Yep, 25pc inflation, 15pc interest rates, the 3 day week and frequent power cuts. Such fun! Not. Can't see it getting that bad but there may be an upheaval of some sort .

4 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Now there's a cheery thought :D

I agree about the 70s being tough times, especially in Scotland. My dad had one pair of shoes and I don't remember us eating terribly well. They'd just stretched to getting a bigger house and moved from Blantyre to Hamilton (believe me, that's a step up!). Already skint, shortly afterwards they got news that a bonus 3rd baby was on the way :)

Yep, 25pc inflation, 15pc interest rates, the 3 day week and frequent power cuts. Such fun! Not. Can't see it getting that bad but there may be an upheaval of some sort .

That's not a step, that's a set of stairs. 

SwindonJambo
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

That's not a step, that's a set of stairs. 

:D

It was even more true back then, when both towns were in a far worse state than they are today, Blantyre especially. An old coal mining town, with about 10 pits, it never really recovered when they closed.

21 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Living in scotland is not too bad, i speak to a lot of Americans and they think Edinburgh is lovely, TBH they are not wrong.

Edinburgh is a lovely city, but it's sadly becoming a city which is dividing the classes more and more. It really is a mini London in many respects, and that's not just my views.

I'm fairly middle of the road. I'm 24 and earn less than 20k a year. It's very difficult to do much more than just get by in a city like Edinburgh. 

John Findlay
15 minutes ago, Locky said:

Edinburgh is a lovely city, but it's sadly becoming a city which is dividing the classes more and more. It really is a mini London in many respects, and that's not just my views.

I'm fairly middle of the road. I'm 24 and earn less than 20k a year. It's very difficult to do much more than just get by in a city like Edinburgh. 

It is a smaller version of London. Apart from both being major tourist attractions. What else do they have in common?

Parliments. They come with politicians. Who in turn come with lots of people baggage. That makes property prices sky rocket in both buying to own and the rental market. Politicians are the experts of the world when it comes to spending money. Especially when it's not theirs.

doctor jambo

Lots of problems but no solutions.

How do you empower people to change?

How do you get people to aspire?

9 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Vote Conservative.

6 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

Vote Conservative.

Piss off to Spain and then spout rubbish on a football message board is surely the answer to DJs question

9 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

:D

It was even more true back then, when both towns were in a far worse state than they are today, Blantyre especially. An old coal mining town, with about 10 pits, it never really recovered when they closed.

Did you call it blanty? 

SwindonJambo
Just now, ri Alban said:

Did you call it blanty? 

Nope.

Common local pronunciation is Blant'ir, with stress on the 1st syllable and  a glottal stop on the t :D

Just now, SwindonJambo said:

Nope.

Common local pronunciation is Blant'ir, with stress on the 1st syllable and  a glottal stop on the t :D

Is High Blant'ir the posh or rough bit. I can't remember. I used to delivery parcels at Blantyre (Technology park too) and Hamilton. Hamilton high St is a nightmare. People were great tho' 

SwindonJambo
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Is High Blant'ir the posh or rough bit. I can't remember. I used to delivery parcels at Blantyre (Technology park too) and Hamilton. Hamilton high St is a nightmare. People were great tho' 

Umm, Blant'ir doesn't do posh and never has done. High Blant'ir definitely rougher than Low.

'Hamilton High Street' sounds like Brandon Street, where there's the Central Train and bus station, 1 way system, my old school of Hamilton Grammar and a general traffic nightmare at peak times.

I left at 14 and I'm now 51 but I still visit several times a year and my original accent's barely moved, if at all.

The people are by and large, fine though there is a bit of a Ned culture. The area is definitely in far better shape now than when I left in '81, when it was in freefall, largely thanks to the lovely Mrs Thatcher.

SwindonJambo
11 hours ago, John Findlay said:

It is a smaller version of London. Apart from both being major tourist attractions. What else do they have in common?

Parliments. They come with politicians. Who in turn come with lots of people baggage. That makes property prices sky rocket in both buying to own and the rental market. Politicians are the experts of the world when it comes to spending money. Especially when it's not theirs.

That’s a very good shout and there are certainly lots of parallels. However, cosmopolitan as it is and crawling with tourists, Edinburgh at least still feels like Scotland, whenever I visit to watch the JTs.

London is increasingly feeling like a wee country all of its own whenever I’ve visited, most recently last weekend. It’s becoming like a city state like Singapore. It’s full of foreign money, parked to avoid the Taxman where it comes from. Loads of fancy luxury flat developments lie 80% empty with absentee owners elsewhere and homeless living nearby. Her maj gets her 400 million quid refit of Buck House with the rest of us picking up the tab. Property prices are far out of reach even for people on quite good money. 

Yes, it’s a nice place for a Day trip with lots to see  but imho it’s the very embodiment of grotesque inequality and much that is wrong with the World. 

John Findlay
16 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

I don't know if anyone else has been watching a brilliant wee documentary series on BBC2 calleD Blitz. Bombs that changed Britain.

This week it was all about the Clydebank Blitz that took place over two nights of the 13th and 14th of March 1941.

It concentrates mainly on a bomb that fell on tenements in Jellicoe Street and how families in that street were affected 

I have a very personal interest in the Clydebank blitz as my late father was a bank ie and was three and a half years old when his tenement in second avenue was blown up. He always said his first flit was cutesy of Hitler's removal company.

Why this thread and quote this post.

It's what the working people of Clydebank did immediately after the blitz that is very impressive.

What these people did is what I personally believe we as a society have lost a lot of nowadays.

Watch it's well worth it and you may or may not agree with what I'm getting at.

doctor jambo
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I don't know if anyone else has been watching a brilliant wee documentary series on BBC2 calleD Blitz. Bombs that changed Britain.

This week it was all about the Clydebank Blitz that took place over two nights of the 13th and 14th of March 1941.

It concentrates mainly on a bomb that fell on tenements in Jellicoe Street and how families in that street were affected 

I have a very personal interest in the Clydebank blitz as my late father was a bank ie and was three and a half years old when his tenement in second avenue was blown up. He always said his first flit was cutesy of Hitler's removal company.

Why this thread and quote this post.

It's what the working people of Clydebank did immediately after the blitz that is very impressive.

What these people did is what I personally believe we as a society have lost a lot of nowadays.

Watch it's well worth it and you may or may not agree with what I'm getting at.

The collapse of "community" is at the root of a lot of issues.

There is no-one who REALLY cares when someone becomes ill, frail, depressed.

Or at least not in the way a family would