Osteotomy / Knee Realigment Surgery

been here before

been here before

Anyone had this done? 

Ive been recommended for it as Im too young for new knees so Im doing a bit if research. There's plenty enough online but I dont know anyone else whose had it done.

If so has it helped? Made much difference? Would you recommend it? Good recovery times?

Any info really

Thanks.

Got a friend that's been in for it several times. I might be wrong but I think it's trial and error if it works properly or not. His knees are still a sack of shit. Nobody I know with bad knees (myself and wife included) has been given a treatment that really works. Other than the older folk I know that've had full or partial knee replacements, who mostly say it's the best thing they ever had done. 

I don't get this too young pish. What's the point of giving stuff to old coffin dodgers, younger folk still need to work. 

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I don't get this too young pish. What's the point of giving stuff to old coffin dodgers, younger folk still need to work. 

Because it's expensive and they only last for so long. You won't get another hence they would rather you wait to get the best use out of it. 

Unless you go private of course

Edited by AlimOzturk

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Knee replacements are screwed/bolted on and the bone doesn't take the fixings for long enough to last a lifetime. 

27 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Knee replacements are screwed/bolted on and the bone doesn't take the fixings for long enough to last a lifetime. 

20 years would do. A  mobility scooter will do me after that. 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

So if you had to give up golf at around age twenty  because of bad knees, and make your living climbing ladders and crawling about roofs what would be the point of giving you new knees they would last about a week.Do you as a result of this suffer a lot nof pain, if so this could account for some of your extreme anger displayed regularly on here, especially towards those of senior years who are enjoying all the benefits of life, golfing daily on their new hips and knees, happy with life and making a pleasant holiday of avoiding death or in your vernacular dodging coffins. You will be glad to know that age eighty three, in October I will be retired for twenty eight years, complete with missing bits, new replacements, all on the medical program supported by the young like yourself who have to work hard to help me with my golf club dues and other benefits such as good pensions, seniors travel rates, seniors discounts, and beautiful big luxury homes bought through inflated real estate prices. Oh when I think about it I can see why you are so angry (jealous?).:greggy:

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

So if you had to give up golf at around age twenty  because of bad knees, and make your living climbing ladders and crawling about roofs what would be the point of giving you new knees they would last about a week.Do you as a result of this suffer a lot nof pain, if so this could account for some of your extreme anger displayed regularly on here, especially towards those of senior years who are enjoying all the benefits of life, golfing daily on their new hips and knees, happy with life and making a pleasant holiday of avoiding death or in your vernacular dodging coffins. You will be glad to know that age eighty three, in October I will be retired for twenty eight years, complete with missing bits, new replacements, all on the medical program supported by the young like yourself who have to work hard to help me with my golf club dues and other benefits such as good pensions, seniors travel rates, seniors discounts, and beautiful big luxury homes bought through inflated real estate prices. Oh when I think about it I can see why you are so angry (jealous?).:greggy:

:touche:

I'm not, awrigggggghtttttt!!!!! 

:rofl:

It's because bone cells are constantly destroyed and replaced, with the entire human skeleton being internally replaced every 10-15 years or so.

This means that any kind of surgical metalwork bolted onto the bones will be worked loose over time as the bone cells themselves are replaced by the body.

CheapRealisticConure-size_restricted.gif

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

A  cost cutting exercise then. 

Cost avoidance if anything.

Main reason is that the younger and more active you are the less time the replacement lasts, younger than 55? something like 1 in 10 total knee replacements will fail/need revision surgery within 8 years, 65 or over? you'll probably be fine until you die (neither of the stats include the 1 in 4 that fail due to infection).

My dug had an osteotomy and knee realignment after tearing her cruciate, she's still banging about like a new dug. ?

been here before
7 minutes ago, Sharky999 said:

My dug had an osteotomy and knee realignment after tearing her cruciate, she's still banging about like a new dug. ?

Best recommendation yet. Cheers.

Might be able to run after sticks and lick my own nuggets if I go ahead with it. Something to think about.

?

been here before
23 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Got a friend that's been in for it several times. I might be wrong but I think it's trial and error if it works properly or not. His knees are still a sack of shit. Nobody I know with bad knees (myself and wife included) has been given a treatment that really works. Other than the older folk I know that've had full or partial knee replacements, who mostly say it's the best thing they ever had done. 

I didnt know you could get it done and redone.

Funnily as far as replacements go Im the opposite. Ive never came across anyone whose said their replacement knee op helped.

Plenty of good things about hips though.

58 minutes ago, been here before said:

I didnt know you could get it done and redone.

Funnily as far as replacements go Im the opposite. Ive never came across anyone whose said their replacement knee op helped.

Plenty of good things about hips though.

It's maybe just his knee caps that they've been continually taking bits off, I've maybe got it a bit wrong. In any case, they never seem to have magical success with this type of thing. They can grow you a new heart or an ear though. Probably grow you a new set of baws if you want. It's easy to see where they don't spend money in medical research isn't it. 

Have numerous friends and neighbours who have had either hip or knee replacement, I am a hipreplacement receiver. I had one friend who had three hip replacements in a short time. He would get out of hospital and real fast hit the golf course. He became a joke because every mens night an ambulance had to be called because of a hip problem. It didn't come to a halt until his sons stopped golfing with him, and forced him also to do proper rehab.The knee patients all took considerable time to rehab and used their sports activities more for fresh air than to be highly competent at their game. Replacement is an excellent thing, but it I suggest is a replacement for normal activities, not for things such as your young days golf style, it has to be kept in mind that they are a necessity to alleviate pain, and to allow normal activity, pushing the envelope is not an alternative.

19 hours ago, been here before said:

Best recommendation yet. Cheers.

Might be able to run after sticks and lick my own nuggets if I go ahead with it. Something to think about.

?

Good luck  mate if you go ahead with it. ?

Cairneyhill Jambo

I suffered a torn meniscus playing football about 15 years ago. I had the surgery to remove the flap of cartilage that was causing my knee to lock all the time. 

I now have osteoarthritis in my because of that surgery. They didn't tell me this would happen at the time of surgery.  I've no cartilage left in my right knee and haven't been able to the things I loved doing. Playing 5 a sides or doing hill walking. 

So here I am, 49 years old and basically find it hard doing day to day things. Even getting in and out of my car is an effort. If I do decide to walk2 or 3 miles, I've got to take 4 ibuprofen tablets just to numb the pain.

I went to my doctors a couple of years ago and they won't even consider a new knee joint as i'm too young. The doc said it's like replacing wall tiles. The more you replace the the tiles, the more wall plaster comes off which makes it difficult to put new tiles on. 

Old age doesn't come itself. Lol. 

On 16/08/2018 at 06:49, ri Alban said:

A  cost cutting exercise then. 

Read what people are posting, eh?

Knee replacements only last so long, and they are a major disruption to your life - and you can't get them repeatedly.  So what the experts have done is to devise a combination of treatments, including replacements, to maximise the amount of time the patient spends on their feet and mobile.  If you replace knees too early, you are guaranteeing that later in life the person will be confined to a wheelchair.

been here before
10 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

I suffered a torn meniscus playing football about 15 years ago. I had the surgery to remove the flap of cartilage that was causing my knee to lock all the time. 

I now have osteoarthritis in my because of that surgery. They didn't tell me this would happen at the time of surgery.  I've no cartilage left in my right knee and haven't been able to the things I loved doing. Playing 5 a sides or doing hill walking. 

So here I am, 49 years old and basically find it hard doing day to day things. Even getting in and out of my car is an effort. If I do decide to walk2 or 3 miles, I've got to take 4 ibuprofen tablets just to numb the pain.

I went to my doctors a couple of years ago and they won't even consider a new knee joint as i'm too young. The doc said it's like replacing wall tiles. The more you replace the the tiles, the more wall plaster comes off which makes it difficult to put new tiles on. 

Im a bit similar. Same with the oain with walking etc, painkillers and shite but the problems a bit different.

My knee joints are at an angle so instead of a nice straight regular joint the bones between the top and bottom bones rub together on the inside. Im a year younger than you so a replacement isnt an option but given the state they're now in something needs to be done hence this re-aligment that should see me through till replacements are more viable. They basically cut, bend and wedge the bone to straighten it.

I still cant find a soul whose had it done but Ive found 2 people with dogs who it seems to have worked with :lol:

On 19/08/2018 at 21:23, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

I

I'm in a similar state, I'm 63 and ruptured my ACL  & medial co-lateral ligaments playing rugby in 1983. In those days they could not or would not fix it. Fast forward 35 years I have osteo -arthritis in both knees. Left one hurts a lot, had to give up bowls as the knee can't take it. Used to walk a lot and up to five years ago could do 6 miles no bother. Now I struggle to walk a mile without discomfort, can't kneel or get up from a mat at the gym anymore. I stick to low impact exercise bike & cross trainer.

My gp says I need to be in pain and taking pain killers especially at night. Trouble is, I'm on warfarin and not allowed ibuprofen.

I want to stay active, but it's proving difficult. My argument is that it's better to replace my knee while I'm fit & healthy enough to cope with it, & benefit from it.

As someone says, give me it now, when it needs re-doing, I'll get a mobility scooter.

Anyone successfully persuaded their GP to refer them for a replacement nt?

Edited by argyjambo
Spelling