Jump to content
FWJ

Mike Ashley Buys Jenners

Recommended Posts

John Findlay

Will it be a first at Jenners? Rangers tops displayed in their shop windows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian

Big JENNERS worded mugs the size of your head.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert
Just now, Victorian said:

Big JENNERS worded mugs the size of your head.   

:lol:

 

Don't forget the stationary aswell and the staff will be cutting about in shorts aswell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Big JENNERS worded mugs the size of your head.   

 

Probably and different uniforms.

 

Or probably nothing because it's successful anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barack

Zero hours contracts, for Maureen & her chums.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta

Great, that will be sulky, unfriendly staff in Jenners now. Anybody you ask for help, or you want served at the counter, it’s like you’ve got Kevin the teenager in front of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dino Velvet

maxresdefault-800x504.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boris
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Great, that will be sulky, unfriendly staff in Jenners now. Anybody you ask for help, or you want served at the counter, it’s like you’ve got Kevin the teenager in front of you.

 

Not been in Jenners for a while, but last time I was in, that was my experience!

 

Thought the customer service really dipped after HoF bought it over, tbh.

Edited by Boris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
Just now, Boris said:

 

Not been in Jenners for a while, but last time I was in, that was my experience!

 

I’m in there every now and then and have always found them pleasant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lemongrab

At Christmas,  Santa will be sporting a red trackie and a beanie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boris
Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

 

I’m in there every now and then and have always found them pleasant.

 

I'm sure they are, similarly, whenever I've been in a Sports Direct, the folk working there have been polite and really helpful!

 

'Sa funny old game...

 

Image result for greavsie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
Just now, Boris said:

 

I'm sure they are, similarly, whenever I've been in a Sports Direct, the folk working there have been polite and really helpful!

 

'Sa funny old game...

 

Image result for greavsie

 

Sure is :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boris
Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

 

Sure is :lol:

 

:thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, Boris said:

 

:thumb:

 

Right back at ya :thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boris
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

 

Right back at ya :thumb:

Image result for greavsie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, Boris said:

Image result for greavsie

 

 

5F8D5A2A-EA0F-498E-A014-F1A7CEC43190.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boris
7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

 

 

5F8D5A2A-EA0F-498E-A014-F1A7CEC43190.jpeg

 

:rofl::rofl::rofl: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor

No need for Leigh Griffiths on this thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seymour M Hersh

Binns to be an SD warehouse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Escobar PHM
Posted (edited)

£90 million !!!! for the whole company and all the stock plus any buildings they own outright.

He walks away from all rental debt, running into millions and he can bin the company pension scheme that employees have been paying into for years

Creditors hung out to dry with this deal that was obviously on the back shelf before they went into administration.

 

This is just wrong !!!

Edited by Escobar PHM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
All roads lead to Gorgie

This is sure to mean Lonsdale boxing gear will be the top designer fashion items available from now on in Jenners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marvin
4 hours ago, FWJ said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45140874

 

Or, more accurately, Sports Direct buys House of Fraser.

 

Hmmmm.  I wonder what this will mean for the grand old lady of Princes Street.

 

 

 

That's an iconic department store about to go down the plug hole. Used to meet the burd outside on a Saturday night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ribble

Really disappointed with the news, I was really looking forward to splashing a wad of next months bonus pay on liquidation discounted clothes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
51 minutes ago, Marvin said:

 

That's an iconic department store about to go down the plug hole. Used to meet the burd outside on a Saturday night. 

Then you married her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marvin
4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Then you married her.

 

I bloody wish. In truth I blew it. At the time I had other things going on. As a result I let her get away. She is now married to a Dunfermline fan and currently lives through there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

 

I bloody wish. In truth I blew it. At the time I had other things going on. As a result I let her get away. She is now married to a Dunfermline fan and currently lives through there.

Que Sera Sera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marvin
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Que Sera Sera.

 

On the bright side at least she didn't get hitched to a bloody hibby. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tazio
5 hours ago, Boris said:

 

 

Thought the customer service really dipped after HoF bought it over, tbh.

And worse than that they stopped selling John Smedley gear. Shocking state of affairs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Marvin said:

 

On the bright side at least she didn't get hitched to a bloody hibby. 

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambothump
3 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

£90 million !!!! for the whole company and all the stock plus any buildings they own outright.

He walks away from all rental debt, running into millions and he can bin the company pension scheme that employees have been paying into for years

Creditors hung out to dry with this deal that was obviously on the back shelf before they went into administration.

 

This is just wrong !!!

Bloody good deal for him, asset stripping is like buying a vintage car and selling it off for the parts,  which are worth a lot more separately, than the sum value of the whole car.

2002 at least through to 2009 HoF wasted, literally millions in new and existing store fit-outs, plenty of their people and contractors lined their pockets. Belfast, Dublin, Norwich in 2004/5 alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Der Kaiser

I've been asked to leave Jenner's twice for mucking about in the toy department.

 

I was in my early teens and both occasions were close to Christmas.

 

I'm proud of both these moments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
2 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

£90 million !!!! for the whole company and all the stock plus any buildings they own outright.

He walks away from all rental debt, running into millions and he can bin the company pension scheme that employees have been paying into for years

Creditors hung out to dry with this deal that was obviously on the back shelf before they went into administration.

 

This is just wrong !!!

That's insolvency law for you, it's no different from when Hearts shed millions that we owed, and the new owners (us) benefitted.

 

It is what it is, these laws exist to keep businesses going, not to benefit creditors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maroondevo52

I put the Gold Leaf on the big letters on the outside of Jenners in princes street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

£90 million !!!! for the whole company and all the stock plus any buildings they own outright.

He walks away from all rental debt, running into millions and he can bin the company pension scheme that employees have been paying into for years

Creditors hung out to dry with this deal that was obviously on the back shelf before they went into administration.

 

This is just wrong !!!

The Jenners building is owned by a super rich woman from Fife and was leased to HoF I'm sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Herbert said:

:lol:

 

Don't forget the stationary aswell and the staff will be cutting about in shorts aswell. 

stationEry. :pimp2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boris
35 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And worse than that they stopped selling John Smedley gear. Shocking state of affairs. 

Writing was on the wall right there! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert
16 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

stationEry. :pimp2:

 

 

My stationery set ran out after a few weeks of school if only sports direct had been around at the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

No need for Leigh Griffiths on this thread

 

Ok, is it safe to come back on and post now. Was getting worried the mods might give me a ban for such an offensive post.

 

5 hours ago, Marvin said:

 

That's an iconic department store about to go down the plug hole. Used to meet the burd outside on a Saturday night. 

 

I’m still gutted about this, one of my favourite shops :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rousset1

Years ago, Jenners toy department was amazing.

 

Now it's shit, reduced to half it's original size by a Barbour concession, I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seymour M Hersh

HoF ruined Jenners. It went from being the Harrods of the north to just another poor HoF store. The Jenners children who sold out to HoF because they couldn't be bothered running it should hang their heads in shame!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cade

Seems that the owner of Edinburgh Woolen Mill made a larger offer for HoF, including preserving their pension fund intact but the Administrators chose to go with the lower Ashley bid

 

:interehjrling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Gentleman
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Seems that the owner of Edinburgh Woolen Mill made a larger offer for HoF, including preserving their pension fund intact but the Administrators chose to go with the lower Ashley bid

 

:interehjrling:

'Scuse my ignorance (retirement pensions work differently here) but what happens to the Jenners/HoF pension fund now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cade
2 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

'Scuse my ignorance (retirement pensions work differently here) but what happens to the Jenners/HoF pension fund now?

Whatever Mike Ashley wants to do with it.

 

The protection of it was not part of his cut price offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FWJ
Posted (edited)

I really hope it stays open and stays as it is.  It’s part of the ‘fabric’ of Edinburgh, like the floral clock or the one o’clock gun, just one of those things that make the city what it is.

Edited by FWJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×