Dogs

Herbert.

10 hours ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

Ugly, smelly, nippy and useless = most dogs :) 

They usually show strong characteristics of the owners.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambof3tornado

• Herbert.

• cosanostra

• Unknown user

8 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

only downside is she likes to bark to tell us there are things outside in the garden like turkeys, deer, squirrels, birds and even people walking on the street which is 100 feet away. 

My dog is the same.  Afternoon doze on the couch rudely interupted because someone walks up the street, past the front window, and baw-jaws decides to bark like a maniac.

That and barking at the birds in the tree in the back garden.  Or trying to catch flies.  

You get used to it I suppose... :wink:

On 8/4/2018 at 22:08, Morgan said:

I’m scared of all dogs but don’t dislike them.

I hate cats.

Apart from Rudi of course Morgan :laugh:

photo.thumb.JPG.d28d42f5a3b68b8bcaed7a723ee13477.JPG

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

I love the way he's resting on that step. I can almost imagine a pint sitting beside him.

Just now, Lemongrab said:

I love the way he's resting on that step. I can almost imagine a pint sitting beside him.

He is quite a dude - Mr Cool

And a Jambo

IMG_1099.thumb.JPG.5a119fa2ba3f7cd314b1fb31c81ef43e.JPG

54 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Goes without saying Mac, he’s a lovely wee thing :thumbsup: 

5 hours ago, Bauld said:

They usually show strong characteristics of the owners.

True that.

If I had one it would be golden haired, a medium to dark tan colour, the limbs of an athlete and very friendly.

Leigh Griffiths pooch however would have 17 pups, a face that looked like it had lost a fight with a wasp, pubic hair on its head and a strong tendency to steal food.

How’s your dog @jonnothejambo ?

:lol: 

• 1 month later...

As much as I like dogs, I could never have one of those types, with the sticky-up tail, whose arsehole is permanently on display. It's just not right. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

As much as I like dogs, I could never have one of those types, with the sticky-up tail, whose arsehole is permanently on display. It's just not right. 

1645670262_download(3).jpg.f5816ec00f672c8a3aee856edfb4a5ea.jpg:smile:

On 08/08/2018 at 10:10, Morgan said:

True that.

If I had one it would be golden haired, a medium to dark tan colour, the limbs of an athlete and very friendly.

Leigh Griffiths pooch however would have 17 pups, a face that looked like it had lost a fight with a wasp, pubic hair on its head and a strong tendency to steal food.

How’s your dog @jonnothejambo ?

:lol: 

On 08/08/2018 at 10:33, jonnothejambo said:

Bald as a coot and hung like a horse.

He asked "How's your dog?", not "How are you?"  :biggrin:

6 hours ago, peter_hmfc said:

I ****ing love cats.

**** you all.

Back of the Wheatfield, one weapon each, now.

Well I suppose I had to agree with one of your posts eventually. 

On 08/08/2018 at 14:11, Lemongrab said:

That's some mohawk. 

3 hours ago, indianajones said:

Mind and pick up after they do their business.

Disgusting that people still dont do this. 

:spoton:

They are more like animals than their dogs are.

ps. Feck cats.

This is my best mate Captain.

4yr old rescue greyhound and former professional athlete.

The charity said the breeder reckons he was fast enough but got distracted too easily. Great guy. We love him a lot.

IMG-20180915-WA0004.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

The missus is currently on the phone agreeing collection date for our new pup. The kids are getting super excited, whilst the missus is like a expectant mother without the fatness! 

They all woke me up this morning that we had been given a dated from when we could collect. 

I can’t lie I’m looking forward to getting the mutt myself. 

Anyone recommend a good training class/school in and around EDinburgh, preferably the west side of town? 

Also anyone recommend a decent home boarder? I understand these needs to be booked months in advance. 

Is it best to keep new pups confined to a relatively small area ie. just a room to start off with to control their environment? We will be caging her initially for bedtime/not in house but I suspect one house trained the cage will be done away with. 

Does anyone know if you get a EU pet passport, if it will be able to be used post brexit?

Any tips welcome.

Also some seriously cute dogs on this thread. 

Don't cage the dog especially when out as they will be anxious enough. Train them to see you leaving as a positive response rather than negative. So any time you leave the house throw it a treat. Do this gradually...for example leave for 15 mins then come back and reward the dog before and after. Then gradually make the timings longer. Make sure the dog has plenty toys, a comfortable place to sleep and plenty water. 

If you cage the dog your just teaching it that it will be confined when you leave and will hate it and will struggle to adapt once you remove the cage. 

Another massive tip I will give is feed the dog raw meaty bones from a young age. As early as 3-4 months old. Get them from the butcher and save yourself the hassle of those dental bills later in life. Don't feed the dog commercial Shitey dog meat such as pedigree or butchers. I recommend a brand like royal Canine or Wainwright's from pets at home but do you own research  They are hypoallergenic and have a far higher meat content and aren't full of the nasty shite in the cheaper brands. Her behaviour and temperament will be the reward.  And don't be frightened to feed it raw meats such as liver, heart and chicken. There stomachs can handle it and is perfectly healthy for them. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Jambof3tornado
On 19/09/2018 at 18:27, indianajones said:

Mind and pick up after they do their business.

Disgusting that people still dont do this. 

Went into argos forgetting I'd a bag of dog shite in my pocket. Guy in front was sniffing at his toddlers arse blaming him!!!

Had a poodle when i was 5, mum and dad bought it as to help the kids fear of dogs.

Love dogs to bits , but now too many roasters with them, sometimes hear them at 3-30 

in the morning, maybe cut their dole back , obviously dont work, oh wait work, 2-10 lol 

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Don't cage the dog especially when out as they will be anxious enough. Train them to see you leaving as a positive response rather than negative. So any time you leave the house throw it a treat. Do this gradually...for example leave for 15 mins then come back and reward the dog before and after. Then gradually make the timings longer. Make sure the dog has plenty toys, a comfortable place to sleep and plenty water. 

If you cage the dog your just teaching it that it will be confined when you leave and will hate it and will struggle to adapt once you remove the cage. 

Another massive tip I will give is feed the dog raw meaty bones from a young age. As early as 3-4 months old. Get them from the butcher and save yourself the hassle of those dental bills later in life. Don't feed the dog commercial Shitey dog meat such as pedigree or butchers. I recommend a brand like royal Canine or Wainwright's from pets at home but do you own research  They are hypoallergenic and have a far higher meat content and aren't full of the nasty shite in the cheaper brands. Her behaviour and temperament will be the reward.  And don't be frightened to feed it raw meats such as liver, heart and chicken. There stomachs can handle it and is perfectly healthy for them. 

Crate training worked for us. He wasn’t left in there for long to begin with and he was never put in there as a punishment.

After a few months we left the door on the crate open, set up a camera we had borrowed from a mate and he spent the majority of the 3 hours he was alone inside his crate with the door open.

Nothing wrong with using a crate, imo. As long as it’s a positive environment for them to be in and they don’t associate the crate with punishment or negative thoughts.

5 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

The missus is currently on the phone agreeing collection date for our new pup. The kids are getting super excited, whilst the missus is like a expectant mother without the fatness! 

They all woke me up this morning that we had been given a dated from when we could collect. 

I can’t lie I’m looking forward to getting the mutt myself. 

Anyone recommend a good training class/school in and around EDinburgh, preferably the west side of town? 

Also anyone recommend a decent home boarder? I understand these needs to be booked months in advance. 

Is it best to keep new pups confined to a relatively small area ie. just a room to start off with to control their environment? We will be caging her initially for bedtime/not in house but I suspect one house trained the cage will be done away with. 

Does anyone know if you get a EU pet passport, if it will be able to be used post brexit?

Any tips welcome.

Also some seriously cute dogs on this thread. 

Check out walk and train Edinburgh...can’t recommend them enough 

http://www.walkandtrainedinburgh.com/

3 hours ago, El Diez said:

Crate training worked for us. He wasn’t left in there for long to begin with and he was never put in there as a punishment.

After a few months we left the door on the crate open, set up a camera we had borrowed from a mate and he spent the majority of the 3 hours he was alone inside his crate with the door open.

Nothing wrong with using a crate, imo. As long as it’s a positive environment for them to be in and they don’t associate the crate with punishment or negative thoughts.

If it works for you and your dog then fair enough. However, I think if they can be avoided they should be. Especially for a puppy that could as easily be trained to behave when their owners are out rather than spending all day in a cage. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

If it works for you and your dog then fair enough. However, I think if they can be avoided they should be. Especially for a puppy that could as easily be trained to behave when their owners are out rather than spending all day in a cage. 

I don’t think anyone is advocating leaving a dog in the crate all day!

We took Dog’s Trust puppy classes at the North Merchiston club on Watson Crescent.

And we are using Straiton Kennels at the moment. First time she’s been boarded but they seem great. They’re only £15 per day too. A lovely couple who love their dogs. You can find them on Facebook but they don’t advertise.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Especially for a puppy that could as easily be trained to behave when their owners are out rather than spending all day in a cage. 

Don’t know who that’s intended for? 

Crate training worked for me. It’s his den, his personal space. He’s in it right now zonked, door wide open.

You don’t agree with it, fair enough. There will be things you do with your dog(s) others don’t agree with.

Thats life.

CavySlaveJambo

the Place I would recommend for Dog Training is one that is almost always recommended when you ask on Doggy Pages on Facebook, even if it is out at Mayfield, and that is Tynewater Dog Training.  Need to get in a book spaces as they are always fully booked at 8 dogs per class (plus three trainers) 

As for food, keep them on what they were on for a few weeks and then change to what you want. Look at all about dog food as well, because some supposedly good brands (Royal Canin etc) are not actually that good. 

Crating is an excellent idea. I did it with our miniature Bull Terrier and he knows when its bedtime/we're going out etc and he's happy enough. 

I have a mate who's dog sleeps in the bed. What. The .****.  Our dogs not even allowed in the bedroom, when did folk lose all boundaries with their pets? Dogs eat actual shite, they sniff other dogs arses and they use their mouths as their first sense. They're ****ing manky. 

Its a dog no a bairn. 

21 hours ago, El Diez said:

100% this. 

The crate isnt a punishment and the dog will see it as they're 'space'. Like the post above, our dog goes in the cage even when we're in! AlimOzturk maybe has the wrong end of the stick with what a cage is actually for? 

CavySlaveJambo

Frodo loves his crate and is more settled with being in the crate when I am  out the house.   Even if it is for something as quick as taking the bins out.  If I am in, he even has opened the door. In fact he can UNLOCK the bottom lock of "Wag End".  Saying that Fro and I are actually really well bonded. So for him I am just the greatest person ever!

Also the other tip I have for you, is when you are toilet training. be consistent. It might mean you end up cold and wet but it shall be worth it in the long run.

9 hours ago, The Brow said:

100% this. 

The crate isnt a punishment and the dog will see it as they're 'space'. Like the post above, our dog goes in the cage even when we're in! AlimOzturk maybe has the wrong end of the stick with what a cage is actually for? 

Not really. I have never seen the point in crate training especially for owners who get dogs as puppies. For the effort put into crate training a dog the same effort could be put into making a dog comfortable with the owner leaving and still having free roam of the house. 

I have seen many awful examples of "crate training" from other dog owners where the dog just looks miserable. They complain that the dog mauls itself, destroys the house when out the cage and real temperament issues. 

Maybe the above clouds my judgement and I have no doubt that the yourself and other posters on here happy ahave well adjusted dogs who aren't in the cage for long periods. But having owned several dogs I have never had any need to crate train. 

I will concede I would consider it for rescue dogs who have spent a long time in a cage for what ever reason. They might find comfort in fimilar sorroundings. 

I only have a cat just now as my we westie of 12 years passed away last year sadly. Cats are untrainable but she keeps the mice away ?

Edited by AlimOzturk

8 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not really. I have never seen the point in crate training especially for owners who get dogs as puppies. For the effort put into crate training a dog the same effort could be put into making a dog comfortable with the owner leaving and still having free roam of the house. 

I have seen many awful examples of "crate training" from other dog owners where the dog just looks miserable. They complain that the dog mauls itself, destroys the house when out the cage and real temperament issues. 

Maybe the above clouds my judgement and I have no doubt that the yourself and other posters on here happy ahave well adjusted dogs who aren't in the cage for long periods. But having owned several dogs I have never had any need to crate train. 

I will concede I would consider it for rescue dogs who have spent a long time in a cage for what ever reason. They might find comfort in fimilar sorroundings. 

I only have a cat just now as my we westie of 12 years passed away last year sadly. Cats are untrainable but she keeps the mice away ?

To be fair my dog is a rescue miniature Bull Terrier, think he's had a hard life as he's covered in scars and isnt overly keen on other dogs. He loves his wee crate though as he sees it as 'his'. The door is never closed but most of the time you'll find him chilling with his blanket there. He's got a bed in the living room he likes when we watch Pointless or the football together. 

Folk that use it to stop the dog going mental and destroying the house are missing the point which is unfortunate. Sorry to hear about your dog, westies are lovely wee things when they're not going mental ?