What are you going to watch at the festival?

DVB

Geoff the Mince
54 minutes ago, jake said:

I fancy going to the photo journalist thing that's on at the parliament.

Has anyone been yet?

I saw that advertised Jake it looks pretty good . 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• the general

• DVB

• All roads lead to Gorgie

• Shanks said no

Got tickets for Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden at the Book Festival plus both nights of Mogwai at Leith Theatre.

Speaking of Iron Maiden, saw them on Tuesday at Newcastle and they put on probably the best gig I have ever seen.

Shanks said no
13 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Not going to see it but the poster made me laugh , how very apt ?

9B468AF2-2CF6-40AA-A972-201A3DC4E763.jpeg

Is that Stott’s brother on the poster or just a random beast?

3fingersreid
1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Is that Stott’s brother on the poster or just a random beast?

It’s grant stott top left I believe 

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

I saw Square Go at Summerhall last night. A two man 'coming of age' play/comedy. I thought it was excellent. Definitely recommend it. 

And to look forward to I have a War of Two Halves, Margaret Thatcher Queen of Soho, Trainspotting, Ruff and a Stevie Wonder Jazz night.

Still lots I fancy though. 

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

It’s grant stott top left I believe 

I meant the bear / beast

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I meant the bear / beast

??

sorry bit slow today ??

Edited by 3fingersreid

5 hours ago, been here before said:

Hipsway eh? Got their album upstairs on vinyl and was listening to them just last week. Thats sort of mid 80s Scottish band who never quite made it. Quite liked them, saw them live a few times way back.

Dont know if you've tried these, I can thouroughly recommend them. You get them from Sainsburys...

a9a026cf2d312bd2a4acb7ed9b6c1ab3.thumb.jpg.6a511af3a86d251358eb129397064898.jpg

THE-HONEY-THIEF-WEBSITE.thumb.png.f9a48cec3f175b978939aee1815bdc30.png

Funnily enough Williams Bros is one of my customers. I will need to see if I can get a sample next time I'm in.

Yeah Hipsway did make it reasonably big back about 86 or 87. The Honeythief being their biggest hit. It was even big in the USA (top 20 I think) which for a wee Scottish band they did OK.

They recorded most of their 2nd album (Scratch the surface) but split up before it was released (it was released anyway but died as the band was no more and it wasn't ever promoted).

I think their bass player went on to form a wee band called  'TEXAS'.

Anyway, looking forward to Saturday. They have a new album coming out in the autumn.

I used to play the Hipsway cassette in my car when I was a lad. Good stuff.

Edited by Pans Jambo

jambos are go!

Never been to anything for years. Realize how important Tourism is to Edinburgh but at no small price given how many locals have abandoned the city centre and it's crowded delights.

Edited by jambos are go!

the general
9 hours ago, maroondevo52 said:

Seen Jimeoin a couple of times, good stuff.

cheap tickets for this and Daniel Sloss on ITISON 

Got a couple of friends performing at the free festival, 

Jacques Barrett - Comedian

Jarred Fell - Adult Comedy Magician

Andrew McKinley - Mentalist

All good guys and good acts! Recommend going to see them if you have a chance

maroondevo52
2 hours ago, the general said:

cheap tickets for this and Daniel Sloss on ITISON 

Thanks for that, no to keen on Daniel Sloss saw him a couple of years ago.

5 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

The date on the link is 17/11/18.

Doh! ??‍♀️ I just assumed it was for the festival, sorry.

On 01/08/2018 at 08:39, Jambos_1874 said:

Going to see The Pieman Cometh; really looking forward to it.

The Pieman Cometh is really funny. 

Saw it today. Bryan Jackson was there as well. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Flo and Joan from the Nationwide adverts are here

4pm Pleasance Courtyard 

Thanks for letting us know. I’ll bring the eggs. 

Festival/Fringe largely passes me by, tbh. As a busker in the late '80's/early' 90's I avoided it like the plague. Far too many talented people for me to compete with. Made absolutely £0, when I first tried. 

Did hear on the radio this afternoon that the biggest ticket selling event in the World is the Olympics, 2nd is the World Cup and 3rd...the Edinburgh Festival/Fringe. 

Quite amazing, if true. 

3fingersreid

Went to see Raymond Mearns tonight 7pm at the beehive , thought he was really good , as he said free to get in but pay to get out ??

On 03/08/2018 at 05:30, Helzibob said:

For folk fancying the absolute jam, you can get reduced priced tickets on it is on. 

https://www.itison.com/Edinburgh/events/the-absolute-jam-la-belle-angele

Think my mate went to this on Friday. He was definitely unhappy about paying 26 quid for two people to get into something at La Belle Angele on Friday night that's for sure.

Today I done some guy who was in a coma at Bar Bados. It was bad. Don't go.

Then I went to Alistair Willams? That may or not be right. I enjoyed it, but not necessarily because of him.

Colin Cloud was excellent. He knew my dream. I don't know how. I'll find out.

Then we walked into Udderbelly at Grassmarket and were flyered for The Story Beast. It was starting in 1 minute. We bought tickets and went in. I don't even know what happened but it was great. If you don't like random weird shit then don't go.

the general
On 8/3/2018 at 11:50, maroondevo52 said:

Thanks for that, no to keen on Daniel Sloss saw him a couple of years ago.

he was good last year

On 8/3/2018 at 17:07, Mikey1874 said:

Flo and Joan from the Nationwide adverts are here

4pm Pleasance Courtyard 

Horrendous stuff. Just awful.

Sex Panther

Seen a few acts already:

David O'Doherty - 8/10 Really funny, would recommend

Gary Delaney - 7/10 Expected better, given his reputation (it was a preview show, so may improve as the run continues)

Cazaleon (sp) - 6/10 Was picked at random knowing nothing about it and was strangely entertained. Great voice as well.

Tom Lucy 4/10 - Seen 10 mins of him at the Tartan Ribbon event last year, but he was nowhere near as good in a full show. (possibly down to the small venue, possibly not)

The Bench - 8/10 Really good play, written and starring Keir McAllister. Again, would recommend.

Jay Lafferty - 5/10 The search for a good comedienne continues....

Chris Washington - 8/10 - Went to see him based on his Best Newcomer nomination and wasn't disappointed. If you're at the Pleasance, he's definitely worth a punt.

Got Jason Byrne, Paul Foot, Limmy, Barnardo's gig, Tartan Ribbon, and Comedy Awards show still to come...

All roads lead to Gorgie

Went to see the play The Marilyn Conspiracy. It was very well acted even with a couple of ex soap stars being in the cast. You certainly leave thinking Marilyn Monroe was murdered and no way it was suicide.

On 02/08/2018 at 12:50, frankblack said:

Got tickets for Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden at the Book Festival plus both nights of Mogwai at Leith Theatre.

Speaking of Iron Maiden, saw them on Tuesday at Newcastle and they put on probably the best gig I have ever seen.

Huge Maiden fan but seen Dickinson at the Assembly rooms last October when his book had just come out, was bored to tears, spent more time talking about his love of planes than anything else, only consolation was being able to punt the signed copy of the book and get my ticket money back.

On a separate note seen a couple of things at the free fringe yesterday, both of which were very good, 

James Nokise's 'Britain, lets talk about golliwogs' at Fireside, market street, 2.30 pm every day

Rob Kemps 'Wheel of Shows' at Monkey Barrel, Blaire street, 1.15 every day (show is £5 a ticket or pay what you want, if it's busy tickets get in, PWYW don't) 

logie green
1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Went to see the play The Marilyn Conspiracy. It was very well acted even with a couple of ex soap stars being in the cast. You certainly leave thinking Marilyn Monroe was murdered and no way it was suicide.

saw this on saturday and thought it was really good. made you think might look into it more

pete firman last night fun magic show but the venue was roasting

4 hours ago, the general said:

What Girls are made of on Saturday

Lucky you got your tickets early, the 5 star reviews are piling up and it’s selling out. 

The Continental Op

Saw the play It's True, It's True, It's True at the Underbelly last Friday. Frank, fearless and provoking Fringe drama at its best. Th intimacy of the venue (60 seats) make the intensity of the subject matter ( the 1612 trial for the rape of baroque painter Artemisia Gentileschi) uncomfortable viewing at times. It's based on surviving court transcripts, updated to modern english and modern dress, inviting comparisons on what has really changed in 400 years...

Warning - partial nudity (14+ age limit)

Tonight for contrast is the Ice dance/ballet  Vertical Influences at Murrayfield Ice Rink.

the general
20 hours ago, Tazio said:

Lucky you got your tickets early, the 5 star reviews are piling up and it’s selling out. 

try the Traverse directly 

the general
20 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Not a problem for me seeing it, I do the sound for it.

ha ha ....  was just putting it out there 

was quite surprised it was a Regular promotion  

maroondevo52

My nephews band Retro Video Club played on The Ross Bandstand last night backing, The Vaccines and Bastille.

Graham Fellows and Jon Culshaw next weekend.

A few family shows last weekend.

A magician, Andew Roper and Grumpy Pants.

Stranger Faces in the Royal Mile were amazing!

HALF-PRICE FRINGE TICKETS

Simply follow the links below and use the code 50off to get half-price tickets - Book Now!

The One Thirty Comedy Cabaret
Stand's New Town Theatre (George St) 1:30pm Daily
Half-Price Tickets - £3 Book Here

The Five Thirty Cabaret 
Stand's New Town Theatre (George St) 5:30pm Daily
Half-Price Tickets - £3 Book Here

The Best Of Irish Comedy 
Stand's New Town Theatre (George St) 6:35pm Daily
Half-Price Tickets - £7.50 Book Here

The Best Of Scotish Comedy 
Stand's New Town Theatre (George St) 8:20pm Daily

The Stand's Pick Of The Fringe (George St) (Friday's & Saturday's)
Stand's New Town Theatre (George St) 10:50pm
TONIGHT'S line-up is Jojo Smith, Gavin Webster, Ed Patrick, Irman Yusuf & Bennett Arron 

AlphonseCapone

Been to a couple of the, In Conversation with... Shows that are on at the Freemason's Hall, quite interesting. 

Saw Neil Delamere who I thought was great. And went to Frankie Boyle last night though not technically part of the Fringe I don't think. One of the warm up acts was Fern Brady, she's originally from Bathgate and is on the Live at the BBC show that's up on iPlayer just now. 

Also not sure if it's part of the fringe but went to the summer sessions at the Gardens on Thursday to see the Vaccines and Bastille. Whole set up was good, good vibe, folk enjoying themselves without anyone being a tit. A young Edinburgh band were on first, Retro Video Club, I'd never heard them but they were pretty enjoyable. Watched the fireworks from the Gardens at the end. All in all, very good value for the money I thought. 

I get the moans about living in the city during it all. I'm pretty bipolar about it. Moan like hell going in and out of work each morning then love it when I'm out and about soaking up the atmosphere. The earlier point about Leith Street was bang on. Council need to start making the city better for the folk that live here too. 

On 08/08/2018 at 14:02, Tazio said:

Great show ..

. Sound was ropey tho ☺☺

Went to see Stephen K Amos. He was pretty good. Went to see a musical called Vulvarine, yes it’s as weird as the name suggests but was laugh out loud funny and really well done. 

Saw Anna Meredith doing her Varmints album with a 30 piece orchestra last night. Sounded amazing and bizarrely they finished with Enter Sandman by Metallica during which the guitarist managed to fit in the theme from The Bill. You can’t beat the sound of an orchestra giving a piece of well known music a good kicking.