What are you going to watch at the festival?

DVB

Just wondered what people are going to see at the festival? 

I passed a board today and saw Dylan Moran was performing and quite fancied going to see him as I liked Black books.

Anyone got any other recommendations?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• the general

• DVB

• All roads lead to Gorgie

• Shanks said no

been here before
36 minutes ago, DVB said:

Just wondered what people are going to see at the festival? 

Nothing. Cannae stand it.

Avoid it like the plague.

Might take in some free shows at Cab Voltaire and other Free Fringe venues.

Other than that nothing grabs the attention this year

4 hours ago, been here before said:

Nothing. Cannae stand it.

Avoid it like the plague.

:spoton:

Enough has been said.

Jambos_1874

Going to see The Pieman Cometh; really looking forward to it. Seeing Frankie Boyle too (not sure if that is linked with the festival though) and one other comedian. 

Don't get the hate for the festival as we're incredibly lucky to have a world renowned event like that in the city. Who cares if it makes your life slightly difficult for one month of the year. Price worth paying IMO.

Edited by Jambos_1874

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Dick n Dom!!!

That sounds funny reminds me of when Mike Myers parody the wide awake club with the sound asleep club.

13 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Going to see The Pieman Cometh; really looking forward to it. Seeing Frankie Boyle too (not sure if that is linked with the festival though) and one other comedian. 

Don't get the hate for the festival as we're incredibly lucky to have a world renowned event like that in the city. Who cares if it makes your life slightly difficult for one month of the year. Price worth paying IMO.

Worth watching just to show our appreciation for Bryan Jackson.

This year I shall be watching...nothing

:sob:

To those who are going to something...hope it's worthwhile.

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Spot on. Difficult to argue that Edinburgh people aren't miserable sods when you hear stuff like that.

Shanks said no

For the first 46 years of my life I was a Festival hater, decided to give it a chance back in 2012 and love it now.

so far this year we are booked to see

•Margaret Thatcher Queen of Soho

•Fifty shades of May

•3 free BBC shows

•Trumpageddon 

•Guru Dudu Silent disco walking tour

•Putting on the Blitz Frank Sanazi

•Illicit Thrill

•Michelle McManus

•The Absolute Jam

•Christine Bovill

Will be booking another load of tickets on Friday including the pieman and awarof2halves.

Need some more comedy recommendations

Tip - get a friends of fringe membership and lots of shows are half price

Jason Byrne tomorrow.

Colin Cloud on Monday.

David O'Doherty on Wednesday.

Out for the whole day on Monday so will check out some other stuff too.

Steve Day, Deaf Comedian, or the only one I've heard anyway. Free but if you don't put a tenner in the bucket at the end you're a tight *****.

4 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

But it's not just one month of the year, the festival and xmas/hogmany stuff in the city centre impacts the city all year round, 10 months of watching next to zero day to day progress on leith street while adding 30-40 minutes a day to my commute and then it's 'oh the festival starts in a couple of weeks' see's a rocket up their arse and the road opened. I'd be far more in favour of these events if they even moved 25% of it away from the main commuter routes and onto somewhere like the meadows!

Edinburgh is quickly becoming a city for visiting and not one for living in.

been here before
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Spot on. Difficult to argue that Edinburgh people aren't miserable sods when you hear stuff like that.

So you're miserable if you dont like the festival?

Whats the thought process there?

Would not go and see anything if I was paid and was bought my drink all night.  Comedy nowadays is utterly horrendous (a few exceptions like Bill Burr).

Comedy iss 95% Donald Trump bashing and 5% rehashed jokes.  Comedy is just not funny anymore imo.  Everything is so sanitized.  People being offended by quite literally everything.

I am so glad we have the festival as it is great for our city but the pish in it? Give me a break.

Most if not all replies seem to be about Fringe events. 

Having had a look at what's on at the EIF, there are few things that appeal. 

Mahler's Eighth Symphony at the Usher Hall, and Martyn Bennett's 'Bothy Culture' at the Playhouse are just two of them. 

Shanks said no
22 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Mahler's Eighth Symphony at the Usher Hall, and Martyn Bennett's 'Bothy Culture' at the Playhouse are just two of them. 

I had the EIF brochure out last night but didn’t get round to looking at it, will try tonight

Shanks said no
55 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Would not go and see anything if I was paid and was bought my drink all night.  Comedy nowadays is utterly horrendous (a few exceptions like Bill Burr).

Comedy iss 95% Donald Trump bashing and 5% rehashed jokes.  Comedy is just not funny anymore imo.  Everything is so sanitized.  People being offended by quite literally everything.

I am so glad we have the festival as it is great for our city but the pish in it? Give me a break.

Lot more than just a comedy festival, there’s Cabaret & Variety, Children’s shows, Dance/physical theatre/circus, Events, Music and Theatre

46 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Lot more than just a comedy festival, there’s Cabaret & Variety, Children’s shows, Dance/physical theatre/circus, Events, Music and Theatre

Seems to be mainly drag acts this year.  A man putting make up on and wearing a dress is not entertaining and certainly shows no talent.

Edited by i8hibsh

Went to see Trainspotting Live last year and would highly recommend it. 'Immersive' theatre, totally in your face and never seen anything quite like it. Definitely not for the faint hearted!

Hoping to see it again this year

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Seems to be mainly drag acts this year.  A man putting make up on and wearing a dress is not entertaining and certainly shows no talent.

May I suggest you go and catch ‘Margaret Thatcher: Queen of the Game Shows’?

All roads lead to Gorgie

I haven't seen anything in the fringe that stands out and it is probably better to wait a bit to see the reviews before booking anything. A play The Marilyn Conspiracy about the theories over what happened on the night of Monroes death sounds interesting though. 

I am going to see Tony Adams talk in the book fest about his addiction to booze and how he overcame that although Pat Nevin is doing the interview I now see. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

There does seem to be an awful lot of feminist plays and comedy this year as well. Us male's might not be welcome. 

The Internet

I sure hope there's loads of Donald Trump related comedy. I feel like comedians don't mention Donald Trump enough.

29 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I sure hope there's loads of Donald Trump related comedy. I feel like comedians don't mention Donald Trump enough.

I believe a female comic went 5 seconds tonight without making fun of him. She took a drink of her water.

1 hour ago, Shrekeo said:

May I suggest you go and catch ‘Margaret Thatcher: Queen of the Game Shows’?

I've got free tickets for Margaret Thatcher: Queen of Club Nights on Saturday.

5 hours ago, robroy1874 said:

Andrew Lawrence (saw him last year )

Mark Watson

Jimeoin (also saw last year)

I saw Jimeoin when he was on a show being interviewed by Nicholas Parsons and he was very funny.

10 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Jason Byrne tomorrow.

Colin Cloud on Monday.

David O'Doherty on Wednesday.

Out for the whole day on Monday so will check out some other stuff too.

Love Jason Byrne went to see him by mistake after getting him mixed up with Ed Byrne who was funny but not as funny as Jason.

10 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

For the first 46 years of my life I was a Festival hater, decided to give it a chance back in 2012 and love it now.

so far this year we are booked to see

•Margaret Thatcher Queen of Soho

•Fifty shades of May

•3 free BBC shows

•Trumpageddon 

•Guru Dudu Silent disco walking tour

•Putting on the Blitz Frank Sanazi

•Illicit Thrill

•Michelle McManus

•The Absolute Jam

•Christine Bovill

Will be booking another load of tickets on Friday including the pieman and awarof2halves.

Need some more comedy recommendations

Tip - get a friends of fringe membership and lots of shows are half price

Quite fancy the absolute Jam

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, DVB said:

Quite fancy the absolute Jam

They are playing on the 11th and 25th at the Merchants Hall

9 hours ago, DVB said:

Love Jason Byrne went to see him by mistake after getting him mixed up with Ed Byrne who was funny but not as funny as Jason.

Yeah, try and get to see him every year. Think I missed him last year. The start of my two weeks off work tonight so I'm sure I'll enjoy it especially!

Shanks said no
10 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

I've got free tickets for Margaret Thatcher: Queen of Club Nights on Saturday.

Showfilmfirst by any chance? That’s how I got free tickets for tonight and Trumpageddon on Sunday 

the general
18 hours ago, SUTOL said:

going to The Pastels,Vasalines and LKJ at Leith Theatre

Not the festival as such but 'Fringe by the Sea' in North Berwick.

Seeing HIPSWAY on Saturday.

Train down, few pints and a scran. Concert, couple of pints, train hame.

Perfic.

To be a nice sunny day as well.

Got complementary's for the Barnardo's benefit for helping them out this year.

Not really my cup of tea the line up but it's a night out i guess.

been here before
16 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Not the festival as such but 'Fringe by the Sea' in North Berwick.

Seeing HIPSWAY on Saturday.

Train down, few pints and a scran. Concert, couple of pints, train hame.

Perfic.

To be a nice sunny day as well.

Hipsway eh? Got their album upstairs on vinyl and was listening to them just last week. Thats sort of mid 80s Scottish band who never quite made it. Quite liked them, saw them live a few times way back.

Dont know if you've tried these, I can thouroughly recommend them. You get them from Sainsburys...

a9a026cf2d312bd2a4acb7ed9b6c1ab3.thumb.jpg.6a511af3a86d251358eb129397064898.jpg

THE-HONEY-THIEF-WEBSITE.thumb.png.f9a48cec3f175b978939aee1815bdc30.png

Edited by been here before

2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Showfilmfirst by any chance? That’s how I got free tickets for tonight and Trumpageddon on Sunday 

Yep.