• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scnorthedinburgh

• August Landmesser

• Elmore

• Strachsuit

1 minute ago, Dirty Deeds said:

I've no issue with it, what's the problem?

Personally I could do without it but , in the past , it was always games against der Hun . Squaddies on the pitch at half time with their rangers scarves , running up to the away end never seemed a good advert for Hearts or the army

1 minute ago, johnthomas said:

Personally I could do without it but , in the past , it was always games against der Hun . Squaddies on the pitch at half time with their rangers scarves , running up to the away end never seemed a good advert for Hearts or the army

Indeed.

fabienleclerq
9 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/6828

Some consultation with fans might have been nice before using the club as a recruitment tool for the army.

IMHO, this is utter bollocks.

How's it bollocks? Did you read the link you posted.

What's wrong with supporting the armed forces?

3fingersreid

Biggest cheer I heard was v rangers (the Burley season) when 4 of the guys parachuted onto the pitch , landed, took off their tops and  revealed Hearts tops . 

Personally I have  no issue with it but that’s because I’m a supporter of the armed forces . 

3 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

You couldn't have been at Ibrox when a Jambo squaddie headed to our corner and got a great cheer !

Don't see the issue with this either.

No problem with it.

OmiyaHearts

I'm not into it this at all. 

Don't see why people should get free tickets for Hearts games just because of who they work for (unless they are employed by Hearts).

Edited by OmiyaHearts

August Landmesser
7 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

I've no issue with it, what's the problem?

We're a football club. Not a department of the Ministry of Defence. The army etc. already have plenty opportunities for parades and flag-waving on their own time.

I appreciate and honour the WWI link with the club, and the bravery of the players who joined up, but that's a very specific relationship deriving from very specific and tragic circumstances.

I surely am not the only one uncomfortable with using a football match to glorify the modern-day armed forces for no particular reason. 

13 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Some consultation with fans might have been nice before using the club as a recruitment tool for the army.

Eh? What a load of nonsense.

Good initiative, well done Hearts. 

Would be nicer if we showed some support to our NHS staff, or emergency services. People that actually make a difference in our day to day lives.

Why does it always have to be the armed forces?

Our link up with Erskine i liked, but this along with all the other stuff is just way OTT. Wish we would give it up apart from Celebrating our WW1 team and the associated Batallon -  and when i say celebrating i mean respectfully remembering them.

Edited by Homme

Just now, August Landmesser said:

We're a football club. Not a department of the Ministry of Defence. The army etc. already have plenty opportunities for parades and flag-waving on their own time.

I appreciate and honour the WWI link with the club, and the bravery of the players who joined up, but that's a very specific relationship deriving from very specific and tragic circumstances.

I surely am not the only one uncomfortable with using a football match to glorify the modern-day armed forces for no particular reason. 

:facepalm:

That sounds *so* Celtic. 

alwaysthereinspirit
4 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

OMFG. Seriously. In this day and age, this bothers you.

August Landmesser
Just now, Strachsuit said:

:facepalm:

That sounds *so* Celtic. 

Why?

OmiyaHearts
1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

I completely agree with the last sentence.

Won't be long before people mention that we wouldn't be at Newcastle watching Hearts if it wasn't for the army etc.

3 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

They're not going to press gang the singing section into service, mate. It's only one day.

August Landmesser
Just now, alwaysthereinspirit said:

OMFG. Seriously. In this day and age, this bothers you.

What day and age?

The day and age when we know what the armed forces are used for? The day and age when we see  people sent off to die in deserts to protect the interests and profits of foreign oil companies and Saudi bigots? That day and age?

6 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Biggest cheer I heard was v rangers (the Burley season) when 4 of the guys parachuted onto the pitch , landed, took off their tops and  revealed Hearts tops . 

Personally I have  no issue with it but that’s because I’m a supporter of the armed forces . 

Ah so if you don't agree with it you are anti-army ?

Poppy fascism is alive and well 

August Landmesser
Just now, Boab said:

They're not going to press gang the singing section into service, mate. It's only one day.

If they did, we'd get a good range of sea shanties to join in with though, every cloud I suppose...

If anyone has an issue with this then it's clearly politically motivated. In which case it's no place in football so take that shite elsewhere...Please. We get enough of that from the tossers from West. 

1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

If they did, we'd get a good range of sea shanties to join in with though, every cloud I suppose...

Ha ! True. I'd imagine the sweetie rustlers would be up in arms ( excuse the pun ) at the lyrics to some of those ditties !

Scnorthedinburgh

As it's hearts backing the covenant, I am fine with this.

That has more to do with helping service women and men when not on duty or retired.

Given the club has a lot of respect for our players and fans who served, be daft not to sign the covenant and support it.

2 minutes ago, kila said:

Budge really wants Hearts to become Military FC eh.

And soft and cuddley. 

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

If anyone has an issue with this then it's clearly politically motivated. In which case it's no place in football so take that shite elsewhere...Please. We get enough of that from the tossers from West. 

So, being anti-Armed Forces Day at Tynecastle is politically motivated and has no place in football, but being pro-Armed Forces Day at Tynecastle is not and does?

:interehjrling:

7 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Nope you are not the only one.

I agree with everything you say.

We are a football club some people should remember that.

The Treasurer
11 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Don't the club should be getting involved with this

Meant to read "I don't think the club should be getting involved with this"

August Landmesser
Just now, Boab said:

Ha ! True. I'd imagine the sweetie rustlers would be up in arms ( excuse the pun ) at the lyrics to some of those ditties !

The Digger's would have to install thirteen taps of Lamb's Navy Rum! I'd be into that...

3fingersreid

Ah so if you don't agree with it you are anti-army ?

Poppy fascism is alive and well 

I have no problem with the OP’s  point ,in fact I think the club should and could possibly have consulted with the fans on it somehow . As to your poppy comment I find it uncomfortable how far some people go to show their respects around Memorial Day . 

What i I do have an issue with is people like yourself putting words in my mouth , especially when they’re so ****ing wrong !!

Chuck Berry
22 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Agreed, this is mini-hun stuff, total embarrassment to have troops parade around at Tynecastle every year.  I had hoped our club wouldn't stoop to these depths.

Just now, August Landmesser said:

The Digger's would have to install thirteen taps of Lamb's Navy Rum! I'd be into that...

You're coming round already, bud !

A good old knees-up !

All those ranting about association with the Army, read the article again, its the Armed Forces, of which I had the privilege to serve in the Senior Service for 23 years and there are a good few on here likewise.

Edited by BelgeJambo

Absolutely amazing that people have an issue with this. Literally offended by anything, snowflakes going to snowflake I guess but still incredible! 

Tremendous initiative by Hearts, rightly welcoming and honoring the men and woman who protect and serve our country. Each and everyone of them deserves our respect and gratitude. 

7 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Why?

You're making it sound as though the club are warmongers who are glorifying the invasion of Iraq! Exactly the sort of rubbish that the permanently-offended from the east end of Glasgow come out with. 

It's one day. It's supporting a range of people across the armed forces who do a fantastic (and brave) job. What's the big deal?

alwaysthereinspirit
2 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

What day and age?

The day and age when we know what the armed forces are used for? The day and age when we see  people sent off to die in deserts to protect the interests and profits of foreign oil companies and Saudi bigots? That day and age?

Yes that day and age. The day when it sounds like a local business (Hearts) are giving a little back to some local people for their services.

No recruitment drive, no pressure to sign up. Just a nice big thank you for your service and enjoy the game. No ulterior motive. 

8 minutes ago, Boab said:

:lol: Exactly. 

jacklivi1874
1 minute ago, Chuck Berry said:

Agreed, this is mini-hun stuff, total embarrassment to have troops parade around at Tynecastle every year.  I had hoped our club wouldn't stoop to these depths.

Dont go you wont be missed as for embarrassment look at your post its beamer 

August Landmesser
Just now, BelgeJambo said:

All those ranting about association with the Army, read the article again, its the Armed Forces, of which I had the privilege to serve in the Senior Service for 23 years and there are a good few on her likewise.

It's still glorifying death and slaughter though. Whether that's at sea, in the air or on land...

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, Strachsuit said:

You're making it sound as though the club are warmongers who are glorifying the invasion of Iraq! Exactly the sort of rubbish that the permanently-offended from the east end of Glasgow come out with. 

It's one day. It's supporting a range of people across the armed forces who do a fantastic (and brave) job. What's the big deal?

It's got shag all to do with a nice day out at the football is the big deal.

Same as minute's silences for popes and PMS...

Edited by August Landmesser

Nookie Bear
14 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

No you're not the only one and i agree with everything you say.

The Treasurer
1 minute ago, magicTs said:

Absolutely amazing that people have an issue with this. Literally offended by anything, snowflakes going to snowflake I guess but still incredible! 

Tremendous initiative by Hearts, rightly welcoming and honoring the men and woman who protect and serve our country. Each and everyone of them deserves our respect and gratitude. 

You can have an issue with something without being offended by it.

Gene Parmesan

Sorry, but explicitly linking the football club with the armed forces is undeniably political and it shouldn't happen.

8 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

What day and age?

Ah. Now your original post makes complete sense. 

:cornette:

highlandjambo3

Can I just say.............there will clearly be two opinions to this topic.  I have no issue with this but, I also know and understand why some people may take issue 

7 minutes ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

As it's hearts backing the covenant, I am fine with this.

That has more to do with helping service women and men when not on duty or retired.

Given the club has a lot of respect for our players and fans who served, be daft not to sign the covenant and support it.

Yup.

PeterintheRain
1 minute ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Yes that day and age. The day when it sounds like a local business (Hearts) are giving a little back to some local people for their services.

No recruitment drive, no pressure to sign up. Just a nice big thank you for your service and enjoy the game. No ulterior motive. 

Total bollocks.   Armed Forces Day was invented by the Blair/Brown regime after the War Crime of invading Iraq.  It, along with the fake, "Help for Heroes," was intended to create sympathy for our brave boys, take the pressure of their evil act and brainwash the gullible.  

Now anybody who doesn't support their propaganda day is a traitor.  See how well it worked?

HMFC should have nothing to do with it.   We have our day to remember. 

This Glorification of War Criminals. The scum who torture prisoners.  The people who happily slaughter children to order.  It has no place in any democracy let alone at a sporting event.