Craig Levein - pointless

five wan

Just been watching the TV show pointless.

One of the Questions was name a previous national Scotland football manager?  I thought of 2 who may have had zero points Andy Roxburgh and Bertie Vogts but I was wrong, anybody got any ideas? ( by the way our Craig was a pointless answer)

(by the way I am not a Levein lover or hater)

Edited by five wan
Clarification

Bazzas right boot

If the question was about pointless threads on jkb I'd have an answer. 

Andy Roxburgh took Scotland to both the 1990 World Cup and 1992 (only 8 teams) European Championships! It’s amazing how people forget his success given the drought over the last 20 years. 

Maroon Sailor

McLeish is literally pointless

The usual let's go for a failed out of work club manager that no club would touch with a bargepole

Did he score on the show ?

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Benny Factor
2 minutes ago, magicTs said:

Andy Roxburgh took Scotland to both the 1990 World Cup and 1992 (only 8 teams) European Championships! It’s amazing how people forget his success given the drought over the last 20 years. 

Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown are 2 of the main reasons why our national team is in such a state now.

7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The usual let's go for a failed out of work club manager that no club would touch with a bargepole

Yeah he must have as he wasn't mentioned, totally agree though

7 minutes ago, Cyril Sneer said:

Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown are 2 of the main reasons why our national team is in such a state now.

Lol. Complete nonsense. 

8 minutes ago, Cyril Sneer said:

Absolute nonsense. The main reasons!??? Dearie me.

1 minute ago, magicTs said:

Lol. Complete nonsense. 

Totally, people underestimate what he actually achieved in getting us to Sweden

13 minutes ago, Cyril Sneer said:

They got us to 4 out of 5 major finals during the 90's, our most successful decade in that respect.  We only qualified for 2 in the 80's and same in the 70's, none in the 60's and none since 1998.

2 minutes ago, five wan said:

Correct

I thought he’d popped his clogs but saw an interview with him about a year ago - think he’s well into his nineties if he’s still on the go.

4 minutes ago, S Form said:

I thought he’d popped his clogs but saw an interview with him about a year ago - think he’s well into his nineties if he’s still on the go.

Yeah he must be in is mid nineties now I reckon,. I remember my dad telling me that he managed the first team that beat the then World Cup winners in 1967

38 minutes ago, Cyril Sneer said:

:lol: Ludicrous. 

43 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He wasn’t mentioned at the end so must have scored points 

24 minutes ago, RobNox said:

They got us to 4 out of 5 major finals during the 90's, our most successful decade in that respect.  We only qualified for 2 in the 80's and same in the 70's, none in the 60's and none since 1998.

And with lesser players than previous eras (although still very good players). Take away the Costa Rica and Morocco games, the rest of the performances at the major tournaments were very good and we were unlucky not to get out the group stage. 

43 minutes ago, Cyril Sneer said:

If you took the time to look at what Andy achieved in coaching our youth teams, his record with the National team and how well he is respected within the UEFA coaching and technical circles you may change your mind. 

All i've been thinking about is what if the league cup wasn't the start of our season and we'd of played Hamilton & Celtic in our first 2 games. At Cove Rangers & Raith Rovers we have shown we have a long way to go in tactics (3 at the back) , No width up the right, goal scoring, midfield control ect. I'm really worried that Levein hasn't got playing away from home right just like last season.

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

All i've been thinking about is what if the league cup wasn't the start of our season and we'd of played Hamilton & Celtic in our first 2 games. At Cove Rangers & Raith Rovers we have shown we have a long way to go in tactics (3 at the back) , No width up the right, goal scoring, midfield control ect. I'm really worried that Levein hasn't got playing away from home right just like last season.

Aye? 

2 hours ago, Cyril Sneer said:

That was 20 years ago and both got us to major championships.

In fact if it hadn't been for a penalty miss which led to an amazing goal we would have qualified for the KO stage of Euro 96.

I know people didn't like Brown but if you are going to blame him for our current state you need to explain your reasoning.

Benny Factor
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

That was 20 years ago and both got us to major championships.

In fact if it hadn't been for a penalty miss which led to an amazing goal we would have qualified for the KO stage of Euro 96.

I know people didn't like Brown but if you are going to blame him for our current state you need to explain your reasoning.

He's not totally to blame, but in my opinion the decline started with him (and to a lesser extent, Roxburgh before him).

They both had better players than we do now, in relative terms anyway, but there was too much reliance on old heads and no plans for the future.

It annoys me when the media roll out Craig Brown when a Euros or a World Cup comes around proclaiming that he was the last manager to lead us to the finals, because as far as I'm concerned, we've never really recovered from the state he left the national team in.

Bazzas right boot

party planner has the exact same thread.

On that note, the thread should be ended and the OP launched.

5-1 you silly xxxx, yes, 5-1, **** you.

Admins- do what is correct.

jamtartan74

I watched the programme and chuffed to say that I guessed right the Levein would be pointless :sweeet:also guessed sammy mcilroy for Northern Ireland 

:greggy:

off the top of my head which being a bit drunk isn’t very good, I think Levein tommy docherty bobby brown and onevor two others were the pointless answers, only went from 1960 odds to 2016 though I think. 

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

party planner has the exact same thread.

On that note, the thread should be ended and the OP launched.

5-1 you silly xxxx, yes, 5-1, **** you.

Admins- do what is correct.

ffs, I checked. Thread is stinking.

£40 to charity means **** all in terms of football loyalty

I named 3 Welsh managers who were all pointless. I also got Bobby Brown. Amazingly, Ormond wasn't a pointless answer but Tommy Doc was. 

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Jesus wept.

Do you even understand the OP?

It should have been ten
6 hours ago, Cyril Sneer said:

Wtf? Would like to say “Nice one Cyril” but I’d be lying ?

It should have been ten
1 hour ago, New York Fleapit said:

Jesus wept.

Do you even understand the OP?

:jj_facepalm:

:laugh:

Unknown user
6 hours ago, Cyril Sneer said:

He's not totally to blame, but in my opinion the decline started with him (and to a lesser extent, Roxburgh before him).

They both had better players than we do now, in relative terms anyway, but there was too much reliance on old heads and no plans for the future.

It annoys me when the media roll out Craig Brown when a Euros or a World Cup comes around proclaiming that he was the last manager to lead us to the finals, because as far as I'm concerned, we've never really recovered from the state he left the national team in.

What plans for the future would you have expected? They're not responsible for the drop in quality coming through and did the best with what they had available. 

6 hours ago, luckydug said:

How does this pointless stuff work anyway ?

I have never watched it.

It's like family fortunes, except you have to get the least popular correct answers

Edited by Smithee

My son were down filmimg an episode of Pointless earlier this year it’s  due to be aired 11th Sept hopefully they will keep our Hearts reference in 

Maroon Sailor
55 minutes ago, Rogeeeeer said:

My son were down filmimg an episode of Pointless earlier this year it’s  due to be aired 11th Sept hopefully they will keep our Hearts reference in 

They might do - Richard Osman is a big football fan so if it was a bit of banter with him they will probably keep it in.

John Findlay
8 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I named 3 Welsh managers who were all pointless. I also got Bobby Brown. Amazingly, Ormond wasn't a pointless answer but Tommy Doc was. 

Was Scott Symon mentioned?

11 hours ago, luckydug said:

How does this pointless stuff work anyway ?

I have never watched it.

100 people asked questions beforehand,contestants have to find answers no one said.

55 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Was Scott Symon mentioned?

I don't recall his name popping up as a pointless answer. 

The pointless Scotland managers were

Billy Stark

Bobby Brown

Craig Levein

Tommy Docherty

Ian McCall

Andy Beattie

John Prentice

Malky McDonald