3-5-2

Phil Dunphy

2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

We don't need 3 centre backs. 2 full backs that can fire forward with a defensive midfielder that can cover them when needed is what all good teams play.

Levein has this thing in his head about 3 centre backs and he needs to realise it's just not needed against teams that have inferior players to Hearts.

Will Levein change ? I think we all know how stubborn and defensive minded he can be so i wouldn't hold your breath.

Do we? If the opposition are going to sit deep then what use is speed, better to have a technical skilful player who can beat his man and get a ball in the middle.  Of course you also need your striker/s to be in the middle not in midfield...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• mitch41

• rudi must stay

• Alex Kintner

4 hours ago, King prawn said:

I agree Mulraney is never a wing back. We’re asking a guy who didn’t play much for Inverness to play a pivotal role too soon imo. 

It’s not only about pace though - someone on here correctly called Barker a speedboat without a rudder.

Wee Lennon could be utter mince at times with Leeds. I saw him quite a few time from the under 17 onwards. Then after a surprise move to Spurs managed by Martin Jol he was transformed into a superb winger and was capped quite a few times for England. Who knows what the lad is capable of.

2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Do we? If the opposition are going to sit deep then what use is speed, better to have a technical skilful player who can beat his man and get a ball in the middle.  Of course you also need your striker/s to be in the middle not in midfield...

And in the league teams are going to sit deep against Hearts ?

7 hours ago, mitch41 said:

And in the league teams are going to sit deep against Hearts ?

Haha!  Actually I was kinda hoping they would be this season...Signs are not good so far though!

Pox Doctor's Clerk
Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

I really hope this isn't going to be our setup tomorrow night.

Agreed. Awful on Saturday. We just don't have the personnel to play a 3. Berra looks ordinary in a 3 and he's certainly not ordinary. I bet CB has offered his views to CL on merits of a 3 

That was an awful watch at the start playing out to a wing back with two men on him then trying crossfield balls that went out on the full.

Glad we changed it but hope we give up 3-5-2 sooner rather than later.

Wingback is a unique position and I don’t see any evidence that we have anyone who could really make it work. (Demi Mitchell is one, but we’d need another for the right side as well).

Whatever we do.. we need two quality wide players who can make things happen. We lack quality high in wide areas. Let’s hope Djoum is back soon as well to sort the centre midfield out.

I fear if if we don’t address this, mid table is the highest we are going to finish.

Edited by E3OBE

7 minutes ago, E3OBE said:

Wingback is a unique position and I don’t see any evidence that we have anyone who could really make it work. (Demi Mitchell is one, but we’d need another for the right side as well).

Whatever we do.. we need two quality wide players who can make things happen. We lack quality high in wide areas. Let’s hope Djoum is back soon as well to sort the centre midfield out.

I fear if if we don’t address this, mid table is the highest we are going to finish.

Agree.

Players like Mitchell don't grow on trees, especially in our case, but I felt if we got him back we'd need a similar player on the right side for the wing back style to work.

We seem to be ****ing about trying to see who fits.

15 minutes ago, E3OBE said:

Imagine having Mitchell and Paterson available for the wing back roles.

That would be a dream

loveofthegame

I absolutely hate 3-5-2. It should be a go to tactic in very limited circumstances, especially for a club like us. 

When we went to 4-4-2 we looked a totally different team. Caused so many more problems.

I will be gutted if we revert to 3-5-2 on Sunday (and pretty concerned as to what Levein sees).

By the light
2 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

I absolutely hate 3-5-2. It should be a go to tactic in very limited circumstances, especially for a club like us. 

When we went to 4-4-2 we looked a totally different team. Caused so many more problems.

I will be gutted if we revert to 3-5-2 on Sunday (and pretty concerned as to what Levein sees).

Seconded 

Didn't think we played 352 at all today. Looked a very lopsided 442 with Morrison providing width on right, Haring tucked in pretty much centrally.

Edited by bistokid

loveofthegame
2 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Didn't think we played 352 at all today. Looked a very lopsided 442 with Morrison providing width on right, Haring tucked in pretty much centrally.

There is no way it was 4-4-2 until Irving came off for Macdonald/start of 2nd half... Smith Souttar and Berra formed a back 3 with Garruchio and Morrison on the flanks.Haring centre mid with Irving and Naismith.

Alex Kintner
8 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Not sure which game you watched but first half hour was a clear three at the back (Smith, Souttar, Berra) with wingbacks (Morrison, Garrucio) and it was awful.

As soneone else has suggested, 3 at the back should be an occasional formation used for soecific matches. To have it as your first choice system doesn’t work when you don’t have the players to play it. We could have played all night in that formation and not scored.

That was my initial thought but Smith was so far over that looked like a 4 from pretty early on. Could well be wrong, I was watching through my fingers.

Alex Kintner
16 minutes ago, bistokid said:

That was my initial thought but Smith was so far over that looked like a 4 from pretty early on. Could well be wrong, I was watching through my fingers.

Think it was more to do with Smith being more comfortable pushing forward from RCB than Berra was from LCB.

Liamthejambo

I nearly got chucked out tonight , I appoligies to to all the people  that sat beside me, but  tonight was a shambles , all I would say is  Craig please **** off 

This tweet pretty much sums up where we are at the moment and with two weeks before the season starts it’s a damning indictment of how shambolic we seem to be. We started 352 today with a centre back playing in midfield, even tho he was signed as a centre back. The other midfielder was a striker, who was signed to play up top. The only midfielder in the starting 11 was subbed off after 35 minutes. To get a better performance and to create more chances we had to change formation twice within the game to break down a 10 man side from three divisions below us. Am sorry but that is shocking. What are we doing. What have we been doing in pre season? We’ve focused on old school fitness drills and bleep tests and spent nowhere near enough time working on shape and style of play, that has been clear in every match this pre season and cup run. We don’t seem to have any clear plan of attack. Slow and laboured passing side to side with no width and or movement up top. 12 players in and none of them seem to have added any quality to our starting 11. Quantity over quality again. 

A313CC55-28D9-4CCD-88E9-9CE56FD774D9.png

Not a fan of the 3-5-2 with players we have too slow..

when the wide wide players were right up on the full backs, basically 4 up top.. we looked good, started causing havoc (ok only Cowdenbeath)

chances then goals..

think Levein should go back to 4-3-3

Three at the back is a terrible formation that’s not worked for Hearts since Levein, McLaren, McPherson. That was back in the day most teams played two forwards and all our centre backs could play a bit. Teams with decent players out wide are going to have a field day against us. Look at how a shite Rangers side have totally overran us by doubling up out wide. Hibs at Easter Road is another example of our inability to deal with this. God help us if Celtic ever get a good manager who decides to take us on in wide areas.

I’ll maybe change my tune if we get Mitchell back and sign Dani Alves, but until then I’m shitting bricks when our opponents attack at pace.