Hearts appearing in unexpected places

Daveandal

Not one to start topics but had a rather unexpected but pleasurable experience the other day.

Currently in Argentina and was traveling on an overnight bus. They have an internal entertainment system rather like a plane. One of the videos was the 50 greatest saves of all time.

It was mainly South American stuff with a few international and English / Spanish top flight games. Suddenly there was Craig Gordon's save(s) against Sparta Prague. Totally bizarre.

Anyway where else have people seen Hearts suddenly appear in an unexpected situation?

Posted recently that a friend saw an an elaborate Hearts car number plate in Hastings NZ.

iwasthere1954
21 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Posted recently that a friend saw an an elaborate Hearts car number plate in Hastings NZ.

My mate in Napier has one that says JAMBOS across the middle with Hearts FC at the top and Pride of Edinburgh across the bottom if you get my drift. It looks fantastic.

52 minutes ago, iwasthere1954 said:

My mate in Napier has one that says JAMBOS across the middle with Hearts FC at the top and Pride of Edinburgh across the bottom if you get my drift. It looks fantastic.

That's the very one.  My friend who spotted it described it in that precise detail.

Wouldn't mind having a beer with your mate next time I'm up there or hes down here.

Or 60 beers if we've just won the Cup again.?

Fxxx the SPFL

Apologies not in a remote destination but in sunny Falkirk I saw the number plate RUDI51 brilliant 

Edited by Ray has bus pass hooray

14 hours ago, iwasthere1954 said:

Napier....My favourite little town in NZ.

Bazzas right boot

Lc second round? 

On holiday, this year in Turkey and although not a fan of the football top  thing there was a guy that wore a different Hearts top everyday. Said he had 10 strips and 8 t - shirts with him. 

Not my thing, but the boy done well. 

There was a Musselburgh athletic scarf in one of the pubs as well. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

Loosely connected, but relevant. I went to Kenya and Uganda on honeymoon seven years ago. About 90% of Nairobi men of a certain age wear football tops as day to day leisure wear. Everywhere you look Manchester United and Arsenal tops. I gave the guy we were staying with a Hearts training top. One morning when walking to town we passed a guy doing heroin in an alley. He was wearing a Hibs top.

29 minutes ago, Bez said:

Loosely connected, but relevant. I went to Kenya and Uganda on honeymoon seven years ago. About 90% of Nairobi men of a certain age wear football tops as day to day leisure wear. Everywhere you look Manchester United and Arsenal tops. I gave the guy we were staying with a Hearts training top. One morning when walking to town we passed a guy doing heroin in an alley. He was wearing a Hibs top.

What else????

scott herbertson

An English mate bought a little fridge magnet that said **** the Hibs which he was amused to see on a stand in Cyprus along with the other tourist stuff, back in the early 2000s

had unfortunate repercussions  asI was called I was called aside by the head teacher of my 6 year old daughter’s school when I collected her one day to be told she had been swearing in class. I was baffled until she said the bad word was on the fridge.....

Edited by scott herbertson

Worthing Jambo

On a catamaran trip in Antigua and the guys that crewed it were talking football to my mate.

My mate says that they probably haven’t heard of my team.

I said Hearts and they both went “ah, Heart of Midlothian. We have the Hearts top.”

Apparently, they had crewed a catamaran that 2 Jambos brought from Antigua to the UK.

Also saw a cruiser on the Norfolk Broads called Jambo. It was maroon lettering ?

Been on a mountain in Turkey, there was a rickety old stall selling souvenirs ... Including Hearts and Hibs dinner plates !!

TyphoonJambo

There’s a narrow boat on the UK canals called Jambo .....

Oops sorry Worthing, just seen your post?

Edited by TypoonJambo

Say What Again

An English mate of mine was on holiday in Croatia many years ago and wandered into a little village bar, off the beaten track.

He sent me a text saying "I think you'd like it here" and then a photo of what would best be described as a small Hearts shrine in the corner of the bar. Flag, scarf, programmes, and framed photos.

On the tube to a Liam Gallagher gig in December, started talking to two cockney boys, they asked if we were Hearts or Hibs at saying Hearts one off them started singing the Hearts song!! Turned out one off them was mates with Graham Stack. 

Not quite as as far afield as others but nobody talks on the Tube, so was somewhat unique to hear a Londoner singing the song! 

grumpy rebus
3 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Lc second round? 

On holiday, this year in Turkey and although not a fan of the football top  thing there was a guy that wore a different Hearts top everyday. Said he had 10 strips and 8 t - shirts with him. 

Not my thing, but the boy done well. 

There was a Musselburgh athletic scarf in one of the pubs as well. 

Like you, I don’t really do the football top thing but I did wear my Hearts top to an Orlando match a couple of years ago. Just outside I met another couple in Hearts tops and just inside met another guy wearing his. 

Back in 2010/11 I was working in Uganda.

Was in Kampala for a meeting and in my hotel room there was a number of complimentary magazines. If it had been a football magazine I'd have thought nothing of it, but on the cover of a golfing mag was none other than our own David Obua with a big feature article on him inside.

Nookie Bear
12 minutes ago, parisjambo said:

Was in Kampala for a meeting and in my hotel room there was a number of complimentary magazines. If it had been a football magazine I'd have thought nothing of it, but on the cover of a golfing mag was none other than our own David Obua with a big feature article on him inside.

Bizarre, although i did find a pic of David's auntie (Grace Obua) in a golfing magazine.

Gangsta!

image.png.1ad3e1301e1a99b057cab4378fa4d387.png

Back in the late 80’s/90’s my pal went on holiday to Mombasa in Kenya. He was a big Celtic fan, and was in this club when a song called  “Jambo Bwana” came on. 

He was tickled pink, so went up and told the DJ he had a pal who followed a team from Scotland whose fans were called Jambos, so the DJ gave him the 7” inch vinyl which I was given as a present. I still occasionally play it when I play my old vinyls. 

I know Jambo Bwana means Hello Sir in their language, but my pal said I can’t get away from you Jambos even in Africa. 

John Findlay
7 minutes ago, daftie said:

Back in the late 80’s/90’s my pal went on holiday to Mombasa in Kenya. He was a big Celtic fan, and was in this club when a song called  “Jambo Bwana” came on. 

He was tickled pink, so went up and told the DJ he had a pal who followed a team from Scotland whose fans were called Jambos, so the DJ gave him the 7” inch vinyl which I was given as a present. I still occasionally play it when I play my old vinyls. 

I know Jambo Bwana means Hello Sir in their language, but my pal said I can’t get away from you Jambos even in Africa. 

I was in Mombasa for Christmas 88 and New Year 89. It was great being greeted everyday with the word Jambo.

1 hour ago, parisjambo said:

Same honeymoon as I posted above. First night in Kampala, went up to hotel bar and ordered drinks. Barman asked me where I was from. I said Edinburgh. Usual next question answered; ‘Hearts’. ‘David Obua?’ he then asks.

I told him he isn’t particularly popular amongst the fans, but he looks like he is quite skilful. At the mention of skilful, he burst in to hysterics, and asked again:

”David Obua? Skilful?”

Jeez... ?

15 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I was in Mombasa for Christmas 88 and New Year 89. It was great being greeted everyday with the word Jambo.

I spent some time just East of there 

2 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

I spent some time just East of there 

:lol:

Was about to make the same joke.

As some on here might have seen in May, I was lucky enough to go on the pitch of the veltins arena at half time, and speak to the schalke fans, in my Hearts top of course.

Got back to the standing section shortly into the second half and pretty quickly someone comes over. Turns out he's a Jambo who's just happened to take in a German game with his mates who all seen me on the big screen. He nipped away while I was on the screen and got told by his mates when he came back.

Probably stranger for him than it was for me.

I spent a year in Townsville (North Queensland) in 1998-9. One evening I was walking back through the hospital and bumped into a guy in a Hearts top. He was an Aussie - family had sent the shirt out as a present!

Night club called cheeky monkeys in Byron bay, Oz, used to have a rbk mdv top hanging up in it. Got a free pitcher of beer as I turned up 1 night in a kilt wearing the same top. Great night, great place, it's amazing what a kilt will do for you over there ?

Just as an aside, always take a couple of old tops when I go travelling to strange places, always manager find a good home for them, always find it surprising how many people have actually heard of hearts.

Edited by Gav M

Phil Dunphy

Not the most random but I was in a charity shop in South London with my parents around 2000ish and found a copy of the 1994/95 4-2 cup game against Rangers in the videos section. 

kirkierobroy

c1993 was in the big castle thing in the middle of Salzburg. Went to the toilets and on the cubicle there was something like 'Hearts FC OK' in biro on the wall.

There’s a wee enclave of Jambos in Worthing and the surrounding area. Had some good times down there with adopted supporters. You’ve not lived however until you’ve got fifty Arsenal supporters singing along word perfect to the Hearts Song in The Triangle after being at The Emirates. ❤️?

3 hours ago, Hearts007 said:

Eyemouth harbour

DSCF0714.JPG.1483660dad2b39f97efedf4e49745614.JPG

There's a few jambos in eyemouth and surrounding areas. I've got quite a few relatives in places like eyemouth and coldingham. The late great kickbacker 'Jabba' (RIP) was from down that way too. 

My good mate moved to live in Germany a good few years ago and lives in Ingolstadt.  I was over visiting him in 2004 with a few other mates,  and at that time the 2 existing football clubs,  ESV & MTV,  had just merged to form a new team,  Ingolstadt 04,  who were recently  in the Bundesliga. Their very first game, as a new team, was a friendly match at home against Borussia Monchengladbach. We were there at the time so went along to the match. It was played at the Tuja Stadion which was the home of ESV.  It was a smallish ground with a capacity of under 10,000,  (they have since moved to a new stadium), similar to many in the Scottish first/second division with a small stand in the middle of one side, and the three remaining sides were all terracing which you could walk all around.  To get to the beer kiosk I had to walk past all the Monchengladbach supporters and as I was wearing a Hearts top I was a little concerned.  However, as I approached them, one of them spotted me and he,  along with another half dozen or so,  burst into a chorus of  "Hearts Hearts Glorious Hearts".  They shouted me over a gave me a couple of beers and we had a bit of a sing-song !  Had a great time. Not so good for my mates though as I was on the way to get a round in and was away for half an hour! :pleased:

Auld Reekin'
5 hours ago, hmfc_steve said:

Been on a mountain in Turkey, there was a rickety old stall selling souvenirs ... Including Hearts and Hibs dinner plates !!

More of a market for them in Greece, I'd have thought...

tumblr_inline_mi2blfr0oY1qz4rgp.png

1 hour ago, Doc Rob said:

I spent a year in Townsville (North Queensland) in 1998-9. One evening I was walking back through the hospital and bumped into a guy in a Hearts top. He was an Aussie - family had sent the shirt out as a present!

Spookily, my sister lived in Townsville around that time.  I sent her other half and their very young son hearts tops for Xmas.... I wonder??!!

Placid Casual

At the Etihad Stadium for a gig, I was queuing for a round of overpriced warm lager when I turned around to see this...

fwwb4BI.jpg

Was having a beer outside a pub in Santa Ponza couple of years ago. Can't remember what it was called I was wearing a Hearts top, when a chap walking up the road wearing the same top as me walked in to the bar. I went in for another and he was behind the bar. Turned out he was from Australia his mother was a Brazilian and Father was a Croatian. He was a part owner in the bar and had spent time in Gilmerton so he decided to follow the famous. He said he gets back to Scotland once a year for a game. Oh and above the bar were another 3 Hearts tops.

15 hours ago, iwasthere1954 said:

Used to have a very similar number plate (JAMBO)  in Texas. Would occasionally see folk taking pictures in parking lots etc, never sure why. One day, got a thumbs up by a Porsche driver with IBROX - gave him the middle finger in return, which pleasingly displeased him. He also got the same treatment from a colleague of mine from Belfast whose ULSTER plate seemed to excite him even more. 

Once ended up sitting in traffic in front of JAMBOO. Not sure if any connection.

One that did feel really random was a Hearts scarf behind the bar in a pub (the Turtle’s Head) in Quito, Ecuador. Went there a few times during a couple of work trips, but the bar staff could never explain it - British connection, obviously. The gents toilet door simply had a picture of Sid the Sexist on it. The ladies loo? The Fat Slags. 

Crappy road between Gornji Vakuf and Vitez, 94ish,  passing through some hole, kid stood side of road with 1990 home top on.

5 hours ago, Moves Like Jaga said:

There's a few jambos in eyemouth and surrounding areas. I've got quite a few relatives in places like eyemouth and coldingham. The late great kickbacker 'Jabba' (RIP) was from down that way too. 

Am sure that boat was originally in Granton harbour .think someone on here knew the owner

My wife was in Prague with a couplenpf her pals about 8 years ago. When she came back she had a present for me, along with the obligatory bottle of malt. It was a Russian doll set painted with a hearts top on each, she seen it on a market stall. Her pal who has a hibby father was pissed off as there was no hibs version.

3 hours ago, Peebo said:

One that did feel really random was a Hearts scarf behind the bar in a pub (the Turtle’s Head) in Quito, Ecuador. Went there a few times during a couple of work trips, but the bar staff could never explain it - British connection, obviously.

My hearts daft pal Sandy Watson used to teach English in Quito, I'm certain it would have been him. 

Portable Badger
13 hours ago, Bez said:

:clyay: