Michael Smith

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

I think Michael Smith, seems to get a lot of criticism I for one don’t think he’s a bad player. I just personally feel he is better suited in a more central position perhaps in a strong back 3. Looks like we will be playing a back 3 so the wing back’s need to be quick M.Smith isn’t the quickest option we have there hopefully Godhino & Brandon return soon. But like I say I believe the best M.Smith we would see is in a back 3 he’s versatile player and a good back up option. Done well last season people need to lay off him.

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME
Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

I dont see smith as a starter to be honest. Good cover for several positions.

I agree but i’m just saying overall criticism is exaggerated.

I've not heard much criticism aimed his way tbh? 

He's a steady player and offers reliable cover in pretty much any position. Very glad to have him. 

Jambof3tornado
1 minute ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

I agree but i’m just saying overall criticism is exaggerated.

It always is on here. 

Normally you just take the polar opposite views expressed on here and the truth is pretty much in the middle.

1 minute ago, OTT said:

I've not heard much criticism aimed his way tbh? 

He's a steady player and offers reliable cover in pretty much any position. Very glad to have him. 

Agree

If M Smith becomes the new boo boy, our squad is just fine!!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Depends what you mean by criticism. Just people commenting on his ability? I don't really rate him at all but his effort and versatility are decent assets. Doesn't mean I've anything against the guy though. Neil Berry and Robbie Neilson were very limited players but I liked having them around for ten years each. 

Famous 1874

Good squad player, versatile and full of energy. However, I personally don’t feel he is good enough to start for us (or he shouldn’t be). Was much more suited to the centre of the park than out wide at full back or wing back. His ability to pull out of 50/50’s frustrates me massively though, should never be acceptable. 

Said it on match thread, put in a better wing back performance tonight than either of Gurrucio or Mulraney on the other side.

Its perhaps not his ideal role but he has the necessary engine and you suspect that’s why CL plays him there

Edited by cocobeab

It should have been ten
1 hour ago, jacklivi1874 said:

Hearts lost  a friendly the night at least one player was gonny get it on here

Brace yourself for the Levein oot brigade :lol:

rudi must stay
4 hours ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

I think Michael Smith, seems to get a lot of criticism I for one don’t think he’s a bad player. I just personally feel he is better suited in a more central position perhaps in a strong back 3. Looks like we will be playing a back 3 so the wing back’s need to be quick M.Smith isn’t the quickest option we have there hopefully Godhino & Brandon return soon. But like I say I believe the best M.Smith we would see is in a back 3 he’s versatile player and a good back up option. Done well last season people need to lay off him.

I think he is a potential cult hero with his attitude. Really gives his all in a maroon shirt, I'd have in the team every week

fabienleclerq

Good solid pro, he’s actually played pretty well last two games. He isn’t a wing back though, we need someone better going forward if we are to play the formation we appear to be.

Its a bit like hibs under Stubbs, it’ll work when we are on the back foot but against teams that sit in it won’t.

Have to agree and think he is very good to have in the squad but will mainly play on right side of defence or as right back if we go with a back 4. 

I will be delighted if some how this Sean Clare rumour comes off but does anyone know when Godinho and Brandon are due to return?

Dalstonjambo

Have genuinely never heard anything i would even class as criticism leveled at him. Think most just view him as a meh/ok player who does a good job in certain roles. Was surprised to see this thread tbh. Would agree with the point earlier that if he is going to be the boo boy we've improved more than i thought!

I think Smith is a squad filler in the eyes of CL. Just entered the final 12 months of his contract so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him move on before the TW closes.

Edited by DH1986

8 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I think Smith is a squad filler in the eyes of CL. Just entered the final 12 months of his contract so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him move on before the TW closes.

This. I think he covers a few positions for us.  Some if the criticism I have read about him recently is way over the top. He's a steady professional who I think will play in certain games from the start when needed, but will be mostly on the bench. 

letsalldothebeattie

I like Smith a good hard grafter on the pitch never really seen or heard much in the way of criticism for him since his arrival, seems to be popular among a few around me at Tynie

He's not Cafu, but he was a big part of building a brilliant defensive record and played a number of different positions for the team. 

exactly the sort of player we want challenging the young lads for a starting spot - model pro, consistent, hard working, but not so good that they've no chance of shifting him. 

very happy to have him on board. 

Pasquale for King

Godhino will be out until September at least, Brandon probably a bit longer. Smith is a steady player and versatile, a decent squad player but not a starter. When he plays full back he has a terrible tendency to drop back and play strikers onside, cost us a few goals last season. His crossing and distribution aren’t great either.

50 minutes ago, CMc said:

He's not Cafu, but he was a big part of building a brilliant defensive record and played a number of different positions for the team. 

exactly the sort of player we want challenging the young lads for a starting spot - model pro, consistent, hard working, but not so good that they've no chance of shifting him. 

very happy to have him on board. 

Agree with this

Not my cup of tea personally.

Ordinary player imo. During last season when we were needing to build results I often felt he hid when we had possession and doesn’t like offering himself in those scenarios. 

Obviously had some decent matches but everyone does.

Generally don’t think he’s the standard to help the overall quality of the team move forward. Squad player.  

letsalldothebeattie
1 hour ago, Mort said:

How is Jamie Brandon/Godinho's recovery doing? Both are better options at RB imo.

Godinho round about Autumn time from what ive heard and Jamie Brandon New Year at earliest

Dr Ian Malcolm

Twice the right back Brandon is. Offers a more solid alternative to Godinho. Happy to have him and no issue with him starting games,

he's been solid wherever he's been played.

Best games probably in centre midfield but we signed that many of them, I don't think he has a look-in there.

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME
6 hours ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Have genuinely never heard anything i would even class as criticism leveled at him. Think most just view him as a meh/ok player who does a good job in certain roles. Was surprised to see this thread tbh. Would agree with the point earlier that if he is going to be the boo boy we've improved more than i thought!

I’m just observing what i’ve seen with my own eyes on other match day threads directed towards Michael Smith in a very negative manner so that’s why I decided to address it.

Dalstonjambo
1 minute ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

I’m just observing what i’ve seen with my own eyes on other match day threads directed towards Michael Smith in a very negative manner so that’s why I decided to address it.

I wasn't disputing what you were saying mate, just saying I hadn't seen it myself, or spoken to anyone that criticises him so i was surprised to see the thread. 

I guess I don't read many of the match day threads so that may be it.

Cruyff Turn

Good defensively, wouldn't be relying on him as a RWB though, he's not a good enough footballer to play there.