***World Cup 2018 - Croatia v England***

Cade

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Apparently blatant trolling is allowed on Kickback now.

It's pretty embarrassing. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Hearts007

• Alex Kintner

• ri Alban

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
6 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

You never left, you never left, you never, Scotland never left...

This whole situation really exemplifies that scotland and England are definitely not a united kingdom in any  way shape or form. There are levels of bitterness from both countries to each other. The two nations on the whole don't like each other very much in equal measure.

I honestly don't believe the English like Andy Murray very much either, this is a guy who openly proclaimed he was "abe" back in wc 2006 probably before he and his pr team realised he was going to win Wimbledon one day so probably best to change tune. Anyway it's all very parochial, it's embarrassing that the British Isles who invented the game are so far far behind the other nations technically, that should be the main debate why are the uk nations so crap when they've had longer than everyone else in world football to improve? Hahaha

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
11 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Indeed.

What is the Scottish league modelled on - including its four divisions and even the names of those divisions? England. Why does Scotland have such a ludicrous number of clubs playing in a nationwide league? Because England does too. What do fans always complain about? The money Scottish football receives, as against what English football receives. 

Which country should Scottish football be modelled on? With its similar climate, similar sized population, small top league but long history of over-achieving at international level? Denmark. It'll never happen though.

And somehow, despite fighting a war only a generation ago, despite many of their mothers and fathers having been killed during that war, I'm having a really hard time imagining Croatia fans over the past 20 years decking themselves out in the colours of whoever Serbia were playing... or being frantic with every bone in their bodies for Serbia to lose every time they played. No doubt some do feel the latter. But more have, shocker, focused on themselves. On their own team, their own already excellent achievements even before this latest, greatest one of all. 

Croatia have believed in themselves. Logic says it should be impossible for a country their size to have reached the World Cup Final. But they've done it. And their expectations are such that, despite only 4m people, failure to qualify for any tournament is a disaster; not qualifying for the knockout stages is unacceptable. They demand more, they achieve more. They even sacked their coach last October, after a disappointing but hardly terminal qualifying campaign.

Scotland, on the other hand? Scotland managers make excuse after excuse. Content themselves with 'matching their seeding'. Serve up shit on a stick again and again. Yet despite a fantastic football history, despite more of its fans per capita attending club matches than anyone else in Europe, does Scotland demand more of its national team? No. It talks itself down, it gets incredibly angry at its neighbour talking itself up, and round and round we go. No change, no root and branch reform, just same old, same old. 

Incidentally, one other thing. This "they'll never get a better chance again!" nonsense. That's just another sign of how relentlessly negative the mindset of so many Scots is. Absolute, frantic desperation to pour scorn on anything England ever do; belief, for some bizarre reason, that history will just magically reassert itself (if it did, Scotland would start qualifying for things again); total ignorance of the serious problems facing countries like Argentina or even, perhaps, Germany; ignorance, too, of how many other nations are becoming more and more competitive, despite Croatia's success here; and of England's excellent youth setup and management structure beyond that.

Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan. Sorry folks - but with attitudes like these (Francis and others excepted), you get the national team you deserve. 

Get real it's not only Scots who are saying england had an easy draw. I'd say most fans across Europe and the world have said it too. It's just fact. Not to diminish England's achievements though aso you still have to win games but let's not get carried away, that England squad are not elite level. They could be but are far away from it at the moment.

Nookie Bear
15 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Apparently blatant trolling is allowed on Kickback now.

I hope that’s aimed at me

::troll::

Nookie Bear

Lawson: I’ve no idea what the financial situation is like in Croatia but I seriously doubt they have the cash to throw away on £40 football tops whenever Serbia are playing. 

In cash-rich UK, the Scots have plenty of free income to show their support for Argentina, Croatia or Ireland. 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Damn, you’re good. 

Nobody escapes the Scottish Inquisition. :ninja:

I'm just pulling yer leg. What's up with you Nooks? Annoyed with fellow Scots ripping England. 

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

This is peak Lawson.

Its also complete and utter bollocks.

When I take the piss out of my mates when England get beat I do so in the knowledge it has zero impact on Scotland's inability to qualify for a major tournament.

correct complete and utter bollocks.

who invented modern football - Scotland.

what were they doing in England before they played us, running with the ball until they lost it. What were they doing in Scotland, passing it. 

Football is modelled on Scotland, only the rules are English.

:ninja:

28 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

correct complete and utter bollocks.

who invented modern football - Scotland.

what were they doing in England before they played us, running with the ball until they lost it. What were they doing in Scotland, passing it. 

Football is modelled on Scotland, only the rules are English.

They were that pish at football, they decided to pick the ball up and run. 

Edited by ri Alban

1 minute ago, Frank1874 said:

EBAE4E57-287A-44B7-BED4-A34C66886C02.jpeg

What makes those stats more damning...is I bet the numbers were distorted by the game vs Panama.

19 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

What makes those stats more damning...is I bet the numbers were distorted by the game vs Panama.

This thread has degenerated somewhat since I last saw it. The sad thing for me is that the guy who deserves much of the create for Southgate's improvements is Scottish forwards coach Allan Russell - at foot of this article: https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6702046/world-cup-2018-gareth-southgate-set-pieces-nba-lincoln-love-train-england/

Seems that Scots have to go to England to succeed at football - from William McGregor to Ian Cathro...We just aren't ready to open our eyes to change.

Edited by Spellczech

William H. Bonney
Just now, Spellczech said:

This thread has degenerated somewhat since I last saw it. The sad thing for me is that the guy who deserves much of the create for Southgate's improvements is Scottish forwards coach Allan Russell - at foot of this article: https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6702046/world-cup-2018-gareth-southgate-set-pieces-nba-lincoln-love-train-england/

Was there not a Scot behind England's Euro 96 run too? 

Alex Kintner
Just now, Dino Velvet said:

Was there not a Scot behind England's Euro 96 run too? 

Yeah. Gary McAllister.

1 minute ago, Dino Velvet said:

:laugh:

You do wonder if all these guys who are extremely capable in support roles could not be better utilised by the SFA. McAllister was a good Assistant Manager; Russell, Cathro...Look at Macphee right now?...Even back to Archie Knox

Lads. There is a difference between having a laugh amongst ourselves plus taking the piss out of our English mates and the way this thread has started to go.

Its done now we've had our fun its probably time to move on. I know all my English mates have.

3 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Lads. There is a difference between having a laugh amongst ourselves plus taking the piss out of our English mates and the way this thread has started to go.

Its done now we've had our fun its probably time to move on. I know all my English mates have.

I'm assuming you have posted this on the wrong thread...

1 minute ago, Deviskan said:

I'm assuming you have posted this on the wrong thread...

Why would you assume that?

2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Why would you assume that?

Presumed you were talking about the exchange I just had with SE16...obviously incorrectly.

That was a wrong VAR decision. You cannot just show 1 second of footage. It hides the natural motion of the players...Mbappe in the way, the natural movement of a player jumping....

16 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

That was a wrong VAR decision. You cannot just show 1 second of footage. It hides the natural motion of the players...Mbappe in the way, the natural movement of a player jumping....

:D

Over here, Spellczech. :wavey:

The France v Croatia thread. 

Bindy Badgy

That's the most pissed off I've been after a game that doesn't involve Hearts or Scotland.

Felt like Croatia didn't have a chance for reasons beyond their control.

1 minute ago, Stokesy said:

That's the most pissed off I've been after a game that doesn't involve Hearts or Scotland.

About to say the exact same.  On the other thread. 

Edited by ri Alban

John Findlay

The best world cup final since 1970. That is the biggest compliment I can pay these two teams. Congratulations to France and a big commiserations to Croatia. Thank you Russia 2018  for the best world cup again since 1970.

1 minute ago, Stokesy said:

How it feels in this house too.  Whole thing spoiled by a shit ref - and it wasn't the first time he had a shit game. 

Bindy Badgy
9 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Woops, Wrong thread :)

Kane won the Golden Boot. But missed the chance(s) to make it 2-0 and a good chance of the final. 

There you go. Fine margins. 

Alex Kintner
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Kane won the Golden Boot. But missed the chance(s) to make it 2-0 and a good chance of the final. 

There you go. Fine margins. 

Damn fine margins

:jjyay:

So how come the annual European golden boot gets modified by what league you're in but the World Cup golden boot doesn't get modified by what stage of the tournament you scored in?