***World Cup 2018 - Croatia v England***

Cade

France await the winners in the Final on Sunday.

Belgium await the loser in the 3rd place play-off on Saturday.

Croatia started the tournament in fine form, beating Nigeria 2-0 then smashing Argentina 3-0 before a nervy 2-1 win over Iceland. 

Their round-of-sixteen match began in amazing fashion, with Denmark taking the lead in the 1st minute and Croatia leveling in the 4th. Then nothing else happened for 86 minutes. Then for another 30 after that. Even the resulting penalty shootout was low quality, ending 3-2 to Croatia.

The Quarter Final against Russia was a hard fought game with both sides battling away in midfield for the entire match. Russia took the lead on around half an hour, then Croatia pegged them back a few minutes later. In extra time Croatia took the lead only for Russia to peg them back a couple of minutes later. Penalties resulted and this time Croatia did better, winning 4-3.

So, Croatia do have quality in their team as we saw in their maximum points group stage but seem to be getting worse as the tournament goes on, having had to go all the way to pens in both knock-out rounds.

England had it easy in the group stage, with Tunisia and Panama only minor irritations. Their final group game was a bit of nothing, with England and Belgium both fielding B-teams.

Colombia proved to be a sterner test, although without James Rodrigues, they resorted to being niggly wee shites instead of professional football players. England joined them in sinking to the gutter and were throwing themselves to the floor and having sly wee digs themselves. England took the lead though another Harry Kane penalty but conceded in injury time that led to penalties, England winning 4-3.

Sweden were knackered and only tested Pickford in the England goal a couple of times in the Quarter Final. England never had to hit top gear to beat them 2-0. 

Both teams have already had to go the full distance in this tournament, so that particular mental test won't be as daunting for them.

Anything could happen in this game.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Hearts007

• Alex Kintner

• ri Alban

C'mon Croatia...the SUKERMAN expects!

Annihilate and humiliate England, sending them to a thrashing off the Belgium A team on Saturday.

Any Englishman that's trying to convince themselves that they're happy to be in the Semi Final...and indeed would be happy just to make the final, are completely and utterly deluding themselves.

LET THE SALTY TEARS FLOW,  TOYS CATAPULT OUT THE PRAM...AND THE EN-MASSE NATIONAL EMBARASSMENT THROUGH SOCIAL DISORDER BEGIN!

suker.jpg

Alex Kintner

Hoping Croatia play Brozavic as a holding midfielder in this one which will allow Modric and Rakatic to play further forward. Perisic has been poor so may drop out.

Hoping to see plenty of this tonight...

ClCDlNHWEAAgK8x-1170x658.jpg

Edited by Frank1874

Tough one to call. 

Lovren and Vyda don’t fill me with confidence as defenders, especially against someone like Kane who only needs half a yard to get a shot away.

Henderson on his own in midfield against Modric and Rakitic would be suicide by Southgate imo but I’m not a manager who has just got a team to a World Cup semi-final..

I think 2-1 England in ET but then France in the final. I thought the quality on show in yesterday’s game was better than anything Croatia or England have produced and that includes the Argentina game. 

Alex Kintner
Just now, Deviskan said:

I've got a feeling Rebic is gonna be the main man tonight...

I think Pickford has scapegoat written all over him and will be asvertising pizza with a bag over his head in three months time.

Escobar PHM

Croatia to score early. England to equalise late. 1-1. England to go through in extra time without the need for penalties.

2 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Hoping to see plenty of this tonight...

ClCDlNHWEAAgK8x-1170x658.jpg

I really, really want to see Bilic give Gary Neville a gigantic GIRFUY live on air if Croatia win.

ToadKiller Dog

It comes down to the Croatian midfield, if they find space and their best form Croatia win, if England can keep them quiet, take they big chance England will win . 

Should be another tight game could well go to penalties, but for me Croatia just. 

Escobar PHM
15 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Tough one to call. 

Lovren and Vyda don’t fill me with confidence as defenders, especially against someone like Kane who only needs half a yard to get a shot away.

Henderson on his own in midfield against Modric and Rakitic would be suicide by Southgate imo but I’m not a manager who has just got a team to a World Cup semi-final..

I think 2-1 England in ET but then France in the final. I thought the quality on show in yesterday’s game was better than anything Croatia or England have produced and that includes the Argentina game. 

Press are certain he's going to name an unchanged team which, on the face of it, leaves Henderson too much to cope with. He'd be better changing it and bringing in Dier and Rashford for Alli and Sterling IMO, but hey, he's reached the semi final, as you said, doing it his way so what do we know.

Yeh I don't think there's much pace in Croatia's defence either and they'll struggle against Englands forte, the set piece too.

I agree with your score prediction, including the bit about England winning in ET. I think at some stage in the game, Croatia will run out of gas before England do.

Neither team will beat France IMO.

Edited by Escobar PHM

11 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

I think Pickford has scapegoat written all over him and will be asvertising pizza with a bag over his head in three months time.

This. The overreaction to his performances (which have been perfect for their needs though rarely tested) have heaped unnecessary pressure on the lad. 

I hope he’s not a scapegoat as the English love one and end up like great whites around a seals carcass. They are ridiculous.

its too close to call for me, possession will undoubtedly be key and both have some great players.

if pushed I’d probably say England by a single goal. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

English comfortably. Croatia have run out of petrol 

Unfortunately this is what i am thinking.

England looked so, so comfortable against Sweden, a team they've historically struggles with.

Whoever wins this plays runner up to the French though.

England will get beat.

Southgate: "England players no where near level they'll be capable of"

The excuses have begun... young squad, learning experience, will win the Euros in a couple years time.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Homme said:

England looked so, so comfortable against Sweden, a team they've historically struggles with.

Total agreement. French are a complete team. They play to standard they take the trophy home 

1 minute ago, Homme said:

They did look comfortable against Sweden.

Two ways of looking at it; England made Sweden look awful by being good or Sweden were just awful !

I watched the game twice and believe the latter is true.

Croatia have the ability to beat anyone but they need to step up like they did against Argentina.

Do that and England are coming home, after another defeat to Belgium.

chester copperpot

What has surprised me is how well Jordan Henderson has played this tournament.

I have always had my doubts about him but he has played extremely well this tournament.

As for the game, England should take care of business unless Modric has a worldie then they will fancy it too.

England in extra time for me

Edited by chester copperpot

KineticBeat

Hoping for a Croatia win but reckon England will score a winner within the last 10 mins or so with the Croatians tiring and England being fresher due to their easy run.

The Internet

Croatia haven't looked very good the last couple of games. Definitely fancy England but hope Croatia turn up. 

Depends on how Croatia approach it , if they are bold and try to get at England's defence I would fancy them strongly . I've got a feeling they will play it to cautiously and give England to much respect . For that reason I fancy England tbh . 

The White Cockade

If Croatia are positive they can win

I fear they will sit back and hand the game to England on a plate

2-0 England

Hope i’ m wrong !

?

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, VladMagic said:

It's coming home!!

Sorry I will get my waistcoat ;)

Fixed that for you, Gareth!

I’m thinking it’ll be 1-0 or 2-0 to England. Sterling to have his say.

Of course France will win the final anyway.

By the light

Think England will have too much unfortunately. Croatia looked out on their feet after Russia game. A bridge too far them. 

I can see Croatia trying to control the pace of the game to a slow one. Will help with their energy levels if those are low after two 120 minute plus penalties games.

Henderson has played well in this tournament but Alli has been poor. If it's those two against Modric and Rakitic then that swings things a bit towards Croatia, but still probably leaves England as favourites.

Probably another game which will be decided by set pieces. Mandzukic with a back post header to win it will do for me!

Geoff Kilpatrick

3-1 Croatia. England blown away in the first 20 by a team that can open up that febrile defence.

This is England's first game against a team with street smart players who mostly play in top leagues. Of course Belgium fall into this category but as we saw that was pretty much B teams. 

1 hour ago, Deviskan said:

I really, really want to see Bilic give Gary Neville a gigantic GIRFUY live on air if Croatia win.

Almost immediately after the QF game  he was asked bout 3rd place play off and he looked a bit surprised& p'd off.  Later in the segment when the usual "football's coming home" crap got a mention he asked "what's coming home ? 3rd place?". 

Unfortunately I don't think Croatia will be able to handle England's power down the flanks and I'm going for a big England win from Magiure/corners/set pieces as per this tournament. 

NaturalOrder74

Croatia will hammer them, only game they haven’t looked convincing was against Russia and its hard to play the home nation. 

crpatia had the hardest group in the cup in my opinion and cruised it

Croatia are too good.

Anything can happen of course but England are up against it. 

The spirit and fight to win 2 games in penalty shoot outs overcomes any tiredness. 

2-0 Croatia 

England win, Sterling to score.

Just saw a boy from Dundee (Celtic Fan), wearing the 66 England top. We're not Jurrasic anymore

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

We've had every prediction under the sun so far.

Easy win for Croatia

Easy win for England

ET winner

Pens

:gocompare:

ET’s going home.

Bazzas right boot

Think Croatia will play into England's hands. 

Colombia and Sweden seemed scared, as if they were playing the EPL brand and played within themselves, with Colombia in particular taking 90 minutes to realise that they could play better than them. 

Expect Croatia to set up similarly, cagey and defence first, probably control the midfield but not actually threaten much. 

England haven't created much but they've scored when they are on top and their goalie has made crucial saves at good times. 

England to be clinical and Pick them off, game to be pretty dull. 

Or

6-3 Croatia. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

At the end of the day however, the winner tonight will lose to France in the final.

You would think. 

If Croatia have the legs after the last two rounds then its theirs to take, thay could prove critical if England have a chance.

Cruyff Turn

For the first time in this Tourney, England will have to play a side with world class midfielders. In each of their previous games, Henderson, Lingard and Alli have dominated the opposition in midfield, allowing them to bring their wingbacks into play, and have also been effective at stopping the opposition playing through them. 

I think it'll be a wee bitty different for England tonight as there will be times when Croatia will have long periods of possession. We've seen what happens when England contain, it's like a 9 man defence at times and they could get penned in a bit against a side that is great in possession. 

Set pieces are clearly the danger for Croatia, no team has been able to cope with their corners else and Croatia have conceded soft goals from corners. 

Could go either way, it'll be a fascinating game but England will get chances from set pieces tonight. 

2-1 Ingurlund after extra time.

SSN report this morning suggested Croatia had a surprisingly intense training session last night. Those lads are fine, so don’t fret. England got away with their hard game because Sweden were happy to concede possession and their fitness wasn’t tested. 

Croatia looked knackered, I grant you but they’re capable of controlling this game from the centre of the park. 

It is a hard one to call. 2-1 Croatia in 90.

scott herbertson

3-0 to England I'm afraid, and the hysteria will reach previously unknown levels, with Theresa May donning an England shirt and parliament being redesigned in the shape of a full English Breakfast

full english.jpg

Edited by scott herbertson

38 minutes ago, Morgan said:

At the end of the day however, the winner tonight will lose to France in the final.

That's what we all said at the last Euros

michael_bolton

I wouldn't put too much weight on Croatia's last two performances, as this game will suit them better.

There will be more space to play and more room for their good players to use the ball. Whether they win or not, I expect them to be much more impressive this evening than they were in either of their previous knock-out games.

I'd be surprised if England leave Henderson exposed, but if they do they are probably toast. For all the hype, England have yet to play a good team with good players. We'll find out a lot about them tonight.

Predicting results in football is pointless. Set plays could destroy Croatia, space to play in could destroy England.