The ‘It’s coming home’, or not, thread ( merged/updated )

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The Real Maroonblood
26 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

No not at all. I hate the Hobos with a passion and want them to fail every time. I am Scottish and proud of being so. However, I see myself as British and have no real hatred of England or their football team. Yes I get fed up of the media and the way they carry on but them doing well in the World Cup does not bother me. Neither would it bother me if one of the other 2 nations which make up the UK do well in a tournament. What bothers me most is that by hoping England do well you are classed as a Rangers supporter and all that goes with it. I appreciate and enjoy the rivalry, but  I don't like anti English sentiment in the extreme which often masks anti British feelings which given our unique and important history is hypocritical.

Disagree.

I am proud to be from Edinburgh but I wouldn’t want the Hobos to win a raffle just like I wouldn’t want England to win anything.

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• AuldReekie444

• Deviskan

• redjambo

colinmaroon
14 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

And he was right. The Scots have never stopped going on about it since. :P

Incidentally: the opening to the Uruguayan TV coverage of the World Cup has a montage of its history. Starting with Bobby Moore in you-know-when. When I saw that, I pictured you. Seething away as only you can. :) 

So, first, I am the only "seether" about 66 and, second, the English media have not been shoving it down our throats in that time?

So says the man who lives over 11,000 km away.  Finger on the pulse, eh?

colinmaroon
4 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Colin, annoying English media against the death and horror of war don't equate. I say again, try and put this in the correct context. 

You are the one who has blown it out of the original context but, what can you expect from the postmodern mindset, who think context is how a prisoner orders his drugs!!!

You can only beat what is put in front of you, but arguably given Belgium rested their stars and James was out injured for Colombia, England have progressed this far without facing any world class players at all. They have serious momentum however and if they get to the final, irrespective of whether it is Belgium or France, it's a genuine 50/50 chance.

20 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

You can only beat what is put in front of you, but arguably given Belgium rested their stars and James was out injured for Colombia, England have progressed this far without facing any world class players at all. They have serious momentum however and if they get to the final, irrespective of whether it is Belgium or France, it's a genuine 50/50 chance.

I agree. I thought Sweden would be the first real test and they passed it with flying colours.

They could easily beat Croatia as they haven't, bar the Argentina game, really shone.

It would take a big collapse from France or Belgium for them to win it though and I don't think that will happen. If they get to the final and lose, they can be very happy with their tournament.....and look forward to the future.

However, I have Croatia to win the whole thing at 18/1 so I hope England play their last game on Saturday.

?

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

You are the one who has blown it out of the original context but, what can you expect from the postmodern mindset, who think context is how a prisoner orders his drugs!!!

I don't know what you mean by this Colin but I assume it is insulting. Have a good day anyway. Peace

I'm starting to think its in the bag for them. Croatia have had some very tough games. France and Belgium are basically EPL teams so no surprises in either line up.....thankfully the weather is good so I can be outside and ignore the media for large periods of time. 

jack D and coke
On 08/07/2018 at 12:01, tcjambo said:

I live in England four days per week and most English people view us as British just like them and would support us in any sporting event except where it is against them. Andy Murray is a good example.

I spoke to an English couple who said I don’t know they can call Andy Murray the first Brit to win Wimbledon when he isn’t English. Not saying that’s a common view but It made me laugh. I find anytime you bring up Scotland in general it’s met with derision whether it’s football, rugby, politics whatever and I’ve spent a lot of time in England, probably ten years on and off. I have good mates down there and I don’t have any hate for them as a nation at all but this they’ll support us stuff is complete pish. Have you never listened to their fans singing lol? Most of the ones I know don’t like Andy Murray either, purely just because he’s a Scot and a proper one at that. 

if England deserve to win this then fair enough but actually supporting them is pure wrong un behaviour. 

sairyinthat
On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 14:43, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

More support for england on here than for our own national team. 

However, I'm actually finding this England team not to like. 

However, I also don't want them to win it for a few reasons, firstly the media - bawbags, 2nd_ rangers fans, 3rd- they aren't very good, 4thly - English nationalism will go into hyperdrive and spill over into politics and particularly brexit. 

They do have a chance, and if they did win it I'd be happy for the English folk I know and confused for the Scots who will celebrate the victory. 

I will also laugh if they get beat! 

Only a short time to wait for the realisation of your final point.

jack D and coke

Aye exactly. 

I don’t remember any hun tramps wearing Welsh tops either cos we’re aw British an that. 

Honestly just for huns alone nobody should want England to win. 

8 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Midlanders are a funny bunch...!

Maybe my experience is biased as I am in an area where rugby and football are on an equal footing - but so many people I know that are English are quite put out about the hate from us.

They say they’d support us before the Welsh every day of the week.

Now that is true is my experience!!

upgotheheads

This is the first World Cup since 1966 that I can't recall an English commentator referencing it within minutes of a broadcast starting. That's 52 years FFS.

If they win it this year my grandchildren (aged 3 and 1) will be 54 and 53 before they are spared.

Fortunately I'll be lucky if I only have to put up with 20 years of it.

shaun.lawson
4 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

So, first, I am the only "seether" about 66 and, second, the English media have not been shoving it down our throats in that time?

So says the man who lives over 11,000 km away.  Finger on the pulse, eh?

I have something called a VPN. It means I've watched the whole World Cup through the BBC or ITV. And as a result, I know you're talking utter nonsense, as per.

If I were to look through your posts, I wonder how many times you've mentioned You Know When, and I wonder how many times the English posters on this site have? You're obsessed with it Colin. Absolutely obsessed with it. The rest of us moved on long, long, long ago.

10 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Midlanders are a funny bunch...!

Maybe my experience is biased as I am in an area where rugby and football are on an equal footing - but so many people I know that are English are quite put out about the hate from us.

They say they’d support us before the Welsh every day of the week.

No support in this neck of the woods for the Druids in 2016 - they hate the Welsh.

As for Midlanders - 3276 "999 calls" in W Mids alone in 24 hours after the match on Saturday (a record) . Now punters whingeing they don't have a fanzone in Brum.  This is all headline stuff on local BBC news tonight.  

Edited by NANOJAMBO

Lord Montpelier
On 07/07/2018 at 18:13, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Messages of support for England here please. Imagine the open bus tours. Two wins away.

England have done a heck of a lot better than our lot

On 07/07/2018 at 18:13, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Messages of support for England here please. Imagine the open bus tours. Two wins away.

9 hours ago, Deviskan said:

Sorry, but you clearly don't get it...

Can you please confirm why wanting England to lose is being Anti-English...or hating the English?

It appears you're also unable to differentiate between 'hating' something...and sporting rivalry.

England aren't Scotland's sporting rivals. 

Havent been for a long time! 

Aldi have just announced they will close stores early if/when England get to WC final. Don't know if this includes Scotland.

crichiejambos

Not all the English are behind the team Liverpool fans seem to have an agenda against them no sure if it a political thing? And there's footage of a London radio station and a guy who phones in and says the team doesn't represent him as there are to many "black" players in the team/squad! The station is LBC I think? 

Craig Gordons Gloves

I genuinely hope they get pumped out by Croatia in massively controversial circumstances - something like a 96th minute winner from Modric as Lovren distracts Pickford by sticking his boaby in his ear.

I'm not at all anti-English, i'd just like to live in a world where England don't win the world cup. 

Alex Kintner
4 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

I genuinely hope they get pumped out by Croatia in massively controversial circumstances - something like a 96th minute winner from Modric as Lovren distracts Pickford by sticking his boaby in his ear.

I'm not at all anti-English, i'd just like to live in a world where England don't win the world cup. 

Best not to give them something to make excuses about. Better if they just get outclassed by Croatia and then whoever they play in the 3rd place playoff. Will show their team up for what it is.

I P Knightley
11 hours ago, maroonlegions said:
No automatic alt text available.

:greggy:

Brilliant. I'll use that with my mate who's been trolling me with "It's coming home" memes for over a week.

4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

This Twitter thread sums it up nicely. He provides many newspaper examples.

https://twitter.com/mattleslie74/status/1016288682687549440?s=19

Exemplary work.

As you say, excellent work.

Personally, I won't be getting hot and bothered if England win more games and I won't be leaping up and down should they lose. I have many friends who will be happy if they win and I'll (obviously) wind them up should they lose.

But that Twitter thread sums up for me what's annoying; it's the media and their blinkered view that England is a far superior part of the UK.

For anyone struggling for a reason not to want them winning the whole bloody thing

Alex Kintner
4 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

For anyone struggling for a reason not to want them winning the whole bloody thing

Showing their class once again. And this is them winning. Goodness knows what it’ll be like when the inevitable happens :facepalm:

colinmaroon
8 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

I don't know what you mean by this Colin but I assume it is insulting. Have a good day anyway. Peace

It wasn't an insult, just a fact these days, but I'm not surprised by the easily offended generation thinking it was.  Sad really!

colinmaroon
6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Aye exactly. 

I don’t remember any hun tramps wearing Welsh tops either cos we’re aw British an that. 

Honestly just for huns alone nobody should want England to win. 

Head nail on hit!!!

colinmaroon
3 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

England have done a heck of a lot better than our lot

What in the name of the wee turncoat has that got to do with the "imperialist" loyals parading their Wimpy Burger Bellies in their Engerlund shirts, other than having a pop at Scotland while trying to deflect any pops at Engerlund?

jack D and coke
3 hours ago, GBJambo said:

England aren't Scotland's sporting rivals. 

Havent been for a long time! 

Neither are Celtic a rival of Hearts then? Haven’t been for a long time. 

Same thing? Should I be cheering Timothy on in Europe etc? 

Will i ****!! 

colinmaroon
5 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

I have something called a VPN. It means I've watched the whole World Cup through the BBC or ITV. And as a result, I know you're talking utter nonsense, as per.

If I were to look through your posts, I wonder how many times you've mentioned You Know When, and I wonder how many times the English posters on this site have? You're obsessed with it Colin. Absolutely obsessed with it. The rest of us moved on long, long, long ago.

Another load of dribble!

I'm the only one who hasn't moved on???  Aye right!

This from someone whose experience of the drivel we've put up with for 50 ears is restricted to TV coverage of this World Cup.

You a journalist by any chance, you know the type who get all their info off the web and TV?  Or worse, an academic who can't be bothered with establishing any facts before writing your ill-informed and totally inaccurate clap trap!

Good grief, you haven't even read this thread!  At least I hope so because if you have and "I'm the ONLY one," your as blind as a Bandy Legged South American Coot - extinct of course, 'cause their blind!

In the meantime, how *** annoying is the blithering song. Please knock them out so we never hear it again.

shaun.lawson
25 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Another load of dribble!

You need to let it go Colin. Deep breath, in and out. :)  I couldn't give a damn about something England did before I was even born. In fact, I've often wished it'd never happened, because it piled ridiculous amounts of pressure and expectation on so many managers and squads, and left us wedded to an outmoded, prehistoric style of play. 

But you sit there, desperately waiting to get offended by something. You're like an old woman. This is the World Cup! Enjoy it man. It's great! :thumbsup: 

I P Knightley
25 minutes ago, mayfield said:

In the meantime, how *** annoying is the blithering song. Please knock them out so we never hear it again.

I like the original, particularly the chord progression when the band kicks in. 

To be clear, I DON'T like crowds of drunkards singing it. 

42 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

It wasn't an insult, just a fact these days, but I'm not surprised by the easily offended generation thinking it was.  Sad really!

:muggy:

Give it a rest, or the "Old Man Yells at Cloud" gif comes next.

Alex Kintner
31 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Another load of dribble!

This from someone whose experience of the drivel we've put up with for 50 ears is restricted to TV coverage of this World Cup.

You a journalist by any chance, you know the type who get all their info off the web and TV?  Or worse, an academic who can't be bothered with establishing any facts before writing your ill-informed and totally inaccurate clap trap!

Good grief, you haven't even read this thread!  At least I hope so because if you have and "I'm the ONLY one," your as blind as a Bandy Legged South American Coot - extinct of course, 'cause their blind!

Doubt he’s a journalist. No journalist worth their salt would mistake Uruguay for Colombia or get Gary Neville mixed up with Danny Murphy.

BRAVEHEART1874

If England get past Croatia without needing extra time and pens then to be fair what  with the Sweden result,  then they will be doing no bad. I think Belgium are a lot better team though especially the passing/ possession  and obviously the previous encounters result so don't muck it up against France.

I am sure boris Johnson and David  Davis will appreciate it if Belgium win the World Cup they can still claim it has come home since we are still in the European Union with Brussels being the top dogs ;)

HeartofIron
12 hours ago, Frank1874 said:

:pleasing:

It's not an England fan though. 

That was filmed after Russia beat Spain. 

I'm English, obviously want us to win. Think it's 50/50 in the semi, really could go either way. 

As for the final though - can't see either England or Croatia beating France or Belgium. Both of those too strong, with much better individual players. 

At the start of the tournament I'd have taken a semi (old enough to appreciate any sort of semi nowadays) so whatever happens from here I'll take it. 

As for the English fans damaging property etc - embarrassing drunk arseholes that I apologise for on behalf of the rest of England. Honestly, some of us are good guys! 

9 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Has Davie Moyes apologised for them yet? 

Alex Kintner
33 minutes ago, HeartofIron said:

It's not an England fan though. 

That was filmed after Russia beat Spain. 

I'm English, obviously want us to win. Think it's 50/50 in the semi, really could go either way. 

As for the final though - can't see either England or Croatia beating France or Belgium. Both of those too strong, with much better individual players. 

At the start of the tournament I'd have taken a semi (old enough to appreciate any sort of semi nowadays) so whatever happens from here I'll take it. 

As for the English fans damaging property etc - embarrassing drunk arseholes that I apologise for on behalf of the rest of England. Honestly, some of us are good guys! 

Almost all English people I know are good guys. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

:laugh: It was an insult, you're a bigot and I'm the same age as you ya muppet :laugh:

8 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I like the original, particularly the chord progression when the band kicks in. 

To be clear, I DON'T like crowds of drunkards singing it. 

A bit like Sunshine on Leith perhaps ?

?‍?

Edited by Boab

1 hour ago, Boab said:

A bit like Sunshine on Leith perhaps ?

?‍?

:D Cue mayhem.

Having lived down south for the best part of thirty years, the last thing I want is England to win it. Nice one - nil win for Croatia, with face saved by England would be lovely ta.

Although a 5-1 horsing would also be quite fun.:pleased:

colinmaroon
10 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

You need to let it go Colin. Deep breath, in and out. :)  I couldn't give a damn about something England did before I was even born. In fact, I've often wished it'd never happened, because it piled ridiculous amounts of pressure and expectation on so many managers and squads, and left us wedded to an outmoded, prehistoric style of play. 

But you sit there, desperately waiting to get offended by something. You're like an old woman. This is the World Cup! Enjoy it man. It's great! :thumbsup: 

So you're a crap psychologist as well!!!

Not only can you read the mood of a nation from the other side of the Atlantic, you can read minds and make assumptions on posts just because they call you lot out for what you are.

The "arrogance" in your posts kind of sums up the whole Engerlund thing.

PS  A lot happened before you were born, typical of the "Me! Me!" mindset to dismiss what's gone before as if it never happened, "It's not important!"  The attitude of the 21st century village idiot who thinks that the whole universe is where he is.

No longer active

Well even the RAF did it over London lol 

RAF London.jpeg

Edited by George Cowie